ADDAC0016 Doepfer 24HP Expansion Kit - buyer beware

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

erstlaub
Super Deluxe Wiggler

ADDAC0016 Doepfer 24HP Expansion Kit - buyer beware

Post by erstlaub » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:21 am

I know there's a Addac specific subforum but it's not exactly the busiest so thought I'd put my experience/warning here rather than there, mods, please feel free to move if you'd prefer.

my awesome wife got me one of these for my Doepfer P6 and....

The 2 mounting holes are in the wrong place by about 4-5mm, given that (other than the holes for fixing the modules) that is basically all there is to this product it's a massive disappointment.

After a bunch of wrestling, I eventually managed to get the fixing screws to catch and then realised that the supplied 12mm (possibly longer!) M3 screws made it impossible to actually fit any modules into the 2 of the 3 bays where the fixing screws are. I tried a bunch of 4hp modules and the screws impeded all of them, I guess it'd be fine if you fancied putting in some blanking panels but not much else :hmm:

So, I've got a rattly bracket, 'attached' to my case by 2, extra long screws that are poking about 8mm out the top at angles because I pulled them back so that I could at least mount some modules after the hassle of taking all my modules out, taking the block of wood out, taking the rail out, etc.

Sure, i could drill another/expand the hole in my expensive Doepfer case and also try to cut down the screws to fit but given that the whole thing cost nearly €50, I'm pretty hacked off it has to be said.

There are apparently 2 different Doepfer cases and we were emailed asking which version I had (with pictures) which we double checked and informed them about. Unless they have sent me the wrong version after that, this is basically a waste of time/money that doesn't seem to have been tested on the one specific existing product that it's designed to be mounted in.

I have contacted them (not really sure what they can say other than 'drill holes in your case and cut down the massive screws') but thought it worth warning anyone that fancied treating themselves over the festive season, at least worth holding off incase it's just a bad batch or something similar...

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:57 am

Sorry to hear about this frustration! It looks like you may have mistakenly received the incorrect expansion kit. Despite your efforts to avoid! Hopefully it get's sorted out after the holidays.

erstlaub
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by erstlaub » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:35 am

I'm not so sure unless the screwholes moved by a few mm between iterations of Doepfer cases.

Pretty baffled by the long screws too, if the holes were in the correct place, 6 or maybe 8mm would do it as opposed to the 12 that end up with the thread stopping any modules fitting in.

EDIT:

So I've had some chat with Addac and it looks like there may be a very slightly different version of the Doepfer case that they aren't aware of.

Mine was bought new in Jan 2015, it' has the single bump on the corner bracket. The wooden inserts seem to be rebated by a few mm too which obviously makes the 12mm screw/washer combo stick too far into the case also.

I'm not sure how you can avoid the same issues as me, perhaps if you're thinking of getting them, measure exactly where the fixing holes are in your case and talk to Addac prior? If you have the means/desire to do some case surgery (and supply your own 8mm M3s) you'll get by but it's worth being aware of if you don't have access to tools/supplies like me at present.

Good handling of a frustrating/confusing situation though, kudos to Andre/Addac, thanks.

:tu:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”