MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Dub Techniques
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Dub Techniques
southphillysynths
Wanting to hear some opinions on making modular/electronic dub music.

I really love dub music and always find myself learning basslines and vibing out on grooves. I'm looking to get some advice on trying to make this music either with modular, or with synths in general.

to people who make dub, do you find its easier to use stand alone groove boxes (such as a few mono synths, drum machines and effects) or to patch everything using a modular and sequencers.

In a way I think that trying to program everything with sequencers might be laborious, I feel that using a drum machine and a few effects with maybe a mono synth would be easiest and then maybe use a looper for basslines on bass/synth.

any ideas and examples of modular/electronic dub would be greatly appreciated!
vedicspaceprogram
I use a Beatstep Pro as my main sequencer for:

bass synth- going a preamp, compressor, eq into a mixer
bass drum
snare
high hat
wavetable synth for chopping guitar

pamela workout uses clock from beatstep and sends to
clock divider
sampler
modulation devices
filters
effects

everything goes into a mixer with sends to
a stereo spring reverb (necessary for authentic dirty 70s dub)
Prophecy PiPhase -bi phase clone
El Capistan- tape delay
Mutron III+
Vapor Trails delay

I mix live to tape or digital using mixer and effects.

This method allows me to do modular dub.
Auxar
Some modular dub I recorded recently.
The modules used in this patch are in the video description on youtube.

Helmey
I love dub music too. Here's a live attempt I made a couple of weeks ago with my modular and a TR8. Based on the results and feedback, I plan to do a lot more....

Making dub is definitely easier and cheaper just using regular synths and outboard effects, but it's definitely fun and totally do-able with a modular.
cj3000
Auxar wrote:

This is Great. I enjoyed it very much.
Christoph.
Auxar
Thanks Christoph :-)
southphillysynths
thanks for these examples both are great! Now that I'm thinking of it it is probably easier with a few groove boxes, but it would always be fun to further process with the modular as well, just depends on your music process/types of sounds you like to hear.
gimber
Not modular specifically, but I like this article from Sound on Sound. The ideas about feedback loops and effects can apply pretty much anywhere.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul07/articles/dubmixing.htm
Hainbach
[s]https://soundcloud.com/hainbach/they-came-in-like-butterflies[/s]

[s]https://soundcloud.com/hainbach/4am-all-is-well[/s]

Here are two dub pieces of mine - lots of live echo twiddling and muting/unmuting. The Piston Honda is my favorite for dubby chords and LPGs make lovely natural percussion.

I do have to say that a mixer in addition to the modular is essential for me - three echoes and phaser on the AUX and I am pretty much in heaven.
intuitionnyc
I really enjoy the dub techno vibe. Is that similar? Mr. Green

I like using the modular for that. razz
Auxar
Another modular dub(techno) encounter.
Rough patch notes in the video description.

suboptimal
I'm aspiring toward the dub techno sound (like everyone else, right?) and have spent a lot of time watching live dub vids on Youtube (e.g. classic reggae dub) where the focus is on the mixer to see how others do it. The masters are a lot of fun to watch.
dubonaire
suboptimal wrote:
I'm aspiring toward the dub techno sound (like everyone else, right?) and have spent a lot of time watching live dub vids on Youtube (e.g. classic reggae dub) where the focus is on the mixer to see how others do it. The masters are a lot of fun to watch.

Although Moritz von Oswald doesn't say too much about production techniques, one thing he does say is that he always rode the faders. I think hands on dubbing is a key to getting the organic sound. Aligned with that is unless you have a specific rhythmic outcome in mind don't sync your delays.
Helmey
Here's a great interview with Adrian Sherwood:

If you haven't checked out Dub Syndicate, you should. They are fantastic and Adrian is their Mad Professor.
dubonaire
Helmey wrote:
Here's a great interview with Adrian Sherwood:

If you haven't checked out Dub Syndicate, you should. They are fantastic and Adrian is their Mad Professor.

You should check out African Head Charge (an Onu band), they play dub at the instrument level without dubbing on the desk - incredible.
FrankMurder
Its not "dub" per say but its dubby and you can see how it is done on the modular.

subcutaneous
A lot of great dub examples.... applause
wselman
Dub is definitely a big influence on my own music. I like a lot of dub music, but I'm not trying to recreate dub music. Rather, I'm borrowing the production method as a creative process.

I use a modular, a few synths, and outboard gear with a computer. Dub is primarily a live performance. Being able to approach studio equipment as an instrument is important. Tactile and simple is essential.

The computer is great as a multi-track recorder and also for some sequences. You can set up a computer with a controller, but I prefer dedicated devices.

I've never really shared any of my music here, but since we're sharing examples of modular with dub productino techniques.... This album was recorded with in live takes that were then edited down.

https://hausumountain.bandcamp.com/album/equatorial-night
CF3
dubonaire wrote:
I think hands on dubbing is a key to getting the organic sound. Aligned with that is unless you have a specific rhythmic outcome in mind don't sync your delays.

Definitely this. Mixing technique is paramount. Practice. Practice. Practice.

stk
Dub music has been a consistent undercurrent in my life for 20 years.
My 2c;
Equipment is irrelevant, approach and attitude is everything.
Listen to and learn from the old masters, then take it somewhere else.
Like techno, dub is true future music.
Reggae is the touchstone, love it.
Technique is a state of mind as much as a physical process.
Feedback the feedback.
Love.
cptnal
For that Studio One rimshot echo sound - an open feedback delay (Warps with Parasite, Chronoblob...) with a filter in the path.
Estes
Any new or old analog delays out there that you recommend? maybe pedals?
prae
Auxar wrote:

this is fucking awesome
slam
Auxar wrote:

Love this! Rockin' Banana!
nomadjames
Auxar wrote:

That’s some awesome work man!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2