MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Cleaning Dotcom / MOTM Front Panels
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Cleaning Dotcom / MOTM Front Panels
Henfield
I almost hate to ask this, but here goes: I have built my modular from many used modules. However, I just bought my first new module, a Dotcom Q106. With this new module in my rack, I now notice how "dirty and dusty" many of my other modules really are! Any advice on cleaning the front faces without affecting the paint / silk screening / electronics?

Thanks,

Henfield................................
SynthBaron
Isopropyl works fine for me.
ach_gott
I just use a dry q-tip. Seems to work for almost anything. On Modcan's white surfaces (and the Octopus, Fat Controller), I just wet it a little.
megaohm
I just use water...and an old sock.
Keep a clean dry towel next to you.
Wipe the panel with the wet rag and buff dry with the towel.
Very low impact.
Henfield
Thank you for the quick responses! I used the water and towel idea and it mostly looks fine. I will use the Isopropanol idea when I have more time to devote to the cleaning.

Thanks again,

Henfield.......................
bwhittington
megaohm wrote:

Like this?

megaohm
bwhittington wrote:
megaohm wrote:

Like this?

I'd need a bigger sock. headbang
doctorvague
I use this stuff to clean just about anything imaginable. I've turned a bunch of people on to it and people always come back and thank me. I've used it on all kinds of delicate stuff like LCD screens etc and it's never harmed anything. Plus it's made by Stoner Products so it has to be good!
Fnord
Eugene Stoner?? Sniper
jfm3
Five times makes it clean.
sduck
jfm3 wrote:

Beat me to it -

Thalassa
SynthBaron wrote:

I use isopropyl too, but be careful because some inks/paints can be solved with it.
Also you can use a silver/metal cleaner. but this method is better is you have the panel disassembled ( without pots, jacks ... ).

But remember always to try the method in a small part of the front panel....
goom
Becareful with alcohol - I've seen it wipe silkscreening off of front panels before. Unless something has really gone wrong (spilled, messy dried foods, or worse), I wouldn't think a strong cleaner is necessary. If needed, a damp cotton rag (not dripping) should work for most grungy synths.

When I clean my synths, I use a soft, wide paintbrush. It works great for getting the dust out from between knobs, keys, and other hard to reach areas. It's quick too.
sunsinger
Straight Gin works for me. I don't clean the synth with it, just drink it. Then I don't care if my synth is clean, or anything else.
slovo
sduck wrote:
jfm3 wrote:

Beat me to it -

(video)

That was UF)@#U*@(*Fing HILARIOUS. 5 stars, drew!!
JohnLRice
Thalassa wrote:
SynthBaron wrote:

I use isopropyl too, but be careful because some inks/paints can be solved with it.
Also you can use a silver/metal cleaner. but this method is better is you have the panel disassembled ( without pots, jacks ... ).

But remember always to try the method in a small part of the front panel....

WHOA! woah Welcome Thalassa! w00t I thought you've been around on Muff's for a while but maybe I'm just used to seeing your name on YouTube or something! hihi
Thalassa
JohnLRice wrote:
I thought you've been around on Muff's for a while but maybe I'm just used to seeing your name on YouTube or something! hihi

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up It's normal... I think that I'm in too many places at the same time... electro-music,youtube, yahoogroups, facebook, blogs,flirck....
suitandtieguy
I should clarify alcohol will absolutrely not damage my panels at all. You'd need sandpaper for that.
bf
I clean my panels with sandpaper.
julian
i would / do use warm water and washing up liquid.

propan-2-ol (iso...can never spell the rest) will strip some inks / paints, but some much quicker than others -

eg. use it on a tb303 / 606 and itll strip the silver, but leave the black in place (for a while)

another eg. i used it once to strip an ms20 that someone had spray painted, probably with an acrylic based paint. i could strip the paint, and leave the silk screen in place, however, if id scrubbed at the silk screen, and left the panel to 'soak' it would have removed the screen (i tested on a small area)
julian
...oh yeah

most infills used on engraved panels are propan-2-ol soluable. so watch out for that one : )
more be us
Isopropyl and 'lighter fluid' have both worked for me... not affecting either the screen-ink, or the panel(s)... uh... but that's on my Dotcom, and I wouldn't guess about others (even though I used to be an engraver).

Also- if you ever get a scratch or blemish (esp. around mounting holes)... try using a permanent marker. If course, it depends on what finish and color you're working with... but 'black' works really well on Dotcom's. That's a trick I learned from the 'furniture business'.... most delivery guys will carry brown-markers (some are actually a type of stain)(and different shades for different woods) to fill-in scratches (and hope the customer doesn't notice). And to a large degree, it usually works. Most often, the only way that you can see it, is if you look at it with the light reflecting directly on the area... and usually, that doesn't seem to be much of an issue.

I recently tried just a plain, ol' brown permanent marker on my Dotcom walnut cabinet, and the results were better than I expected. The trick is... getting the tip and ink down into the scratch, so that the wood can be seen absorbing the ink. Then, if you need to 'lighten it' a bit... rub it with a cloth (sounds like something my ex said), and that often works well. Thing is... even if it's a bit darker (or lighter) than the finish... it still looks better than the untreated scratch.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1