MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Cortex with 3 trins
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author Cortex with 3 trins
Ddorward
How specifically would I hook these up together ? I've tried a few different things but nothing so far-- please help
ThatFunnyLookinGuy
How are you hooking them up? There's really only two ways: either plug the 3trins composite output into the green component input of the VC (this gives a black and white image though), or you can get the new 3trins adapter that lzx just released, which splits the trins output into the three 1/8" color signals that lzx modules use.
Ddorward
Ok guess I'll be getting that adapter then..... Thanks!!
tenshun
the way i connect my 3trinsrgb to the visual cortex is i take the composite out of the 3trins and then connect it to the green (i think green sends sync signals correct me if im wrong)input decoder of the cortex. then take a patch cable from the black part of the input decoder and connect it to the black input of the colourize.

from there you switch on mix on channel A. there you will see the output from the 3trinsrgb.
Paulyvoks
I have been using a Video to YCPCr/RGsB convertor from the 3trins to the RG&B in of the VC. Works great.
AR126
been thinking about a 3trins myself.
i assume that @the moment,it's DIY,so i'll have to wait.
Dirty_Bill
tenshun wrote:
the way i connect my 3trinsrgb to the visual cortex is i take the composite out of the 3trins and then connect it to the green (i think green sends sync signals correct me if im wrong)input decoder of the cortex. .

The Cortex will sync to a composite signal in the Y (Green) input and output a the luminance information on

The 3Trins outputs composite video (albeit with 'interesting' form of composite sync, not to NTSC spec but generally close enough). My Cortex locks on the 3Trins composite out pretty well. As tenshun mentioned the decoded signal can accessed via the Luma jack.

I have been using the LZX trines adapter board to get the individual, voltage level shifted, R/G/B oscillator outputs to patch directly into the LZX. I have been attaching this via the main 3Trins patch bay, not the internal expansion header.

AR126 wrote:
been thinking about a 3trins myself.
i assume that @the moment,it's DIY,so i'll have to wait.

Looks like Gijs is sold out of kits for now, the waitlist is back. I haven't heard of plans for another assembled run from Bleep...
hinotori
@Dirty_Bill Thanks for the info, I was just wondering why you have been attaching the adapter to the main 3trinsRGB+1c patch bay and not the expansion header?

I completed my build of the "3trinsRGB+1c to LZX adapter board" and have discovered that it doesn't work as intended. I did all possible checks on my build and there were no issues, and the only way to get it to work was as you said, using the R G and B from the main patch bay.

Here's a description of what happened and what the work around is for anyone else thinking of buying and building the adapter board as it doesn't work as expected (not intended?) as is:

After completing the "3trinsRGB+1c to LZX adapter board" and connecting it to the 6 pins expansion header on the right hand side of the 3trinsRGB+1c it disrupts the composite output of the 3trinsRGB+1c and forces a black/blank screen. Also, no waveforms connected from the 3trinsRGB+1c expander header RGB outputs to the Visual Cortex ins appear on the Visual Cortex, more blankness.

When removing the expander from the 6 pins expansion header the 3trinsRGB+1c is happy again and I can see the video signal clearly from the composite out.

IF you connect +5 and GND from the 6 pin 3trinsRGB+1c expansion header on the right hand side of the board to the "3trinsRGB+1c to LZX adapter board" BUT connect cables from the Rout, Gout and Bout of the main patch bay of the 3trinsRGB+1c to the R, G, B in on the "3trinsRGB+1c to LZX adapter board" it starts to work, the composite out of the 3trinsRGB+1c is happily still sending a signal and the R, G and B output jacks on the "3trinsRGB+1c to LZX adapter" generate imagery on screen via the LZX Visual Cortex.

So, there is a way to get it to work but it is a bit of a messy cabling fix. Does anyone have any idea why it doesn't work as expected attaching everything directly to the 6 pin expansion on the right hand side of the 3trinsRGB+1c?

Has anyone else successfully built the adapter and had different results?

I may get a scope out and check what is going on, but I'm a little frustrated that it only seems to function with a bit of a clumsy workaround.
Dirty_Bill
Lars has posted modified assembly docs to get the output buffer to work on the expansion header. From Facebook:

"I've made a couple BOM corrections on the LZX output expander PCB, and there's also a wiring modification required. The documents for download on this page have been updated to reflect these changes, and we're completing shipping these out to everyone who has ordered! Thanks for your patience."

Output Expander
hinotori
thanks for the info Dirty Bill.

so, is the error with the 3trins circuit design or that of the adapter. And did these boards go out without being tested? Will an updated design be made available?

I'm just looking at the necessary wiring changes and it looks like it makes it far more difficult to build a nice expander/adapter box that will plug in and out of the 3trins easily, something I'm keen to do to keep the whole thing durably portable.

Does anyone has any ideas how this could be achieved as I don't want the adapter hard wired to the 3trins?

@Lars?
hinotori

^ for anyone not active on facebook
hinotori
so, I'm just attempting this mod and am I right in thinking that basically there are three 0.1uf caps missing from the adapter PCB design?

If that's the case I would rather cut traces on that than on the 3trinsRGB+1c PCB as there is far more room.

Edit: and remembering to remove the 6 surplus resistors
Dirty_Bill
hinotori wrote:
so, I'm just attempting this mod and am I right in thinking that basically there are three 0.1uf caps missing from the adapter PCB design?

If that's the case I would rather cut traces on that than on the 3trinsRGB+1c PCB as there is far more room.

Edit: and remembering to remove the 6 surplus resistors

No, the issue is with the coupling caps on the 3Trins. These need to be removed from the signal path for the adapter board to work. I haven't looked closely enough at the rest of the schematic to see why the resistor mods need to happen...

I haven't attempted the mod because my adapter is already cased.
hinotori
thumbs up
hinotori
for reference here is some important information regarding modding the 3trins for the adapter to work from Lars on Facebook:

"The caps provide AC coupling of the blanked VCO signals going into the composite encoder chip. We want the DC coupled signal on the other side of these caps. I found that when trying to pull the signal post-caps and into the buffer circuit, that it killed the output of the AD724 (the AD724's input clamp doesn't like it.)

I also discovered that the signal on the 3Trins going into those AC coupling caps is already roughly 0V-to-1V and blanked, hence the removal of the 6 resistors from the adapter board, which only needs to function as a triple unity gain buffer. In the case that you are buffering signals from the larger pin/patch header, the original circuit (with a negative offset) is what you want.

Note that you could probably get away with simply a 499R resistor going to a jack on the RGB outs (now that I realize the negative offset buffers aren't essential) but I still recommend the buffers as a best practice here. Gijs If you are updating the PCB, I'd love to see the addition of RGB 3.5mm outputs natively... I think you could probably get away with it by just adding 499R resistors as I mention here."
Lento_Zoom
Is there any updated news on this? My 3trins has a newer board that has a header with Ground, LZXB, LZXG, and LZXR. Are these lzx outputs meant for the expander, or (even better) are these output already good to go for lzx ouputs? I have been scouring the web and can't find any current info, or at least not anything that references this specific header.
Dirty_Bill
Lento_Zoom wrote:
Is there any updated news on this? My 3trins has a newer board that has a header with Ground, LZXB, LZXG, and LZXR. Are these lzx outputs meant for the expander, or (even better) are these output already good to go for lzx ouputs? I have been scouring the web and can't find any current info, or at least not anything that references this specific header.

Yes, this should be the updatd 3TRINS board that has the correct wiring for the expander, so you won't need to cut traces anymore.
Lento_Zoom
Thank you! I'll probably end up building one of these once I get a Videot. I just wish there was a way to make the adapter integrate with the 3-trins a little more seamlessly, but this is better than I thought it would be.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1