MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

brownshoesonly hexadirectional crossfader
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author brownshoesonly hexadirectional crossfader
nickciontea
yo. got some new stuff coming at you.

utility/specialized crossfader. small or large systems apply. feedback processor, pattern emphasizer, your best friend.

4 signal inputs in the middle.
6 CV control inputs for each possible direction of fade
all video rate crossfades available simultaneously.

4 signal inputs chain from VBMv2 signals 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D (top row) on back of module to make patching fast.

6 fade outputs can chain to output expanders for further knot theory. (more on these soon!)

2 more unrelated modules are currently being prototyped now.

nerdware
something wonderful something wonderful something wonderful
cskonopka
o my word

nerdware
It should be one emoticon for each axis lol, but I can only guess at this point. 6 outputs, like 6 sides of a cube? Maybe also one emoticon for each module - this one, plus expanders? Nevermind, this is going to be fun!
Ddorward
Ah yes! My next module !! Yum yum !! Just got the Bso scanner and having a lot of fun with that. , a cortex and a Pittsburg vca , envelope and filter-- lots of Trippy patterns
Dirty_Bill
Hopping on the bandwagon, nice work! Now how about the demos! cool
Cobramatic
Seriously liking the look of this!
Great that it can connect to the VBM2 directly too.

Does it also have the ability to clock thru the 6 fade direction CV's?
( like a sequencer would I guess??)
nerdware
Cobramatic wrote:
Seriously liking the look of this!
Great that it can connect to the VBM2 directly too.

Yeah, I'm wondering how to use that. if the VBM's outputs go to the main video output, the crossfader's outputs could go where? Modulation other sources that go into the VBM? Wait, that's just row 1. Ok, that'll chain to rows 2 and 3. So we can have just 4 signals doing the usual VBM thing, and they're being crossfaded to 6 other places? This should be a very tasty patch.

That's just the obvious patch. It looks like the other VBM rows have identical link connectors, so maybe you could have 3 hex crossfaders connected to a single VBM? Wow. Nevermind what else is possible when you ignore the linking.

Quote:
Does it also have the ability to clock thru the 6 fade direction CV's?
( like a sequencer would I guess??)

If you only want clocked switching, the quantizer/sequencer does that superbly (1 to 8, 8 to 1, etc), with reset for any number of ways, from 2 to 8. However, I think switched crossfading with this module can be done. You just need a regular Euro seq/programmer with 6 outputs, scaled to 0-1V. (Ahh, its a shame Make Noise have discontinued their Analog Memory module.)

Thanks, Nick. This is inspiring. applause
Ya-Neck
Would this also work with CV and audio levels?
nerdware
I don't know about BSO modules, as I don't have any yet (I really want to change that, esp now), but I usually just need to attenuate the signals a little.

E.g. I can feed the outputs of my Sloth modules directly into the VWG inputs and use the input attenuators. Same with the VBM and the other LZX modules I have. These are 4V and 8V peak-to-peak signals. I don't know how they'll work with the hex xfader, of course. Hopefully the same, but only Nick can say for sure.
nickciontea
YES!>> 8 stage quantizer and this crossfader will be an amazing combo.

i would personally look to use individual stage outputs for the CV signals on the fader.. that way when you clock.. you kind of rotate the CVs around the inputs.

3 crossfaders and 3 VBM>. holy cow didn't think of that. haha i'll have to look into it.

the crossfader doesn't take VBM outputs! it takes the inputs on row 1, if anyone was missing that.
nickciontea
Ya-Neck wrote:
Would this also work with CV and audio levels?

the CV signal is trimmed to accept a video signal (1v) but the nice thing about the fader chip is a simple resistor swap can change the reference voltage for audio instead. same as the TVVCA
nickciontea
Ddorward wrote:
Ah yes! My next module !! Yum yum !! Just got the Bso scanner and having a lot of fun with that. , a cortex and a Pittsburg vca , envelope and filter-- lots of Trippy patterns

inspiration for this module was actually a doodle i made while having coffee. it was drawn as a matrix scanner. having a 3x3 grid instead of the 2x2 grid of inputs. but the matrix scanner was going to prove difficult in the space/money constraints i was placing on the module personally.

glad you're enjoying the scanner. it's a indispensable tool in my rig. my favorite
nerdware
nickciontea wrote:
3 crossfaders and 3 VBM>. holy cow didn't think of that. haha i'll have to look into it.

The triple theme is strong in the video world. love Yet it didn't occur to me that you could use 3 Seq/Quant modules until I saw a system like that in the video synth pic thread.

Quote:
the crossfader doesn't take VBM outputs! it takes the inputs on row 1, if anyone was missing that.

Yeah, I was thinking of the inputs. That's what lead me to the triple xfader idea. I looked behind my VBM and saw 3 sets of sockets, I pressume 1 for each row? The sockets are in a row, which strongly suggests that. So, I thought, what could the sockets for rows 2 and 3 be used for? hmmm..... The VBM outputs will still be available, of course, so where could they go? They can be used for modulation etc too, esp if you have more than 1 VBM.

I like the modular advice, "Get 1 of every module", but that advice only works well when there's a small set of modules available, as with video. There are still quite a few modules I don't have yet. Not even 1, nevermind more than 1.

However, I imagine 3 Scanners would rock that triple theme seriously hard.
Dirty_Bill
nerdware wrote:

The triple theme is strong in the video world. love

The Legacy of RGB cool Happy to see the expansion pins of the VBM used, too. Lots of potential here... to make even more confusing patches!
nickciontea
hoping to put in the panel order this coming week. Which means. this . is. coming at you. FAST.

hope you're excited.
Dirty_Bill
nickciontea wrote:
hoping to put in the panel order this coming week. Which means. this . is. coming at you. FAST.

hope you're excited.

I'd be more excited if I had more room in my case! Dead Banana
Thanks for the heads up, it's time to stat rearranging...

Then you can sneak us some info on the other new modules cool
cskonopka
nickciontea wrote:

hope you're excited.

Yessssss. Tasty hexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Dead Banana

zombie hexxxx need hexxx
nickciontea
started the process, initial quote in

this is extremely delayed. its been a weird year for me so far. but things seem to be lining up. I just started a new job as an instructor in an electricians program at a chicago tech college. Now i just need to slowly drift out of my arcade maintenance/repair positions, so i can have time for BSO.

forever thankful for this community and the LZX family.
tenshun
im really hyped to see clips of this in action!

would you happen to know how many hp it is?
nickciontea
18 HP.

this tool in action will definitely depend on the user.. its very much a utility depending on what you already have in your system.. You could develop very complex idea based patches solely around this module or just build up other ideas using one crossfader at a time as you need it.. ya know?

I like to think of it both ways
eth
Exciting news, would love to have one of these. Congrats on the new job, hope it is conducive for more module development!

So video rate signals can be used in the CV inputs? What exactly do the control/offset knobs do, manual control in lieu of CV inputs?
Rockin' Banana!
nerdware
Control and Offset make me think of VCAs, so I'm guess there'll be a VCA on each input. I only have a vague idea what this thing will do, but nevermind. The mystery heightens the anticipation.

Thinking about this last night, I was reminded of the Seq/Quant and how I use that. It can be the heart of a patch or just processing one signal. So I expect I'll have fun with this module in the same kind of way, and Nick just confirmed that. thumbs up
nickciontea
eth wrote:

So video rate signals can be used in the CV inputs? What exactly do the control/offset knobs do, manual control in lieu of CV inputs?
Rockin' Banana!

Correct. Control is the attenuverter on your incoming CV. and Offset is your manual fade. Standard controls on your faders

Video rate all around
samn
excited for this!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2