So, are we going to talk about these new Pittsburgh cases?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

handsomepanther
Common Wiggler

Post by handsomepanther » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:10 pm

well.. hot damn. i just purchased a move 208 case and just got done installing a heat sink on the regulator to address my power issues...
and now this! :doh:
at least my current case seems to be behaving well..
the new power supplies look great! definitely a must have with all the crazy digital modules out these days

facklr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by facklr » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:34 pm

Soy Sos wrote: Honestly, I don't get all the passionate hate about the sliding nuts.
I don't hate them, and I even have a special little screwdriver that I use to line the nut up with the hole on the module. I just know that working with a Doepfer strip is faster and I'm more likely to move things around as needed instead of waiting until I "have the time...sigh"

But it's not a deal breaker for me. I think these cases are looking great and solve so many issues. And they are not crazy expensive.

facklr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by facklr » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:36 pm

When do they ship?

Soy Sos
Dub Surgeon

Post by Soy Sos » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:41 pm

Though the advantages of the sliding nuts are:
1. If you strip one of the threads in a rail, you're "screwed"

2. The sliding system gives you some "wiggle room" to adjust for tolerances between modules, especially with a mix of manufacturers.

3. Geeeez, it's not so terrible!

ngarjuna
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ngarjuna » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:48 pm

I also hate sliding nuts; whenever I see people wonder "What's wrong with sliding nuts" it makes me wonder if they've just never used a Z-rail or what because the difference in terms of labor and time is not that small. Sure, you can get it all into the sliding rails eventually but I seriously can't imagine many people preferring them, they pretty thoroughly suck (and this forum tells me I'm far from alone in feeling this way). Though I would agree, for me it's not a deal breaker (bought a case with sliding rails this summer despite that hesitation because all the other features covered my bases too well to decide exclusively on that).

Synthrotek did an experiment for me on that new case: they loaded the whole rail up with sliding nuts to create a solid rail. Unfortunately the tolerances on the size of the sliding nuts is not tight enough and this only made the whole row totally unusable; had to undo the rails and remove like 60% of the little bastards. Not Synthrotek's fault, they were just trying to please some idiot who was coming at them with "Any other options than sliding nuts?" But just in case someone else has that idea, save yourself the ~hour or so it will take you to unload them.

Barlov
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Barlov » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:00 pm

Soy Sos wrote:Though the advantages of the sliding nuts are:
1. If you strip one of the threads in a rail, you're "screwed"
The first case I bought was 2nd hand and had a fair few stripped threads. This is much, much worse than handling sliding nuts.

estin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by estin » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:01 pm

I def understand why people prefer the threaded strip z-rails. I use to be one of them. Then ran into a couple modules that just wouldn't fit between the rails due to power connector and pcb layout. It was only 2, but it annoyed me greatly.... I also prefer the larger head size of the M3 screws, the M2.5 is really pretty damn small and plastic washers are a must because of this. The sliding nut are more hassle, but I prefer them now knowing anything will fit and I can space things out exactly as I want.

iL
Wiggling with Experience

Post by iL » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:11 pm

Maybe the keyed power headers are no good idea. Not all bus cables are made to fit there in the way they should. It risky to just trust the marks. Made this mistake myself too many times. That is what i dont like with flying bus, for Every second module i had to Crumb my own cable to fit Into the keyed power headers.

:deadbanana: Pad outo complete words

risome
Wiggling with Experience

Post by risome » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:33 am

These look great as for sliding nuts make a skewer your friend pokey pokey slidey nutty .Probably cost me kidney to get one here in Australia.I think i will Cell my 90 and 2 104 Moves and get the big one :miley:

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:23 am

:omg: it's easy to fix problems with stripped, threaded inserts.
Simply cut the insert right through where the offending thread is and grind it flush so you can butt the two ends together. :tu:
Remember, if your case has threaded inserts, it doesn't have to be one continuos piece, you can use several chunks of insert to allow you to slide things around a little. :party:

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:42 am

I was at Control in Brooklyn yesterday. I remarked to the clerk, after checking out the Make Noise powered skiff with sliding nuts "Oh another reason to hate on Make Noise".
Ditto for Pittsburgh.

I guess I am a little more DIY than most, but I'd rather;
$150 SKB mixer case
$150 Synthrotek 5 amp power.
$135 3xHEK
$150 3xpower buss boards.

Thats $600 give or take, and you could kind ways to make it cheaper. Such as buss cables instead of PCBs. You could pick up a Ridgid tool box and gut it for $30. But still sliding nuts?

daybed33
Common Wiggler

Post by daybed33 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:02 am

I don't understand why people hate the sliding nuts, they are very easy to use. Just use a toothpick to put them in place. Takes 2 seconds. I was dreading it because of all the talk... Then I got my Move 208 case and it was super easy to install and move around modules. Toothpicks all you need.

moofi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by moofi » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:11 am

"Scrü de Ünivörse"

I´m still sliding nuts :goo: :party:

Footkerchief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Footkerchief » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:19 am

daybed33 wrote:I don't understand why people hate the sliding nuts, they are very easy to use. Just use a toothpick to put them in place. Takes 2 seconds. I was dreading it because of all the talk... Then I got my Move 208 case and it was super easy to install and move around modules. Toothpicks all you need.
Until you run out of sliding nuts at one end of the case, and have to remove a whole row of modules to reallocate them. Fuck that, never again.

moofi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by moofi » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:30 am

Not screwed who slid enough before going nuts :bacon:
Footkerchief wrote:
daybed33 wrote:I don't understand why people hate the sliding nuts, they are very easy to use. Just use a toothpick to put them in place. Takes 2 seconds. I was dreading it because of all the talk... Then I got my Move 208 case and it was super easy to install and move around modules. Toothpicks all you need.
Until you run out of sliding nuts at one end of the case, and have to remove a whole row of modules to reallocate them. Fuck that, never again.

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:39 am

I've owned several music gear racks that had sliding nuts. It was maddening trying to rack gear that was 19" wide and used an M6 screw.
I'm not even going to try and repeat that experience on a smaller scale.

Also, what is up with the imperial threading? Are other sliding nuts the same? I assumed all Eurorack was 3mm or 2.5mm.

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:41 am

clusterchord wrote:i hate sliding nuts with a vengeance.

whenever i need to replace a module or rearrange things, i think i'd rather go visit a dentist and let him work on my root canal instead.
ha! - I'm with you there. 100%

burnn_out!
deep fried intoxicated wiggler

Post by burnn_out! » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:35 am

Kinda thinking of grabbing that 360. Not huge on the the sliding nuts but it's not a deal breaker. I need a travel case with the amount of internal depth the 360 has
born in bathsalts..

If your not dead you might as well be dancing, and if your not dancing you might as well be dead. - windspirit

Farfield
Common Wiggler

Post by Farfield » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:49 am

I love the Move 208 case - just got my second one last weekend. I really like the look of them and don't mind the sliding nuts at all.

Seems like the power supply in the Move is just fine, I really wouldn't know why I would spend a lot extra to get the same amount of hp, can the better power supply really be worth it?

tauburn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tauburn » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:08 pm

the upgraded power supply would definitely be worth it. having a proper ground would be immensely better. the new design should be less noisy for digital modules as well.

digitaleyes
Common Wiggler

Post by digitaleyes » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:14 pm

calaveras wrote:Thats $600 give or take
That's $400 for more modules, I don't care if it's in a cardboard box at this point

jgshoe
Common Wiggler

Post by jgshoe » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:45 pm

handsomepanther wrote:well.. hot damn. i just purchased a move 208 case and just got done installing a heat sink on the regulator to address my power issues...
and now this! :doh:
at least my current case seems to be behaving well..
the new power supplies look great! definitely a must have with all the crazy digital modules out these days
I had to do the exact same thing with the heatsink. But it didn't really improve much. What's your total power draw? Mine is still well under max power draw but still is having dumb issues
JoeShoemaker.bandcamp.com

yeskeys
Common Wiggler

Post by yeskeys » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:27 pm

My Monorocket sliding nuts are nice and smooth. The Pitts ones I also have are often stuck/sticky and don't slide very easily.

risome
Wiggling with Experience

Post by risome » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:56 am

Anyone know when these will be available

facklr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by facklr » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:55 pm

risome wrote:Anyone know when these will be available
I believe at some point in February. bhphotovideo[dot]com has them listed, but no date. absolutemusic[dot]co[dot]uk has them listed as "STOCK DUE FEBRUARY 2016" These are the only retail listings I could find so far.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”