So, are we going to talk about these new Pittsburgh cases?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Batik Rhys
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Batik Rhys » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:44 am

Glitzerstrahl wrote:Sorry in advance for this whining post but...

The EP-420 matches my needs perfectly but since I can’t get it here in Japan I will have to order it from the US. Before I pull the trigger though I wanted to ask if there is any clear and up to date source on the power / digital module ‘issues’ described throughout this thread?

For example, is there a list of modules not compatible or is it down to faulty modules or unclean power sources to the case?

Thanks!
Not whining! Fair question...

I'm also looking at the 420 and have a fair few digital modules, including some of the modules in question.

Really interested to know if there's a known solution now or if it's pretty much just luck of the draw, as this would put me off. Pretty large thing isn't it so sending it back would suck.

I've just emailed Pittsburgh to see what I can find out. Will let you know if they reply with anything pertinent.

Tonefloat01
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tonefloat01 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:40 am

I have both a Pittsburgh 360 & 420 with many digital modules in each and while the lights flicker a few times when I switch them off I haven’t ever experienced any problems with either of them.

Batik Rhys
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Batik Rhys » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:28 am

That's good to know. Yeah Pittsburgh emailed me back too and were very reassuring.

They said that any incidents of digital modules not powering up properly can be thought of as an anomaly. Certain digital modules do require a particular startup sequence in order to turn on (i.e., one of the power rails needs to power up before the other). Pittsburgh use a set of matched transformers for the +12V and -12V rails, so they theoretically should turn on simultaneously. If a particular module does not boot up the first time, they said that this can probably be addressed by simply turning the case off and then back on again.
They also pointed me toward this demo of the Drezno, one of the modules in question, being demoed in an EP-420 case:

They also said that in the unlikely event of a reoccurring problem, they are more than happy to help :yay:

captainclams
Learning to Wiggle

Post by captainclams » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:59 pm

brownacid wrote:
cincyjack wrote:
brownacid wrote:Question for EP-208 owners (and EP-360 to a lesser extent):

Anyone using a 4ms Dual Looping Delay in that case?

I had one installed but had various issues with the unit. Most consistent of them was no sound from "Out A" if "Out B" was in use. Doing stereo patches didn't function because as soon as you patched into "Out B" a would go silent. Other issues included on the occasional power ups, no sound would pass out "Out A" or "Out B". This was very inconsistent, maybe 30% of the time? I was also not able to get it to pass audio in boot loader mode, but I was able to boot into that mode with no issue.

Anyway, I sent it back to the store I got it from and it worked for them as soon as they plugged it in, and were even able to update the firmware.

FRUSTRATING!

I love the case, it's perfect for me, but I can't figure out if it's a power supply issue or what. Perhaps some sort of interaction with another module of mine? Maybe some funky BUS 1 or BUS 2 interaction?

Any thoughts?
I am having similar issues with a DLD in a 208 case. Need to test more but same issue, no output from A if B is in use. Very frustrating.
Well, got my DLD back tonight and put it into my EP-208. Still has the same issues I described above. In A to Out A and Out B, only sound comes out of Out B. No stereo patch love. SO I put it into my System Cartesian skiff (in place of it's Maths module) and lookie, it works just fine and as expected. All o uts work no matter the patch setup.

So.... either something is not quite right power wise with the EP-208, or there is a module in the case it's reacting against? Later on tonight I will pull both some modules in the 208 to see if that fixes the issue. I doubt it, but we'll see.

If It's the case, I will need to get ahold of PM to see what the problem could be.

I'll report later.
I've got an EP-270 and have also been having this issue. I was willing to sacrifice the DLD because I loved the case so much (aesthetically and ergonomically), but now I am having new problems with my new Mannequins W/ and Sisters modules.

Much like how Batumi in my case boots up with "zoom" mode enabled (and sometimes a different operating mode completely), W/ seems to boot up in a play-less state where I can't record anything to tape. I thought it was just the module being really obtuse but after power cycling it and leaving it off for a while it seems to work.

Overall this makes me worried that I'm stressing out my hardware. My rack comes in well under 50% of the available power. https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/625764

Are any other folks having issues with W/ and their Pittsburgh cases?

Drakhe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Drakhe » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:30 pm

With regards to the misbehaving modules at power on, maybe check with WMD whether this gizmo might help?

https://wmdevices.com/products/soft-start-module

SCOOBA_TANK
Common Wiggler

Post by SCOOBA_TANK » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:19 am

Yikes. I had this nearly on order yesterday. But hearing that there are issues with DLD makes me totally rethink my plans. I've got a handful of somewhat power hungry modules which I use on a regular basis, DLD being one that I use with almost every patch.

If the consensus is that DLD is a no-go with this case, then I am going to have to unfortunately pass. Which sucks because I love the look of this case.

ugh. :ripbanana:

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:16 am

The EP-420 and EP-360 seem to share the exact same power config.
The EP-208 and EP-270 seem to share the exact same power config.

Never had a problem with the 420 or 360 and I have a friend with a DLD in a 360 with no problems. I don’t have a W/, but I have had Three Sisters in a succession of Move and Structure cases (but not including either the EP-208 or EP-270) with zero problems. Indeed, I’ve had no power problems with any modules, ever, just the old touch plate grounding problem with the old Move cases.

:hmm:

subdo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by subdo » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:32 am

I've used 3 Sisters in my Structure 208 and never had any issues. The only module that's ever disagreed with it was the DubJr mk2 which apparently doesn't like a number of PSUs.

Azarius
Common Wiggler

Post by Azarius » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:45 am

To be fair, my issue was only with the DLD in my 3 Structure 208 cases. I also tried 2 different DLDs they both had the same problem. However every other module I had used in those cases worked flawlessly, including Just Friends, for example. It might only be a power supply issue relegated to their 208 and 270 cases as mentioned, so the rest of their cases might be fine. The cases themselves are extremely well built with a quite beautiful wood grain and a super beefy power supply. Might be worth trying if there is a good return policy just in case (sorry for the pun!)

SCOOBA_TANK
Common Wiggler

Post by SCOOBA_TANK » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:57 am

THANKS Y'ALL!!! That is super helpful.

So if I understand correctly, I'm safer to go 420 over 270. Right?

scdreger
Common Wiggler

Post by scdreger » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:42 pm

For what it's worth, I have the E-360 and plenty of digital modules. No problems whatsoever.

pedalhead
Common Wiggler

Post by pedalhead » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:18 pm

I have a 420 stuffed with digital modules, no problems to report over 1 year of heavy daily usage.

SCOOBA_TANK
Common Wiggler

Post by SCOOBA_TANK » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:24 pm

pedalhead wrote:I have a 420 stuffed with digital modules, no problems to report over 1 year of heavy daily usage.
Killer. I think I've got enough good insights from everyone. 420, here I come!!! Thanks so much!!!

SCOOBA_TANK
Common Wiggler

Post by SCOOBA_TANK » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:25 pm

got my 420! Here's my quick review...

It's awesome! Build quality is great. Came complete with that sweet smell of freshly stained wood. ;)

Sliding nuts are literally the worst. After making it 13 seconds into some module arrangement, I immediately ordered some Erthenvar NoNut strips cut to length. PHEW!!! Those came in today and, holy hell, what a difference it makes!

Power seems great so far. Even though the rack is far from full, I popped in a couple heavy digital modules and they ran great!

Overall, I'm really happy. Thanks to everyone for your help!

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:40 pm

Yeah, it is hard to defend sliding nuts but I’ll have a go: it makes rearranging your modules more of an occasion. :confused:
Icy and melodic braindance/IDM winter track. ❄️

attacca
Common Wiggler

Post by attacca » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:35 am

I have the EP-360 and it has served me well so far. I am currently using all 360HP with a mix of analog and digital modules. Module lights flicker and my output module crackles (even with the volume down) when I power off the case but it hasn't harmed anything in the year I've had it.

There are a few cons to the case though:

- weighs 27lbs empty
- sliding nuts, takes forever to rearrange 40 modules
- screws that come with the case are too short for most washers
- aluminum brackets on the sides only allow for a module depth of ~25mm
- fit and finish could be a little better for the price

rbhansen
Common Wiggler

Post by rbhansen » Sun May 13, 2018 8:47 am

A quick question for any owners of the EP-270 or EP-420: is there anything I should be aware of it I want to position the case horizontally? Thinking about picking one of these up but want it to lie flat on my desk without blocking my computer monitor.

Searched the threads for "horizontal", "lying down", etc and came up empty. And I can't find a picture of anyone doing this on google image search.

Looks do-able but wanted to check before spending the $$$.

Thanks!

kylverstone
Common Wiggler

Post by kylverstone » Sun May 13, 2018 9:33 am

rbhansen wrote:A quick question for any owners of the EP-270 or EP-420: is there anything I should be aware of it I want to position the case horizontally?
I've been using a 420 horizontally for the last six months without any issues. Just don't forget to turn the 'Structure' badge around ;)

rbhansen
Common Wiggler

Post by rbhansen » Sun May 13, 2018 10:16 am

kylverstone wrote:
rbhansen wrote:A quick question for any owners of the EP-270 or EP-420: is there anything I should be aware of it I want to position the case horizontally?
I've been using a 420 horizontally for the last six months without any issues. Just don't forget to turn the 'Structure' badge around ;)
Perfect! Thanks for the quick reply. Looking to take advantage of the Mother's Day promos going on right now.

Amazing set-up of yours btw...wow!

kylverstone
Common Wiggler

Post by kylverstone » Sun May 13, 2018 10:28 am

rbhansen wrote:
kylverstone wrote:
Perfect! Thanks for the quick reply. Looking to take advantage of the Mother's Day promos going on right now.

Amazing set-up of yours btw...wow!
Thanks! That's about two years of selling off unused non-modular stuff, and lots of scrimping and saving, but I love it!

Re. the case, I grabbed some little self-adhesive rubber feet things from the hardware store and stuck them on the back (now the bottom) of the case to stop it slipping around when on a desk. Great case though!

danishchairs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by danishchairs » Wed May 16, 2018 8:49 am

SCOOBA_TANK wrote:got my 420! Here's my quick review...

It's awesome! Build quality is great. Came complete with that sweet smell of freshly stained wood. ;)

Sliding nuts are literally the worst. After making it 13 seconds into some module arrangement, I immediately ordered some Erthenvar NoNut strips cut to length. PHEW!!! Those came in today and, holy hell, what a difference it makes!
I’m trying to order some of these NoNut strips from Erthenvar, but their website won’t let me put in the hp length I need (or any hp length). Did you have trouble ordering on their site? Is there a trick?

Thanks!

Sound precedes music | Instruments for Neb2 module

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Wed May 16, 2018 9:19 am

Thought these looked super-sexy until I saw the sliding nuts. Show stopper. :ripbanana:

chockfullofthat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by chockfullofthat » Wed May 16, 2018 10:00 am

danishchairs wrote:
SCOOBA_TANK wrote:got my 420! Here's my quick review...

I’m trying to order some of these NoNut strips from Erthenvar, but their website won’t let me put in the hp length I need (or any hp length). Did you have trouble ordering on their site? Is there a trick?

Thanks!
Also how was the assembly?

Illwiggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Illwiggle » Thu May 17, 2018 1:57 am

I just got a structure 96 a few weeks back. Its fantastic.....solid build, power is stable.....my previous skiff was the MN 104.....I was getting flickering power & some volume dropouts when all the modules were employed......not so with the Pittsburgh....now Im eyeing that ep-360.....

zanscath
Common Wiggler

Post by zanscath » Thu May 17, 2018 4:49 am

Structure 96 is probably my favorite case because of the (almost) square form factor. It's just so easy to transport and has enough room for a small but powerful setup.

It's a shame it's discontinued. I have two of them and want more.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”