So, are we going to talk about these new Pittsburgh cases?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

SCOOBA_TANK
Common Wiggler

Post by SCOOBA_TANK » Thu May 17, 2018 5:39 am

danishchairs wrote:
SCOOBA_TANK wrote:got my 420! Here's my quick review...

It's awesome! Build quality is great. Came complete with that sweet smell of freshly stained wood. ;)

Sliding nuts are literally the worst. After making it 13 seconds into some module arrangement, I immediately ordered some Erthenvar NoNut strips cut to length. PHEW!!! Those came in today and, holy hell, what a difference it makes!
I’m trying to order some of these NoNut strips from Erthenvar, but their website won’t let me put in the hp length I need (or any hp length). Did you have trouble ordering on their site? Is there a trick?

Thanks!
I didn’t have any trouble. There’s a simple math equation that it asks you to follow. If I remember correctly, you order the full hp amount you need and then in the comments field write out how you need that split.

SCOOBA_TANK
Common Wiggler

Post by SCOOBA_TANK » Thu May 17, 2018 5:41 am

chockfullofthat wrote:
danishchairs wrote:

It's awesome! Build quality is great. Came complete with that sweet smell of freshly stained wood. ;)

Sliding nuts are literally the worst. After making it 13 seconds into some module arrangement, I immediately ordered some Erthenvar NoNut strips cut to length. PHEW!!! Those came in today and, holy hell, what a difference it makes!
I’m trying to order some of these NoNut strips from Erthenvar, but their website won’t let me put in the hp length I need (or any hp length). Did you have trouble ordering on their site? Is there a trick?

Thanks!
Also how was the assembly?
Install was super easy. There are 6 scores that hold in the rails/frame, remove those, remove the frame, dump the bits, slide in the strips, re-install frame. ENJOY THE NON-SLIDING NUTS WORLD! :bananaguitar:

Multiverse_Eros
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Multiverse_Eros » Fri May 18, 2018 10:59 pm

Just ordered my 360! Can't wait to get everything setup for my first rig :party:

Gribs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gribs » Sun May 20, 2018 12:05 pm

SCOOBA_TANK wrote:
chockfullofthat wrote:
danishchairs wrote:

Thanks!
Also how was the assembly?
Install was super easy. There are 6 scores that hold in the rails/frame, remove those, remove the frame, dump the bits, slide in the strips, re-install frame. ENJOY THE NON-SLIDING NUTS WORLD! :bananaguitar:
Great info, thanks! I have been looking at the 360 cases as a way to make more room on my table by getting rid of my skiff and my angled cases.
----------------------------------------

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sun May 20, 2018 12:34 pm

Anyone managed to max out the power of a EP-420. 6A, bloody hell! :eek: When I’ve filled it up I’ll use way less than half the capacity.
Icy and melodic braindance/IDM winter track. ❄️

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Sun May 20, 2018 1:15 pm

lisa wrote:Anyone managed to max out the power of a EP-420. 6A, bloody hell! :eek: When I’ve filled it up I’ll use way less than half the capacity.
What is consuming so much power? I have like 60hp to go and I am at 1.5A.

Illwiggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Illwiggle » Mon May 21, 2018 3:59 am

Anyone ever take an ep-360 on a plane?
Im figuring its outside the carry-on limitations, but......

digitalohm
Common Wiggler

Post by digitalohm » Tue May 22, 2018 4:29 pm

i just recently up traded my structure 208 case. I use mostly harvestman/ime modules and the flicker issue was scaring me. Multiple times the malgorithm mk2 and argo bleak would not start correctly until I rebooted the case a couple times.

Tonefloat01
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tonefloat01 » Tue May 22, 2018 7:41 pm

digitalohm wrote:i just recently up traded my structure 208 case. I use mostly harvestman/ime modules and the flicker issue was scaring me. Multiple times the malgorithm mk2 and argo bleak would not start correctly until I rebooted the case a couple times.

I have two IME in my structure 420 and have no issues at all.... :hmm:
Selling: Radikal Technologies - Spectralis 2, Access Music - Indigo.

digitalohm
Common Wiggler

Post by digitalohm » Tue May 22, 2018 7:45 pm

Tonefloat01 wrote:I have two IME in my structure 420 and have no issues at all.... :hmm:
i had 15 so maybe that was too many?

You aren't even getting the flickering that others have reported?

Tonefloat01
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tonefloat01 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:11 pm

digitalohm wrote:
Tonefloat01 wrote:I have two IME in my structure 420 and have no issues at all.... :hmm:

I only have ‘flickering’ when I power down the case and some modules lights flash intermittently before the power is 100% dissipated from the case.
No ‘flickering’ with my meager two IME modules as of yet but maybe I have too little of them..? :despair:

Time to purchase more IME modules to test the theory then..? :nana:

digitalohm
Common Wiggler

Post by digitalohm » Wed May 23, 2018 4:08 pm

Tonefloat01 wrote:
I only have ‘flickering’ when I power down the case and some modules lights flash intermittently before the power is 100% dissipated from the case.
No ‘flickering’ with my meager two IME modules as of yet but maybe I have too little of them..? :despair:

It's a valid excuse to buy more :D

I don't recall the flickering happening on the ph mk3, likely due to it's startup sequence? However it happened on all the others. The most concerning was the malgorithm mk2 and/or argos bleak not functioning until I rebooted the case one or more times.

Havent' had any issues since switching to the elite modular with make noise power

sonicmayhem
Common Wiggler

Post by sonicmayhem » Wed May 23, 2018 4:52 pm

Tonefloat01 wrote:
digitalohm wrote:

I had asked them about the flickering. Evidently its totally normal.

digitalohm
Common Wiggler

Post by digitalohm » Wed May 23, 2018 7:39 pm

sonicmayhem wrote: I had asked them about the flickering. Evidently its totally normal.
who did you ask? its "normal" when using the structure psu? it was worrying me a little more than I felt comfortable with, and also the 2 modules that would freeze up, but I have read on this thread others haven't had anything bad happen...yet

Tonefloat01
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tonefloat01 » Wed May 23, 2018 9:43 pm

So by ‘flicker’ do mean when you:

1. Power up (on) your case?
2. Power down (off) your case?
3. Intermittently during use?

I have both a Pittsburgh 420 & 360 loaded full with modules (mostly digital) and have only ever experienced #2 which I’ve stated before. No locked up modules ever... :hmm:

digitalohm
Common Wiggler

Post by digitalohm » Wed May 23, 2018 10:58 pm

Tonefloat01 wrote:So by ‘flicker’ do mean when you:

1. Power up (on) your case?
2. Power down (off) your case?
3. Intermittently during use?

I have both a Pittsburgh 420 & 360 loaded full with modules (mostly digital) and have only ever experienced #2 which I’ve stated before. No locked up modules ever... :hmm:
I was experiencing both 1 & 2, with the Structure 208

I've already moved on though, I was just reporting my own experience with the case when using harvestman modules (at the time they were the only modules I had in the case). I haven't had any issues with the Elite 416.

Illwiggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Illwiggle » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:20 pm

So, as an update, fwiw, Ive been using an ep-360 for a couple weeks and its just great! I dont notice anything unusual, nothing I didnt see with my structurr 96 or my make noise 104 skiff. Whatever blinking that happens is quite momentary, barely noticeable

danishchairs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by danishchairs » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:46 pm

SCOOBA_TANK wrote:
danishchairs wrote:

Thanks!
I didn’t have any trouble. There’s a simple math equation that it asks you to follow. If I remember correctly, you order the full hp amount you need and then in the comments field write out how you need that split.
Apologies for the tardy response but THANK YOU!

In the end, I decided to get threaded strips that would fit M3 screws. The Erthenvar NoNut strips fit M2.5 screws. (I really want to be able to use Befaco Knurlies.) I’ll report back when I get it together.

Sound precedes music | Instruments for Neb2 module

Tonefloat01
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tonefloat01 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:23 pm

Illwiggle wrote:Whatever blinking that happens is quite momentary, barely noticeable
Yup, nothing to see here...
Have two Pittsburgh 420’s which are almost fulll and not a single problem.

:guinness:

snadge
Wiggling with Experience

Post by snadge » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:11 am

danishchairs wrote:
In the end, I decided to get threaded strips that would fit M3 screws. The Erthenvar NoNut strips fit M2.5 screws. (I really want to be able to use Befaco Knurlies.) I’ll report back when I get it together.
Would M3 square nuts fit the existing rails?

danishchairs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by danishchairs » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:28 am

snadge wrote:
danishchairs wrote:
Yes, I think so. Be sure to check the measurements. I just did a quick look online and some are too thick. Aim for about 2mm thickness.

Also, some may be too long/wide (that is, the dimension of the 4 square sides). Aim for about 5mm.

Sound precedes music | Instruments for Neb2 module

snadge
Wiggling with Experience

Post by snadge » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:09 am

danishchairs wrote:
snadge wrote:
danishchairs wrote:
Yes, I think so. Be sure to check the measurements. I just did a quick look online and some are too thick. Aim for about 2mm thickness.

Also, some may be too long/wide (that is, the dimension of the 4 square sides). Aim for about 5mm.
Thanks for that, very interested in the EP360 and also want to use knurlies, sliding nuts I prefer as the one thing that sets my OCD off is modules with oddly distanced, non elongated fixing holes, that leave gaps and steal my precious HP. :bang:

Foghorn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:21 am

danishchairs wrote: In the end, I decided to get threaded strips that would fit M3 screws. The Erthenvar NoNut strips fit M2.5 screws. (I really want to be able to use Befaco Knurlies.) I’ll report back when I get it together.
I thought about that also, but so many modules have a hole that is barely larger than 3 mm and then it is hard to get the screws to line up with the tapped holes in the nut strip.
Or the screws sort of cut threads on one side of the modules mounting hole because they don't line up close enough.

Boy, you would think someone would get smart enough to drill out the holes in the modules a little bit...DOH

Maybe I will drill out some of the tight holed modules :hmm:
I'm not sure what's going on, but, well ah crap..what now?

deke
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deke » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:08 am

Kaput wrote:I got a Structure EP-270 recently, which is mostly full. It's the best case I've had; I've been through quite a few, from Doepfer to custom cases. I just like how the EP-270 is robust in stature and delivers plenty of power.

I got two bags of screws (way more than I needed) supplied. There are enough sliding nuts to go round and I didn't find them as much of a pain as I'd remembered (I just used a very small screwdriver to line the nuts up, a little tip I'd read here on Muffs).

No flickering from any of my modules on power down.

I'm always fussy about aesthetics, but even I had underestimated how having such a nice case makes you appreciate your system even more. It just feels nice to use and looks great.

Honourable mention to the way it was packaged - very thorough. Double box, loads of bubble wrap and polystyrene corner cheeks.
A year later, but I just got a EP-270 too and have the exact same observations. Also, it is so nice having so much depth to work with, even on the top rails. Oh, I also had he problem with at least one module not fitting flush on the side due to it's circuit board being as wide as the face plate - TipTop One. Finally, I dreaded the sliding nuts, but I honestly have zero problems with them even after a little arranging. I do think they could have put in 4-6 more nuts per rail though - not because I will need them, but to leave plenty behind modules for rearrangement.

digitalohm
Common Wiggler

Post by digitalohm » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:43 pm

can anyone verify if the rossum core modules experience any flicker? specifically with a 208?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”