So, are we going to talk about these new Pittsburgh cases?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

propertyof
Wiggling with Experience

Post by propertyof » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:24 pm

I live in tropical country, and the place I live in could be pretty humid. I don’t use air conditioner.
After I went out of town for a while & left my case on the floor (which is could be pretty cold at night), my beloved structure ep-208 caught some mold.
I already brushed off some of it, and it looks like this. Any idea how to clean it perfectly & prevent it to come again without damaging it?

strangegravity
A Big Knob

Post by strangegravity » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:10 pm

I believe there are anti-fungal treatments for wood. You could also put a clear finish on it to seal it up.

propertyof
Wiggling with Experience

Post by propertyof » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:19 am

So I got a problem with my -12v psu recently. My Structure EP-208 case got the switching/universal Hengfu brand. It was down last week and couldn’t send -12v to the bus board. After further inspection with a technician friend, turns out there was a rusty part inside the caged psu. And it seems the rusts are spreading to the board and caused the short circuit. Then we dedided to take psu out and clean the rust as clean as we could, even though seems it’s not possible.
After that we put it back and the psu is working back to normal again & delivering -12v to the bus boards.

We found that the other psu for +12v has starting to have rust on the similar part eventhough not as bad as the -12v psu. So my friend suggest me to replace these psu, possibly to Meanwell. I would like to hear some suggestion from another Pittsburgh Structure case owners.

Any of you replace your original psu from the case?
If yes, what brand/type/specification that you use?

arthurdent
Wiggling with Experience

Post by arthurdent » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:34 pm

propertyof wrote:So I got a problem with my -12v psu recently. My Structure EP-208 case got the switching/universal Hengfu brand. It was down last week and couldn’t send -12v to the bus board. After further inspection with a technician friend, turns out there was a rusty part inside the caged psu. And it seems the rusts are spreading to the board and caused the short circuit. Then we dedided to take psu out and clean the rust as clean as we could, even though seems it’s not possible.
After that we put it back and the psu is working back to normal again & delivering -12v to the bus boards.

We found that the other psu for +12v has starting to have rust on the similar part eventhough not as bad as the -12v psu. So my friend suggest me to replace these psu, possibly to Meanwell. I would like to hear some suggestion from another Pittsburgh Structure case owners.

Any of you replace your original psu from the case?
If yes, what brand/type/specification that you use?
I think you should run this rust issue by the people at Pittsburgh Modular. I've contacted them a couple of times about questions/issues with modules and they've always been very responsive with help for me.

propertyof
Wiggling with Experience

Post by propertyof » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:41 pm

All done. They suggested me to replace my psu. I live in a tropical country with very humid climate, so seems rust will always happen in the end. I’m thinking not to import the similar psu from them and maybe could find the immediate replacement here. That’s why I ask for suggestion.

deke
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deke » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:30 am

I bought a EP 270 a few months ago and just want to report my impressions. Overall I am quite satisfied. I like having depth, an angled front and the size is pretty good for me. It is a bit "tippy" and on some Doepfer modules with those super tight jacks of theirs, I have many times caused the unit to pitch back a bit. Never quite enough to tip over, but that would be a nightmare. The unit should be a little deeper at the bottom with an increased angle to prevent this. Sliding nuts do not bother me, though I wish they would have put in an extra 6-8 per rail (how much would that cost?). Wood is obviously plywood with a stain. I know some might prefer hardwood, but plywood is much more stable and any big vendor would probably end up with poor quality solid wood, so plywood is actually a plus here. Power seems way more than adequate and I have zero issues with noise or anything electrical. Wish the plug was on the back, not the side as I want to put things right next to this.

Neither
Common Wiggler

Post by Neither » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:32 am

I'm looking for a suitable case to go under Pittsburg EP-360. I'm running out of space!
The depth for EP-360 is 13,5cm (without the lid).

I've been looking at the Doepfer Monster Base but I'm not sure If the Pittsburg suitcase would fit on top of the wooden base? It looks really thin.

If it fits, I guess I would need to bolt EP-360 to the Monster Base with some sort of angled iron so that EP-360 would tilt slightly backwards...

Would you think that this would work or any ideas for some alternative (preferably smaller) solution/case under EP-360?

soggybag
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soggybag » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:14 pm

I have a Pittsburgh EP 208 and a DLD. A few weeks ago my DLD died.

I had swapped a couple modules, didn't touch the DLD, I turn the case on and the DLD is not working.

I sent it back, 4MS was super nice, they said they just needed to re-flash it.

Yesterday, I took out the Temps Utile to update the firmware. I didn't disconnect because I needed power, I just needed to get to the USB connection.

I loaded the new firmware, turned the case on and the DLD died again! Everything else is working. I noticed this time I may have turned the case on and off in short succession.

I contacted 4MS and they said
We have seen one or two power situations in which the DLD seems to respond badly to power fluctuations from certain power supplies, among them Pittsburgh and some DIY setups.
I feel there is a problem with the Power in the Pittsburgh case and the DLD. I'm suspecting, for me anyway, that it may come into play if the cases is turned on and off quickly.

billyk419
Veteran Wiggler

Post by billyk419 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:54 pm

That's interesting. I've had a DLD in my EP-360 for several years without any problems. (Knock on wood)
"If it sounds good, it IS good." ~Duke Ellington

Case

FS/FT

soggybag
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soggybag » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:22 am

Mine was working fine, then quick all of a sudden. Both times it happened after I had rearranged modules in my case. I feel it’s either something to do with modules a swapped in, less likely, or something to do with powering on and off.

I’m wondering if one of these would help:

https://www.perfectcircuit.com/trogotro ... encer.html

Return to “Eurorack Modules”