So, are we going to talk about these new Pittsburgh cases?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

subdo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by subdo » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:17 pm

I slide my nuts. :miley:

Back to topic - The STRUCTURE EP-96 kind of makes the cell 48 at $249 kind of obsolete. I think the EP-96 looks like a great starter/special purpose rack.

geh2oman
Common Wiggler

Post by geh2oman » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:33 pm

Super into the 96, but a little disappointed about the lack of a lid.

I've got sliding nuts on my Monorocket, and honestly, the best tool for how to use them? Modular Grid to plan your layout. Not that hard.

[edited because I assumed it had a lid…]

handsomepanther
Common Wiggler

Post by handsomepanther » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:21 pm

jgshoe wrote:
I had to do the exact same thing with the heatsink. But it didn't really improve much. What's your total power draw? Mine is still well under max power draw but still is having dumb issues
@jgshoe sorry to hear you're having those problems too, here's a link to the config that was basically causing my case to "brown out" and shut off.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/238976

It only started happening when I added Warps.. And I could easily recreate the brown out simply by increasing the tap tempo on my qcd which was driving the whole patch.. So at fast clock speeds , it died, but it worked at slow speed ..

I swapped out warps and things have been fine ever since.. Not 100% sure how much power the heat sink buys you..

I looked deeper at the 4MS modules which require 5V on the rail and have a jumper for either using their internal regulator vs not.. The default is to use its own I believe which draws more power from the 12V rail.. But I'm pretty clueless with electricity, and still feel like I'm teetering on the edge of what the power supply can handle. Which Is why I wish I had one of these new cases.. I'm definitely more power concious after these problems.. Digital modules often eat up 100ma or more Rings takes as much power as Elements in almost half the space and Warps comes in pretty close... So with modules like that the power can max out quick!!

smirky
Common Wiggler

Post by smirky » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:43 am

subdo wrote:Back to topic - The STRUCTURE EP-96 kind of makes the cell 48 at $249 kind of obsolete. I think the EP-96 looks like a great starter/special purpose rack.
Can't argue with that price comparison, but I really prefer the angled layout of the dual Cell 48 cases. These new cases are crazy fantastic in every other way; hard to resist an upgrade.

M4R71N
Common Wiggler

Post by M4R71N » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:06 am

Is there any informations about compatibility with european power requirements (i live in France), what about the fuse included in the outlet?

Soy Sos
Dub Surgeon

Post by Soy Sos » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:42 am

M4R71N wrote:Is there any informations about compatibility with european power requirements (i live in France), what about the fuse included in the outlet?
It says "Universal IEC Power Connector"
I know the idea is that this thing is bullet proof and will be able
to be used anywhere. When folks are back in the shop tomorrow,
(they're fried from NAMM) I'll confirm. Not sure about the fuse.

M4R71N
Common Wiggler

Post by M4R71N » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:00 pm

Soy Sos wrote:
M4R71N wrote:Is there any informations about compatibility with european power requirements (i live in France), what about the fuse included in the outlet?
It says "Universal IEC Power Connector"
I know the idea is that this thing is bullet proof and will be able
to be used anywhere. When folks are back in the shop tomorrow,
(they're fried from NAMM) I'll confirm. Not sure about the fuse.
Ok my bad... :hail: and i'm in :tu:

Chartreuse-J
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Chartreuse-J » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:06 pm

facklr wrote:
risome wrote:Anyone know when these will be available
I believe at some point in February. bhphotovideo[dot]com has them listed, but no date. absolutemusic[dot]co[dot]uk has them listed as "STOCK DUE FEBRUARY 2016" These are the only retail listings I could find so far.
Control Voltage in Portland has them listed.

jackastro
Learning to Wiggle
Location: Los Angeles, California, USA, Sol 3, Milky Way, The Dark Universe

Post by jackastro » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:42 pm

I am thinking about starting a Eurorack system. Would the 96 be a good place to start, or should I get a larger case? Thanks.

estin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by estin » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:45 pm

jackastro wrote:I am thinking about starting a Eurorack system. Would the 96 be a good place to start, or should I get a larger case? Thanks.
Get as much case and power as you can afford now. It only get harder to do later when the need for new modules needs to be satiated.

subdo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by subdo » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:33 pm

smirky wrote:Can't argue with that price comparison, but I really prefer the angled layout of the dual Cell 48 cases. These new cases are crazy fantastic in every other way; hard to resist an upgrade.
I'm with you there. I have two 90s with the Wood cheeks and not only does it look classy but it feels solid. It is a little awkward turning on the power to the bottom case but for the price I got them for I'm not going to complain.

facklr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by facklr » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:50 pm

Chartreuse-J wrote:
facklr wrote:
risome wrote:Anyone know when these will be available
I believe at some point in February. bhphotovideo[dot]com has them listed, but no date. absolutemusic[dot]co[dot]uk has them listed as "STOCK DUE FEBRUARY 2016" These are the only retail listings I could find so far.
Control Voltage in Portland has them listed.
Yes, but the question remains: When? I still don't see a definite date for availability anywhere that I can find at least. Those were the only listings I could find on the 16th of January. There's a bunch of places that now have them listed but still no date.

Soy Sos? What say you.

Soy Sos
Dub Surgeon

Post by Soy Sos » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:32 pm

I'll go upstairs and check now.
My recording studio is on 3 and Pitt Mod is on the 6th floor of the same building.

Soy Sos
Dub Surgeon

Post by Soy Sos » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:07 pm

Shipping in 2-4 weeks.

facklr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by facklr » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:21 am

Soy Sos wrote:I'll go upstairs and check now.
My recording studio is on 3 and Pitt Mod is on the 6th floor of the same building.
Soy Sos wrote:Shipping in 2-4 weeks.
Hey, thanks so much. And thanks for the literal footwork to find the answer!

Once again, the Pitts crew goes above and beyond.

Chartreuse-J
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Chartreuse-J » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:52 pm

Perhaps you can answer the question as to what brand and model of power supplies are used in these cases.

I would like to look up the data sheets for them but Pitts tech support has not gotten back.

keyofnight
Common Wiggler

Post by keyofnight » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:13 am

I love these sexy wooden cases. :miley:

Can one of you tell me if these jive well with pressure points now?
"…an answer which cannot be expressed the question too cannot be expressed. […] If a question can be put at all, then it can also be answered." Wittgenstein, Tractatus, §6.52

Radical Ans
Common Wiggler

Post by Radical Ans » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:53 am

Soy Sos wrote:I'll go upstairs and check now.
Oh man, I'm just like 4 blocks away from you. HI NEIGHBOR! :goo:

schwittersplayspop
Common Wiggler

Post by schwittersplayspop » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:05 am

I have a Move 208 and don't mind the sliding screws, but have never seen anything else. I use a technique similar to the toothpick one and it works OK.

As someone implied, the situation where some nuts are buried beneath a module within the row meaning you can't insert a module until you find out where they are and unscrew mutiple modules to get at them is maybe the biggest irritation, when it happens, which hasn't been that often for me.

schwittersplayspop
Common Wiggler

Post by schwittersplayspop » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:09 am

BTW I've also experienced sudden power-related shut off with the Move 208. It took me a long time to figure out which module was the tipping point, but since then, it's been fine. The module in question -- in my config, I should be careful to say -- was Disting v2. I took that out and it's been 100% since.

I was curious about the heat sink idea, though -- is that mod written up anywhere? Sounds like it's possibly not worth it?

keyofnight
Common Wiggler

Post by keyofnight » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:10 am

I asked Pitt by Twitter, and they tell me that the Structure EP cases are earth grounded…and so they'll work with Pressure Points now. Cool.
"…an answer which cannot be expressed the question too cannot be expressed. […] If a question can be put at all, then it can also be answered." Wittgenstein, Tractatus, §6.52

facklr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by facklr » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:43 pm

The Structure case are showing "in stock" at Analogue Haven.

0BSRVR
Common Wiggler

Post by 0BSRVR » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:01 am

I got my Structure 208 about a week ago now from Detroit Mod. Awesome case! It's quiet as can be. I had a horrible high pitch whistle going on with my Cell 90 X 2 setup. The 208 has completely cleaned up the noise. Plenty of room to case it up with a patch. Looks great, even smells great. Pittsburgh nailed it with this line.

:yay:

My System:

Travel Case: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1020365

Studio Case: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1010495

buzzbuzz
Common Wiggler

Post by buzzbuzz » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:40 pm

Hiya Wigglers!
After smoking for 20 years I've finally quit and I'm ready to take up something as equally addictive and expensive, modular synths!
I've been lurking on the forum and researching around the webs and so far it seems that this case, aside from being quite handsome, is an excellent value at $599.
I've not got much time for DIY and from what I've seen the expense is just about the same.
I'm kinda ready to pull the trigger on this but I though I'd ask here regarding other/better options at a similar price point.
Any info from experienced wigglers is greatly appreciated!

asteraster
Wiggling with Experience

Post by asteraster » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:48 pm

I've got the wood move 208 and love it. i use the small screwdriver i use to screw the modules in to move the nuts into place - all my extra nuts are kept to the right of the modules - had no problems installing/swapping modules.
http://aster.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/asterlovesyou

[bandcamp width=100% height=42 album=4155341782 size=small bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 track=2133653811]

Return to “Eurorack Modules”