MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

fh-1 and gates/triggers
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author fh-1 and gates/triggers
Micro Stuart
I'm very interested in this module since I'm thinking of changing sound cards and would prefer to use USB over SPDIF..

I always use my ES-4 outputs as triggers, silly question since I'm sure I know the answer, but can I set up all the outputs on the fh-1 to be triggers?

Thanks for your help!
Mike
os
There's no setup to do that - just send MIDI notes on channel 13:

http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/fh1notes.html
hboon
Hi there OS

Sorry to resurrect this thread.

My FH-1 has started playing up since I updated the firmware to the latest version yesterday (Sunday) evening.

The issues, I believe relate to the same thing, but are found in a number of applications.
1. Midi channel 1 Note/CV - note plays but gate remains open so VCA does not close. Changing the arpeggiator length (Ableton stock arp device) causes erratic behaviour and altering the gate amount on Ableton device no longer corresponds to what one would expect i.e. short/long and any thing else inbetween.

2. Using Midi Channel 13 with a simple trigger pattern on C-2, C#-2 and D-2, presents behaviour that I would describe as a mix between monophonic/note priority which means that no two or more events simultaneously.

3. Transposing the notes up to E3 exhibits the same behaviour with Gates as with triggers.

I'm not sure the firmware update was the problem as I have returned to previous firmware but still have the issues. I've also changed settings in Ableton's midi settings but this doesn't seem to make much difference.

Up until now the unit has behaved remarkably well and I really like it. I created a bunch of Ableton devices to manage LFOs and various other functions. Has been a breeze but now, I'm not so sure what has happened and why. Anyway, any guidance appreciated. And I imagine I've forgotten to set a parameter somewhere. BTW: I don't use the midi config tool as have had no need to do so.

Regards

Hussein
os
What firmware were you on/are you on now?

Have you tried resetting the settings and wiping the script (from the H menu)?
hboon
Hi OS

reverted back to 2.1 and also reset settings via H menu. It is puzzling and the behaviour is quite erratic. Last night, after posting to the forum, I used the Max4Live mono sequencer and again got strange behaviour out of the monophonic CV/Gate pairing. Will try some other software sequencers tonight.

Will investigate further and report back.

Cheers
Hussein
hboon
Hi OS

OK, so I swapped out the Midi Interface as I thought it might be this. When using the Ableton stock arpeggiator all gate values less than 00 are just clicks and anything above 100 opens the VCA channel on my ALM Tangle. When I use the built in VCA in Braids, values less than 100 open the VCA but anything above is unable to open the VCA.

Listening to the triggers the pattern they make is uneven and not, for example, constant 1/8th notes or whichever subdivision has been selected.

Whilst the CV signal is pulsing red on/off, the trigger/gate signal remains a constant blue.

So, at this point I am a bit confused. I'm not sure the Midi Interface nor the Firmware upgrade are really the issue here. Instead it is probably something else. To this end I have absolutely no idea, especially as it worked up until Sunday evening.

Any advice/guidance welcome.

Cheers
Hussein
os
Is something else in your system also sending MIDI to the FH-1? Sounds like two things are fighting for control.
hboon
Hi OS

nothing else attached. I don't use MIDI other than for communicating with FH-1, otherwise I wouldn't be using it at all except inside the DAW.

Another odd thing I've noticed regarding changed behaviour. Prior to updating the firmware, I used to be able to play a module in real time without the sequencer running. For example I could put the hold function on the arpeggiator and fool around with synth parameters without having to 'sequence' something. Now I can only play a synth/arp with the sequencer running as gates are not being sent. CV pitch yes but not gates.

There's some weirdness going on. I'm going to house it in a different rack and see if that clears things up.

Cheers
Hussein
eclectics
Hboon, did you work anything out? I’ve been experiencing gate not going low from midi notes, as well as various other oddness i’m trying to work out.

Ive been using ipad and lemur— monitoring midi shows that everything is as i think it should be.
hboon
Hi eclectics

Generally working but still has some odd behaviour that I can't fathom.
Keep changing MIDI interface, Ableton arpeggiator no longer behaves the way that's expected; note durations are whacked to say the least.

Sometimes a cycling LFO starts up on a higher numbered output even though I'm only using Midi Channel 1 to send pitch and gate info with nothing else plugged in. Something has changed but I'm not sure what.

I really like the unit and I think I can work around most of it. I only use the FH1 for notes; trigs and gates and LFO. The number of LFOs is fantastic and it certainly is a feat of programming and design to fit that much functionality into a single module. Just wish I knew why the oddness.

Not sure any of the above resolves your issues as I don't use an iPad.

Regards

Hussein
eclectics
Thanks for that.

I’m just getting in to doing more with FH-1 and ipad— for ages I was only using a clock/lfo preset. I’ve started to use the ipad for fx (saves on $/hp), so I can take advantage of it for control as well.

I’m using/learning Lemur, which is good, but fiddly, as well as some midi auv3 plugins through Aum.

The most annoying thing so far is that FH-1 doesnt always respond to the midi i’m sending. But since i’m using ipad->zoom u-24 interface—>din to usb—>FH-1, it might not be the FH-1’s fault. Going through the same hardware chain to a computer shows the messages i’m sending correctly though. Perhaps there’s some midi timing sensitivities?

I’m going to do more detailed experiments to see if i can work it out. I’ve got an iconnect box I can try which should eliminate the hardware chain as a source of error. I’ll post my findings and questions in another thread.
eclectics
OK, so I had a number of symptoms Dead Banana
* gates staying high from ipad sequencers, requiring an all notes off message
* lemur patch not working reliably (FH-1 seemed to miss messages, especially on sequencer step gates and skip/reset, and on clock speed changes, both for midi clock base and LFO rates. Faders/sliders seemed to be ok. I'm guessing because they send lots of messages and something sticks.

I could see that messages were being sent along my chain by plugging the end of it into the computer and monitoring with midi pipe.

But by replacing my midi chain (ipad-hub-zoom U-24->din midi to usb thing) with the iconnectAudio4+, almost all the problems disappear. nanners Like instantly-- gates from sequencers are fine, my lemur patch works reliably. The one issue remaining is when I change the midi clock divider too quickly, the clock (led sequence) on FH-1 hangs and can't be restarted without a reset.

The reason I'm using the zoom in the first place is that it's portable (much lighter than the iconnectAudio4+, which is quite embedded in my studio setup). I like the zoom to route audio from the modular through ipad effects.

The din-usb thing is quite cheap, though clearly works fine with a computer. And the hub is cheap, but works for audio over usb with the zoom.

In the long run, perhaps it's cheaper to get an iconnectAudio2+ rather than trying to find a reliable combination of other devices?
os
Some USB/DIN converter cables just plain don't work properly. Best avoided.
eclectics
I've found that I can get ipad - zoom - din to work with an old neusonik IM-ONE I had lying around -- it's a midi din to usb box for the original ipad.

So at least it's possible.

The FH-2 makes all of this much easier I guess.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1