MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Working on fixing the 'session logged out' issue - please log out and log back in as there is a new cookie name. It MAY be worse for a while, sorry. We'll see... I'm working on it. Thanks

Any video synthin' at NAMM 2016?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author Any video synthin' at NAMM 2016?

Ty

Yeah, yeah, its a MUSIC event but I believe LZX was there before? Also, there are other manf. that keep threatening to make stuff video handy. sad banana

I'm not finding any of the usual suspects (LZX, BSO) on the website or the NAMM app. What is there to look out for video wise?

AR126

at this point we could use some options.
just sayin......

cskonopka

AR126 wrote:
at this point we could use some options.
just sayin......

working on a few things to make life somewhat easier, at least tangentially spacious Dead Banana

AR126

hell,i'm open to suggestion...

reialex

Teenage Engineering showed the OP-Z which supposedly deals with video somewhat. I can't find any detailed information on it and the demo video barely touches on it.

What I can gather is that it can interface with scenes built in unity and control various parameters related to it? In the demo they show a scene of a dancing man and his movements respond to the tempo. Another scene demonstrates a light turning on/off in a scene in response to a trigger.

Overall, I'm not too certain about it and it seems rather disappointing. But we won't know until it's officially demo'd and documented.

cskonopka

reialex wrote:
Teenage Engineering showed the OP-Z which supposedly deals with video somewhat. I can't find any detailed information on it and the demo video barely touches on it.

What I can gather is that it can interface with scenes built in unity and control various parameters related to it? In the demo they show a scene of a dancing man and his movements respond to the tempo. Another scene demonstrates a light turning on/off in a scene in response to a trigger.

Overall, I'm not too certain about it and it seems rather disappointing. But we won't know until it's officially demo'd and documented.

Ok got the vid, this isn't really a video synth. From what it appears it will just be packs with various angles of a pre-defined video you can sequence. And you can't, nor have they even pondered, adding your own videos. As you can see in the video, this employee clearly stumbles on answering this specific question. The Critter Guitari Video Scope is closer to a video synth imo. So yeah, no vsynths at NAMM it seems from what I've heard. And this is a name grab for a niche market but they clearly didn't do their research. I like the idea but you still need a screen for this to work, that's kinda lame. I love the OP-1 though.

AR126

FFS,you would think...
dude in the video clearly looks like a stumbler.
(piss,grumble,bitch... i know..)

giantmecha

I saw this at NAMM and spoke to the TE guys, and it looks amazing. Yes you will be able to add your own content and map it accordingly, which is being built with Unity. I'd bet dollars to pesos that the OP-Z is going to be fantastic.

Oh and btw: CV OUT.

cskonopka

giantmecha wrote:
I saw this at NAMM and spoke to the TE guys, and it looks amazing. Yes you will be able to add your own content and map it accordingly, which is being built with Unity. I'd bet dollars to pesos that the OP-Z is going to be fantastic.

Oh and btw: CV OUT.

Cool! Ok, well that's good to know since the video didn't seem as fruitful. Unity eh? I wonder if you will be able to build your own environments or if it's still packs. Using Unity is great but that is kinda odd. Really badass in-person?

How many CV Outs?

wednesdayayay

on the back of the unit is 4 buttons and two yellow jacks
it doesn't seem like an audio in will be present
we know as it has been stated it is a stereo device
so that leaves one output that may or may not be stereo as well

my guess is 2 channels of cv

but I wonder if midi is present
perhaps the second yellow jack on the back can be defined in software to be MIDI or CV. I would assume the external control section on the opz will control CV, MIDI, and video synth depending on how you route things

I am going to have to start watching unity tutorials yippee

cskonopka

It would still be cheaper to get a Kangaroo + PD and learn GEM or get a monthly Max subscription. Learning curve is less steep as well but that is also an individualistic thing. I've always had a hard time with Unity outside of gaming concepts. Looking forward to see what people do with this.

giantmecha

I believe there will be modular capabilities to the OP-Z and it will be an extremely open platform, so audio inputs (or anything else, really) are not out of the question. And yes, you will be able to use Unity to create your own custom scenes.

cskonopka

giantmecha wrote:
I believe there will be modular capabilities to the OP-Z and it will be an extremely open platform, so audio inputs (or anything else, really) are not out of the question. And yes, you will be able to use Unity to create your own custom scenes.

That would be pretty awesome if it's open-source. So the audio could be designed or just routing of the parameters? I wonder what the Unity limitations will be. And I wonder what the board is, maybe a pi variant?

Ty

My NAMM review: (That no one asked for from mainly a video dude)

So after going to my first NAMM - Ill give it a "Meh". Ill admit that I didn't have much interest seeing anything outside of Euro and the big synth makers like Moog.

Before I even went I had already seen plenty of pictures and comments about what there was to see via Muffs, Instagram and FB and I went on Friday! There was no cool thing that I found there in person that wasn't already covered online. I got more info and a better idea how stuff sounded by watching Ken Flux's stuff or any of the other many video reviews available.

As far as video goes... I asked Dan at 4MS about the PAG. Reply: "Someday"

I asked Danjel (sp?) at Intellijel if he had any interest making video modules. Reply: "No, video doesn't really interest me."

I asked Chris at Audio Damage the same thing. Reply: "You are the 3rd person in just a few hours to ask me that. We are considering it, not sure, but maybe."

Everyone was really cool and nice to talk to. It was nice to thank folks in person for tools that you use all the time that bring you pleasure and they were appreciative to hear that.

Beyond that, the place was a freaking zoo. And the popular places like Moog were too busy with people putting their kids on the synths so they can take pictures and show everyone how cool their kid is. Again, this was Friday. I shudder to think about how it was over the weekend. Every "insider" told me to go on Friday as opposed to the weekend. I'm not sure if my pass was going to let me in on Thursday or not. I had to work anyway.

I prefer the meet ups at Analog Haven where you can actually hear what people say and how the modules sound. (I have not been to a meet up at Perfect Circuit)

Thankfully, I met up with some old High School friends who were in town for another convention and were visiting Disneyland that day. If it weren't for that happy accident, I would have found last Friday sort of a waste of a day off that would have been better spent in front of my own gear. YMMV It's peanut butter jelly time!

ersatzplanet

From what I have seen in the couple of videos about the OP-Z is that the OP-Z itself does not generate the video but sends commands to an external program running on a IOS device or computer. The OP-Z's command set is such that they MIGHT make it open source so that other players can write programs that respond to the commands it sends out. There are other VJ programs out there already that respond to MIDI sysex and CC controls, this is not much more. The one that TE supplies has the difference of also displaying the parameters on the OP-Z itself since it doesn't have any screens.

maggan

Follow this swedish machine.

samn

Hey, I will be doing demos on Saturday at NAMM for LZX with Lars and the crew and hopefully friday as well (jan 19-22 event) come say hi!

cskonopka

samn wrote:
Hey, I will be doing demos on Saturday at NAMM for LZX with Lars and the crew and hopefully friday as well (jan 19-22 event) come say hi!

AWESOME!!! I wish I could be there!! Please take some videos, I love your demos g.

Dirty_Bill

Hmm. Maybe I'll wing down for a visit!

samn

cskonopka wrote:
samn wrote:

AWESOME!!! I wish I could be there!! Please take some videos, I love your demos g.

Thanks man! We will try to do some vids. I've never been to NAMM so this will be super fun.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1