MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Anyone using a MUTE 4??
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Anyone using a MUTE 4??
Montgomery Word
I send it a bunch of random envelopes or different note cv's.... but it's boring, and I'm wondering how everyone else uses this module.
It seems almost useless. I feel similarly about my buffered performance mult.
I'm just hoping I'm missing something?
(hides)
exportexport
it's usable if you work with several sound sources. for example to mute drums or hats in your track.
euxine
exportexport wrote:
it's usable if you work with several sound sources. for example to mute drums or hats in your track.

I do this too - works great as a mutable mono unity mixer.

You could build up composite rhythms with more than one gate/trigger source.

On the CV side, I'd imagine that you'd want to have some subtle CV along with a 'main' CV - for instance, a big slow LFO/Envelope on one channel, and a faster, attenuated LFO on another. Not every input needs to be the main player. cool
noisejockey
Mine is a performance mute for drum submixing. It's perfect for BD, SD, OH, and CH. Live or doing two-track improvisations, I pretty much am in mono-land anyway, certainly for the drum channel. In detailed multi-track production I use the Mute 4 to solo each drum sound for recording.

I'm not quite set up this way, but I think Mute 4 comes alive with a quad mixing VCA: Route signals in, get the levels right, pass them to the Mute 4, sum out. Like building your own "light" version of the Mutagen/Dubmix in very few HP, albeit without any sends. I'd do it this way if I was going to do it all over again, or had more HP.

Another way to use it is as you are, or as you might: a manually controlled switching mixer for CV. Imagine having a set of LFOs at different frequencies and shapes; unmuting each would sum them, making ever more extreme modulations, then muting them would calm the modulations down again. However, those changes would be abrupt; a CV mixer with attenuation would feel like a better choice for my own music, but for sudden drops or immediate shifts the Mute 4 would be better.
geecen
I wouldn't buy it tbh. I would much prefer some kind of vc switch or vca/mixer situation for muting. That said, I can see how it could be useful if you do lots of drums etc., bringing different parts in and out.
jwm
i've had this on my 'maybe' list for a little while with the intent to use it as an audio mixer which would work well for me in a performance situation for the kind of music i make. never once thought about using it as a cv mixer.
MrNovember
I bought it with the intention to use it as an audio, specifically drum, mixer to bring parts in and out of the mix. However, I've been using it much more frequently to mix triggers to make more complicate rhythmic patterns
Crude
I plan to buy it just for live action.
Mute or de-mute synths or signals.
jgshoe
I've found it to be very very useful for live performances. whether for muting/mixing audio or control signals
Montgomery Word
Thanks everyone. Using it post mixer sounds especially clever, but I've never used it for drum muting. Funny, cuz I love my numeric repititor and this will be perfect to use with it. smile
sprout23
Montgomery Word wrote:
Thanks everyone. Using it post mixer sounds especially clever, but I've never used it for drum muting. Funny, cuz I love my numeric repititor and this will be perfect to use with it. smile

Experimenting, trying different uses with your modules that you normally don't do, I really like getting ideas from muffwigglers to try myself. The Mute4 is a lot of fun for performance use.
cthonist
I bought the attenuator version of this mixer because it evened out my HP. It's convenient for controlling the dynamics of the Three Sisters outs, for sure. Considering getting the mute as a compact performance CV summer, and for muting drums for live techno. Not a super exciting module, but anything that sums and has attenuation or switching is of some use
Jpscurry8
I also bought mine for drum submixing and live performance. Also, because of it being 3hp, it fits in the row with the Hertz donut!
hw408
I got a 4 mute switch thingy, then realized that would be pretty easy to diy l, but too late.
Plan was to be able to turn off channels of Zularic Repetitor.

I dont really have enough drum sounds to need it yet though, it just seemed like a good idea to have.
bedhed3000
I use this currently: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/zlob-Zlob-modular-push-vca

It's perfect for muting triggers or audio to stop things from making noise, or muting/unmuting clocks to start/stop sequencers. Since it has individual outs and a sum out, you can do interesting things with a few CV sources running through it, routed to different places.
pugix
I had a Mute 4 for mixing audio going into a Pico DSP in a performance rack. But later I replaced it with a 2hp MIX. MIX allows me to adjust levels, but it's a little fiddly with the tiny pots. Getting back 1 HP allowed a better module selection in the rack as well.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1