Make Noise 0 Coast

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Kja
Common Wiggler

Post by Kja » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:51 am

nrrrd wrote:Does anyone know if it's possible to somehow add a rest in the arpeggiator?
By sending some null MIDI of some sort? Or a note that is out of range of the oscillator?
Ta!
Yes it's possible... You sell your O-coast, then buy microvolt 3900. You can then actually put more than one rest in or change all notes, plus you can play it without a midi controller in random mode.

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:32 am

Kja wrote:
nrrrd wrote:Does anyone know if it's possible to somehow add a rest in the arpeggiator?
By sending some null MIDI of some sort? Or a note that is out of range of the oscillator?
Ta!
Yes it's possible... You sell your O-coast, then buy microvolt 3900. You can then actually put more than one rest in or change all notes, plus you can play it without a midi controller in random mode.
Or instead of selling your 0-Coast at a loss, and buying something more expensive, you just patch rests with the 0-Coast?

You're on the right track, nrrd-- you need to control the 0-Coast's tempo input and mix a clock source with another voltage. You want to either short out the clock and keep it low or extend the clock and keep it high.

Ratcheting is the same patch basically except the clock would always open the gate (contour circuit in normal patch, but you can choose for yourself since there are so many ways to do this).

If you also send a clock to the slope circuit to trigger it, you can synchronize your ratchets because that's just the clock divider patch. You could also fine tune thresholds by mixing the slope output with the gate and choosing the lin/exp freq response.

If you wanted to SEQUENCE a rest in your arpeggio it would depend on what you have. I have a Keystep that I'm sending midi to the 0-Coast with so it would be much easier to let the keystep control the arpeggios/sequencer. I will eventually get an SQ-1 which is also easier to do this with.

However, if those aren't an option and you need to find a way to sequence skips... it will take a little longer to figure out, but I think it could be done by adding high notes to the gate. I'd use the highest possible note you can produce and mix that in-- then you have as many available rests as you have keys that produce high enough voltages to extend the clock :)

EDIT: links to instagram demos of these patch ideas

nrrrd
Common Wiggler

Post by nrrrd » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:07 pm

@luketeaford

Apologies, I've been away over the Christmas hols so I've only just seen this.

Thanks for those patch tips. I hadn't thought about hijacking the clock, so that has opened my eyes to a different way of patching.

I have a Beatstep Pro so I can (and do!) sequence the 0-Coast from that, but I was thinking of buying a keyboard and was wondering what functionality I could get out of the in-built arpeggiator.

I've just bought an Arduino with a view to producing a controller for the 0-Coast, either a better sequencer / arpeggiator that will plug into a USB MIDI keyboard or a riff on the Buchla 5 step sequencer with Pressure Points / Brains mash up.

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:43 pm

No problem!

I am not a huge fan of the arpeggiator to be honest-- it only works with MIDI and it's more limited than just arpeggiating with whatever you're sendng the MIDI from. It may also leave the 0-Coast with the arp latched on (I forget if this happens?)

I think your arduino project and beatstep pro is probably giving you everything you'd want. It's kind of fun to play a keystep with the 0-coast-- I just don't like the arp. (... and in the time since I first wrote about this I got an SQ-1 so I will probably never use the arp. again :) )

a.b
Learning to Wiggle

Post by a.b » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:25 pm

As my MIDI-Keyboard that i play the 0-coast with has a built-in arpeggiator, I found "chaining" them quite funny.
With 0-coasts arp latched and both arps with different tempi, every note played by the keyboard switches that note in the 0-coasts arp sequence on/off/on... , sort-of complicating or even randomising the melody, depending on the timing difference.

nrrrd
Common Wiggler

Post by nrrrd » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:00 am

Thanks for all the replies above.

I'm now designing a 5 or 7 stage sequencer specifically for the 0-coast, using an Arduino. It'll have one row of MIDI output and one row of CV output.

Has anyone measured the output voltages of the 0-coast, for example, the slope, contour, clock output, etc.?

I'm wondering if I'll need to attenuate the signals before passing to the Arduino.

Also, does anyone have any information as to what voltage the inputs require? It will be easy to have this as 0-5V, but I'll need a different power supply and an op-amp if it has to be (for example) 0-8V.

Thanks.

(This will be an easy to build and open source project. I'll stick everything on github / github pages.)

cnicht
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:00 am

I don’t have an 0 Coast but am interested in your proposed project.

P.18 of the User Manual http://www.makenoisemusic.com/content/m ... manual.pdf seems to have the information you’re looking for.

There are more voltages specified further in the manual with some being 8 and 10V for various envelopes and CVs. It seems to indicate that anything above 2V will be sufficient level for a clock though.

nrrrd
Common Wiggler

Post by nrrrd » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:51 am

Thanks, I thought I'd looked in the user manual, but obviously not closely enough!

So, it seems that:
Contour = 0 to 8v
Slope = 0 to 8v
Stepped random = 0 to 10v (possibly, this is the one that is unclear).
Clock = 8v
Gate = 8v

I plan on using the clock from the 0-Coast to drive the sequencer, not the other way round.
So, I think if I attenuate my inputs to 5/8 of the source voltage, and then protect for overvoltage, the arduino should avoid being fried!
It's probably also a good idea to rectify the inputs to avoid any negative voltage, if someone tries to feed the audio signal into the sequencer!

cnicht
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:01 pm

It’s probably a good idea to clamp the input voltages to the Arduino with a couple of SB diodes to prevent over or under voltages which the microcontroller is sensitive to.

Are you planning to use a UNO Arduino or similar? There is firmware you can load into it to give MIDI over USB as well.

nrrrd
Common Wiggler

Post by nrrrd » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:38 pm

cnicht wrote: Are you planning to use a UNO Arduino or similar?
Yeah, probably a Arduino Nano. I have a Uno that I use as a development board. Once it's all working on the breadboard, I'll use a Nano on a stripboard. Or I might get some PCBs printed, and use just the microcontroller IC, which will mean I'll have to flash it with the bootloader and "firmware" first.

Derp
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Derp » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:06 pm

Make Noise: "We don't want you to rack this. It's designed to be a standalone instrument."

Eurorack Users: "Hey look, it fits my Eurorack perfectly!"

Make Noise:

Yeah, I know I'm late to the party on this, but I just racked mine, and Pikachu was the first thing that came to mind.

The Junglechrist
Ultra Wiggler

Post by The Junglechrist » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:46 am

Hey there 0-Coast enthusiast and curious, we just did a new Patch From Scratch using this little beast as tuned noise percussion generator :

[video][/video]
Stazma The Junglechrist / Repeat Eater: http://stazmathejunglechrist.com/

My label Concrete Collage : https://concretecollage.bandcamp.com/

Wired Brain Video Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh4pym ... vkKp6ofzVA

woVERTICES
Wiggling with Experience

Post by woVERTICES » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:46 pm

The Olegtron 4020 8 CVs out to various INS on the O-Coast...sonic bliss!
Best,
John
www.johnjpotter.com
ImageImage

redmotion
1-Post Wiggler

Post by redmotion » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:49 am

I just got a 0-coast and I love it but I'd like to control it with Ableton via CV somehow.

EDIT:

Qunexus does work sending CV out on CV 2-3 to 0-coast, not sure what I was doing wrong the last time I tried...

Thanks.

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:18 pm

I'm GAS'n over this so hard... I can't decide what to add to my setup.

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:07 am

Anyone have some examples of the 0-Coast being used musically/incorporated somehow rather than experimentally?

Bath House
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Bath House » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:20 am

Birth_Chord wrote:Anyone have some examples of the 0-Coast being used musically/incorporated somehow rather than experimentally?
I used it all over my recent record - https://younghierophant.bandcamp.com/ - most easily heard as the main progression on track 2 and the ebullient arp on track 4.
Catholic Roland Modular New Age Acid:
www.goodglassrecords.com

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:25 am

Bath House wrote:
Birth_Chord wrote:Anyone have some examples of the 0-Coast being used musically/incorporated somehow rather than experimentally?
I used it all over my recent record - https://younghierophant.bandcamp.com/ - most easily heard as the main progression on track 2 and the ebullient arp on track 4.
Excellent, thanks! It does have a very nice character. I think when the time comes it will be my first introduction to modular.

Not counting my first synth, the MicroBrute... 8-)

spikysimon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by spikysimon » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:00 pm

I used it for the lead/arp on this track. It definitely has its own distinctive sound and it’s hard to get away from that, but it’s definitely useful musically. It can do some pretty tasty bass as well.
Bath House wrote:I used it all over my recent record - https://younghierophant.bandcamp.com/ - most easily heard as the main progression on track 2 and the ebullient arp on track 4.
Nice! And ebullient arp is a very good descriptor :)

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:23 pm

Melodies here:
https://soundcloud.com/verklighetensfol ... ated-squin

Bassline here:
https://soundcloud.com/verklighetensfol ... -murdering

I like it a lot and it got me into Eurorack. However, since my rack got to a certain size I'm never really focusing on my 0-coast anymore. Some people really like connecting several cases or their Eurorack and some semi modular synths but I've noticed that I don't at all. Some psychological thing, I guess. I can't explain it.
Icy and melodic braindance/IDM winter track. ❄️

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:23 pm

lisa wrote:
Melodies here:
https://soundcloud.com/verklighetensfol ... ated-squin

Bassline here:
https://soundcloud.com/verklighetensfol ... -murdering

I like it a lot and it got me into Eurorack. However, since my rack got to a certain size I'm never really focusing on my 0-coast anymore. Some people really like connecting several cases or their Eurorack and some semi modular synths but I've noticed that I don't at all. Some psychological thing, I guess. I can't explain it.
The most modular thing I’ve used is my Peak :hihi:

I understand that though, once you go full rack I’m sure it’s a bit hard/inconvenient to incorporate blackboxes although I can see the 0-Coast having a pretty permanent spot in my setup. I’d try out a Mother 32 but I think the 0-Coast is more versatile for me and I have a Sub Phatty already.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:17 pm

Birth_Chord wrote:I understand that though, once you go full rack I’m sure it’s a bit hard/inconvenient to incorporate blackboxes although I can see the 0-Coast having a pretty permanent spot in my setup.
Yeah, don't worry about it. It's just some kind of hangup that I have, I can't even explain it. 0-coast is a great instrument. Normalled but highly patchable. Interesting functions/sections. Takes a bit of time to understand but worth it. :tu:
Icy and melodic braindance/IDM winter track. ❄️

hipiers
1-Post Wiggler

Post by hipiers » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:45 pm

I'm looking for some advice with the arpeggiator, it seems there's something I'm missing.

I'd like to clock the arp via MIDI, with my Digitakt acting as the master. Sending MIDI clock doesn't work because the rate is far too slow, this has been discussed elsewhere. I can use the MIDI B channel on the 0-coast and patch the Gate to the Tempo, this works fine but only when the arpeggiator is not running.

Everything is working fine individually, the arp is playing the notes it's receiving, and the MIDI B gate is triggering the tempo. But I can't get both to happen at the same time. As soon as I turn the arp on, the tempo stops getting triggered, and the notes cease. The MIDI B light is still flashing with every note.

Any ideas? I've tried the legato setting.

piearesquared
Common Wiggler

Post by piearesquared » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:23 am

A bit of improvisation on the Make Noise 0-Coast and SOMA Laboratory Lyra-8. Running both through some effect chains in Ableton that I am controlling via the Akai Professional MPK Mini while the parameters on the 0-Coast are being modulated by the ALM Busy Circuits Pamela's New Workout. The most interesting thing about this track in my opinion is all the side chaining that's happening between the sound sources and the effects, which keeps everything moving subtly throughout the track as well as how everything is slightly off tuning wise.
[video][/video]

Kja
Common Wiggler

Post by Kja » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:50 pm

piearesquared wrote:A bit of improvisation on the Make Noise 0-Coast and SOMA Laboratory Lyra-8. Running both through some effect chains in Ableton that I am controlling via the Akai Professional MPK Mini while the parameters on the 0-Coast are being modulated by the ALM Busy Circuits Pamela's New Workout. The most interesting thing about this track in my opinion is all the side chaining that's happening between the sound sources and the effects, which keeps everything moving subtly throughout the track as well as how everything is slightly off tuning wise.
[video][/video]
I thought you couldn't trigger the voices in the Lyra remotely, it didn't have CV or midi right? How are you playing it without touching it?

Return to “General Gear”