Make Noise 0 Coast

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

piearesquared
Common Wiggler

Post by piearesquared » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:05 pm

Kja wrote:
piearesquared wrote:A bit of improvisation on the Make Noise 0-Coast and SOMA Laboratory Lyra-8. Running both through some effect chains in Ableton that I am controlling via the Akai Professional MPK Mini while the parameters on the 0-Coast are being modulated by the ALM Busy Circuits Pamela's New Workout. The most interesting thing about this track in my opinion is all the side chaining that's happening between the sound sources and the effects, which keeps everything moving subtly throughout the track as well as how everything is slightly off tuning wise.
[video][/video]
I thought you couldn't trigger the voices in the Lyra remotely, it didn't have CV or midi right? How are you playing it without touching it?

Depending on where you have the Hold knobs set, each one controlling a group of four oscillators, you can make it play chords (or drones) by engaging the fast toggle for each group of two oscillators without touching the touch plates. You can see me play these chords at the beginning and then i leave them on when the 0-coast starts playing and then towards the end I actually play the oscillators separately. Hope that explains it.

Edit: While it doesn't have MIDI it does have a CV in for modulating the oscillators (doesn't track 1v/oct) and two gate inputs

electricanada
Ultra Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:25 pm

piearesquared wrote:
Kja wrote: I thought you couldn't trigger the voices in the Lyra remotely, it didn't have CV or midi right? How are you playing it without touching it?
Depending on where you have the Hold knobs set, each one controlling a group of four oscillators, you can make it play chords (or drones) by engaging the fast toggle for each group of two oscillators without touching the touch plates. You can see me play these chords at the beginning and then i leave them on when the 0-coast starts playing and then towards the end I actually play the oscillators separately. Hope that explains it.

Edit: While it doesn't have MIDI it does have a CV in for modulating the oscillators (doesn't track 1v/oct) and two gate inputs
The hold gate can turn all the voices up and down via external cv. It's sometimes useful, but I have to filter it to smithereens to get it to fit in with anything else and not overwhelm.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

piearesquared
Common Wiggler

Post by piearesquared » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:04 am

electricanada wrote:
piearesquared wrote:
Kja wrote: I thought you couldn't trigger the voices in the Lyra remotely, it didn't have CV or midi right? How are you playing it without touching it?

The hold gate can turn all the voices up and down via external cv. It's sometimes useful, but I have to filter it to smithereens to get it to fit in with anything else and not overwhelm.
Yeah, it's also somewhat hindered by the fact that you have no control over the envelopes

sleepmute
Common Wiggler

Post by sleepmute » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:08 am

Birth_Chord wrote:Anyone have some examples of the 0-Coast being used musically/incorporated somehow rather than experimentally?
I used it for bass on these two tracks. It's also the weird solos in the background on the first one (not the harp sound), but that's pitched way up with Little Alter Boy.

https://soundcloud.com/wandaplaza/vapin-in-my-4x4

https://soundcloud.com/wandaplaza/the-man-from-leshan

It definitely does have a signature sound, which I guess could be seen as a problem, but that doesn't stop people from using Farfisas and Omnichords and Minimoogs, which are all pretty distinctive.

nrrrd
Common Wiggler

Post by nrrrd » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:17 am

I've just completed a 10 week "Improvising Electronic Music" course where I used my 0-coast as my "instrument" to do small group (5 people per group) and large group (up to 20 people) ensemble improvisations.

The course itself wasn't great (badly taught, slow and disorganised) but playing in the groups was a real highlight, especially as I've not done anything like it before.

The 0-coast was a great instrument for this. I used it a couple of ways. Firstly, self-patching and secondly with a Beatstep Pro.
A few notes on my experience:

1. You have to set up the patch quickly, and sometimes it's not as good as you'd like but you have to just roll with it.
2. The 0-coast can really cut through the thick noise that such ensembles can produce.
3. Riding the dynamics knob and the line out at the same time brings changes in timbre but not volume - turn the volume up as you turn the dynamics down!
4. When self patching, you have to rely on the clock source or the slope EOC to do the triggering. This means you have something playing all the time, and in an ensemble like this you sometimes need to get out of the way and let someone else have a turn. You can ride the volume for this, but it's not ideal and you can't make a single sound contribution when you want to.

I found the self-patching / generative patching really rewarding but I think the best accompaniment for this would be a simple trigger generator - i.e. push a switch to generate a trigger signal and use it to trigger an envelope, or the tempo, or something else. You can build this from a momentary switch, a 9V battery, two resistors (voltage divider) and a 3.5mm mono jack.

TLDR: build one or two trigger generators for your 0-coast for about a fiver.

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:25 am

nrrrd wrote:I found the self-patching / generative patching really rewarding but I think the best accompaniment for this would be a simple trigger generator - i.e. push a switch to generate a trigger signal and use it to trigger an envelope, or the tempo, or something else. You can build this from a momentary switch, a 9V battery, two resistors (voltage divider) and a 3.5mm mono jack.

TLDR: build one or two trigger generators for your 0-coast for about a fiver.
I am still surprised they haven't come out with (or rather won't be surprised when they do come out with)- a sister module to the 0-Coast, same form factor, with some sequencing/touchpads/ ribbon controller aspects, that you can 'play' the 0-Coast or other Eurorack synths with. Kind of like that Verbos Mini Horse but with some quantization and not $699.

Your course sounds fun as hell, doing electronic music with other people can be equal parts heaven and hell (I suppose you could say the same about making electronic music by yourself as well). I was in an Ableton Users "Club" in college that was the same thing, totally unpredictable chaos (thankfully free), but sometimes was really fun. I think a ot of the people being drunk and high at the same time was a big factor :nana: :banana: :sadbanana:

kinkujin
Common Wiggler

Post by kinkujin » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:32 am

Been reading through this thread and it has convinced me that i need one. Very much dig it's sound. Why of why do I read these threads ....

electricanada
Ultra Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:52 am

gentle_attack wrote: I am still surprised they haven't come out with (or rather won't be surprised when they do come out with)- a sister module to the 0-Coast, same form factor, with some sequencing/touchpads/ ribbon controller aspects, that you can 'play' the 0-Coast or other Eurorack synths with. Kind of like that Verbos Mini Horse but with some quantization and not $699.
They already make that. You're describing Pressure Points (which lacks only quantization).

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nutritional Zero » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:02 pm

nrrrd wrote: The 0-coast was a great instrument for this. I used it a couple of ways. Firstly, self-patching and secondly with a Beatstep Pro.
I’d be interested in any patch notes you can recall for the self-patched scenario.

:guinness:

naos
Common Wiggler

Post by naos » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:08 pm

I am still surprised they haven't come out with (or rather won't be surprised when they do come out with)- a sister module to the 0-Coast, same form factor, with some sequencing/touchpads/ ribbon controller aspects, that you can 'play' the 0-Coast or other Eurorack synths with. Kind of like that Verbos Mini Horse but with some quantization and not $699.
anything affordable from any other brand that would do that job? (for us poor slobs won't don't want to hear about powered eurorack)

oliq
Learning to Wiggle

Rack mounting 0 coast

Post by oliq » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:57 pm

I rack mounted my 0 coast in my tiptop Mantis and wrote up a guide for others as I've seen quite a bit of interest in rack mounting it.

https://www.mentataudio.com/gear-studio ... rack-case/

I know for some people it's a bit of an odd thing to do, taking up rack space when it's got its own case, but for me it made my system neatly all fit in one case with one power supply. Bonus effect of filling up some hp and slowing the drain on my wallet!

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:09 pm

electricanada wrote:
gentle_attack wrote: I am still surprised they haven't come out with (or rather won't be surprised when they do come out with)- a sister module to the 0-Coast, same form factor, with some sequencing/touchpads/ ribbon controller aspects, that you can 'play' the 0-Coast or other Eurorack synths with. Kind of like that Verbos Mini Horse but with some quantization and not $699.
They already make that. You're describing Pressure Points (which lacks only quantization).
Doesn't have quantization, doesn't have it's own case :hmm:

electricanada
Ultra Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:00 pm

gentle_attack wrote:
electricanada wrote:
Doesn't have quantization, doesn't have it's own case :hmm:
Easy enough to put it in a pod with a 156 though.

forrest
Learning to Wiggle

Pitch on CV vs MIDI

Post by forrest » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:39 am

Hey wigglers,

Got my 0-coast yesterday and spent around 8 hours straight playing with it, I'm totally addicted already. I've seen this question asked many times but with no definitive answer it seems. When I use the midi out on my arturia keystep into the midi in on the 0-coast the middle C sounds great (pitch all CCW, fine @ 10o'clock, after VCO calibration).. However, if I unplug the midi, and plug the pitch & gate in directly from the keysteps pitch/gate out, the pitch of the sound goes up maybe 3-4 octaves.

I don't mind just using the midi connection but I'm already planning my rack and will likely not control it via midi very soon. Has anyone run into this and successfully resolved it? As mentioned I've already calibrated the VCO and via midi in it's working fine, just via CV/pitch directly there seems to be an issue.

Thanks for any suggestions!

nrrrd
Common Wiggler

Post by nrrrd » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:40 pm

Try holding PGM B down to clear the MIDI.

The reason to do this is that the pitch is a combination of MIDI + 1V oct. This can be fun running two sequences (one into each input) but when switching from MIDI to 1V oct the 0-coast sometimes remembers the last MIDI note and adds the 1V oct to that.

The other thing to do is use MIDI control centre to change the 0V reference for the Keystep.

reignbear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Pitch on CV vs MIDI

Post by reignbear » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:55 pm

forrest wrote:Hey wigglers,

Got my 0-coast yesterday and spent around 8 hours straight playing with it, I'm totally addicted already. I've seen this question asked many times but with no definitive answer it seems. When I use the midi out on my arturia keystep into the midi in on the 0-coast the middle C sounds great (pitch all CCW, fine @ 10o'clock, after VCO calibration).. However, if I unplug the midi, and plug the pitch & gate in directly from the keysteps pitch/gate out, the pitch of the sound goes up maybe 3-4 octaves.

I don't mind just using the midi connection but I'm already planning my rack and will likely not control it via midi very soon. Has anyone run into this and successfully resolved it? As mentioned I've already calibrated the VCO and via midi in it's working fine, just via CV/pitch directly there seems to be an issue.

Thanks for any suggestions!
I feel like it might just be how the internal midi>cv on the 0-coast is configured to make it more user friendly for plug and play midi. If you can transpose down the keystep and it gets as low as you need it and still tracks then you’re all good.

forrest
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Pitch on CV vs MIDI

Post by forrest » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:35 pm

Thank you reignbear & nrrrd!

This was a learning experience, apparently not all controllers output the same voltage! This page was some help: https://learningmodular.com/matching-oc ... r-modular/ I am going to need to get a tuner or a multimeter maybe better to keep around!

Resetting by holding PGM B after unplugging midi seems always necessary, and I had to tune my 0v on the keystep to F#-1 to equal C2 with no octave changes. Dropped by a perfect fifth!

I'll be investigating further, thanks again! (edit: used the tuner to adjust FINE to make it sound pretty much perfect), going to make sure I get a precision adder module in my kit for the future, seems like a good tool.)

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:16 am

nrrrd wrote:4. When self patching, you have to rely on the clock source or the slope EOC to do the triggering. This means you have something playing all the time, and in an ensemble like this you sometimes need to get out of the way and let someone else have a turn. You can ride the volume for this, but it's not ideal and you can't make a single sound contribution when you want to.
Cool insights, but this one isn't quite true-- you can create a trigger by tapping into the voltage maths section or turning the offset up/down :tu:

nrrrd
Common Wiggler

Post by nrrrd » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:19 pm

luketeaford wrote: Cool insights, but this one isn't quite true-- you can create a trigger by tapping into the voltage maths section or turning the offset up/down :tu:
Tru dat. :)
You can also create a randomly occurring gate by feeding the stepped random into the attenuverter and turning it down until it only triggers every so often.
Nutritional Zero wrote: I’d be interested in any patch notes you can recall for the self-patched scenario.
I'm afraid not! I've even tried to recreate some patches but they aren't quite the same. I wish I'd just snapped a pic with my phone.

Jenseits
Common Wiggler

Post by Jenseits » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:13 am

I rarely miss something i sold.
The 0-Coast is an exception. I quite often think about it especially when listening to some stuff i recorded earlier and hearing how the 0-Coast contributed to that stuff.

Like someone said above: It cuts thru the mix! And the sounds it produced which were sometimes annoying or i was bored with work very well and sound interesting in context.

I don't want more outboard gear atm but still i miss the 0-Coast and how it contributed so easily :waah:

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:37 am

Birth_Chord wrote:Anyone have some examples of the 0-Coast being used musically/incorporated somehow rather than experimentally?
Melodies in this track as well:
https://soundcloud.com/verklighetensfolk/commutator-lad

supertwang
1-Post Wiggler

Post by supertwang » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:03 pm

Birth_Chord wrote
Anyone have some examples of the 0-Coast being used musically/incorporated somehow rather than experimentally?
I'm using it for melodies in this track... 0Coast comes in around 0:46. (Also featuring the Erebus3 @ 2:10 in the middle of the track), then 0Coast back in towards the end.

https://soundcloud.com/lumin8/botsong[/quote]

Muzone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muzone » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:52 am

There's an online patch library for 0-coast now available :) https://patch-library.net/patches/new?d ... se-0-coast
I've briefly tested it and all seems correct, the designer is very open to feedback so if you have any suggestions there's an email contact on the site.

Kja
Common Wiggler

Post by Kja » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:00 am

Not sure how much of this will be the same, but I made a two button fingerboard for pitch from the +5v attenueverter on my microvolt to "play it". I believe the o-coast has a mixer as well so I think you could do the same, is not perfect like a keyboard but it works well enough and is different enough to go along with the west coast experimental nature. I have two allflesh pads one in a input+5v and one in a output and the other output patched to pitch in on the microvolt.

So when you give it +5v you get the whole range of notes and you hold one and use pressure on the other to play.. you can even sequence what you play from the 6 stage register but I'm not sure that's on the o-coast, not sure how the sample and hold works on it.

naos
Common Wiggler

Post by naos » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:43 am

I hate the 0-coast's sound character (agressively clean, bland and plasticky), but I love its functions and its ability to give musically satisfying results nonetheless, be it jazzy, folksy, droney or generative stuff.

Return to “General Gear”