Make Noise 0 Coast

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Platystomos
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Platystomos » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:26 am

Hi all,
Is the slope section of the 0-coast a uni or bipolar LFO ?
According to the manual it looks like unipolar but as far as I am still a newbie, would like to know..
Bottom line is that I am trying to figure out which type of LFO / function generator I should go to complement the system
Thanks !

chiasticon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chiasticon » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:14 am

unipolar. 0 to 8V.

gnsk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gnsk » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:42 am

Platystomos wrote:Hi all,
Is the slope section of the 0-coast a uni or bipolar LFO ?
you can use the SUM input -> led to check it. green: + red: -

Platystomos
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Platystomos » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:03 am

Thanks guys ! :hail:

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:11 am

in this video from 0:25 on it looks a lot like the Overtone section is basically the first 50% of the DPO's Shape knob:

the 'triangle' looks and sounds quite like a sine wave, and it looks and sounds very much like the DPO spike wave when Overtone is in the last 80% of the knob's travel, especially with Multiply turned up.

but I've heard others say that Overtone & Multiply are substantially different from the DPO's Shape & Fold, and in loopop's video the scope shots look different. can anyone else with a 0-coast and a DPO confirm the similarities? (apart from the Angle control which is missing on the 0-coast.)

as much as I love the different flavors of batshit cross-modulated exponential FM on the DPO, the most frequently usable stuff I get out of my DPO is from restrained usage of the timbre section, where all the reediness and buzzing electricity is at.

sleepmute
Common Wiggler

Post by sleepmute » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:15 pm

I've been thinking about getting a DPO and have been wondering the same thing. I hear a lot of similarities between the two, but maybe the way you get to those sounds is a bit different. In any case, the 0-Coast sounds brighter and less buzzy to me although turning down the dynamics helps a bit.

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:41 pm

Yeah, they are different, but you can kind of get there. Angle is really subtle on the DPO and it seems to repeat as you move through its range. It's so subtle in fact that I think you can kind of make up for it by just adding any tiny amount of modulation on the balance parameter and it creates a similar "fizz" on top.

I agree that the 0-Coast is brighter, it also never manages to sound as hollow or raw as the DPO can. I have been playing with the DPO and 0-Coast simultaneously trying to create similar tones on each. It's close but not identical.

wwwwooo
1-Post Wiggler

Post by wwwwooo » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:20 pm

new to forum and newbie in general, so i apologize if its shitty to bump this thread/if its a stupid question just couldnt find any definitive answers

i just got some stackable cables, and i was wondering if there are any no-nos when using them with the 0 coast. i have been reading about how they should generally not be used for anything other than stacking an output to multiple inputs, but the 0 coast manual says basically every jack is an input and an output, and you shouldnt worry about making a "wrong" connection. does this same general rule for stackables apply to the 0 coast? i tried searching a bunch but couldnt find any definitive answers. just dont want to damage my synth making a stupid mistake

orangehexagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Make Noise 0 Coast

Post by orangehexagon » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:43 pm

You'll be fine.

If this were some DIY, homebrew type of module, then you *might* want to tread carefully, but this is a well-built synth.

Side note: your avatar is.. a bit much, no?

Return to “General Gear”