Make Noise 0 Coast

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

de_raaf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by de_raaf » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:45 pm

looks like lot of fun, offers interesting functions, hard not to like, i like the semimodular factor for these standalone things and this looks really nice function wise

dumaisaudio
Common Wiggler

Post by dumaisaudio » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:54 pm

For $499, they're definitely giving Moog a run for their money in the desktop modular market. I have a Shared System, but still like to get this. Seems like a lot of fun and it's different enough from their other stuff, it should attract a new customer base for them.

bucketbrigade
Common Wiggler

Post by bucketbrigade » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:05 am

It's gorgeous. So tiny! A year and a half ago this would have definitely been my gateway drug to euro. But now I'm saving for a bigger case, not a semi-modular :hihi: I'm not sure there's enough ways to get modulation going into those inputs just from the unit itself. I'm guessing it would be way more interesting interfacing with Euro. Which, again, makes it a perfect first step for the Euro-curious.

DonaldCrunk
pregnant with sound

Post by DonaldCrunk » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:14 am

i think its a really cool box! also curious to see if it is eurorackable. my gut says it is not!

Nofrenchtests
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Nofrenchtests » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:22 am

So cute!

jimmie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jimmie » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:45 am

[video][/video]

Another video coming!

StanleyHiller
Common Wiggler

Post by StanleyHiller » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:50 am

Pretty neat. Would consider something like this if I wasn't already knee deep in trying to fill my euro case. Would be nice for a stripped down performance, love the harmonic stuff.

This, a small sequencer, and a couple of korg micro-dealies could make for a fun set!

homodyne
Veteran Wiggler

Post by homodyne » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:09 am

:bananaguitar: I wonder if the slope genertator's CV tracks 1v/octave... if so this is sort of a complex oscillator in a box.

It wouldn't make sense if this was not eurorack mountable... it's meant to get people into euro modular, not away from it. I dreamt about this thing last night... had an argument with Tony (whom I don't know) about its features... weird :hihi:

So maybe it's not rack mountable.... haha!
We're only in it for the vactrols.

khiner
Common Wiggler

Post by khiner » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:23 am

"The idea was to make a synth that was mostly sweet spots, so that someone could get it and start making sound immediately"

Awesome. It looks true to that goal!
homodyne wrote: it's meant to get people into euro modular, not away from it.
It's an unexpected move for sure. Not sure that it's necessarily meant to get people into modular though, I think the bigger goal is just to make making interesting music easy. I like the standalone desktop thing that's been happening. It's not really what I'm looking for right now but a good reminder that those patch cables aren't limited to the euro case! Also nice to be able to throw it in a backpack OR patch it next to the rig.

clarke68
Making DIY modulars look cool since 2011

Post by clarke68 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:25 am

I think it's Euro-rackable. A few stills from the Sonic State video on hi-def:

It looks like it comes in a pretty awesome little skiff...would be great for a bunch of controller modules, like the Sound Machines LS1/LP1. I wonder if they'll sell those by themselves?
DIY Euro synth panels: Synthcube

clarkerobinson.com - music, video, synth panels, and more!

homodyne
Veteran Wiggler

Post by homodyne » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:43 am

khiner wrote:"The idea was to make a synth that was mostly sweet spots, so that someone could get it and start making sound immediately"
This could translate to instant gratification, limited range... but then it's patchable.

homodyne
Veteran Wiggler

Post by homodyne » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:47 am

Double post.
Last edited by homodyne on Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

L.C.O.
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by L.C.O. » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:48 am

Kingnimrod wrote:Why did it get moved? Looks like it is mountable in a euro case - has four screws on the top.
yeah, weird.
this thread gets moved, but the idiotic "paris hilton" thread/turd remains in here for weeks!... go figure.

wm.wragg
Common Wiggler

Post by wm.wragg » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:18 am

According to the makenoise reply to this tweet, it's not a module: https://twitter.com/baielala/status/689999866584551426

joem
Ultra Wiggler

Post by joem » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:22 am

L.C.O. wrote:
Kingnimrod wrote:Why did it get moved? Looks like it is mountable in a euro case - has four screws on the top.
yeah, weird.
this thread gets moved, but the idiotic "paris hilton" thread/turd remains in here for weeks!... go figure.
I'm not sticking up for the paris hilton thread (I think the fact that the original post was deleted by the author himself speaks volumes), but so far we have no confirmation that this 0-Coast is actually eurorack. And ignatius did indeed say
prove it and i'll move it
so I'm sure if it's discovered to be eurorack, it'll get moved back. Have some faith.

L.C.O.
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by L.C.O. » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:25 am

wm.wragg wrote:According to the makenoise reply to this tweet, it's not a module: https://twitter.com/baielala/status/689999866584551426
well then, that's that.

cool, but i will not be buying unless i can put it in my case.

Tempi though... :hyper:

wm.wragg
Common Wiggler

Post by wm.wragg » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:34 am

I know right, that Tempi module looks really cool.

junklight
Common Wiggler

Post by junklight » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:46 am

L.C.O. wrote:
wm.wragg wrote:According to the makenoise reply to this tweet, it's not a module: https://twitter.com/baielala/status/689999866584551426
well then, that's that.

funny since Tony calls it a module in the Sonic state video!

Going to try and resist this one & hoping they bring out some of those new circuits in separate modules. The Tempi on the other hand is just what I'm looking for I think .....

High Wolf
Veteran Wiggler

Post by High Wolf » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:08 am

Module or not, I don't really care, it can sit outside the box. Looks really cool, and all this new circuitry makes me want it...499$ is "cheap", not even the price of a DPO. It is gonna be a competitor for the Mother 32 for sure but it has significant less patchable spots it looks like, would have been cool to have cv out for the enveloppes. And no filter, when M32 has THE filter, so I guess they'll work well together.

Xmit
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Xmit » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:39 am

well this is unexpected ... & on my radar for sure. :party: I've got 2 x Mother 32s inbound ( come on UK, ffs...let's have em! ) & my trusty SEM Pro is ready.. sold off a lot of my other little semi-modular units but this looks like it could sit alongside the Moogs & SEM quite nicely for some different, perhaps more esoteric sound design options.... :hmm:

aux.tech
Learning to Wiggle

Post by aux.tech » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:11 am

High Wolf wrote:Module or not, I don't really care, it can sit outside the box. Looks really cool, and all this new circuitry makes me want it...499$ is "cheap", not even the price of a DPO. It is gonna be a competitor for the Mother 32 for sure but it has significant less patchable spots it looks like, would have been cool to have cv out for the enveloppes. And no filter, when M32 has THE filter, so I guess they'll work well together.
I agree the M32 and 0-Coast will pair well together, and they both seem like great entry level synths. It's tempting, but I just picked up a second Function and generally speaking the 0-Coast doesn't appear to offer anything I need.

Like another post said, if this had come out 2+ years ago I woulda jumped on it. But for now I'll just sit back and continue to try and convince myself that I don't need this...even though it does look very good for the price. Maybe its time to start selling off a few of the extra things I have laying around that barely get used.

bleeds_on_keys
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bleeds_on_keys » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:03 am

StanleyHiller
High Wolf
I was more imaging it sitting next to a Minitaur with both being hooked up to a Beatstep Pro and SQ-1 (Beatstep for pitch, sq-1 for modulation). :mrgreen:

MrDys
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MrDys » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:55 am

As someone who just got out of modular audio, I would pick this badboy up. Its sound structure is actually how I'd start most of my patches in the modular (tri/sine into a wave folder). The price is great, the patch options are great, the form factor is great. I love the Serge-yness of it. I'm having a hard time coming up with why I shouldn't pick one up...
darenager wrote:I wonder how many people with Maths don't know it can file a tax return, or that Plague Bearer can indeed give bears the plague
suitandtieguy wrote:STG IS ALL ABOUT THE PLUR.

ablearcher
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ablearcher » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:12 am

I'm into it! Seems like a sweet little patch that would be great to take live or on travel.

Been doing something kinda similar lately with a benjolin, maths, uvca ii, uvcf, and synthrotek power stuck in an old mic box.

traditional synth voices aren't so interesting to me anymore, but the full modular setup needs to stay at home (for me). This seems like a good middle ground, and cheaper than any interesting combination of modules I can think of, half the price of the setup I mentioned above.

orangehexagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by orangehexagon » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:33 am

junklight wrote:
L.C.O. wrote:
well then, that's that.

funny since Tony calls it a module in the Sonic state video!

Going to try and resist this one & hoping they bring out some of those new circuits in separate modules. The Tempi on the other hand is just what I'm looking for I think .....

Yes it is a module. A synth module... as in it's not a keyboard synthesizer.

Eurorack module? No. Synth module? Yes.

Return to “General Gear”