MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Make Noise 0 Coast
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 51, 52, 53  Next [all]
Author Make Noise 0 Coast
makenoise
There is 3 regulators actually. You mentioned the +12VDC regulator. There is also one for -12VDC and +5VDC.

It is designed to run from about 320mA at +15VDC. If you run it at +12VDC it will consume around 400mA and there will be greater demand on power up as you would be powering an entire additional power supply circuit, not a module.

Running from +12VDC there will be less noise immunity but since most euro rack power supplies are pretty quiet, you will likely not experience any problems. If your euro rack supply is noisy or out of spec you could have trouble.

The process of racking the 0-COAST is not for the electrically and mechanically challenged or for people that have been drinking heavily Guinness ftw! therefore I cannot and will not officially condone it in any way. I will however be glad to offer my knowledge as a fellow modular synth enthusiast screaming goo yo

The reason we do not market the 0-COAST as a module is because it is not a module. Make Noise already has a whole line of modules! Woggle Bug! Woggle Bug

robot909 wrote:
OK, After months of speculation...

Finally received my unit.

Had to try it.

Fits and works off euro power. (with slight soldering) The main board runs on 12v anyways via a KA78R12 voltage regulator.

VortexRanger
I helped Tony put together the "no-coast" presentation for Moogfest (later filmed at Continuucon), and one thing we frequently found during research is that the similarities greatly outweighed the differences. In fact that once you looked closely the distinction breaks down very quickly. An example is Patrick Gleeson, from the West Coast school, playing the "East Coast" Arp in a band with Herbie Hancock on Sextant, but in a "West Coast" style, which seemed to lead directly to Hancock playing his Arp in an "East Coast" style on Head Hunters... etc.

But this has has all been discussed many times over on this forum. In many ways it is more a fun thought experiment. Modern modular synthesis has been disconnected from the coast for awhile now, thanks to pioneers like Grant Richter (and Tony!). I think there are many synth-heads out there who have never even heard of this distinction prior to the release of the 0-Coast, because West Coast has been confined almost entirely to modular for 50 years.

makenoise wrote:
I discussed "no coast synthesis" with Sonic Nick quite a bit as he was creating this video.

I did not invent no-coast synthesis, I merely coined the term for what I was seeing happening in the world of eurorack modular systems for the past few years. People have been building eurorack systems, and even designing modules, that cross pollinate the synthesis techniques pioneered on the East and West Coasts! This seems to be a rather recent development. The first person I ever saw doing "no-coast synthesis" was Grant Richter with his Boogie Filter which used the Vactrol Based LPG circuit to implement a 24db Low Pass Filter. Grant's approach inspired me to design a Low Pass Gate (west coast synthesis element) using a fast transistor based VCA (East Coast circuit topology) so it could be driven with the highly East Coast ADSR synthesis element.

I guess some folks feel that because the 0-COAST does not have a 24db Low Pass Filter that the East Coast is not properly represented within the 0-COAST. That they are concerned with either coast being properly represented shows a lack of understanding of what no coast synthesis truly is... it is not about combining all the elements of these classic, pioneering synthesizer designers (Buchla, Serge, Moog and others), or being able to re-create those classic sounds, but rather it is about selecting some key elements from each, and combining them in a new way, cross pollinating, to create new sounds. It could be more easily compared to No-Wave than Jazz Fusion The Chewbacca Defense w00t

To me the MAJOR difference in the West and East Coast instruments is in how they were played. The West Coast instrument was played largely with sequencers and touch controllers, while the East Coast instrument used the traditional manual organ style keyboard, and the key circuit in making the organ manual keyboard work well with the East Coast Synthesis engine was the ADSR, not the Low Pass Filter. Without an ADSR a MiniMoog would have been quite a different instrument, perhaps not even so popular!

I believe the use of the organ style manual keyboard is also largely responsible for putting the Moog synthesisizer in front of millions of people as Rock and Pop stars used it on stage along side their Hammond B3, Wurlitzer and Rhodes Pianos and other keyboards. Meanwhile the Buchla instrument remained largely hidden in academic music studios.

My words here are NOT the final history of these great synthesis revolutions! These are merely my interpretations of what I have read and experienced.

If you are interested you could get more detail on all of this in the talk I gave at Continuucon this yr:

bartleby wrote:
kwil wrote:
Sonic state now have a pretty informative review up.

yes, it is informative, as usual. excellent overview of the 0-coast's many functions and capabilities. it does seem to contain some errors, though (no, the midi adapter is not compatible with arturia's standard, but with korg's instead. and no, i wouldn't call this a 'fully modular synth' even though it has plenty of eurorack-compatible patch points; but the multiplier is hardwired and doesn't have any audio i/o patch points, for example).

i completely agree with nick's assessment that this synth is pretty west-coasty overall, rather than being 'coast agnostic' as its name suggests. smile

i love this synth!
makenoise
Walker added many excellent points to that talk. He picked all of the East Coast examples, and it was his discovery of the Herbie Hancock piece that convinced me that the coastal lines were being blurred all the way back in the 70's.

I still feel what is happening right now is larger in scope though. I never thought I would see so many people interested in this topic!

T

VortexRanger wrote:
I helped Tony put together the "no-coast" presentation for Moogfest (later filmed at Continuucon), and one thing we frequently found during research is that the similarities greatly outweighed the differences. In fact that once you looked closely the distinction breaks down very quickly. An example is Patrick Gleeson, from the West Coast school, playing the "East Coast" Arp in a band with Herbie Hancock on Sextant, but in a "West Coast" style, which seemed to lead directly to Hancock playing his Arp in an "East Coast" style on Head Hunters... etc.

But this has has all been discussed many times over on this forum. In many ways it is more a fun thought experiment. Modern modular synthesis has been disconnected from the coast for awhile now, thanks to pioneers like Grant Richter (and Tony!). I think there are many synth-heads out there who have never even heard of this distinction prior to the release of the 0-Coast, because West Coast has been confined almost entirely to modular for 50 years.

makenoise wrote:
I discussed "no coast synthesis" with Sonic Nick quite a bit as he was creating this video.

I did not invent no-coast synthesis, I merely coined the term for what I was seeing happening in the world of eurorack modular systems for the past few years. People have been building eurorack systems, and even designing modules, that cross pollinate the synthesis techniques pioneered on the East and West Coasts! This seems to be a rather recent development. The first person I ever saw doing "no-coast synthesis" was Grant Richter with his Boogie Filter which used the Vactrol Based LPG circuit to implement a 24db Low Pass Filter. Grant's approach inspired me to design a Low Pass Gate (west coast synthesis element) using a fast transistor based VCA (East Coast circuit topology) so it could be driven with the highly East Coast ADSR synthesis element.

I guess some folks feel that because the 0-COAST does not have a 24db Low Pass Filter that the East Coast is not properly represented within the 0-COAST. That they are concerned with either coast being properly represented shows a lack of understanding of what no coast synthesis truly is... it is not about combining all the elements of these classic, pioneering synthesizer designers (Buchla, Serge, Moog and others), or being able to re-create those classic sounds, but rather it is about selecting some key elements from each, and combining them in a new way, cross pollinating, to create new sounds. It could be more easily compared to No-Wave than Jazz Fusion The Chewbacca Defense w00t

To me the MAJOR difference in the West and East Coast instruments is in how they were played. The West Coast instrument was played largely with sequencers and touch controllers, while the East Coast instrument used the traditional manual organ style keyboard, and the key circuit in making the organ manual keyboard work well with the East Coast Synthesis engine was the ADSR, not the Low Pass Filter. Without an ADSR a MiniMoog would have been quite a different instrument, perhaps not even so popular!

I believe the use of the organ style manual keyboard is also largely responsible for putting the Moog synthesisizer in front of millions of people as Rock and Pop stars used it on stage along side their Hammond B3, Wurlitzer and Rhodes Pianos and other keyboards. Meanwhile the Buchla instrument remained largely hidden in academic music studios.

My words here are NOT the final history of these great synthesis revolutions! These are merely my interpretations of what I have read and experienced.

If you are interested you could get more detail on all of this in the talk I gave at Continuucon this yr:

bartleby wrote:
kwil wrote:
Sonic state now have a pretty informative review up.

yes, it is informative, as usual. excellent overview of the 0-coast's many functions and capabilities. it does seem to contain some errors, though (no, the midi adapter is not compatible with arturia's standard, but with korg's instead. and no, i wouldn't call this a 'fully modular synth' even though it has plenty of eurorack-compatible patch points; but the multiplier is hardwired and doesn't have any audio i/o patch points, for example).

i completely agree with nick's assessment that this synth is pretty west-coasty overall, rather than being 'coast agnostic' as its name suggests. smile

i love this synth!
anselmi
makenoise wrote:
It is Exponential, but not trimmed to 1V/ Octave.

HOWEVER!

If you run the MIDI Calibration routine (Program Page 7) you can calibrate MIDI_B CV to drive the TIME CV IN for the SLOPE circuit and SLOPE will track about 5 octaves very nicely when controlled via MIDI.

We will create a video that shows this very soon.

T

anselmi wrote:
do you know if the TIME input of the SLOPE section is calibrated to 1v/oct?

awesome!
thanks Tony!
___tomk
wiggler81929 wrote:
___tomk wrote:
Awesome. My question for those who wish it came euro-ready is, if space for expansion is a commodity, why fill it with a unit that has its own enclosure? I suppose having the option to do so like the m32 is the obvious answer...

That is an obvious answer, but also read two posts above yours. Space and cash are precious, and this thing is cheaper and takes up less HP than separate modules to perform the same functions. If you're using it with an existing modular setup, you can simplify by packing just one case and power supply, with the 0-Coast racked in it.

HP issue is recognized here. IMO and experience of owning the 0-coast briefly, the unit is small/portable enough that carrying it as an extra to a euro setup didn't concern me. More convenient to rack it if you have the space? Sure. Seems like MN is doing euro-goers a favor by making this standalone, but those who 100% will not check this unit out b/c it is standalone is silly to me.

Just my two cents! thumbs up
jdkee
Mine is paired up with a SH-101 that acts as a keyboard controller and a sequencer. To make it truly portable, I may mod a 4s (14.8v) LiPo battery to provide power to the no-coast (the 101 runs off of C-cells). Add a pair of headphones and a battery powered mixer/recorder like a small Zoom and away we go.

o-coast is a fun little box. This is fun!
Spectromat
I am really interested in the potential of battery power for the 0-coast hyper
bartleby
makenoise wrote:
There is 3 regulators actually. You mentioned the +12VDC regulator. There is also one for -12VDC and +5VDC.

so, if you want to run this on a eurorack psu, does this mean that you better apply +12v, -12v, and +5v respectively to the outputs of those 3 regulators, rather than just connecting the +15v input to +12v as suggestet by robot909?
Hovercraft
Spectromat wrote:

Would love to see Make Noise release a combination lithium ion battery pack/sequencer in the same case as the 0-coast.
machetemirage
I'd like to see makenoise release a looping wavetable envelope with a voltage output mapped to a spectrograph of hologram Tupac
dumaisaudio
Anyone know of places that have these in stock?
___tomk
Spectromat wrote:

Same. Will be cool to see what people end up doing with it unhinged and out in the wild.
makenoise
No. I was only clarifying the situation so folks could understand what they are doing when the connect +12V from their euro power supply to the +15VDC power inlet on the 0-COAST. The way robot909 did it is the only way to hack it Eel Power FTW!

T

bartleby wrote:
makenoise wrote:

so, if you want to run this on a eurorack psu, does this mean that you better apply +12v, -12v, and +5v respectively to the outputs of those 3 regulators, rather than just connecting the +15v input to +12v as suggestet by robot909?
bartleby
makenoise wrote:
No. I was only clarifying the situation so folks could understand what they are doing when the connect +12V from their euro power supply to the +15VDC power inlet on the 0-COAST. The way robot909 did it is the only way to hack it

ah, i see. thanks for clarifying your clarification! smile thumbs up
blooma116
machetemirage wrote:
I'd like to see makenoise release a looping wavetable envelope with a voltage output mapped to a spectrograph of hologram Tupac

+1
drant
Put in an order for one after deciding I can sell enough stuff to fund it hmmm..... . Now I just hope I can still be part of the batch making it to europe soon having decided so late . hyper
drowld
drant wrote:
Put in an order for one after deciding I can sell enough stuff to fund it hmmm..... . Now I just hope I can still be part of the batch making it to europe soon having decided so late . hyper

it's been close to three weeks now and still no unit delivered to my local shawp. Feelsbadman.rar

Still it's all worth the wait love
drant
drowld wrote:
drant wrote:

it's been close to three weeks now and still no unit delivered to my local shawp. Feelsbadman.rar

Still it's all worth the wait love

Yeah I was told it would take two or three weeks still until they even know if they'll have enough stock. So I'm not holding my breath but at the same time I'm quite impatient.
Phase47
We started a 0-Coast FB group for tips and stuff last weekend. It's a closed group, but all are welcome. Already > 100 members.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/496798493855758/
justscratch
dumaisaudio wrote:

one on ebay
makenoise
Hello, we just created a NEW revision ‪0-COAST‬ MANUAL that improves descriptions of program pages, adds patch ideas from Walker & Tony and a blank patch sheet. Get it here:

http://www.makenoisemusic.com/co…/manuals/0-coast_manual.pdf
Snail
jido_genshi wrote:
Had to share this with you all... just received the Retro Mechanical Labs "Electron Fuzz Custom" pedal, and paired up with the Make Noise 0-Coast really makes for a killer combination! This was 5 minutes after unboxing the Electron Fuzz... the second part is the best to me, at around the 2:43 mark.

Awesome -- sounds super cool. Can hear a track of that with some heavy nice drums alongside it...
robot909
On page 7, this label is missing on the <Figure 7: Panel Controls>

29. Multiply: Activity Window <orange>

Just wanted to let you know. I'm appreciating the time to read the manual carefully, because you put a a great effort into making it.

Thanks!

Edit: added the link to the official PDF.

http://www.makenoisemusic.com/content/manuals/0-coast_manual.pdf

makenoise wrote:
Hello, we just created a NEW revision ‪0-COAST‬ MANUAL that improves descriptions of program pages, adds patch ideas from Walker & Tony and a blank patch sheet. Get it here:

http://www.makenoisemusic.com/co…/manuals/0-coast_manual.pdf
dumaisaudio
justscratch wrote:
dumaisaudio wrote:

one on ebay

I saw they had a few up, but missed out. They put one back up the other night and I jumped on it. Should arrive next Wednesday.
evilspock
Is there a production setback Make Noise? I preordered one of these things over a month ago from one of your LA distributors and there is no hint in sight of these things being in stock any time soon.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 51, 52, 53  Next [all]
Page 18 of 53