MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Dave Smith & Tom Oberheim OB-6
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next [all]
Author Dave Smith & Tom Oberheim OB-6
Jason Brock
6 voice poly with Tom's state-variable filters. nanners

Norgatron
"The OB-6 is a once-in-a-lifetime collaboration between two of the most influential synth designers in history — Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim. It’s an all-analog, 6-voice poly synth with voltage-controlled oscillators, a state-variable filter, and voltage-controlled amplifiers, inspired by Tom’s original SEM design — the bedrock of his legendary 4-voice and 8-voice synthesizers.

Manufactured and sold by Dave Smith Instruments, the OB-6 features six discrete analog voices with two oscillators (plus sub oscillator) per voice, continuously variable waveshapes with triangle, sawtooth, and variable-width pulse waves, X-mod with 2 sources and 5 destination, a 64-step polyphonic step sequencer, dual digital effects that include faithful recreations of Tom’s acclaimed phase shifter and ring modulator, a full-featured arpeggiator, and a powerful, in-your-face, sonic signature like no other instrument.

This analog powerhouse is packed into a four-octave, semi-weighted keyboard with velocity and channel aftertouch, making it perfect for stage or studio."
Hirsbro
have to raise my credit sad banana Dead Banana
DiscoDevil
Rack or desktop version please!
leeski
hihi hoax shirley
Knarzwaltz
Why would Dave want a synth that competes with the Prophet 6… I don't believe it… really stupid if true.
richie
£2,249 so comparable to the RRP of the Prophet 6, yeh is strange to compete with your own product, guess the specs and sound are very different.
Jason Brock
Knarzwaltz wrote:
Why would Dave want a synth that competes with the Prophet 6… I don't believe it… really stupid if true.

Pure speculation on my part, but that's what the internet is for, right?

Dave and Tom seem to be good friends. My guess is that Tom wanted to produce a poly like this but didn't have the manufacturing resources. DSI does have those resources. So he probably approached Dave with the idea to collaborate. And if it happened that way I'm sure DSI would get a cut of the sales. Buy a P6 or OB-6, and either way DSI is making money.

I also wouldn't worry about "competing" products if I were Dave, since there are plenty of people out there who seem to own a lot of his synths, even some who have one of each probably. Add this to the list.
playrecords
The architecture seems similar in design on paper so I was thinking rather than one flagship swallowing the other whilst the P6 is obviously selling well, imagine if they can be chained like 2 p6s but maybe have an input on the OB for the different flavour filter and fx. smile probably dreaming to far into it, but that would be sweet.

Can't wait for a look and listen.
Sir Ruff
Wow, this is definitely coming out of left-field! But where's a pic?!

In a perfect world, DSI has co-opted the new SEM oscs and filter into a sort of new OB-X/4-voice hybrid. --> I'm sold.

In a realistic world, this is the Prophet-6 with some tweaks.
Yeggman
Sir Ruff wrote:

In a perfect world, DSI has co-opted the new SEM oscs and filter into a sort of new OB-X/4-voice hybrid. --> I'm sold.

Would buy

Sir Ruff wrote:

Prophet 6 with SEM filters?? would still buy

w00t
Sir Ruff
Yeggman wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:

Would buy

Sir Ruff wrote:

Prophet 6 with SEM filters?? would still buy

w00t

haha, fair enough:)
richie
http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/product/ob-6/

pownie
Looks sexy! love

Yeggman
so amazing
Jack Gull
Quote:
3k euros

aaaaaaaaaaand back to waiting for the minilogue to be available in your country
Dead Banana
A Terre
Sounds amazing, but I wouldn't be able to afford it for a very very long time.
sloth713
This OB-6 demo sounds awesome and like a completely different beast than the Prophet 6

[s]https://soundcloud.com/davesmithinstruments/ob-6-filter-delight[/s]
Jack Gull
i don't know. after the first glance it seems to be so limited, like rebuilding a clone of an old synth..
wait it's just like that. a replica of the past

which is still cool because i've always wanted to play rush all night long with an ob

but i feel myself more attracted to the minilogue

but then again.. massive... oberheim.... WITCH HUNT
Dead Banana
leeski
hihi a new xpanda
sloth713
haha, who ever though we would see the day were we now have to deal with the agony of choice for affordable analog polysynths. Even the current high end analog polysynths are a fraction of the price of what something similar in the 80's would cost.
bleeds_on_keys
Jack Gull
THE CAMERA EYE eyes...
drowld
That's fucked up.
The filter sound so good
n e e t life

MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING
oinkbanana

I need this.
GovernorSilver
oinkbanana wrote:

I need this.

Quoted just to fix the link.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next [all]
Page 1 of 20