MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

new intellijel system + modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author new intellijel system + modules
taylor12k
holy cow. move over BEMI easel. i claim first in line!!!

https://www.facebook.com/Intellijel/photos/a.282715905177742.69181.159 216090861058/932523056863687/?type=3&permPage=1

so beautiful.

new:

BOOMBOX
JELLYSQUASHER (?)
RAINMAKER (?)
Hi5
Check https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=152945

Jellysquasher is a comp
Rainmaker is a 16 step spectral processor/resonator
Tonescape
Interesting, did not expect to see a compressor from Intellijel.

Rainmaker looks cool too, but takes up a lot of HP. Not a lot of info yet of course, but a spectral rhythm delay and comb resonator must be a cool thing.
echoplex
Hi5 wrote:

Jellysquasher is a comp

what exactly can I imagine under a 16 step spectral processor/comb resonator?
qu.one
taylor12k wrote:
holy cow. move over BEMI easel....

no tactile control ≠ easel
taylor12k
yes, good point.

qu.one wrote:
taylor12k wrote:

clarke68
Nice!

I didn't know about the 1U modules. Very cool to see that getting adopted as a standard. I wonder if they'll have more success with the Boombox than Critter & Guitari had with the IIO?
guillaume
clarke68 wrote:
Nice!

I didn't know about the 1U modules. Very cool to see that getting adopted as a standard. I wonder if they'll have more success with the Boombox than Critter & Guitari had with the IIO?

Wonder why C&G didn't get much success with the IIO. I have one that I really like, and ended up buying a 2nd one when they halved its price last month.
MATSmile
echoplex wrote:
Hi5 wrote:

Jellysquasher is a comp

what exactly can I imagine under a 16 step spectral processor/comb resonator?

Isn't it something similar to comb filter ?
Similar to Buchla 296
GryphonP3
MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING RAINMAKER MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING

That thing looks absolutely absurd. Looks like 16 taps of clockable delay+pitch shift + comb resonator with CV over everything and tons of mod configurations. Looks more like a eurorack eventide box than anything.
eBerkhout
Those cases! In need of expansion room... Lookin' like a good option applause
clarke68
guillaume wrote:
Wonder why C&G didn't get much success with the IIO.

It's an interesting question. I thought it was a great idea for a module...that I couldn't -- quite -- justify the rack space for.

I guess a lot of people already have their monitoring figured out, and the additional convenience/portability of a built-in speaker just didn't call to them, even at $50.
clarke68
GryphonP3 wrote:
MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING RAINMAKER MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING

That thing looks absolutely absurd.

No kidding!

Too much of a studio tool than an instrument for me, but I'm sure plenty of people here will lust like crazy after that thing.
Hi5
qu.one wrote:
taylor12k wrote:

The midi interface built into the case and top tile means an easy add of any interface you'd like.

Not to compare but at least in the Euro world I'd venture to say that Intellijel is becoming the strongest single mfg. They have the most complete range as far as general utility modules goes and plenty of esoteric/unique offerings. Not quite to Doepfer level but getting real close.
BugBrand
clarke68 wrote:
guillaume wrote:
Wonder why C&G didn't get much success with the IIO.

It's an interesting question. I thought it was a great idea for a module...that I couldn't -- quite -- justify the rack space for.

I guess a lot of people already have their monitoring figured out, and the additional convenience/portability of a built-in speaker just didn't call to them, even at $50.

Guessing that the C&G was a fairly regular Amp (hence 750mA max draw) and could imagine that Intellijel may have gone with a modern class D [I know very little, but *think* that'd be much lower current draw - important in modular land]
strangeowl
Compressor and resonator / delay both mono?

Or are they stereo? Pic is a bit fuzzy smile
Hi5
strangeowl wrote:

Resonator is stereo
Comp looks mono
L.C.O.
Hi5 wrote:
strangeowl wrote:

Resonator is stereo
Comp looks mono

yeah: wish the compressor was stereo.
listentoaheartbeat
clarke68 wrote:
GryphonP3 wrote:

No kidding!

Too much of a studio tool than an instrument for me, but I'm sure plenty of people here will lust like crazy after that thing.

Yeah, looks like everything I do not want my modular synth to be.
VanEck
listentoaheartbeat wrote:

That's kinda how I felt about the Shapeshifter and ended up parting with it. It's an amazing OSC, no question. The interface, menu diving, presets, etc just isn't what I want out of my modular though. Just looking at the panel of Rainmaker has me thinking the same thing, regardless of how amazing it sounds.
orangehexagon
clarke68 wrote:
GryphonP3 wrote:

No kidding!

genuinely curious why... care to explain?
clarke68
orangehexagon wrote:
clarke68 wrote:

It just doesn't look playable. It looks like something that you'd work with at length to get a setting that you like (and it probably allows you to save the setting) and then let it do it's thing in your patch/track/composition/etc. Plenty of people like to work that way...nothing wrong with that...it's just not the way I use my modular.

For clarity, this is how I use my modular:

L.C.O.
clarke68 wrote:
orangehexagon wrote:
clarke68 wrote:

It just doesn't look playable. It looks like something that you'd work with at length to get a setting that you like (and it probably allows you to save the setting) and then let it do it's thing in your patch/track/composition/etc. Plenty of people like to work that way...nothing wrong with that...it's just not the way I use my modular.

The performance in the video is super cool!
Props!
Hi5
clarke68 wrote:

Always fun to play with Jacob!
Geaux
Anyone know if all the new cases Intellijel revealed earlier will have the midi in ont he sides so that the 1U midi tile can be used or if its only on the case used?
iceeslunk
that's how i imagine yoko ono would play modular, if she had one cool
richie
L.C.O.
richie wrote:

Can not hear squat in this...

but prices. well, I heard that!

Dead Banana
iceeslunk
wowwww that rainmaker sounds amazing (edit: yeah, what ^ he said, from what i CAN hear)....i might have to start robbing banks to feed my gear addiction Sniper
listentoaheartbeat
orangehexagon wrote:
clarke68 wrote:
GryphonP3 wrote:

No kidding!

For me, the beauty of modular synthesis is that complexity arises from combining relatively simple functional building blocks in an intuitive and playful manner. I don't want to be absorbed by a single module – what I value is the physicality of connecting modules to create a complex music system. I think these new super-modules induce a linear patching style and reduce the modular aspect to modulation routing. After all, there is only so much complexity one can cope with when writing or performing music.
Demi Jon
Very impressed with the new Intellijel Empire, and Danjel as always comes across as a very lovely guy eh.
taylor12k
can anyone confirm if the modules are white or silver?

would love for them to be silver, would make building a system with my current ATLANTIS + METRO a bit easier!

tho the white is very beautifully Dieter Rams-ian
Demi Jon
They look silver to me in the vid.
jjclark
The rainmaker is eminently playable and tweakable with voltage control over almost everything. It will be good in the club (are you listening RIchard Devine) and in the studio.

I have put up a couple of demos on my soundcloud. The first is some Krell, where I was just tweaking away with the Rainmaker and a Cyclebox. The second is multitracked showing off a bit the resonator. It can do a lot more.

This is just a taste though! You thought the Shapeshifter was deep...

[s]http://soundcloud.com/cylonix/rainmaker-krell[/s]

[s]http://soundcloud.com/cylonix/rainmaker-segovia-remembranza[/s]
Yeggman
clarke68 wrote:

That's how I use my clarinet!
ES
I like the look of that compressor..
Diabolik!
Geaux wrote:
Anyone know if all the new cases Intellijel revealed earlier will have the midi in ont he sides so that the 1U midi tile can be used or if its only on the case used?

i just got the 4U 104 HP case in today, and there is nothing like that on it. it must just be for the larger case.
exper
jjclark wrote:
The rainmaker is eminently playable and tweakable with voltage control over almost everything. It will be good in the club (are you listening RIchard Devine) and in the studio.

I have put up a couple of demos on my soundcloud. The first is some Krell, where I was just tweaking away with the Rainmaker and a Cyclebox. The second is multitracked showing off a bit the resonator. It can do a lot more.

Wow. we're not worthy seriously can't wait for one of these.
Geaux
Diabolik! wrote:
Geaux wrote:

i just got the 4U 104 HP case in today, and there is nothing like that on it. it must just be for the larger case.

Damn, I wonder if we will see the midi in as a seperate 1u to recreate the umidi in the smaller cases. Inputs, outputs, attenuators multi logic and mixers are all perfect for that size.
Demi Jon
kisielk
Geaux wrote:
Diabolik! wrote:
Geaux wrote:

Damn, I wonder if we will see the midi in as a seperate 1u to recreate the umidi in the smaller cases. Inputs, outputs, attenuators multi logic and mixers are all perfect for that size.

There is a small tile with a DIN and USB connector for use on the 4U cases.
geremyf
Where can I preorder rainmaker and by the cases?
Demi Jon
cannonball swandive
Damn! Can't wait for a proper demo video of the Rainmaker.
Diabolik!
Geaux wrote:
Diabolik! wrote:
Geaux wrote:

i hope so. i got mine a little early, the 1 U modules and the 1 U blanks weren't ready yet when i ordered. hoping for some weird stuff in 1 U as well.

here's some crappy pics:

Diabolik!
also, tapped screw strips. no sliding nuts.
sempervirent
These new modules look great. I don't mind some menu-diving and digital UI paradigm shifting, one knob per function is only going to take you so far.

In the photo posted to Facebook I noticed some subtle design changes on the panels too, larger titles at the top (even on existing modules), slightly different graphical treatments in a few places, and the new logo. Bit of a branding realignment.

Nice work Danjel and team.
kisielk
sempervirent wrote:
These new modules look great. I don't mind some menu-diving and digital UI paradigm shifting, one knob per function is only going to take you so far.

In the photo posted to Facebook I noticed some subtle design changes on the panels too, larger titles at the top (even on existing modules), slightly different graphical treatments in a few places, and the new logo. Bit of a branding realignment.

Nice work Danjel and team.

With the exception of a couple of lesser-used parameters it's one button per function and then the encoder to change, so there's not much menu diving. That's why there's so many buttons smile
qu.one
Hi5 wrote:
The midi interface built into the case and top tile means an easy add of any interface you'd like.

totally understood, but an easel requires nothing from the outside world. i was being black and white with a comparison.
Futuresound
Demi Jon wrote:

Want.

Great name too. Who wouldn't want a jellysquasher in their rack?
Futuresound
double
Geaux
Kisielk, any word on if the input half of uMidi will be available in 1U?
kisielk
Geaux wrote:

Yes. You can see it in some of the shots of the 7U case. For the 4U cases it's the same but with an additional tile for the jacks. In the 7U there's a ribbon that just goes to the rear jacks.
whitewulfe
That Jellysquisher sound absolutely delicious!
Dcramer
Demi Jon wrote:

I love NAMM, there's always that guy back there somewhere with the Chinese trumpet...
w00t "Maria, I just met a girl named, Maria"
Trebbers
Any info on the pricing of the cases?
tauburn
the hp size of that speaker is preposterous.
asymptote
tauburn wrote:

I agree. I don't see the appeal of allotting precious rack space to a large speaker module.
spacenoodle
asymptote wrote:
tauburn wrote:

I agree. I don't see the appeal of allotting precious rack space to a large speaker module.

We assume it's only a large speaker module. But let's hold our judgement until they announce all the features.
MATSmile
jjclark wrote:

JJClark, Do you know how much I love you man? This is, fucking INSANE MY ASS IS BLEEDING
Geaux
kisielk wrote:
Geaux wrote:

Yes. You can see it in some of the shots of the 7U case. For the 4U cases it's the same but with an additional tile for the jacks. In the 7U there's a ribbon that just goes to the rear jacks.
Awesome, thanks for the quick reply!

Ah no wonder you were talking to me like I missed something. I completely missed your initial reply d'oh!
jjclark
Another quick Rainmaker demo, this one showing off the pitch shifters (there are 18 of them on the Rainmaker). Don't play this song late at night, because its a little creepy.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/cylonix/row-row-row-your-raindelay[/s]

Note: raindelay was the initial codename for the module when we were developing it. This demo is almost a year old and done on an early prototype.
dumbledog
Diabolik! wrote:

i hope so. i got mine a little early, the 1 U modules and the 1 U blanks weren't ready yet when i ordered. hoping for some weird stuff in 1 U as well.

here's some crappy pics:

Any chance you could measure the spacing between the 1u rails, and get a pic of the tile power connector? It was said in the main NAMM thread that Intellijel's 1U tiles are incompatible with Pulp Logic and presumably other and I'd like to confirm.

Edit: for reference, the holes for the blank tile I got with a PL lunchbox are around 37-38mm apart.
loachhat
I guess jury's out until there are some hands/ears-on impressions but that's a really decent price for a compressor that full-featured... in the same price range as the FMR stuff, etc. but with a bunch of modular bells and whistles.

Kind of a drag there's not at least linked stereo, but w/e.
Diabolik!

dumbledog
Yeah hard to tell from the angle. For reference here's PL's spec:
asymptote
spacenoodle wrote:
asymptote wrote:
tauburn wrote:

We assume it's only a large speaker module. But let's hold our judgement until they announce all the features.

I dunno. Based on the first video posted on p.2, it seems pretty clear that it's just a speaker. And $140.

But the more I think about, the more I feel like it would be awesome to slap two of these into a battery powered 7U Intellijel case, prop it on my shoulder, and strut down the street all 80s style. All that would be missing is a cassette tape module under full cv control.
joem
asymptote wrote:
spacenoodle wrote:
asymptote wrote:
tauburn wrote:

I dunno. Based on the first video posted on p.2, it seems pretty clear that it's just a speaker. And $140.

But the more I think about, the more I feel like it would be awesome to slap two of these into a battery powered 7U Intellijel case, prop it on my shoulder, and strut down the street all 80s style. All that would be missing is a cassette tape module under full cv control.

With the size that speaker is, it has the potential to sound pretty decent. If I had the HP to spare, I'd love that. (Maybe in the next case, then....)
Umcorps
[quote="Diabolik!"]

Is the Intellijel case deep enough to hold that Disting?
scottmoon
dumbledog wrote:
Any chance you could measure the spacing between the 1u rails, and get a pic of the tile power connector? It was said in the main NAMM thread that Intellijel's 1U tiles are incompatible with Pulp Logic and presumably other and I'd like to confirm.

Edit: for reference, the holes for the blank tile I got with a PL lunchbox are around 37-38mm apart.

I think the spacing problem has more to do with the rails used. Pulp Logic tiles only work with Vector Rails. I think the raised lip on these would get in the way. Hard to to tell from the photos I've seen.
SamUK
Does anyone know what the maximum delay time is on the Rainmaker? Also how many user presets?
nicdro
SamUK wrote:
Does anyone know what the maximum delay time is on the Rainmaker? Also how many user presets?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niXDjEsOXuI
"20 seconds delay"
Natsche
scottmoon wrote:
Pulp Logic tiles only work with Vector Rails. .

I'm not 100% sure of what I'm going to say because I wasn't able to try it. But during my research on 1U modules and rails, I found http://clicksclocks.de/ who sells 1U frames and I asked him few questions about 1U modules with his frames, especially Pulplogic one.

For reference, his rails also have a raised lip:

I'll quote him:
Quote:

The main problem is the PCB height, which is defined with 28.7 mm. If they [PulpLogic] would have said 25 mm it would work with all rails types. This is why I think it is a misconception.

My 4U frames are slightly higher (181 mm, which doesn't make them exact 4U). The 1U part is 28.3 mm inner height, and it can be, that some PCBs are to big. So far just a few customers had problems. Some of them sanded the PCBs to fit them it.

So I concluded that some 1U modules can fit with other rails, I asked PulpLogic about sanding the PCBs a bit:

Quote:
For the most part, all the tiles use the 1.130" height standard. You could probably file the tiles down 0.010" on each side without doing any damage, but I shouldn't recommend that.

Yeah, sanding down a module does not really make it works with other rails, but it could be a solution.

Also something important about Pulplogic modules is that they are only compatible (again, not tested) with M2.5 Hardware. Source: http://pulplogic.com/1u_tiles/

So It's just speculation at the moment. What I wanted to say with this post was that 1U tiles aren't so simple and we can only wait to have to have some official infos about measurement and compatibility but let's just hope that Intellijel try to use some standards that fit with already existing 1U row.
SamUK
nicdro wrote:
SamUK wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niXDjEsOXuI
"20 seconds delay"

Thanks!
cane creek
The Jellysquasher caught my Eye/Ears, just curious if its uses That4301 ?
rapdotcom
Wow rainmaker looks very fun.
hdd
that namm very frustrating All my gas goes for 3 different delay module. Can't wait to hear the rainmaker
lud
hdd wrote:
that namm very frustrating All my gas goes for 3 different delay module. Can't wait to hear the rainmaker

What are the other delays?
insula
hdd wrote:

insane very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating

this start to be unhealthy MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING

run out of money in 3...2....1.. Dead Banana
kao:be.
lud wrote:
hdd wrote:

the 4ms and the styrmon ones I guess... and we still haven't seen whether TipTop is showing off their long awaited Serge WAD clone smile
insula
kao:be. wrote:
lud wrote:
hdd wrote:

the 4ms and the styrmon ones I guess... and we still haven't seen whether TipTop is showing off their long awaited Serge WAD clone smile

4ms, intellijel, strymon and audio damage (only 6hp) woah woah woah
taylor12k
got word from danjel on twitter that the faceplates are indeed different:

intellijel: @taylordeupree same kind of metal that mutable also uses. it has a whiter appearance but is still metallic.

taylor12k wrote:
can anyone confirm if the modules are white or silver?

would love for them to be silver, would make building a system with my current ATLANTIS + METRO a bit easier!

tho the white is very beautifully Dieter Rams-ian
mudlogger
Rainmaker seems like a sound designers dream module. Looking at the specs, I get the impression that demos don't come close to the depth of sounds that this is capable of. This looks to me, like a gamechanger module. I also think its just the menu diving that could put people off.
botou
jjclark wrote:

Awesome demos ! Highly considering a rainmaker
damase
That jellysquasher... Sounds so good...
Im intruiged by the rainmaker too, cant wait to see more
TechnoPrisoner
Do you get the feeling that Rainmaker is inspired by Clouds ?
TheBradster
Gotta say it's the new cases that have me most excited. Don't suppose anyone has any prices on them yet? Checked a number of dealers, nothing posted yet.
jjclark
TechnoPrisoner wrote:

No, I've been working on these ideas since 2012. By the time Clouds appeared our prototype was more or less where it is now.

But the Strymon Timeline and the SoundToys EchoBoy were definite inspirations. It is cool to see the Strymon euro modules.
xonetacular
taylor12k wrote:

intellijel: @taylordeupree same kind of metal that mutable also uses. it has a whiter appearance but is still metallic.

dumb change, what was wrong with the old finish?
jjclark
Here's a quick rundown of the features/specs of the Rainmaker:

• Stereo delay line with 16-taps
• Each of the 16 taps has its own set of audio processors:
o 2nd order resonant multi-mode filter (LP,BP,HP) with adjustable cutoff frequency and resonance
o Level and Balance setting, with quick mute capabillity
o +/- 1 octave granular pitch shifter (1,2 or 4 grains with adjustable grain size)
• Delay line feedback can be taken from any of the 16 taps (pre-filter) or from the sum of the 16 taps (post-filter)
• Delay line feedback has its own pitch shifter and 1st-order tone filter
• Global delay time can be set either by manual entry with the encoder, or by an external clock (with adjustable clock divider), or by tap tempo button.
• Individual tap delays are set according to one of 16 preset patterns (grooves)
• Global delay time modulation by an LFO with 8 selectable waveforms
• Delay times range from 0.1 millisecond to 20 seconds.
• Delay buffer freeze and reverse
• Taps can be piled on top of each other to give complex filtering and chord effects
• Global pitch shift control which transposes the delay line output by +/- 1 octave

• Stereo multi-tap comb resonator
• Comb can have between 1 and 64 taps allowing for complex resonances
• Three different nonlinear comb feedback structures for spectral shaping
• Comb is pingable to give physically-modeled guitar, sitar, clarinet(ish) types of sounds
• 16 different comb tap spacing patterns
• Global comb time can be set either by manual entry with the encoder, or by an external clock (with adjustable clock divider), or by a 1v/oct control voltage.
• Global comb time modulation by an LFO with 8 selectable waveforms
• Comb times range from 0.1 millisecond to 20 seconds.

• 96KHz, 24-bit (32-bit internal) signal processing
• Most parameters are controllable by external control voltages, either directly or through the two auxiliary modulation inputs (MODA, MODB)
• 128 Factory preset and 128 User preset storage
• (audio-rate) randomization of all parameters, or selectable subsets
strangegravity
I don't understand the speaker in a rack deal. Why would anyone want to run a $2000 synth through a 3in speaker much less eat rack space for it?
Innerself2007
Rainmaker looks incredible!!
Any guesses on a street date?
Price?
Im going to be homeless and divorced when Summer arrives help
narwhal
jjclark wrote:
TechnoPrisoner wrote:

No, I've been working on these ideas since 2012. By the time Clouds appeared our prototype was more or less where it is now.

Do you have any examples of the module doing granular style effects?

Looks terrific and v intriguing by the way. Great work!
spacenoodle
Innerself2007 wrote:
Price?

Estimates mentioned in the videos:

Rainmaker ~2-3 weeks, $639
Jellysquasher ~5-6 weeks, $350
Boombox ~5-6 weeks, $140
maltemark
TheBradster wrote:
Gotta say it's the new cases that have me most excited. Don't suppose anyone has any prices on them yet? Checked a number of dealers, nothing posted yet.

same questions here. Want! :yay:
7C
did someone mention how much the cases will be and when they´ll ship? especially the 7u beauty (with bus & outputs)?
rainmaker is also an absolute must i guess.

guess this means porridge for a month then.
intellijel
xonetacular wrote:
taylor12k wrote:

We wanted to do a bit of a graphics refresh and we switched to using a new digital CMYK printing process as it allows us many more color options for graphics and no alignment issues between colors. In order to use this new process we had to use a different kind of metal plate which happens to have a different kind of finish. imho they look substantially nicer too!
LoveBot
I think I read somewhere that the Intellijel 1U rails are not compatible with Pulplogic/Synthrotek/erthenvar...or vice versa; anyone have any more info on this, or can confirm/clarify?
Innerself2007
spacenoodle wrote:
Innerself2007 wrote:
Price?

Estimates mentioned in the videos:

Rainmaker ~2-3 weeks, $639
Jellysquasher ~5-6 weeks, $350
Boombox ~5-6 weeks, $140

Thanks Spacenoodle
CrankSatori
jjclark wrote:

pretty sure this is my new best friend
CrankSatori
any estimates of how many mA it's going to take to make this weather control machine go yet?
phosfiend
I'd be equally happy with a version of the 7U without connectivity or even the more complex side panels too. Was hoping to at least hear about price on the cases
Krater
thanks jjclark for listing all the features, starts making sense now. Hope I can try it out soon, maybe at Superbooth.
pulplogic
LoveBot wrote:
I think I read somewhere that the Intellijel 1U rails are not compatible with Pulplogic/Synthrotek/erthenvar...or vice versa; anyone have any more info on this, or can confirm/clarify?

I read that also, however I would be surprised if it was true. The 1U Tile specification has been around since 2012 so it would be strange if they didn't use it.

http://pulplogic.com/1u_tiles/
euromorcego
pulplogic wrote:

I read that also, however I would be surprised if it was true. The 1U Tile specification has been around since 2012 so it would be strange if they didn't use it.

there was a long discussion about this here already, including comments from Intellijel directly (so not just hearsay).

Bottom line: they are not compatible. The Intellijel 1u tiles were designed such that the 4U system actually fits in a 4u rackspace, and 7u fit in a 7u rackspace. The existing specs did not allow for this, the 4u is actually a bit larger than 4u (owing to the size of the rails).
The difference is not much, 3mm or so, if I remember correctly, but sufficient to make both version incompatible with each other. Which is very unfortunate.
dumbledog
pulplogic wrote:
LoveBot wrote:

http://pulplogic.com/1u_tiles/

There's some more info here:

While I was there, I talked to Danjel about his 1U tile modules, and why he went away from the format others had been creating to date for tiles. He explained that once you included issues like room for a lip in the rack rails, the system others had been following to date didn’t fit cleanly in a true 1U space, causing some issues for racking. He also made what he felt were other design enhancements in power connection etc., and has offered to share all of his specs with other manufacturers in hopes of establishing a better “standard” before 1U tiles become too big of a market segment to change.

So yeah looks like there's a format war brewing. Great.
LoveBot
I was digging around trying to find the link to the discussion but can't seem to locate it. So wait, the Pulplogic Mainframe 3U+1U does not exactly fit into 4U in a regular 19" studio rack? Or am I not understanding correctly? I ask because I have a plan to imminently combine a row of 5U, 3U+1U into a single 19" 9U case.
pulplogic
euromorcego wrote:

The existing specs did not allow for this, the 4u is actually a bit larger than 4u (owing to the size of the rails).

The 1U Tile Spec was designed for a 4U package.
You can see it here: http://pulplogic.com/1u_tiles/

This frame is 4U and fits fine.
euromorcego
and some more information here:

Intellijel wrote:
I knew there was a potential for some controversy with our choice of sizing for the 1U modules but we honestly had no ulterior motives behind this other than being the only practical way we could make them work with our design.

As far as following the lead of those who had come before us that is exactly what we did: we calculate sizes based on official 1U rack standards and Doepfer Eurorack measurements.

Given that 1U = 1.75" and a 1U tile panel is 1.7" that would only leave 0.025" for each rail lip (0.6mm!) and that is without accounting for size tolerances and extra spacing which is usually about +/-0.2mm

It was important for us that the 4U cases fit perfectly in a 4U rack space. This requirement drove all the other sizing.

We also looked at Doepfer 3U specs in terms of distance of panel holes relative to edge of 3U space, panel size vs. opening, rail thickness etc.

We also wanted to keep using the 5x2 pin headers for power so that the modules would be compatible with standard power supplies.

I actually think the idea on Tiles to use a mini header is very clever but it does not work for our modules since we have some that will be using the CV/gate bus and +5V rails.

from: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=134229&postdays=0&po storder=asc&start=484
euromorcego
pulplogic wrote:

yes, indeed. But I can just quote what Intellijel said (see above & and the entire thread, big discussion there). Since I have neither the pulplogic case nor the new Intellijel, I cannot say anything meaningful beyond that (but I checked the Clicks and Clocks 4u brackets and they indeed are more than 4u).

EDIT: Intellijel states "1U Panel height = 44.45 - 4.85mm = 39.6mm so this is the height our panels are". Pulplogic/Erthenvar tiles are 1.7'' (approx 43mm). The difference (according to specs) is not much, but it seems to be sufficient to prevent mix-and-match.
wavefold
I can already see the eternal waitlist for those modules waah
geremyf
Which is why we want the pre-order info STAT!
taylor12k
a Twitter exchange with danjel this morning on the new panels.

the panels are need a new material. same metal that Mutable y will be making and stocking extra panels if you want to convert existing intellijel modules you own to the new look.
geremyf
Oh excellent. That is very good news!

It looks like rainmaker is 36hp, correct? Too bad it couldn't have been 30 hp to fit in a 104 skiff with Atlantis + Metropolis. But I guess the 7U system with at least a Shapeshifter as well is in the cards.
Voggg
Might get that squash at some point when I have more space.

It would be so much fun to put four of the speakers in the corners of a 12 u case.
njdoyle
Can someone help explain to me exactly how the link connections work on compressors (the Jellysquasher)?

I understand the theory that it makes the compressors behave the same on stereo as to not mess up the image. I'm more interested in what signal precisely comes out of the link jack. Would it basically be a VCA CV or something? Would linking two compressors together make one of them be a master and the other one ignore it's input for determining compression amount and just compress according to the other linked compressor? Do I still have to have the knobs set identically on both units for a consistent sound?
intellijel
pulplogic wrote:
euromorcego wrote:

The existing specs did not allow for this, the 4u is actually a bit larger than 4u (owing to the size of the rails).

But that is because the rails you are using in this do not have any lip at all so they are atypical to the most commonly used rails (e.g. doepfer, tiptop etc.)

As stated in the other thread I made my calculations on the panel size to be the same ratio as the panels used by doepfer in the 3U size.

This is the only way it would work with our extrusions that have lips.
zdarma
clarke68 wrote:
orangehexagon wrote:
clarke68 wrote:

w00t
Looks like fun!
intellijel
njdoyle wrote:
Can someone help explain to me exactly how the link connections work on compressors (the Jellysquasher)?

I understand the theory that it makes the compressors behave the same on stereo as to not mess up the image. I'm more interested in what signal precisely comes out of the link jack. Would it basically be a VCA CV or something? Would linking two compressors together make one of them be a master and the other one ignore it's input for determining compression amount and just compress according to the other linked compressor? Do I still have to have the knobs set identically on both units for a consistent sound?

The LINK out is essentially an envelope follower or the control signal you would use to adjust the gain of the VCA that the audio is being fed through.

If both compressors get fed the same control signal then they get compressed the same way. The user would have to make sure that other settings match such as which color circuits are engaged and input levels.

All the controls in blue (threshold, ratio, attack, and decay) basically determine the shape of this control signal relative to the incoming audio.
pulplogic
intellijel wrote:
pulplogic wrote:
euromorcego wrote:

But that is because the rails you are using in this do not have any lip at all so they are atypical to the most commonly used rails (e.g. doepfer, tiptop etc.)

As stated in the other thread I made my calculations on the panel size to be the same ratio as the panels used by doepfer in the 3U size.

This is the only way it would work with our extrusions that have lips.

I understand and I'm not interested in any controversy. But please don't say that the current tiles don't fit in a 4U package. They have been used in a 4U package since 2012.

On another note. Congratulations on the new designs. They look fantastic!
intellijel
Quote:

I understand and I'm not interested in any controversy. But please don't say that the current tiles don't fit in a 4U package. They have been used in a 4U package since 2012.

no problem I will make that clear that we wanted our 1U modules to work with rails that had lips. Really the whole reason we made these was not to invent a new standard but to have a place to put the i/o points for power, midi and audio modules. I really wish I could have made it work with existing tiles!

Quote:
On another note. Congratulations on the new designs. They look fantastic!

thanks!
SamUK
jjclark wrote:

• Individual tap delays are set according to one of 16 preset patterns (grooves)

Can you elaborate on this a bit more? Does this mean you don't have individual control over the time of each tap? But instead the ratios are predefined? (e.g. evenly spaced, primes, etc). What does the amount control over groove do?
bucketbrigade
The demo video of rainmaker has my mind reeling with possibilities. Seems like a module I could get lost in forever. Favorite NAMM announcement for me. applause
drxcm
I'm curious about the Rainmakers pitch-shifting.

In the demo video, it sounds like the pitch is quantised (steppy) when modulated or adjusted by the pot. Maybe its a setting?

Can anyone from intellijel confirm if this is the case?
jjclark
SamUK wrote:
jjclark wrote:

Can you elaborate on this a bit more? Does this mean you don't have individual control over the time of each tap? But instead the ratios are predefined? (e.g. evenly spaced, primes, etc). What does the amount control over groove do?

Yes, exactly. The groove amount cross-fades the selected groove pattern and a uniform spacing. So, if you have selected the swing groove pattern, the groove amount gives you the amount of swing.

Keep in mind that you can mute some of the 16 taps to give more control over tap spacing.
jjclark
drxcm wrote:
I'm curious about the Rainmakers pitch-shifting.

In the demo video, it sounds like the pitch is quantised (steppy) when modulated or adjusted by the pot. Maybe its a setting?

Can anyone from intellijel confirm if this is the case?

The global pitch shift (knob in the lower left) is not quantized at all. It is continuous. However, the delay time and pitch shift values are updated at the zero crossings of the grain envelopes to prevent glitching. So if you change the pitch shift value quickly, you will get stepping since the updates will occur at regular intervals.

Choosing a smaller grain size will reduce this stepping, but may cause some audible modulation depending on the source. Also, using 4 grains reduces the stepping as compared with using 2 grains, although it creates more noticeable comb filtering. There is some random variation in the grain onsets to break the comb effect somewhat.

The per-tap pitch shift is quantized to semitone intervals, but there is also a per-tap fine adjustment (detune) as well.

Oh, and did I mention there are 18 stereo pitch shifters on this module? And they can all run at the same time for some glorious madness.
Cata
jjclark wrote:
Oh, and did I mention there are 18 stereo pitch shifters on this module? And they can all run at the same time for some glorious madness.

Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana
SamUK
jjclark wrote:
SamUK wrote:
jjclark wrote:

Yes, exactly. The groove amount cross-fades the selected groove pattern and a uniform spacing. So, if you have selected the swing groove pattern, the groove amount gives you the amount of swing.

Keep in mind that you can mute some of the 16 taps to give more control over tap spacing.

Thanks, I was thinking about this before you replied, at first I was a bit concerned that you wouldn't be able to edit the times individually, but on reflection maybe having to edit all 16 of them might be a bit too much of a pain. Are the patterns already I decided? I hope there are some mathematical ones, primes, Fibonacci, irrational numbers...

What about the grid and piles stuff? Is that a way to reassign the taps?

The UI looks well thought out.
jjclark
SamUK wrote:

Thanks, I was thinking about this before you replied, at first I was a bit concerned that you wouldn't be able to edit the times individually, but on reflection maybe having to edit all 16 of them might be a bit too much of a pain. Are the patterns already I decided? I hope there are some mathematical ones, primes, Fibonacci, irrational numbers...

What about the grid and piles stuff? Is that a way to reassign the taps?

The UI looks well thought out.

The comb patterns are mainly mathematical, including fibonacci. The groove patterns include the usual swing patterns, and a few common rhythm patterns taken from drum machines, and there are some random patterns. There is also a way to randomly perturb the patterns.

The grid is essentially a #taps per beat setting.

The piles group together sets of taps to have the same delay time (so they pile on top of each other). So you could, for example, have four groups with 4 taps each. The pitch shift setting for the 4 taps within a pile could be selected so as to play a chord for example. Or you could set the filters for each tap in the pile to different center frequencies, giving a simple filter bank.
Funky40
edit: obsolet post, sorry
MATSmile
jjclark wrote:
SamUK wrote:
jjclark wrote:

Can delay be panned to ether right or left channel?
Funky40
MUCH intrigued by the Rainmaker !

ok, my Qs:
- whats the relation between the Delay and the comb filter, is there any ?
- i see a clock AND a trig input on the delay. Is it for stepping thru presets ? what else ?
- switches: FX-ON -and- mute. What *excatly* do they do ?
- global clock: why no control over CV ? could it be added in a later update if you wanted ?
- why not more than +/- 1oct pitch shift ? looks soundwise like quite a bit of a waiste of potential here. 2oct at least would would be VERY welcome !....up to 3 probably ( yes, i use this all the time in my MPC (...working out from PRG edit mode))

also much impressed by the compressor ! looks like a very practically and thought out concept.
jjclark
MATSmile wrote:

Yes, each of the 16 taps can be individually panned.
MATSmile
jjclark wrote:
MATSmile wrote:

Yes, each of the 16 taps can be individually panned.

MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING
ambulance
jjclark
Funky40 wrote:
MUCH intrigued by the Rainmaker !

ok, my Qs:
- whats the relation between the Delay and the comb filter, is there any ?
- i see a clock AND a trig input on the delay. Is it for stepping thru presets ? what else ?
- switches: FX-ON -and- mute. What *excatly* do they do ?
- global clock: why no control over CV ? could it be added in a later update if you wanted ?
- why not more than +/- 1oct pitch shift ? looks soundwise like quite a bit of a waiste of potential here. 2oct at least would would be VERY welcome !....up to 3 probably ( yes, i use this all the time in my MPC (...working out from PRG edit mode))

also much impressed by the compressor ! looks like a very practically and thought out concept.

The delay and comb filter are independent.

The clock is the usual delay clock, and acts like the tap tempo button.

The trigger is not necessarily part of the delay. It can also affect the comb. It can trigger many different actions, such as freezing the delay buffer, causing a randomization of parameters, muting the comb, etc. And it can be done at audio rate. There is no stepping through of presets (that makes less sense for an effects module than for an oscillator)

The mute for the delay and comb sets the input to these to zero, but feedback signals can keep recirculating. The bypass, on the other hand, sets the output to the input. Pretty standard, just like on delay pedals.

There is no global clock. There is a clock for the delay and a clock for the comb. The omission of a 1v/oct control for the delay time was a design decision due to noise issues. You can use a VCO driving the clock input - that works very well. There is a 1v/oct input for the comb, however.

Actually the pitch shift range is more than +/- 1 octave, it is -16 to +15 semitones. The global pitch shift can also give an extra octave or so of range.
Hovercraft
The 7U case looks great. Any information on the price and availability? Are those cover latches I see on the side? One video showed what looked like two of them linked together.
bkbirge
Rainmaker is the first module I've seen since the serge res eq that looks like a great standalone studio outboard piece.
Funky40
bkbirge wrote:
Rainmaker is the first module I've seen since the serge res eq that looks like a great standalone studio outboard piece.

yup.
might be cool to put one behind a octatrack or such

Thank You JJ !
emmaker
One thing that has really caught my ear lately are resonator modules. Seems like a new area of synthesis that is being explored at a module level. Now there is the Rainmaker, Rings and the Spectral Multiband Resonator. While each is a resonator they are all different. Not an easy decision, going to have to do a lot of reading and listening.
kasey
the intelllijel am/fm boombox is finally complete.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
strangegravity wrote:
I don't understand the speaker in a rack deal. Why would anyone want to run a $2000 synth through a 3in speaker much less eat rack space for it?

Um, ARP 2600?
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Voggg wrote:
Might get that squash at some point when I have more space.

It would be so much fun to put four of the speakers in the corners of a 12 u case.

Yes, and use the Planar to get quadraphonic control over them.
Roy72
Is the Thru on the BoomBox line level, or is it as it says on the tin?
Amer1231
kasey wrote:
the intelllijel am/fm boombox is finally complete.

The most hipster thing in the universe lol

Nonetheless, the rain maker won the delay game this year. 4ms took too long to get their thing out and the strymon is nice but its just an end-of-the-chain kind of effect. The quantized oscillations are nice though
severence
wow, rainmaker specs look great!

jjclark wrote:

is it possible to limit or set a range for the amount of randomization applied to parameters or subsets?
Daisuk
Rainmaker looks and sounds insane! Need it badly. eek!
kao:be.
so what are those 1U modeles exactly? a midi, an output, a power and a 4channel mixer attenuator? Am I correct?

are Intellijel planning to release more?
eyeiaye
MUST HAVE RAINMAKER we're not worthy
boramx
strangegravity wrote:

Feedback w/ the microphonie module + piezo disk could be really interesting.
kisielk
@severence - The "randomize" button in the top left of the panel takes you to a menu that allows you to select which subset of parameters will be randomized. There's no control over the amount though.

@kao:be - Currently in the cases we have modules for: line out, audio in / out (like audio interface ii, minus the meters), a mult, quadratt (like triatt but with 4 channels, and cascaded summing), and µMIDI. There are more planned.
Dave77
Rainmaker we're not worthy
algorhythm
Is the Rainmaker all-digital? Just curious - it looks really amazing!
oinkbanana
kao:be. wrote:
so what are those 1U modeles exactly? a midi, an output, a power and a 4channel mixer attenuator? Am I correct?

are Intellijel planning to release more?

I'm curious about these as well.
are they modules that will be made available only with the cases?
I haven't see any release info yet.
Innerself2007
emmaker wrote:
One thing that has really caught my ear lately are resonator modules. Seems like a new area of synthesis that is being explored at a module level. Now there is the Rainmaker, Rings and the Spectral Multiband Resonator. While each is a resonator they are all different. Not an easy decision, going to have to do a lot of reading and listening.

I'm in the same boat, really loving the sound of resonator's.
Waiting on a delivery of the 4ms SMR, can't wait to give that a try.
Saving room for the Rainmaker, might pull the trigger on that once more is revealed.
Rings and Elements sound amazing as well. Sure you can't go wrong with any or all is these modules. Too many decisions, all are very unique in their own way.
Innerself2007
On the Rainmaker, can you switch what effect is first in the chain?
For example can I play the resonator and route that to the delay chain and vice versa?
Sorry in advance if this has been answered already
jjclark
Innerself2007 wrote:
For example can I play the resonator and route that to the delay chain and vice versa?

Yes. You can do delay into comb or comb into delay, or have them in parallel. Or just have comb alone or delay alone. Or even just silence if that's your thing (but there are cheaper modules that give you this).

The rainmaker is mostly digital. The analog part is the input and output buffers and the wet/dry mix.
rayrayatx
Are those new metropolis and atlantis revisions? Or just a slight change in panel font?
geremyf
Earlier in the thread they said panel only, and new panels will be available to retrofit current modules if desired.
Innerself2007
jjclark wrote:
Innerself2007 wrote:

Yes. You can do delay into comb or comb into delay, or have them in parallel. Or just have comb alone or delay alone. Or even just silence if that's your thing (but there are cheaper modules that give you this).

The rainmaker is mostly digital. The analog part is the input and output buffers and the wet/dry mix.

Thanks jjclark
L.C.O.
Yes the Rainmaker is very intriguing.

I will definitely want to test drive this beast in the studio to get some serious hands-on feel for it. I "think" it will be a powerful device for crazy processing and structure developments, but it seems a bit too expensive to just impulse buy... ;-)
severence
kisielk wrote:
@severence - The "randomize" button in the top left of the panel takes you to a menu that allows you to select which subset of parameters will be randomized. There's no control over the amount though.

thanks for clarifying, i had been imagining patches with the rainmaker slowly mutating over time with more subtle randomization via gating trig in and having aux mod a effect random probability and aux mod b effect random range (a bit like the patch mutator inside the nord g2).

certainly not the end of the world and i imagine similar sorts of patches can be had feeding the cv ins instead, looking forward to reading the manual when it becomes available wink
exper
One more prototype:

https://instagram.com/p/BA5G9-ZDmBM/
grillo
Oh yess, the pusher may not be the sexiest module but that's exactly what I was looking for!!
Roy72
^Indeed, that looks so useful.
Abraxis
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:

Yes, and use the Planar to get quadraphonic control over them.

Or that filter with the 8 sine waves that one dude designed.
Geaux
Is the pusher as simple as it looks? I have been dreaming something similar but with the ability to record/playback a sequence.
taylor12k
then you might want to look at the qu-bit Tri-ger

Geaux wrote:
Is the pusher as simple as it looks? I have been dreaming something similar but with the ability to record/playback a sequence.
exper
taylor12k wrote:

Geaux wrote:

It'll be interesting once the details are shown. As in, what do the Beta f(fx) buttons do, and if the sync jack is in or out. If it's an input, then for me it'll be more useful than the triger which cannot sync to external clock.

Even at face value though, toggled, gate and clock functions would a a lot of fun for performance.
Geaux
exper wrote:
taylor12k wrote:

Geaux wrote:

It'll be interesting once the details are shown. As in, what do the Beta f(fx) buttons do, and if the sync jack is in or out. If it's an input, then for me it'll be more useful than the triger which cannot sync to external clock.

Even at face value though, toggled, gate and clock functions would a a lot of fun for performance.

Agreed, I didn't mean simple to be an insult, I just wasn't sure if there was more info out there than a picture as I tend to miss a lot of stuff.
exper
Geaux wrote:
exper wrote:
taylor12k wrote:

Geaux wrote:

Agreed, I didn't mean simple to be an insult, I just wasn't sure if there was more info out there than a picture as I tend to miss a lot of stuff.

Oh no, I understood you. I was just saying that since it's an early prototype details might be scarce yet.

I'm going to have to make space for it though. Looks super useful.
Yeggman
kisielk wrote:
@severence -
@kao:be - Currently in the cases we have modules for: line out, audio in / out (like audio interface ii, minus the meters), a mult, quadratt (like triatt but with 4 channels, and cascaded summing), and µMIDI. There are more planned.

applause
kisielk
I'm still experimenting with the pusher functions. Currently there is a gate/trigger looper that will quantize start and end based on the incoming sync, operated with the small button. Someone at NAMM already asked about quantizing the triggers themselves, so I will see if there's a clear way to fit that in the UI.

Currently no alternate functions for clock or toggle mode, but I have some ideas...
oinkbanana
any street date announced for the new cases?
mooneh
This talk about the 1u size made me remember when I bought 4 Erica synths cases with rack ears and they wouldnt fit above each other in a 19" rack . I think they still doesn't mention this at their site.
SamUK
jjclark: one more question, how does it handle clipping? Particular with respect to feedback.
eyeiaye
Yes, was there a price mentioned on the case?

Or for the full eurorack demoed?
jjclark
SamUK wrote:
jjclark: one more question, how does it handle clipping? Particular with respect to feedback.

There are clipping/saturation circuits on each of the major pathways (feedback, filtering). The comb has three different types of feedback circuits. One is straight clipping, the other two have nonlinear characteristics. Thus the sound of the comb when driven to self-oscillation will be different depending on which is chosen.
jjclark
[s]http://soundcloud.com/cylonix/first-fifty-digits-of-pi-in-hex-rainm aker-freeze-shift-reverse[/s]

This is a demo of the Rainmaker doing a simple 2-tap delay but with buffer freeze and reverse, and global pitch shifting.

The audio source is taken from the public domain librivox site.
asymptote
The soundcloud sample isn't showing up for me. Do you have a link?
SamUK
asymptote wrote:

https://soundcloud.com/cylonix/first-fifty-digits-of-pi-in-hex-rainmak er-freeze-shift-reverse
asymptote
SamUK wrote:
asymptote wrote:

https://soundcloud.com/cylonix/first-fifty-digits-of-pi-in-hex-rainmak er-freeze-shift-reverse

Thanks!
phosfiend
eyeiaye wrote:
Yes, was there a price mentioned on the case?

Or for the full eurorack demoed?

This! I'd even appreciate a "we're still finalizing pricing but it should be less than X (where X is totally safe over estimate)" so I can either budget for an IJ case (or two) or pick up pair of those TTA cases, or the new Malekko 12U.
realshafer
jjclark wrote:
[s]http://soundcloud.com/cylonix/first-fifty-digits-of-pi-in-hex-rainm aker-freeze-shift-reverse[/s]

This is a demo of the Rainmaker doing a simple 2-tap delay but with buffer freeze and reverse, and global pitch shifting.

The audio source is taken from the public domain librivox site.

To my ears, the freeze effect produces a dull click when engaged. Does anyone else notice that?
rutabaga40
I'll be honest, the first show floor demos I heard featured a lot of the pitch-shifting effect, which isn't my thing. But as I've heard other sources run through it and wrapped my head around the other aspects. Um, I'm down! It's so deep, though. Is it too deep? eek!
Funky40
Rainmaker deserves a own thread, not ? there isn´t any, right ?

please add somebody a pic and the specs into the first post then........
and probably a reverence to this thread.
intellijel
rutabaga40 wrote:
I'll be honest, the first show floor demos I heard featured a lot of the pitch-shifting effect, which isn't my thing. But as I've heard other sources run through it and wrapped my head around the other aspects. Um, I'm down! It's so deep, though. Is it too deep? eek!

Now that I am home and in a noise free environment I will be posting some MUCH better demo videos.
asymptote
intellijel wrote:
Now that I am home and in a noise free environment I will be posting some MUCH better demo videos.

BRING IT ON!!! SlayerBadger!
Daisuk
intellijel wrote:
rutabaga40 wrote:

Nice! Looking much forward to it. Would also appreciate the power specs of it. smile
oscillateur
A rough price range for the cases would be nice too smile
Especially the 7U with cover...
_seph
oscillateur wrote:

yes please. that little bit of info would save me from refreshing this page throughout the day.
Yeggman
_seph wrote:
oscillateur wrote:

yes please. that little bit of info would save me from refreshing this page throughout the day.

haha yes me too! hihi
geremyf
Yeggman wrote:
_seph wrote:
oscillateur wrote:

haha yes me too! hihi

+1 and looking to preorder!!
GoneCaving
I asked on Twitter and got the following response from Danjel

Quote:
The 7u cases should be ready in 5-6 weeks and target price of $500-550. The 4u cases and some if the 1u modules are in stock.
Innerself2007
Daisuk wrote:
intellijel wrote:
rutabaga40 wrote:

Nice! Looking much forward to it. Would also appreciate the power specs of it. smile

Can't wait for the demos!
Innerself2007
Daisuk wrote:
intellijel wrote:
rutabaga40 wrote:

Can't wait for the demos! Sorry double post
phosfiend
GoneCaving wrote:
I asked on Twitter and got the following response from Danjel

Quote:
The 7u cases should be ready in 5-6 weeks and target price of $500-550. The 4u cases and some if the 1u modules are in stock.

Was that powered? I assume yes?
Did that price have the 1U tiles (midi, quadratt, etc)? I assume no?
Geaux
That's a really solid price for the 7U case assuming it has all the stuff on the back as shown at namm.
kisielk
That's powered, with the I/O ports. The modules (µMIDI 1U, audio interface) are separate.
whitewulfe
kisielk wrote:
That's powered, with the I/O ports. The modules (µMIDI 1U, audio interface) are separate.

I'm guessing there's some sort of interconnect to go from the I/O ports to the tiles themselves?
kisielk
whitewulfe wrote:
kisielk wrote:

I'm guessing there's some sort of interconnect to go from the I/O ports to the tiles themselves?

Yes, just a ribbon cable. For the boat cases the ribbon goes to another tile with the connectors.
poppinger
I'm definitely in the market for one of the cases.

realshafer wrote:
To my ears, the freeze effect produces a dull click when engaged. Does anyone else notice that?

Yes.
oscillateur
kisielk wrote:

Is the lid included ?

Edit : also, did you plan to make a soft cover or something similar to protect the I/O on the top (in case of rain/etc.) ?
whitewulfe
kisielk wrote:
Yes, just a ribbon cable. For the boat cases the ribbon goes to another tile with the connectors.

Definitely good to know!
kisielk
Lid is included. No plans for a soft cover at this point
oscillateur
kisielk wrote:
Lid is included. No plans for a soft cover at this point

Cool, thanks for the info. thumbs up

I saw on one pic that it's possible to use a strap to carry the case (which is great as carrying a modular just with a handle gets old pretty quickly smile ), will the strap be included too ?
kisielk
That's TBD I guess. Case design & accessories are still being finalized.
VanEck
Anyone catch the ETA on the Jellysquasher? I must have missed it if it was announced.
strangegravity
I saw on the NAMM 2016 Euro thread that the Intellijel tiles are 6mm short of 1U. There is a pic of someone holding a blank 1U tile next to the Intellijel tiles and it looks to be true.

Why didn't Intellijel use standard "U" divisions?
Citizen Klaus
strangegravity wrote:
I saw on the NAMM 2016 Euro thread that the Intellijel tiles are 6mm short of 1U. There is a pic of someone holding a blank 1U tile next to the Intellijel tiles and it looks to be true.

Why didn't Intellijel use standard "U" divisions?

They did. Intellijel derived their 1U tiles from the Doepfer spec; Pulp Logic and Earthenvar didn't.
dumbledog
There is no Doepfer 1U spec.
Citizen Klaus
dumbledog wrote:
There is no Doepfer 1U spec.

That's why I said "derived."
mateo
Someone needs to make a 1U thread, sticky it, and point everybody there when this comes up.

Citizen klaus didn't say there was a Doepfer 1U spec, he said Intellijel derived from the Doepfer spec, which is correct. The spec says "The final height of the front panels is a bit less than 133.4 mm (3U) as the rim of the mounting rails has to taken into consideration". PulpLogic decided to make their tile panels exactly 1U to get a bit of extra PCB space, which was possible because they use Vector rails, but it means their tiles are not compatible with all rails.
strangegravity
mateo wrote:
Someone needs to make a 1U thread, sticky it, and point everybody there when this comes up.

Citizen klaus didn't say there was a Doepfer 1U spec, he said Intellijel derived from the Doepfer spec, which is correct. The spec says "The final height of the front panels is a bit less than 133.4 mm (3U) as the rim of the mounting rails has to taken into consideration". PulpLogic decided to make their tile panels exactly 1U to get a bit of extra PCB space, which was possible because they use Vector rails, but it means their tiles are not compatible with all rails.

Now that explanation made sense. Thank you
exper
strangegravity wrote:
mateo wrote:

Now that explanation made sense. Thank you

Besides that, there's no real 1u spec either. monome's is 1.25u I think, there's erthenvar's vector based size, I think someone said the make noise bus bar is a little different, and who know what Vermona or birdkids based theirs on.
Citizen Klaus
mateo wrote:

Thanks for that longer explanation, mateo. I've created an info thread here, in case anyone wants to check it over.
JCM
The NAMM Demo is pretty helpful actually. Thanks to the sax you get a nice preview of what it'll sound like in a Vaporwave context.
kisielk
Information about the new modules is now up on the Intellijel website:

https://intellijel.com/eurorack-modules/

We should have pages for the 4U cases and 1U modules up later this week.
geremyf
We are impatiently awaiting!
Yeggman
geremyf wrote:
We are impatiently awaiting!

SO impatiently hyper
SamUK
intellijel wrote:
xonetacular wrote:
taylor12k wrote:

We wanted to do a bit of a graphics refresh and we switched to using a new digital CMYK printing process as it allows us many more color options for graphics and no alignment issues between colors. In order to use this new process we had to use a different kind of metal plate which happens to have a different kind of finish. imho they look substantially nicer too!

So are we expecting refreshed panels for all the modules? If so, when?
geremyf
Whoa. I need that 7U case. More details here:

Finally figured out how to embed video meh
dc_Sux
kisielk wrote:

We should have pages for the 4U cases and 1U modules up later this week.

Drums!
Geaux
Impatiently awaiting the 1U module specs to go up so they can be put into modular grid and I can continue my drooling over them w00t
Voggg
Right now there's only the 4u and 7u announced right? I'm hoping for a 10U, 126hp version.
maltemark
126hp <3 would love that
timothyjr
Is the Jellysquasher capable of handling an instrument level input? I know it can work as an envelope follower, and as a bad ass compressor, but I love the idea of it being an all around capable external input module too.
0netwo0netwo
wassup with that case info

hmmm..... nanners nanners
Roy72
Is there any similarity between the filter/distortion section on the Jellysquasher and the Polaris?
Voggg
while we are waiting impatiently, I'd like to advocate for some future 1u modules:

1u Dixie
1u multi-function utility
1u logic
1u pressure buttons
esoteric23
Voggg wrote:
while we are waiting impatiently, I'd like to advocate for some future 1u modules:

1u Dixie
1u multi-function utility
1u logic
1u pressure buttons

They have Quadratt listed up on ModularGrid, which seems like a great bit of utility in 1U. I would love to see some logic modules to fit in next to the MIDI module.
le_palace
Voggg wrote:

1u Dixie

now we're talking
clarte
The 4u cases are now available hihi

https://intellijel.com/4u-cases/
xonetacular
7u 104hp cases pls
apfEID
xonetacular wrote:
7u 104hp cases pls

Yup. hard to go back to 84 after using Enclave for a while, it's just the right width for performing.
0netwo0netwo
yes and you should give them your money

i got mine already and love it

already have the space reserved for the rainmaker

give them your money!! applause
tsunamisucks
0netwo0netwo cool setup!
Diabolik!
0netwo0netwo wrote:
yes and you should give them your money

i got mine already and love it

already have the space reserved for the rainmaker

give them your money!! applause

how much was the quadratt?
0netwo0netwo
it was around 75$ i cant remember for sure

everything was bundled into one price

hihi
_seph
I see "Joiners (for stacking and linking)" as a coming accessory and we've seen two of the 7U cases connected.

has there been any mention of whether a 4U and 7U can be joined?
kisielk
_seph wrote:
I see "Joiners (for stacking and linking)" as a coming accessory and we've seen two of the 7U cases connected.

has there been any mention of whether a 4U and 7U can be joined?

No existing design for this but it may be possible in the future. The joiners in question will be for connecting two 4U cases.
I love the idea that they can be joined together. Curious to see the hardware. The 4ms modular cases do this already, but the addition of the 1U row really differentiates the Intellijel.

Just eyeballing the dimensions, but it seems like most of the 6hp wide Intellijel modules could be adapted to the 1U row?
A 1U µVCA would be awesome!
algorhythm
Are there plans for black skiffs? I could have sworn I saw some pics a while back...
kisielk
algorhythm wrote:
Are there plans for black skiffs? I could have sworn I saw some pics a while back...

There's one in a photo just above...

They were produced in limited quantities, most of them are/will be silver. We may have a few left...
oscillateur
xonetacular wrote:
7u 104hp cases pls

Yeah, same here. I actually thought the 7U cases were 104HP and planned to order one as soon as they become available but I might have to wait until there is a 104HP version... These 40HP would actually make a big difference for me as it would be my whole system for a while.
Roy72
Me too, the 84hp led me to go elsewhere for a new case. An expandable 7U 104hp would be awesome. I reckon the Intellijel module design is about the best out there, lots of great stuff, but this just misses.
Coconuts
0netwo0netwo wrote:
it was around 75$ i cant remember for sure

everything was bundled into one price

hihi

Was that bundle price more economical than buying it all according to MSRP? How'd you set that up? Did you contact Dan directly?
0netwo0netwo
yes contacted him directly and let me tell you his customer service is excellent even though he may take a while to get back to you you just have to be patient and see what happens

SlayerBadger! mr danjel rocks!!
xonetacular
I heard a rumor that there are no plans to release 7u cases wider than 84hp, is this true?

84hp is a step backwards. I can't imagine many people are actually rack mounting their setups anyway.
tebs213
xonetacular wrote:
I heard a rumor that there are no plans to release 7u cases wider than 84hp, is this true?

84hp is a step backwards. I can't imagine many people are actually rack mounting their setups anyway.

That's the word so far. I'm still considering one at 84hp personally but 104hp pretty much guarantees I buy one, hope they change their minds!
esoteric23
Add another voice hoping to see a 104hp 7U offering from Intellijel.
kisielk
If you see the cases in person, they look extremely well balanced with the 84hp size. Also since a lot of the utility functions are built in to the 1U row there's less need for the case to be wider. The 84hp size also allowed us to use existing widely-available rails which make the case more affordable.
Torn n Frayed
0netwo0netwo wrote:
yes contacted him directly and let me tell you his customer service is excellent even though he may take a while to get back to you you just have to be patient and see what happens

Yes, must chime in here; I sent Intellijel an email about a broken Rubicon on Xmas eve and Dan replied back that night! Sent it off late December and it took them a while to get it taken care of due to holidays and NAMM but Dan gave me a break and they came through with a brand new one!! Thanks Intellijel!! applause
kasey
Torn n Frayed wrote:
0netwo0netwo wrote:

Yes, must chime in here; I sent Intellijel an email about a broken Rubicon on Xmas eve and Dan replied back that night! Sent it off late December and it took them a while to get it taken care of due to holidays and NAMM but Dan gave me a break and they came through with a brand new one!! Thanks Intellijel!! applause

I once broke a knob on my Metropolis and Danjel sent me a replacement in the mail for $0 inc. postage. <3
pitri
they have 104 HP cases on their website now...
when will be the 7U available and the link ability?
i hope schneiders is gonna stock them..
oscillateur
kisielk wrote:
If you see the cases in person, they look extremely well balanced with the 84hp size. Also since a lot of the utility functions are built in to the 1U row there's less need for the case to be wider. The 84hp size also allowed us to use existing widely-available rails which make the case more affordable.

Aren't there already 4U 104 HP cases though ?
kisielk
oscillateur wrote:
kisielk wrote:

The 4U cases are built as a one piece custom aluminum extrusion. Since it's an extruded process they can be made any length as long as the overall shape is the same.
waves_of_awesome
esoteric23 wrote:
ditto!
oscillateur
kisielk wrote:
oscillateur wrote:
kisielk wrote:

The 4U cases are built as a one piece custom aluminum extrusion. Since it's an extruded process they can be made any length as long as the overall shape is the same.

Ah, ok. Thanks for the explanation.

I'd still prefer a 104HP version though wink.
tebs213
I guess one solution would be to put two 4u 104hp cases together? Still would be cheaper than a lot of solutions, but am I correct in that the 4u cases don't have the built in ins and outs and midi? Can't say I'd complain about 208hp of 1u. Plenty of room for lots of quad attenuators!
tebs213
Also, making the 4u and 7u cases able to connect would be super clutch. At 84hp that would be a solid alternative long term for me instead of a 7u 104 if it's not going to be made.
timothyjr
If anyone's curious, I e-mailed Danjel about the Jellysquasher's input capabilities and he said it needs euro level signals to function properly. That's what I expected to hear, but I figured some more info would be nice.
TheSolenoids
The 7u cases with connectors, covers, and pop out legs were among my favorites from NAMM. Looking forward to these!
_seph
I think the 7U at 84hp will be a nice size and if I end up with two, it somehow seems far less excessive.
Flohr

Was daydreaming about this. Would be a seriously awesome monosynth.
Citizen Klaus
Question for kisielk (or anyone):

Will the 7U 84HP have enough room inside for internal mounting of Springray tanks? Thinking of maybe picking up one of these cases with tax-return money once they're released.
futuredaze
just ordered one of the 4U cases, emailed danjel about it before i ordered asking about the possibility of having the ins/outs and midi jacks on the back of the case, like the 7U case. he said that currently is not an option but that you could easily drill out holes for the ins/outs yourself, but midi might be a bit trickier to drill/mount yourself
tebs213
Citizen Klaus wrote:

Will the 7U 84HP have enough room inside for internal mounting of Springray tanks? Thinking of maybe picking up one of these cases with tax-return money once they're released.

They definitely looked deeper than I expected in the NAMM videos, certainly not skiff shallow. I'm curious about this myself.
kisielk
Citizen Klaus wrote:

Yes you can fit a springray tank. The case depth is 80mm (same as our 4U cases) and the power supply only occupies one row.
SkeenaCloud
Very excited for this year's Intellijel releases... to put it mildly.

How does the VCF work - does it filter the sidechain input only? If nothing was patched into the Sidechain, would it filter the Input signal or leave it alone?

I'm guessing if you wanted to use the filter by itself you'd patch your signal into the Sidechain and out of the VCF Output...

Just a question that popped into my head. Looking forward to scooping this one up.
WaveRider
kasey wrote:
Torn n Frayed wrote:
0netwo0netwo wrote:

I once broke a knob on my Metropolis and Danjel sent me a replacement in the mail for $0 inc. postage. <3

yeah they rule and I love that they are in my country, so no customs when getting service. The modules are well made, nice documentation etc... hi-tec and quality all the way. I know they won't leave me in the dust if I have problems. Thank you!
oscillateur
Any news about the 7U cases availability ? It's peanut butter jelly time!
kisielk
We got some of the first parts in from manufacturers this week, the rest should be arriving soon. A lot of local shops involved for the different plastics, milling, sheet metal, engraving, etc. Hopefully not long now smile
damase
SkeenaCloud wrote:
Very excited for this year's Intellijel releases... to put it mildly.

How does the VCF work - does it filter the sidechain input only? If nothing was patched into the Sidechain, would it filter the Input signal or leave it alone?

I'm guessing if you wanted to use the filter by itself you'd patch your signal into the Sidechain and out of the VCF Output...

Just a question that popped into my head. Looking forward to scooping this one up.

Traditionally it filters the sidechain input only but i was also curious to the operation of the filter functions. Im very excited to jellysquash
Naqin
Will the 4U cases be distributed to Europe? The 42HP one looks just about perfect for my needs, but I'm scared of the shipping and import costs Dead Banana
kisielk
Naqin wrote:
Will the 4U cases be distributed to Europe? The 42HP one looks just about perfect for my needs, but I'm scared of the shipping and import costs Dead Banana

Ask your favourite dealer to get some in and they can get them with their next order.
choice_of_meat
Sorry if I missed it before, but I would be able to have the 1U on the bottom correct? Basically upside down? I don't see any reason why not? For what it's worth, I want my I/O and mults on the bottom...
kisielk
On the 4U case it's no problem. On the upcoming 7U the feet are only on one side so you would only be able to do that if you lay it flat.
oscillateur
I suppose the release of the 7U cases is approaching, right ? smile

Also, do you have any simple 1U headphone output tile in preparation ?
kisielk
oscillateur wrote:

Yes, the parts are supposed to arrive any day. There is a headphone tile in the works.
esoteric23
Any change of plans on doing the 7U in 104HP?
modernage
waves_of_awesome wrote:
esoteric23 wrote:
ditto!

double ditto!
waves_of_awesome
would love a 7u x 104hp as well!
oscillateur
kisielk wrote:
oscillateur wrote:

Yes, the parts are supposed to arrive any day. There is a headphone tile in the works.

Excellent and excellent, thanks for the answer smile.
geremyf
Hokay so I have several intellijel related questions, and I figure here is where to post them (plus search is down and I can't find individual threads)...

1) The Atlantis webpage has been updated and says:
Quote:
The Atlantis has a header on the rear for connecting to a Metropolis via a 6-pin ribbon cable. With the ribbon cable in place, you do not need to connect the GATE or PITCH outputs of the Metropolis to the Atlantis with patch cables, the connections are already made.
You can still break the normal connections by connecting a patch cable to the Atlantis inputs, and the Metropolis can simultaneously be used to control another module from its front panel outputs.

Bold emphasis mine. Is this new? Everything I read before stated that if you used the link you could not drive Atlantis with alternate 1V/Oct & Gate, and it is fixed to Metropolis.

2) Is the Atlantis & Metropolis faceplates still being updated? Earlier it was mentioned that we would be able to order new faceplates. Any idea of ETA?

3) Now that at least 2 ppl have 7u system (according to instagram!), is there an ETA & Price?

As an aside (since I can't find the Atlantis standalone thread) has anyone tried using Atlantis as a complex oscillator? I have an external wavefolder (Snazzy FX Tidal Wave). I haven't really done it before because the modulation osc has no modulation input itself. I was thinking I could use the filter and it's modulation input to do this, but I'm not really sure.
kisielk
geremyf wrote:
Hokay so I have several intellijel related questions, and I figure here is where to post them (plus search is down and I can't find individual threads)...

1) The Atlantis webpage has been updated and says:
Quote:
The Atlantis has a header on the rear for connecting to a Metropolis via a 6-pin ribbon cable. With the ribbon cable in place, you do not need to connect the GATE or PITCH outputs of the Metropolis to the Atlantis with patch cables, the connections are already made.
You can still break the normal connections by connecting a patch cable to the Atlantis inputs, and the Metropolis can simultaneously be used to control another module from its front panel outputs.

Bold emphasis mine. Is this new? Everything I read before stated that if you used the link you could not drive Atlantis with alternate 1V/Oct & Gate, and it is fixed to Metropolis.

2) Is the Atlantis & Metropolis faceplates still being updated? Earlier it was mentioned that we would be able to order new faceplates. Any idea of ETA?

3) Now that at least 2 ppl have 7u system (according to instagram!), is there an ETA & Price?

As an aside (since I can't find the Atlantis standalone thread) has anyone tried using Atlantis as a complex oscillator? I have an external wavefolder (Snazzy FX Tidal Wave). I haven't really done it before because the modulation osc has no modulation input itself. I was thinking I could use the filter and it's modulation input to do this, but I'm not really sure.

1. I'll have to confirm that, I was told it works that way when I wrote that part of the manual but I had some problems with at least one of those when I tried it recently.
2. Once other modules are also updated, still waiting on some more complex panels like the Shapeshifter.
3. We weren't satisfied with the finish on the sidecheeks when we received them end of last week so they're now being refinished. Should be getting those parts back next week.

You can definitely do FM on the Atlantis using the mod oscillator. It will track pitch too if you use the link switch. You can only modulate mod depth manually though, not with an envelope.
geremyf
Hi, Thanks for the response. I meant doing cross-mod between the main osc and the mod osc. There is no way to modulate the mod osc itself. You can mod the filter when it is in high resonance mode, but then there is no way to control the ratio relationship between the filter (as osc) and main osc, unless I'm missing something. I guess that is one reason a lot of folks place a dixie next to the Atlantis.
kisielk
geremyf wrote:
Hi, Thanks for the response. I meant doing cross-FM between the main osc and the 'mod osc'. There is no way to mod the main osc. You can mod the filter when it is in high resonance mode, but then there is no way to control the ratio relationship between the filter (as osc) and main osc, unless I'm missing something. I guess that is one reason a lot of folks place a dixie next to the Atlantis.

Do you mean mod the mod osc? You can definitely mod the main osc, there's even a dedicated slider for that. You could cross-mod the mod oscillator by patching one of the main oscillator outputs to its 1v/oct, but you'd probably want an external attenuator.
geremyf
Sorry I edited my post but yes, mod the mod osc.

So I can do:
Main Osc -> 1V/Oct input to Mod Osc & Wavefolder -> VCA
Mod Osc -> Main Osc.
Siri
About the extrusions : are they custom or they already exist from a manufacturer?
kisielk
Siri wrote:
About the extrusions : are they custom or they already exist from a manufacturer?

Custom
Siri
@kisielk thanks.

It would be nice if they could be available for sale (separated from the rest).
kisielk
Siri wrote:
@kisielk thanks.

It would be nice if they could be available for sale (separated from the rest).

We sold a few to a customer who wanted to make their own custom end cheeks. send an email and it can probably be arranged.
astromooses
Kisielk any idea when Jellysquashers will start shipping? The hype from my pre-order is killing me. Dead Banana
kisielk
astromooses wrote:
Kisielk any idea when Jellysquashers will start shipping? The hype from my pre-order is killing me. Dead Banana

Final assembly / testing is starting on Monday, so probably soon.
kisielk
You can now buy 1U blank panels from the Intellijel web shop:

https://intellijel.com/product/1u-blank-panel/
Daisuk
kisielk wrote:
astromooses wrote:

Final assembly / testing is starting on Monday, so probably soon.

Does that mean you've finished the Rainmaker? Mr. Green
geremyf
kisielk wrote:

I'm glad they are available but also disappointed they aren't the cool black PWB panels with the intellijel robot!
peteone
when will jellysquasher be available in stores?
corex
I love that I'm reading the manual before the module hits. That's awesome! SlayerBadger!
intellijel
geremyf wrote:
kisielk wrote:

I'm glad they are available but also disappointed they aren't the cool black PWB panels with the intellijel robot!

I got those made for testing purpose but if people want them I could probably make some more.
intellijel
peteone wrote:

Jellysquasher and Boombox are both done but we have been so busy with Rainmaker that we got behind on those. They have already started to roll out to some stores.
astromooses
intellijel wrote:
peteone wrote:

Jellysquasher and Boombox are both done but we have been so busy with Rainmaker that we got behind on those. They have already started to roll out to some stores.

Excited to hear that, hope Detroit Modular gets some in soon. Was there word on whether the new module face plates will be available for purchase? The new Atlantis face plate looks so clean.
praffensperger
I'm hoping that the new 7U cases will be available in 104 HP.
Hovercraft
praffensperger wrote:
I'm hoping that the new 7U cases will be available in 104 HP.

I'd buy two of the new 7U cases and a gaggle of 1U modules if it was offered in 104HP. Downgrading to 84HP cases isn't an appealing option for me.
Fiddlestickz
Sorry if this has been asked before but on the Intellijel site there is no mention or pics of the new 7U cases ..?? is there a price and date they will be up in the store, want a Boombox also but they are still coming soon..??
exper
Fiddlestickz wrote:
Sorry if this has been asked before but on the Intellijel site there is no mention or pics of the new 7U cases ..?? is there a price and date they will be up in the store, want a Boombox also but they are still coming soon..??

Yes, all of that I guess was pushed a little to get the Rainmaker out first. Both the boombox and jellysquasher are now listed on Cobtrol's website as coming soon.

As for the 7u, not sure if final price was announced, but I'm sure it's also being released very soon. It's worth the wait though, they really though of everything with this case. The shoulder strap that clicks into place, the fold up legs with adjustable height, build in handle, beautiful lid... It's a really smart and aesthetically pleasing design.
johnwynberg
intellijel wrote:
peteone wrote:

The Jellysquasher appears now in stock at Cymru Beats. Very tempting, but after buying a Rainmaker and Just Friends, I'm broke. Any news about the manual, to read it in the meantime?

Also, I think the Jellysquasher deserves it's own thread, but I can't remember if there is one already. I tried searching for it, but I'm getting no results, what makes me suspect the search engine is not working yet.
Fiddlestickz
exper wrote:
Fiddlestickz wrote:

Yes, all of that I guess was pushed a little to get the Rainmaker out first. Both the boombox and jellysquasher are now listed on Cobtrol's website as coming soon.

As for the 7u, not sure if final price was announced, but I'm sure it's also being released very soon. It's worth the wait though, they really though of everything with this case. The shoulder strap that clicks into place, the fold up legs with adjustable height, build in handle, beautiful lid... It's a really smart and aesthetically pleasing design.

Sounds exactly what I want, my Tax return will be going on this should there be one available somewhere for me to buy after July sometime...might have to pull my Metropolis and Atlantis out of my main case for the new one..
Fiddlestickz
johnwynberg wrote:
intellijel wrote:
peteone wrote:

The Jellysquasher appears now in stock at Cymru Beats. Very tempting, but after buying a Rainmaker and Just Friends, I'm broke. Any news about the manual, to read it in the meantime?

Also, I think the Jellysquasher deserves it's own thread, but I can't remember if there is one already. I tried searching for it, but I'm getting no results, what makes me suspect the search engine is not working yet.

there's no Jellysquasher on muffs that I can see when I do a google search, so perhaps someone can start one then..?
MvK
Id Love an intellijel 1U VCA module.

Should look like the Quadratt, also with a kaskading mixer. Maybe only 3 channels because every channel needs 3 jacks so 4 channels would be too wide.

I would use it in any patch :-)
Fiddlestickz
exper wrote:
Fiddlestickz wrote:

I cannot find anywhere where the price was announced, please give me some idea or ballpark figure..?? I'm figuring $700 / $1000 AUD so around $500/600 USD ..??

any hint of price would be appreciated..?
geremyf
Hmmm...I saw mention of an intellijel 7u case (though incorrectly listed at 104hp) for $619 US (power included) at one of the US sites today.

EDIT:
Here is the link:
http://controlvoltage.net/intellijel-104hp-7u-eurorack-case-w-power/dp  /2501
astromooses
What's the deal with some sites having a price difference for the Jellysquasher? Some are doing $379 whilst others are doing $349 (as listed on Intellijel's website). sad banana
Fiddlestickz
geremyf wrote:
Hmmm...I saw mention of an intellijel 7u case (though incorrectly listed at 104hp) for $619 US (power included) at one of the US sites today.

EDIT:
Here is the link:
http://controlvoltage.net/intellijel-104hp-7u-eurorack-case-w-power/dp  /2501

hmmm would'nt be relying too much on that ad tbh...I'll perhaps put a pre order in on the Itellijel site instead..I'm figuring close to $900 aud so I'm happy to pay that..
pitri
what measurements are those 7U cases? i have the feeling they wont fit airline luggage restrictions...
kisielk
312 mm x 165 mm x 445 mm with the lid
billyk419
just got an email from Danjel about the 7U cases. Seems they're ready, but they haven't put them on their site yet. Got the invoice this morning. $619 for case, lid, power, and strap.
MvK wrote:
Id Love an intellijel 1U VCA module.

Should look like the Quadratt, also with a kaskading mixer. Maybe only 3 channels because every channel needs 3 jacks so 4 channels would be too wide.

I would use it in any patch :-)

Agreed! A 1U VCA would be sweet.
exper
That would be nice, BUT, I'd love to see their 1u go into stuff that would either be difficult in 3u (like, a big row of touch controls or sequencer, an extended uStep with more channels and maybe 16steps, etc).

But the 1u they have now are great. The uMIDI is solid, quadratt is beyond handy since you can break down the mix even more (2x 2-1 mixing for instance).

It'll be interesting to see what's next. I can already see me adding another 7u attached to the first. Looks amazing.
Jondue
billyk419 wrote:
just got an email from Danjel about the 7U cases. Seems they're ready, but they haven't put them on their site yet. Got the invoice this morning. $619 for case, lid, power, and strap.

Any indication what the power specs are?
esoteric23
I got very, very excited when I saw 104HP on that Control Voltage listing. Alas.
kisielk
Jondue wrote:
billyk419 wrote:

Any indication what the power specs are?

It has our TPS80W power supply.
greenanother
I'm really interested in the red, metal, stand mechanism to tilt the case upwards. Will those be included or at least available at launch?
exper
greenanother wrote:
I'm really interested in the red, metal, stand mechanism to tilt the case upwards. Will those be included or at least available at launch?

It's already built in. Such a smart design too. 2 different angles possible. I think there's a different attachment for connecting 2 7u systems though.
greenanother
exper wrote:
greenanother wrote:

It's already built in. Such a smart design too. 2 different angles possible. I think there's a different attachment for connecting 2 7u systems though.

Sweet; thanks, exper!
kisielk
I've put a preliminary page and order link for the 7U cases on the website now:

https://intellijel.com/7u-cases/

More details and photos will be forthcoming.
greenanother
kisielk wrote:
I've put a preliminary page and order link for the 7U cases on the website now:

https://intellijel.com/7u-cases/

More details and photos will be forthcoming.

Sweet! Will these be shipping to stores like Control soon, or is our best bet to order direct?
kisielk
Some have shipped to stores already. Not sure about Control in particular, you should ask them.
greenanother
kisielk wrote:
Some have shipped to stores already. Not sure about Control in particular, you should ask them.

ok thanks thumbs up
Jamnuska
So the 7u are 84hp only or is that the only one on the site for now?

Any Cdn dealers getting them?
atrostor
Jamnuska wrote:
So the 7u are 84hp only or is that the only one on the site for now?

Any Cdn dealers getting them?

I think they mentioned in a Facebook comment that it was 84hp only, but that they might consider a 104hp version in the future.
kisielk
Only 84 hp for now.
Jamnuska
kisielk wrote:
Only 84 hp for now.

crap

Don't do the Facepalm thing.
Thanks. I think you guys need to go wide.
oscillateur
Argh, the retailer I preordered from got some of those but apparently there's just one busboard for the whole case.

I'd need something like 30 connectors to fit all my modules waah

Seriously wondering if I should get this one or not now, it's perfect apart from that but 20 connectors for 6U is just not enough very frustrating
oscillateur
Would it be safe/ok to connect a passive busboard (4ms bus stick for example) to one of the Intellijel's connectors in order to be able to fit more than 20 modules in that case ?

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who has an average module width of less than 8.4 HP...
kisielk
oscillateur wrote:
Would it be safe/ok to connect a passive busboard (4ms bus stick for example) to one of the Intellijel's connectors in order to be able to fit more than 20 modules in that case ?

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who has an average module width of less than 8.4 HP...

It's possible but you would lose some benefits of the star grounding configuration of the power supply.

You could install a second power supply in the case and chain it off the TPS80W. There's second set of power lugs on the board for this purpose. So long as both supplies are under the 90W limit of the power brick, or you get a power brick which is of a higher rating but still fits the same connector.
Fiddlestickz
oh wow those cases are beautiful, my metropolis and Atlantis will look gorgeous in that...
oscillateur
kisielk wrote:
oscillateur wrote:

It's possible but you would lose some benefits of the star grounding configuration of the power supply.

You could install a second power supply in the case and chain it off the TPS80W. There's second set of power lugs on the board for this purpose. So long as both supplies are under the 90W limit of the power brick, or you get a power brick which is of a higher rating but still fits the same connector.

Thanks for the answer. I'll get a 4ms Bus Stick with the case, then. The power is more than enough for my needs, it's just about the number of connectors. I'll make sure to put modules that could benefit from the star grounding on their own sockets (Pamela's Workout, etc.).

I like small modules, the total count for the 7U will probably be at least 30...
Jondue
I picked up a 4U 104HP case from Control Voltage last night. So far, I love it! My only minor complaint is that it didn't come with a cord to connect the power brick to an electrical socket in the wall. I'm sure there's a reason, but it would have been nice to know ahead of time so I could be prepared with a spare cord.

Trivial complaint aside, it looks great, it sounds great, and feels solid. Nicely done Intellijel smile
greenanother
Do the 7u cases have audio input/output built in, or does one need to purchase the 1u module separately?

Edit: more specifically, I'm speaking about the 1/8 in. input/output module (I know there are 1/4 ins/outs on the top of the 7u).
kisielk
greenanother wrote:
Do the 7u cases have audio input/output built in, or does one need to purchase the 1u module separately?

The jacks are built in to the case. The modules must be purchased separate. This is so if you buy multiple cases you don't necessarily have to have multiple audio and MIDI interfaces that you don't need.
greenanother
kisielk wrote:
greenanother wrote:

The jacks are built in to the case. The modules must be purchased separate. This is so if you buy multiple cases you don't necessarily have to have multiple audio and MIDI interfaces that you don't need.

Got it; thanks.
exper
greenanother wrote:

On the back are audio IO, midi and USB, as well as power inlet and switch. So you won't need those extra 1u modules.
greenanother
exper wrote:
greenanother wrote:

On the back are audio IO, midi and USB, as well as power inlet and switch. So you won't need those extra 1u modules.

Except for the smaller 1/8 in/out 1u module like you have in your rack (so you don't need a 1/4 to 1/8 cable adapter or if you want to say connect audio out from an ipad for instance). Right?
exper
greenanother wrote:
exper wrote:
greenanother wrote:

Except for the smaller 1/8 in/out 1u module like you have in your rack (so you don't need a 1/4 to 1/8 cable adapter or if you want to say connect audio out from an ipad for instance). Right?

Right. 1/4 inch on back. You'll still need the audio io module.
kisielk
greenanother wrote:
exper wrote:
greenanother wrote:

You still need to buy the Audio I/O 1U and µMIDI 1U modules. They can connect to the jacks on the rear so you don't need the corresponding Audio I/O Jacks 1U and µMIDI Jacks 1U modules.
Seaweed Sound
Are the power connectors of Intellijel 1U standard euro headers or Futaba style connectors?

What is the vertical height measurement from the ground to top of case when the case is propped up on the attached legs (like in the photo on the website: https://intellijel.com/7u-cases/)?

Thanks in advance
kisielk
mangobob wrote:
Are the power connectors of Intellijel 1U standard euro headers or Futaba style connectors?

What is the vertical height measurement from the ground to top of case when the case is propped up on the attached legs (like in the photo on the website: https://intellijel.com/7u-cases/)?

Thanks in advance

Standard euro headers. The maximum height when propped up is either 18cm or 20cm, depending on which angle the feet are at (there are two positions).
tFunk
What are those 3 holes on the sides for? Just aesthetic function or they should be used to connect two case?
exper
tFunk wrote:
What are those 3 holes on the sides for? Just aesthetic function or they should be used to connect two case?

Front and back are for attaching strap or connector, center releases the built in legs.
oscillateur
Regarding the audio in/outs, it would be great to have a small 1U module with just 4 jacks that connect to the ones in the case and do fixed gain amplification/attenuation from modular level to line level. Perfect to interface with effect pedals, mixers, etc. without using much space.
Fiddlestickz
not to be pedantic but a small demonstration or something done in pictures showing how the case and the 1U modules and in outs on the case work would be awesome, as of now I'm slightly confused if i buy a case do I still need to grab the 1u in out tiles to have access to those or how does it work..?
kisielk
Fiddlestickz wrote:
not to be pedantic but a small demonstration or something done in pictures showing how the case and the 1U modules and in outs on the case work would be awesome, as of now I'm slightly confused if i buy a case do I still need to grab the 1u in out tiles to have access to those or how does it work..?

The case doesn't include any modules, so if you want to use the audio or MIDI/USB jacks you will need to buy the modules that provide front panel access to those.
Jondue

Just posted on the Intellijel Instagram.
taylor12k
i started this thread with such lust over the new intellijel stuff, that i figure i'd proudly show my new intellijel-only system that just arrived from danjel i couple of days ago! i can say, that even though i have a large Goike case with all sorts of modules in it, having a smaller, focused, portable, couch-able, built-in speaker system is super inspiring and is really making me learn new things about the modules that i moved from the big case into here (atlantis & metro)... and i can say, the rainmaker is absolutely wonderful. really enjoying this so far:

from my instagram feed: https://www.instagram.com/taylor12k/

the module rundown is:

TILES:
in/out
MIDI
quadratt
usb power

MODULES:
unity mixer
metropolis
quadra
polaris
uVCA
boombox
dixie II
atlantis
rainmaker
Hovercraft
Your couch looks like a large boulder, but that's one very cool system. thumbs up
taylor12k
sacrifices had to be made...

Hovercraft wrote:
Your couch looks like a large boulder, but that's one very cool system. thumbs up
Fiddlestickz
kisielk wrote:
Fiddlestickz wrote:

The case doesn't include any modules, so if you want to use the audio or MIDI/USB jacks you will need to buy the modules that provide front panel access to those.

perfect thanks...
Fiddlestickz
Taylor that case and system is sooooo fuggen cool, I'm going to build mine to be rather similar, in fact I've already built it on Modular grid, I have the Atlantis and Metrop, so I'm half way there..will get a case in a months time when I've accumulated enough cash, takes me two paychecks or one months wages including lots of overtime to afford the case but just look at it, it's art..!!
taylor12k
indeed... i'm a sucker for the visual. and the looks alone is worth the price of admission..

intellijel has changed their panel layouts slightly and their new panels are a new material now, a paler aluminum like the Mutable modules.

i ordered new faceplates for my atlantis and metro from danjel to make sure all of the modules matched the look of the new ones i ordered. he has new faceplates for almost all of the existing modules, even older stuff like the uVCA... so i made sure that every panel in this system matched.

i feel like i made a good choice in modules. i didn't want the Jellysquasher, but i knew i had to include the Boombox... removing the Jelly allowed me room for the Polaris and uVCA, which are very useful, obviously.

Fiddlestickz wrote:
Taylor that case and system is sooooo fuggen cool, I'm going to build mine to be rather similar, in fact I've already built it on Modular grid, I have the Atlantis and Metrop, so I'm half way there..will get a case in a months time when I've accumulated enough cash, takes me two paychecks or one months wages including lots of overtime to afford the case but just look at it, it's art..!!
geremyf
Oh we can order the new panels now? Excellent.
exper
Taylor that looks incredible. I made my 7u into a faux easel configuration, but looking at yours has me reconsidering going with a full Intellijel 7u.

How do you like the boom box? Does it sound good?

Here's my 7u (for now):

Jondue wrote:

Just posted on the Intellijel Instagram.

applause

Love this concept. I need to expand and have been debating the 7U versus 2x4Us. Might just get one 4U 104 now and one later, especially if there is a way to distribute power between them (mentioned in the facebook post).
taylor12k
that looks great!

i briefly considered a keyboard as well, but chose against it for two reasons... 1, it wasn't intellijel and i really wanted to keep the look consistent.. and 2, takes up so much space... so i made sure i had MIDI for a keyboard, but i also have a keith macmillan CV keyboard thingy if i really need one.

i tend to make generative, ambient things, so the keyboard isn't quite as important to me.

i DO like the boombox! i had made a nifty little minimal techno thing with the Polaris self-oscillating as a kick drum and it was surprisingly beefy coming out of the speaker.

i do notice hiss coming from it, but that's OK... i also like to mic and record built in speakers for their more lo-fi sound, so i don't mind some hiss for that reason.

i guess keyboard or not really depends on how you want to use the system.. no right or wrong, fortunately! Rockin' Banana!

exper wrote:
Taylor that looks incredible. I made my 7u into a faux easel configuration, but looking at yours has me reconsidering going with a full Intellijel 7u.

How do you like the boom box? Does it sound good?

Here's my 7u (for now):

taylor12k
... i do have some concern that the metal intellijel case will get scratched up pretty easily. i do plan on flying with this case, domestically, as a carry-on from time to time.. we'll see how it holds up..
exper
Ha, I'm not much of a kb player either, but I do have fun with the arp latching and pressure. Probably not going to keep it though. Wish there was something else like pressure points, but better. And from rom Intellijel. smile

I mainly built this up as a system for my wife to use when she has the urge to be in the studio with me. Otherwise it sits next to my main 12u so that it all gets cross patched anyway.
Jondue
Those are some sexy 7U cases! Really loving my 4U case, I defintely planning on getting another 4U or 7U later on and can already tell it's going to be a tough decision. Secretly hoping there will be some sort of lid add-on for the 4U, not holding my breath though.

Super curious to see what developments occur in the 1U module world. Might be nice to see non-utility modules. 1U noise/random? 1U oscillator?
taylor12k
there's definitely some 1U i'd like to see from intellijel:

VCA
LFO/random
NOISE
USB STICK WAV FILE PLAYER
exper
taylor12k wrote:

VCA
LFO/random
NOISE

Definitely a small noise/s&h. Preferably in 8-10 hp for the last open space I have. 6hp would be killer though, so that I could squeeze in the USB 1u as well. smile

for sample playback, there's this for now:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unknown-radiomusic-1u
taylor12k
whoa, that radio music is half-tempting! i have four of the regular ones... too bad it's so big, though.. they could have squeezed it down it seems (but maybe not, i'm not an engineer)

put some intellijel knobs on there and it may blend in (minute the italic font....)

exper wrote:
taylor12k wrote:

VCA
LFO/random
NOISE

Definitely a small noise/s&h. Preferably in 8-10 hp for the last open space I have. 6hp would be killer though, so that I could squeeze in the USB 1u as well. smile

for sample playback, there's this for now:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unknown-radiomusic-1u
oscillateur
I got my 7U case yesterday. Just a few quick comments :

- It does look really good, and the mechanisms for the retracting feet and strap are super nice.

- The power supply seems to be great but there are far too few connectors for a 7U case. I bought a 4ms Bus Stick that I connected to one of the connectors and put beneath the top row, which gives me 32 connectors instead of 20.

- The case material can get scratched easily it seems, mine already had some scratches on the back side. I'm hoping Intellijel will make a soft case for these, this would be a great solution.

- The legs are super useful to get a nice angle when used on a desk for example. I'll probably use a small guitar stand to get a greater angle and have another case just underneath but it's nice to be able to have options like that without needing other gear.

- The un-keyed headers on the power supply are actually a better idea than I thought.

After plugging all my modules in the case and turning the power on I got the very bad surprise of smelling burnt components and even seeing a bit of smoke. I turned everything off right away and checked the modules and power supply. It turned out to be one module I bought a couple of years ago and never used so far because it needed +5V (my other case does not supply that), and that module had a keyed header but with the -12V on the opposite side (i.e. not the red stripe). I had wrongly assumed it was -12V on the red stripe and the module doesn't work now. All my other modules and the case seem fine though, which is a relief.

But if I had noticed that stupid header before I could still have used this module in the case because of the un-keyed headers on the distribution board.

Overall I'm really satisfied with the case so far, the strap + handle make it easy to carry around, it looks good, has a nice cover and some smart features.

I just wish there were more power connectors in it. 20 is not enough for a 7U case. I get that Intellijel didn't want to put 2 distribution boards to keep prices low enough and because their power supply has star grounding/etc. it wouldn't make sense for them to add a simple thing like the Bus Stick as I did, but it's something they should advertise a bit more. I was convinced the thing would have two busboards until the retailer I bought it from showed me photos...

Also if you have a Makenoise STO and plan to use it in this case, you'll have to put it either on the top row or completely on the left or right of the bottom row, because the cable header on the STO is located exactly above the cable headers on the power board and this makes the module just a bit too deep to fit.

Anyway, this is a really nice case and a big step up compared to my previous one (Pittsburgh Cell)...
SamUK
Anyone got a photo of the new Shapeshifter panel?
exper
Oscillateur, do you have a modulargrid representation of why you need 30 + connectors?!

I can't fathom needing anywhere near that much in 6u/84hp.

As for the guitar stand, if you go for another, they connect together into a 12u configuration. You won't need an extra stand.
oscillateur
exper wrote:
Oscillateur, do you have a modulargrid representation of why you need 30 + connectors?!

As for the guitar stand, if you go for another, they connect together into a 12u configuration. You won't need an extra stand.

The full 7U should end up more or less like this (ignore the last row, these would be extra modules) :
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/287770

That's 27 modules, with enough space for one or two + a few 1U ones...

The additional Bus Stick works well for me, I'm just glad my local retailer (Clockface Modular) had some in stock...

I'll use a guitar stand to put a case with a Yamaha Reface YC and a bunch of effect pedals just under the modular. But yeah, these joiner things are well thought, I'd be all over that if I had plans for another case smile.
exper
oscillateur wrote:
exper wrote:

The full 7U should end up more or less like this (ignore the last row, these would be extra modules) :
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/287770

That's 27 modules, with enough space for one or two + a few 1U ones...

The additional Bus Stick works well for me, I'm just glad my local retailer (Clockface Modular) had some in stock...

I'll use a guitar stand to put a case with a Yamaha Reface YC and a bunch of effect pedals just under the modular. But yeah, these joiner things are well thought, I'd be all over that if I had plans for another case smile.

Ah, you went 4hp crazy! Functionally dense, which is great. For me, over time I went with more wider modules. I like the wiggle room. wink
intellijel
oscillateur wrote:
The case material can get scratched easily it seems, mine already had some scratches on the back side. I'm hoping Intellijel will make a soft case for these, this would be a great solution.

We are in process of prototyping a low cost neoprene sleeve for them.
oscillateur
intellijel wrote:
oscillateur wrote:
The case material can get scratched easily it seems, mine already had some scratches on the back side. I'm hoping Intellijel will make a soft case for these, this would be a great solution.

Excellent, I'll get one of those then smile.
taylor12k
yeah, i'd probably take one, too... would be a shame to see the beautiful case scratched up after a flight or two...

intellijel wrote:
oscillateur wrote:

Gordon Cole
oscillateur wrote:

- The power supply seems to be great but there are far too few connectors for a 7U case. I bought a 4ms Bus Stick that I connected to one of the connectors and put beneath the top row, which gives me 32 connectors instead of 20.

I agree 100% - it was baffling to see this case released this way since Intellijel pride themselves on low hp modules. I prefer Dixies to Rubicons. I prefer multiple uVCA to Linix. I prefer multiple Triatt to Mutamix. Prefer uVCF to Dr. Octature.

Its modular, and euro - the dominant trend is fitting as much function into as small a package as possible, while being as flexible as possible. So why release a 7u case that cannot accommodate this? I have a great system set up for 7u but fall way short of power connectors (but not power - since none of these modules take large draw).

All of the preview systems they have shown tend to reflect this - full of metropolis / atlantis / rainmaker - newer large hp modules as opposed to the smaller, more flexible ones that they built the line upon.
Fiddlestickz
this is how I plan to put mine together...

nothing too wild but seriously usable...will be cross patched with my other 3 cases most days, but can come on holiday with me when I go see the family up the coast.. cool
oscillateur
Gordon Cole wrote:
oscillateur wrote:

I agree 100% - it was baffling to see this case released this way since Intellijel pride themselves on low hp modules. I prefer Dixies to Rubicons. I prefer multiple uVCA to Linix. I prefer multiple Triatt to Mutamix. Prefer uVCF to Dr. Octature.

Its modular, and euro - the dominant trend is fitting as much function into as small a package as possible, while being as flexible as possible. So why release a 7u case that cannot accommodate this? I have a great system set up for 7u but fall way short of power connectors (but not power - since none of these modules take large draw).

All of the preview systems they have shown tend to reflect this - full of metropolis / atlantis / rainmaker - newer large hp modules as opposed to the smaller, more flexible ones that they built the line upon.

Well, for what it's worth everythng works fine so far with the Bus Stick. The only downside is that the modules connected to the Bus Stick do not benefit from star grounding etc. I just make sure to plug any module that I suspect could have noise/bleeding/etc. issues on their own connector (Pamela's workout or other digital modules for example).

You basically have to factor in an additional $40 if you want to have more than 20 modules in this case.
exper
Too bad I can't send you my extras. I'm not even using half of my power connectors. wink

I actually think most people wanted to move away from 'as small as possible' modules. I for one happily swapped my Mki Dixie for an MKii and a Rubicon. I also went from a Mutamix to a Dubmix and expander, etc.

In fact in my 12u, 104 hp case, there's 20 connectors per 6u and plenty leftover.
greenanother
exper wrote:

In fact in my 12u, 104 hp case, there's 20 connectors per 6u and plenty leftover.

Speaking of 104 hp...I noticed that your modular grid layout for the 7u went from 84 hp to 104 hp (no, I'm not stalking you). Any chance intellijel gave you the tip on an upcoming 104 hp 7u? seriously, i just don't get it
exper
greenanother wrote:
exper wrote:

Speaking of 104 hp...I noticed that your modular grid layout for the 7u went from 84 hp to 104 hp (no, I'm not stalking you). Any chance intellijel gave you the tip on an upcoming 104 hp 7u? seriously, i just don't get it

Ha, no. Those are just some extra module have that I need to figure out where to put. Most likely selling the uMIDI since I have the 1u version, and I preordered the new o'tool+ even though I really shouldn't have. wink

I am rearranging the pseudo easel layout of my 7u though. It's going to be an all Intellijel setup with the metropolis and rainmaker, more of a standalone system so that I can focus of getting to know the rainmaker, and also be a couch/patio system.
greenanother
exper wrote:
greenanother wrote:
exper wrote:

Ha, no. Those are just some extra module have that I need to figure out where to put. Most likely selling the uMIDI since I have the 1u version, and I preordered the new o'tool+ even though I really shouldn't have. wink

I am rearranging the pseudo easel layout of my 7u though. It's going to be an all Intellijel setup with the metropolis and rainmaker, more of a standalone system so that I can focus of getting to know the rainmaker, and also be a couch/patio system.

ha, yeah-I hate when all of the "extra" modules get lumped at the bottom. am working on various configurations too (keyboard is a seaboard linked to the fh-1 and fh-x expander).

Edit again (updated pic):

noisejockey
Hey 7U owners: What kind of mounting do those cases have (sliding nuts vs threaded rails), and what screw size? Couldn't find that via search...
exper
noisejockey wrote:
Hey 7U owners: What kind of mounting do those cases have (sliding nuts vs threaded rails), and what screw size? Couldn't find that via search...

Threaded inserts, 3mm.
noisejockey
exper, thanks. That's great news. Wish you hadn't told me that, as that has my finger over the order button in my Intellijel cart. :-)
exper
noisejockey wrote:
exper, thanks. That's great news. Wish you hadn't told me that, as that has my finger over the order button in my Intellijel cart. :-)

Do it! It's an amazing case.

(I know. I'm an enabler.) hihi
greenanother
exper wrote:
noisejockey wrote:

You ARE! Dead Banana I'm just waiting for Control to get them...but maybe I should just do it now Dead Banana
dkbax
I don´t really get using up all of that HP for a small speaker.
noisejockey
greenanother wrote:
exper wrote:
noisejockey wrote:

You ARE! Dead Banana I'm just waiting for Control to get them...but maybe I should just do it now Dead Banana

Dammit, exper. Order placed directly with Intellijel - I've got a Mannequins "easel" set up but I'm not loving the 6U Bento Box it's in.

C',mon, greenanother, misery loves company. :-)
exper
dkbax wrote:
I don´t really get using up all of that HP for a small speaker.

Portability, convenience, feedback fun with a microphone, etc. if I end up with a second 7u I'll definitely get one or two.
greenanother
noisejockey wrote:
greenanother wrote:
exper wrote:
noisejockey wrote:

Dammit, exper. Order placed directly with Intellijel - I've got a Mannequins "easel" set up but I'm not loving the 6U Bento Box it's in.

C',mon, greenanother, misery loves company. :-)

haha! yup, so close help
jdkee
I'd like a sleeve for my case. I just use it around the house, along with an Art for the Ears 6U, to house my current module selection. The aluminum is lightweight and fantastic looking until you get a few scratches in it. I'm really not worried about dents since the aluminum is relative thick (unlike my Macbook Pro).

What might be better than neo is a adhesive backed thick, transparent plastic. Three pieces for the base and three for the lid. Something with a cool robotic schema/logo on it.

Just my two and a half cents.
dmuirw
Jellysquasher looks rad. Hows the sound quality compared to high end compressors??

What do you think of it??
cheliosheart
So taylor12k's picture looks to confirm it will fit but just curious - the Boombox depth is listed as 75mm but the 7u case max depth is 70mm??

Seriously thinking about building a quasi isms system but with the Intellijel case. Something like this:

kisielk
cheliosheart wrote:
So taylor12k's picture looks to confirm it will fit but just curious - the Boombox depth is listed as 75mm but the 7u case max depth is 70mm??

Seriously thinking about building a quasi isms system but with the Intellijel case. Something like this:

The Boombox is 57mm, I guess dyslexia kicked in when putting that info on its page smile
cheliosheart
Sweet! Thanks!
maltemark
jdkeel i agree with your idea. seems a better option

great case btw, will get another one of the 104hp one
debolish
Recently moved from the IJ 4u 104hp to the 7u 84hp case. I bring mine to and fro work daily. Excellent build quality and portability. Also ran into a power connector shortage. IJ recommended adding their tps30 mini, chaining the DC voltage input to it, or alternatively flying bus cables would work, but to be aware of potential ground noise with certain modules. I racked my deeper modules in the top 3u row as the power supply is directly under the bottom 3u row. Overall, I'm very pleased with the case and can't wait to add another 7u to my set up! :-)

noisejockey
I am super duper digging my 7U Intellijel case.

It shipped with an ungronded Meanwell PSU that made my Sputnik keyboard very sad. Danjel cross-shipped a different one that works perfectly, so über-kudos to killer customer service there. One USB tile powers a Sound Devices USBPre for headphone output and limiting, and the other powers a USB light.

This build made me wish there were a few smaller 1U tiles. I may not get a lot of use out of the µMIDI tile, and would love a teensy mixer or another Quadratt, but at 28hp, the Quadratt's kind of huge. But, I bought in to this format because of Intellijel's rep and the promise of more tiles in the future, so I suppose I'll just have to be patient. Something Eurorack people aren't so good at. screaming goo yo
Libra
Yeah I definitely want to see some more tiles. Would dig a mm filter in 1u
greenanother
noisejockey wrote:
It shipped with an ungronded Meanwell PSU that made my Sputnik keyboard very sad. Danjel cross-shipped a different one that works perfectly

Do tell more...by PSU, do you mean adapter by any chance? And if so, which one (assuming it's grounded)?

Also wondering if Danjel's accomodation of your situation means he is having second thoughts about these adapters seriously, i just don't get it

I really wanted one of these cases, but currently have a make noise shared system case (empty) on order because of this whole Meanwell fiasco. Can't part with Rene This is fun!
maltemark
Tiles, yes! Flip-flop, gate combiners, oscilloscope, slews, switches, (wmd/ssf toolbox style things)
noisejockey
greenanother wrote:
noisejockey wrote:
It shipped with an ungronded Meanwell PSU that made my Sputnik keyboard very sad. Danjel cross-shipped a different one that works perfectly

Do tell more...by PSU, do you mean adapter by any chance? And if so, which one (assuming it's grounded)?

Also wondering if Danjel's accomodation of your situation means he is having second thoughts about these adapters seriously, i just don't get it

I really wanted one of these cases, but currently have a make noise shared system case (empty) on order because of this whole Meanwell fiasco. Can't part with Rene This is fun!

*tsk*, yes, poor word choice on my part: I meant the power adapter/transformer/in-line road bump o' power.

Don't sweat the adapters too much; there are Meanwells that ARE grounded, and a bajillion alternatives (sold as laptop power supplies). Just ask your retailer or the manufacturer of your case. It's just a matter of sourcing the right one to work with the modules you have. The power adapter type should not be a barrier to ownership.
noisejockey
maltemark wrote:
Tiles, yes! Flip-flop, gate combiners, oscilloscope, slews, switches, (wmd/ssf toolbox style things)

Oooh, seeing the components of the Plog pulled out into tiles would be killer.
exper
noisejockey wrote:
maltemark wrote:

Lots of possibilities really. Simple effects, LPGs, maybe a horizontal souled up uStep, etc. for now though, I'd love a small headphone out to fit in the last space after a uMIDI, Quadratt and Audio IO.
huffnPuff
Why are these cases so susceptible to scratches? Isn't the aluminum anodized?
debolish
+1 on the headphone out!

exper wrote:
noisejockey wrote:
maltemark wrote:

Lots of possibilities really. Simple effects, LPGs, maybe a horizontal souled up uStep, etc. for now though, I'd love a small headphone out to fit in the last space after a uMIDI, Quadratt and Audio IO.
greenanother
nevermind meh
danielrdehaan
I just got myself one of these beautiful 7u cases and I love it...but it does scratch way too easily.

So I put a layer of adhesive frosted plastic I had leftover from an unrelated project on both the cover and the case itself.

http://www.tapplastics.com/product/window_films/window_tint_films/fros ted_window_film/324

It took a lot of measuring and careful application to get it all done right, but now I can't even tell the case has plastic on it and best of all...NO SCRATCHES!!

If you have one of these cases and are afraid of scratches I would highly recommend doing this to yours.
jdkee
+++1 on headphone out. Maybe with both 1/8" and 1/4" and a simple volume knob.
jdkee
[img][/img]
jdkee
Larrea
noisejockey wrote:
One USB tile powers a Sound Devices USBPre for headphone output and limiting...

Genius! Thank you! As a USBPre owner, you just made my day. This will solve a couple problems, and let me free up 6hp more in my 3U section.
dmuirw
I have tested the Jellysquasher and its by far the best compressor in Eurorack. It has 3 different flavors of sound and is very musical. Definitely a great purchase and is a very usefull tool for sidechaining and giving that extra oomf. It would of been nicer if it was stereo.

Ohh well. Nice job !!
intellijel
dmuirw wrote:
I have tested the Jellysquasher and its by far the best compressor in Eurorack. It has 3 different flavors of sound and is very musical. Definitely a great purchase and is a very usefull tool for sidechaining and giving that extra oomf. It would of been nicer if it was stereo.

Ohh well. Nice job !!

Great to hear you are enjoying it!

We thought about making it stereo but the module would be significantly bigger due to the size of transformers we are using.
The coloring circuits might also mess up the stereo imaging a bit so this style of compressor and features were best suited to a mono signal chain.

We would definitely consider making a sister module that is stereo and had a slightly different feature set that was better suited for stereo processing.

On a side note you can link two Jellysquashers together using the Link i/o jacks.
dmuirw
Thanks for the direct reply from the man himself!! Sweet
dmuirw
How about I buy One and get the second half off?
That sounds like a great solution!!!!

It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time! Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana! applause applause hihi hihi seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it Guinness ftw! Guinness ftw!
Mosiej
where on earth is the manual for the jellysquasher? i've owned it for months now lol
dmuirw
I agree, there is still others that don't have one as far as I know. Shouldn't that be manditory?
natureclubcassettes
These 7u cases are amazing looking.
Larrea
natureclubcassettes wrote:
These 7u cases are amazing looking.

Agreed.

I wish I knew when more were arriving. I've got case juggling to do and would sorely love one right now.
dmuirw
What cases?
kisielk
We have a limited quantity of b-stock 7U cases available direct from https://intellijel.com/7u-cases/ for a discounted price.

Most of them have some light scratches on the lid.
supersuper
I think its really great that you made a wonderful durable and portable case. Also the range of modules would allow one to stay with a single maker but still have a great variety.

One gripe is you need to better explain how the 1u modules line up with the equipment on the back of the 7u case. I think it would be good to explain it on the site and give some suggested 1u tiles configurations. You also need a smaller multiple tile just saying
kisielk
supersuper wrote:
I think its really great that you made a wonderful durable and portable case. Also the range of modules would allow one to stay with a single maker but still have a great variety.

One gripe is you need to better explain how the 1u modules line up with the equipment on the back of the 7u case. I think it would be good to explain it on the site and give some suggested 1u tiles configurations. You also need a smaller multiple tile just saying

Thanks for the suggestion. The 7U page (https://intellijel.com/7u-cases/) describes which modules connect to the rear panel. Is there a way you think this could be made clearer or more information offered?

A smaller multiple would just be a single mult, at which point you might as well just use a hub.

We'll have a lot more interesting modules to fill the space that will be announced soon smile
absolve
kisielk wrote:
We'll have a lot more interesting modules to fill the space that will be announced soon smile

Eagerly waiting that announcement. The 1U portion of my case is currently empty waiting to see what kind of new coolness I can fill it up with.
MvK
I'd love to have a simple mixbus system in 1U. One Small single channel per module to be freely placed wherever you want it but connected at the back to a master module (Mix and Aux-bus). Versions with or without CVin for the VCA. The master module could be 3U.

Design should be as simple as possible and good sounding :-)
damase
I was just daydreaming about how awesome it would be to have the left side of rubicon in an 8 HP module. Ive had to boot rubi from my live case for space reasons, but its sound i miss its so nice on my ears. If it could also have the soft sync+attenuator thatd be awesome too but not a dealbreaker. Id cut out the fancy outputs for Sine/Square only to save space.

Ive also had the daydream before of a Rubicon that was a dual sine osc, prewired for TZFM fun. A TZ "synth voice" with included EG and VCA

Btw i love Rubicon smile
B-ry
Chiming in a bit late......

I am in love with the performance case.

Super functional, lightweight, stackable.....

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 18