MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

AQA Elektrix
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author AQA Elektrix
Roy72
Has anyone got any experience with these modules? Love the colour scheme

They have a very nice looking 24db special run filter as Schniedersladen, and the rest of them look the business too.

(I did try a search first).

Btw, no connection.
Opnotic
What the heck.. where did these come from? They have a module that converts stereo to mid/side (and back again). -And the panel work does look nice!
DSC
Was completely unaware of these.
Roy72
This one: http://www.schneidersladen.de/en/aqa-24db-cascade.html

Anyone have one?
ben_hex
I was unaware of these too. Funny how some things just crop up with no marketing, no presence or anything.

One question for those looking how can a module split a left and right signal into a single mid and side. Be the very nature of stereo the left and right can be different so summing those to a single "side output" doesn't work. I get that the side is the differences present in the side and not what is the same (i.e, the mono portion).

Take for example a 3 part mix. Let's say ...
- Drum all mono panned center
- Bass all panned left
- Guitar all panned right

Having an L R input to M S would mean the stereo L R input becomes a M output with just drums (that's the mono signal in both the left and the right) and a single S output that is the difference. But the difference is now both the guitar and the bass. Summing those two down to a single mono signal.

Seems strange to me hmmm.....
brickman
Not the best quality video....

That dual filter sounds like it has some mojo..

nangu
ben_hex wrote:
One question for those looking how can a module split a left and right signal into a single mid and side. Be the very nature of stereo the left and right can be different so summing those to a single "side output" doesn't work. I get that the side is the differences present in the side and not what is the same (i.e, the mono portion).

- Bass all panned left

Having an L R input to M S would mean the stereo L R input becomes a M output with just drums (that's the mono signal in both the left and the right) and a single S output that is the difference. But the difference is now both the guitar and the bass. Summing those two down to a single mono signal.

Seems strange to me hmmm.....

In the Side signal, the L and R are out of phase with each other- one is inverted. When you decode back to stereo, everything returns to where it should be in the stereo field. Except for whatever interesting things you've done in the meantime, of course. It could be a lot of fun to do this stuff in the modular..
ben_hex
nangu thanks.

That makes sense getting rid of the mono signal. But I'm not seeing how that retains separate Left and Right information with a single mono SIDE signal.
nangu
ben_hex wrote:
That makes sense getting rid of the mono signal. But I'm not seeing how that retains separate Left and Right information with a single mono SIDE signal.

It seems kind of crazy, but it works perfectly.

Here's a mid-side Nord G2 patch:

Pitch Shift on the Mid, Phaser on the Side. Sounds like a hot mess with the effects on. It's actually pretty cool, but I'm aware that this kind of drastic processing blurs things quite a bit.

Once I put the Pitch Shifter and Phaser in bypass mode, then the Mid and Side level knobs work just like they're supposed to..
flashheart
ben_hex wrote:
nangu thanks.

Best thing is to try it smile
Bear in mind you still have to send both signals Mid + Side vs L + R. You're not reducing the amount of information you're sending,
Quote:
- Bass all panned left
Having an L R input to M S would mean the stereo L R input becomes a M output with just drums

You're suggesting summing to mono would leave just the drums - but this isn't what would happen. The mono signal (L+R) must still contain the guitar and bass. If it didn't panning anything to extreme L or R would make it disappear in mono, fortunately it doesn't.

Mono = L + R, side = L - R. L and R are 2 mono signals too
Sadly it's that dreaded Maths...
L = Mono (L + R) + Side (L - R) gives you 2 x L
R = Mono (L + R) - Side (L - R) gives you 2 x R.

Been used since the start of stereo, side to side motion of your stylus is mono while vertical movement is the difference.
ian-c
Roy72 wrote:

Anyone have one?

i've got one.
really nice module. described to me as being "very german" in character, meaning very precise, but still a really cool filter that you can get some very nice (dirty) sounds out of.

and they are a limited edition of 15 i believe, which is kind of cool.
double filter due out soon though, if you missed this one.

i've also got the triple envelope.
matttech
I believe Cymru Beats in Cardiff, uk are stocking these if anyone's after them thumbs up
flo
Here is a big thread on MS: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18459&postdays=0&pos torder=asc&start=0

Hinton has a (prototyped) module and there's a DIY option by Stab Frenzy thumbs up

It's an extremely useful technique in so many respects...
A.S.
i happened to come accross one on ebay last week.

really looking forward to trying it. i'm not sure what would be a proper price, no reference, but i put in a good bid and was lucky enough to win.

the demo i heard sounded really nice and it's a great design.

how is the triple envelope? it looks great, but seems to be nothing more that 3 normalised adsr's - like an intellijel dual adsr x 1,5 ?!

ian-c wrote:
Roy72 wrote:

Anyone have one?

i've got one.
really nice module. described to me as being "very german" in character, meaning very precise, but still a really cool filter that you can get some very nice (dirty) sounds out of.

and they are a limited edition of 15 i believe, which is kind of cool.
double filter due out soon though, if you missed this one.

i've also got the triple envelope.
sihiL
ben_hex wrote:
nangu thanks.

There's a mid-side microphone technique that uses a figure of eight-microphone as the side signal. It's two mono inputs, the other one's a cardioid mic and the other one's a figure of eight, pointed to the sides. A good fig-8 has only one diapghram with a positive side and a negative side, usually the positive side faces left and the negative side faces right. The different things happening on either side of the fig-8 are recorded as positive changes and negative changes. The mono signal with the side information is duplicated and the other side is inverted, and only then you get actual stereo image. The stuff that the side signal has in common gets nulled out, and only the differences between the sides remain.
ben_hex
Ah yeah I remember getting shown that at university, completely forgotten about until you mentioned it. You invert the phase of the right side and leave the left side normal (side signals are both the figure of 8 mic).

It's making sense now, cheers!
A.S.
Roy72 wrote:

Anyone have one?

i got it today - what a great module.
nicely built, sturdy pots/knobs, great response to knobs and cv in and what a great sound, nice tight filter. this one breathes quality and looks really nice too.

there's only one drawback - wishlist extended with more Aqa modules.
curious to see if anyone has any experience with the triple LFO and/or dual delay in particular.
MindKind
Just noticed a new oscillator from them.

http://www.aqaelektrix.com/index.php/products/up73rvco

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/aqa-elektrix-up73r-vco
Roy72
The cv sync is interesting, but it's at the top end of the price spectrum, partciularly for a single osc. Would love to hear some demos.

Edit: stacks here: https://soundcloud.com/aqaelektrix
MvK
can anyone say something about the Osc? found a sc playlist here but would love to hear some thoughts.

https://soundcloud.com/aqaelektrix/sets/up73r-vco

I recently got the cwejman qmmf-4 and since then I'm infected by this level of precision. Now I want to extend my rig with an Osc of similar precision and was leaning towards the cwejman VCO-6. But as it's hard to come by I thought the Aqa might be suitable. The CV-sync is tempting. Any thoughts on this?
Roy72
You're in Berlin, I think Schnieders stock them? And aren't AQA there too? Why not contact them?

I'd be interested to hear some hands on experience
MvK
Roy72 wrote:
You're in Berlin, I think Schnieders stock them? And aren't AQA there too? Why not contact them?

I'd be interested to hear some hands on experience

just came back from schneiders, they have all aqa modules next to each other, tried the osc for an hour or so. Its never easy to really try it out there because it is very dependent on which modules are in the particular rack, and in the Aqa rack there was only one Osc so I used the sine of the selfoscillating filter to try out fm and sync. FM is great! Sync also, but I wouldn't say its representative because I believe the results are better when a saw wave is used. But still the treshold gives you a lot of sonic possibilities. I would say the Osc is precise but not cold, very versatile. The multiturn knob feels great.

But to really find out if its the right thing for me I'd have to test it in far more different contexts.

I learned another thing: Don't place modules with trimpots at the edge of a doepfer case :-)

The whole Aqa electrics modules are very tempting. The feeling of quality is among the best i know. (am using cwejman also) Actually the delay module is the first eurorack delay I've tried that didn't piss me off.

With all of their modules I've got the feeling that they give you a very high quality basis. On that basis its more about your imagination than the imagination of the engineer. As opposed to some other brands.

Also knob placement is great.

Next time I ask schneiders to put some secondary osc into that rack.
calaveras
Checked out there gear at the MiM in NY a week or two ago. Really impressive stuff. There was more than one thing they had that made me want to start planning a new case.
Roy72
It's good to hear about the quality, they seem to be aiming at the top end, like Cwejman. To me, the obvious comparison to the AQA oscillator is the Kilpatrick Master, which has complex PWM capabilities rather than sync, and is triangle core, but aims for a lot of sonic variation in a single, classic format oscillator.
WaveRider
well I just got the triple EG.

the output levels of the EGs greatly varies from EG to EG....

I taught that there were some level switches in the back (+5V, +8V, +10V)...
but no! no switches, not trimpots.

...not impressed. And mad, considering the price.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3