MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

RK2
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author RK2
aux.tech
So what's up with this new module? All I've seen is what was posted on Matrix Synth...

"Among them was the RK2 XSVCA. It’s not just a VCA, but has distortion, feedback and out-of-phase outputs among other features. The marketing material is everything we have come to know and love from Metasonix."
Yes Powder
HORSECOCK
aux.tech
ElectricNoises wrote:
HORSECOCK

My bad, only looked at that topic when it first came out. Horsecock it is!
HypatiasAngst
I messed with it briefly at NAMM. It's angry.
You know they had 2 at NAMM I'm regretting not begging them to let me run them in series.

I need 2 of them.
KNYST
Interesting module.

current draw?
depth behind panel?
KNYST
A demo would be sweet... Just saying... The Agonizer!
metasonix
sorry i have been traveling for the past 2 weeks and too busy. gave the prototypes to Big City and Analogue Haven so don't have one finished yet. Please try to be patient.

(Did I mention that one of my board stuffers is dying of cancer? Well, he is. And it is delaying everything. Sorry.)
KNYST
I see. Looking forward to hear it in action, whenever it's ready.

No need for an apology - that's terrible news about your employee. :(
metasonix
FINALLY today we had time to make a couple of demos of the RK2 processing various signals.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/metasonix/rk2demowithkaossilator[/s]

[s]https://soundcloud.com/metasonix/rk2demor54seq-drummach[/s]
metasonix
From the April issue of Electronic Musician. No cock or horse.
thefutureeaters
Sounds awesome. Got a spot ready for it!
snakejaw
Looks great! I love my R-51. Pondering my next Metasonix purchase. Eric, how does the RK2 differ from one of the channels in the R-57?
metasonix
snakejaw wrote:
Eric, how does the RK2 differ from one of the channels in the R-57?

Totally different. R57 has a lot more gain, RK2 has stereo out and bizarre distortion effects.
snakejaw
Thanks! Decisions, decisions...
snakejaw
Sorry! One more question. How much max power does the RK2 need?
metasonix
snakejaw wrote:
Sorry! One more question. How much max power does the RK2 need?

300 mA from +12, very little from -12. All that juice runs the tube heater.
starf
Will this fit in a Doepfer travel case (P6 / P9) with lid closed? hmmm.....
The tube seems quite long.
metasonix
starf wrote:
Will this fit in a Doepfer travel case (P6 / P9) with lid closed?

No idea. Tube is about 60mm from front panel to tip (varies from sample to sample). Ask Doepfer how high their lids are. You can always pull the tube out of the socket to close the lid.
snakejaw
Has anyone bought an rk2 and had a chance to test it? If so, any impressions? Thanks!
HypatiasAngst
snakejaw wrote:
Has anyone bought an rk2 and had a chance to test it? If so, any impressions? Thanks!

I played it at NAMM with an s2000 I think. It gets angry. I'll check if I have an IG post of it.

rough vid from NAMM

I don't think this sells it though haha. I'll find out if I took another. NAMM was loud
HypatiasAngst
snakejaw wrote:

The Offset is neat. It lets you open up the filter all the way, so you get the massive gain and let's you try out the distortion knob.

Still screwing with input volume, but it is as what it sounds like. And with all metasonix stuff, I recommend playing around with it until it works for your sound. (Lower input volume is more of the hiss which has. A neat stereo effect)

Which leads me two the twin outputs. Had it running hard panned left and right, you get some really nice stereo field warping as you adjust the distortion knob.

As for driving the CV I jacked in a Korg sq-1. Set to 5v on the range. Still deciding which range I like the most, but this was most immediately workable.

Haven't tried with audio inputs other than a critter&guitari bolsa bass (to see how it worked fully open). And then I had a repeating open / close pattern on the sq-1 when I had it running on my electro Faustus drone thing (6 channel osc).

Biggest take away. It's LOUD (clipping my recording interface) I might put something in front of it to bring it down... However I also don't care smile . Distortion is nice. Need to try it with more than straight pitches. And the stereo field is going to be fun to mess with.

When I get a chance. Snare rolls are the next thing to get smashed.
metasonix
More demos from Mr. Angst:
Quote:
There's more coming but here are 2 percussion tests. smile

Doing my synths later today, then i'll hit guitars/basses when i sort out my envelope follower situation.

Percussion Test + Out of sync Gate signal..
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xi23gguqw34zuq1/METASONIX_DEMO_XSVCA_KorgEle ctribeEsMkII%20-%204%3A23%3A16%2C%208.36%20AM.aif?dl=0

L/R channel are the outputs from the RK2
Center channel is the source signal from 0:00-0:06, and 0:39-0:49 to show stacking with the effect.
Between 0:28-0:50 I have a gate signal coming from my Future Retro Mobius (not set to the same steps as the drum machine), running into the Moog CP-251, lag processor set to 0/0 respectively, then into the attenuator at about +2.5-3 V.

---

Percussion Test #2 + Out of Sync Gate Signal
https://www.dropbox.com/s/be8alcpns9dm0vt/METASONIX_DEMO_XSVCA_Electri beMkII_Demo2%20-%204%3A23%3A16%2C%209.45%20AM.aif?dl=0

L/R channels are out the outputs from the RK2
Center Channel is the source signal from 0:00-0:06, 0:11-0:16, 0:25-0:28, 0:35-0:39,
Between 0:16-0:28 same chopped up set of gate CVs,
Then this is the fun one. From 0:40 - 1:14 this bounced the rk2 to a cassette deck and back to show compression.
HypatiasAngst
12 tracks up. More coming, i'll update the thread as i add them in groups.
Still on my todo list is to set up my kenton pro solo, to my microKorg, and use my tm-3 as a keyboard. i'll contrast it with the tm-1 as a vca, for science.

https://soundcloud.com/anatoliasfinest/sets/metasonix-rk2-xs-vca-horse

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/playlists/218774925" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
aux.tech
Thanks for the variety of demos.
HypatiasAngst
aux.tech wrote:
Thanks for the variety of demos.

Gladly there's going to be more stuff coming. Haha and someone is working on a dance remix of one of them already, I'll get that posted too when it's mixed so you can hear the RK2 in a mix.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3