MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

RK2
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix  
Author RK2
aux.tech
So what's up with this new module? All I've seen is what was posted on Matrix Synth...

"Among them was the RK2 XSVCA. It’s not just a VCA, but has distortion, feedback and out-of-phase outputs among other features. The marketing material is everything we have come to know and love from Metasonix."
Yes Powder
HORSECOCK
aux.tech
ElectricNoises wrote:
HORSECOCK


My bad, only looked at that topic when it first came out. Horsecock it is!
HypatiasAngst
I messed with it briefly at NAMM. It's angry.
You know they had 2 at NAMM I'm regretting not begging them to let me run them in series.

I need 2 of them.
KNYST
Interesting module.

current draw?
depth behind panel?
KNYST
A demo would be sweet... Just saying... The Agonizer!
metasonix
sorry i have been traveling for the past 2 weeks and too busy. gave the prototypes to Big City and Analogue Haven so don't have one finished yet. Please try to be patient.

(Did I mention that one of my board stuffers is dying of cancer? Well, he is. And it is delaying everything. Sorry.)
KNYST
I see. Looking forward to hear it in action, whenever it's ready.

No need for an apology - that's terrible news about your employee. :(
metasonix
FINALLY today we had time to make a couple of demos of the RK2 processing various signals.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/metasonix/rk2demowithkaossilator[/s]

[s]https://soundcloud.com/metasonix/rk2demor54seq-drummach[/s]
metasonix
From the April issue of Electronic Musician. No cock or horse.
thefutureeaters
Sounds awesome. Got a spot ready for it!
snakejaw
Looks great! I love my R-51. Pondering my next Metasonix purchase. Eric, how does the RK2 differ from one of the channels in the R-57?
metasonix
snakejaw wrote:
Eric, how does the RK2 differ from one of the channels in the R-57?

Totally different. R57 has a lot more gain, RK2 has stereo out and bizarre distortion effects.
snakejaw
Thanks! Decisions, decisions...
snakejaw
Sorry! One more question. How much max power does the RK2 need?
metasonix
snakejaw wrote:
Sorry! One more question. How much max power does the RK2 need?

300 mA from +12, very little from -12. All that juice runs the tube heater.
starf
Will this fit in a Doepfer travel case (P6 / P9) with lid closed? hmmm.....
The tube seems quite long.
metasonix
starf wrote:
Will this fit in a Doepfer travel case (P6 / P9) with lid closed?

No idea. Tube is about 60mm from front panel to tip (varies from sample to sample). Ask Doepfer how high their lids are. You can always pull the tube out of the socket to close the lid.
snakejaw
Has anyone bought an rk2 and had a chance to test it? If so, any impressions? Thanks!
HypatiasAngst
snakejaw wrote:
Has anyone bought an rk2 and had a chance to test it? If so, any impressions? Thanks!


I played it at NAMM with an s2000 I think. It gets angry. I'll check if I have an IG post of it.

rough vid from NAMM


I don't think this sells it though haha. I'll find out if I took another. NAMM was loud
HypatiasAngst
snakejaw wrote:
Has anyone bought an rk2 and had a chance to test it? If so, any impressions? Thanks!


The Offset is neat. It lets you open up the filter all the way, so you get the massive gain and let's you try out the distortion knob.

Still screwing with input volume, but it is as what it sounds like. And with all metasonix stuff, I recommend playing around with it until it works for your sound. (Lower input volume is more of the hiss which has. A neat stereo effect)

Which leads me two the twin outputs. Had it running hard panned left and right, you get some really nice stereo field warping as you adjust the distortion knob.

As for driving the CV I jacked in a Korg sq-1. Set to 5v on the range. Still deciding which range I like the most, but this was most immediately workable.

Haven't tried with audio inputs other than a critter&guitari bolsa bass (to see how it worked fully open). And then I had a repeating open / close pattern on the sq-1 when I had it running on my electro Faustus drone thing (6 channel osc).

Biggest take away. It's LOUD (clipping my recording interface) I might put something in front of it to bring it down... However I also don't care smile . Distortion is nice. Need to try it with more than straight pitches. And the stereo field is going to be fun to mess with.

When I get a chance. Snare rolls are the next thing to get smashed.
metasonix
More demos from Mr. Angst:
Quote:
There's more coming but here are 2 percussion tests. smile

Doing my synths later today, then i'll hit guitars/basses when i sort out my envelope follower situation.

Percussion Test + Out of sync Gate signal..
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xi23gguqw34zuq1/METASONIX_DEMO_XSVCA_KorgEle ctribeEsMkII%20-%204%3A23%3A16%2C%208.36%20AM.aif?dl=0

L/R channel are the outputs from the RK2
Center channel is the source signal from 0:00-0:06, and 0:39-0:49 to show stacking with the effect.
Between 0:28-0:50 I have a gate signal coming from my Future Retro Mobius (not set to the same steps as the drum machine), running into the Moog CP-251, lag processor set to 0/0 respectively, then into the attenuator at about +2.5-3 V.

---

Percussion Test #2 + Out of Sync Gate Signal
https://www.dropbox.com/s/be8alcpns9dm0vt/METASONIX_DEMO_XSVCA_Electri beMkII_Demo2%20-%204%3A23%3A16%2C%209.45%20AM.aif?dl=0

L/R channels are out the outputs from the RK2
Center Channel is the source signal from 0:00-0:06, 0:11-0:16, 0:25-0:28, 0:35-0:39,
Between 0:16-0:28 same chopped up set of gate CVs,
Then this is the fun one. From 0:40 - 1:14 this bounced the rk2 to a cassette deck and back to show compression.
HypatiasAngst
12 tracks up. More coming, i'll update the thread as i add them in groups.
Still on my todo list is to set up my kenton pro solo, to my microKorg, and use my tm-3 as a keyboard. i'll contrast it with the tm-1 as a vca, for science.

https://soundcloud.com/anatoliasfinest/sets/metasonix-rk2-xs-vca-horse

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/playlists/218774925" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
aux.tech
Thanks for the variety of demos.
HypatiasAngst
aux.tech wrote:
Thanks for the variety of demos.


Gladly there's going to be more stuff coming. Haha and someone is working on a dance remix of one of them already, I'll get that posted too when it's mixed so you can hear the RK2 in a mix.
HypatiasAngst
A couple more things going on here,

Korg Electribe EA-1 / Critter&Guitari BolsaBass doing melody
Korg Electribe ES-1 mk II, percussion

I built a "horse centipede" out of

TM-3 -> TM-6 -> RK2.
Pitch CV from the FutureRetro Mobius
VCA CV from the Mobius, fed into the mixer and lag processor on the Moog CP-251,
Then duplicated and sent to the Resonance CV on the TM-6.

then in a later pass the mikuStomp was sent through the RK-2

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/260752411" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
metasonix
Ha ha, suck it Miku!
weinglas
HypatiasAngst wrote:
A couple more things going on here,

Korg Electribe EA-1 / Critter&Guitari BolsaBass doing melody
Korg Electribe ES-1 mk II, percussion

I built a "horse centipede" out of

TM-3 -> TM-6 -> RK2.
Pitch CV from the FutureRetro Mobius
VCA CV from the Mobius, fed into the mixer and lag processor on the Moog CP-251,
Then duplicated and sent to the Resonance CV on the TM-6.

then in a later pass the mikuStomp was sent through the RK-2

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/260752411" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]


So great! Miku sounds like a japanese girl shouting in a hardcore band we're not worthy
HypatiasAngst
weinglas wrote:

So great! Miku sounds like a japanese girl shouting in a hardcore band we're not worthy


Haha. Doesn't she? She sits so well! Blame the HORSE
aux.tech
HypatiasAngst wrote:
weinglas wrote:

So great! Miku sounds like a japanese girl shouting in a hardcore band we're not worthy


Haha. Doesn't she? She sits so well! Blame the HORSE


Yes, I agree! This has some serious grit to it.
HypatiasAngst
Did a functional remix for these guys' game.
Their original melody blasted to shit by the RK2, sequenced by Korg sq, then followed with a fast kick from the electribe.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/263364030" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
smirnow
Hi,

I have Doepfer A-100P9 case. Is it possible to close the cover with RK2 instaled inside (the tube is quite long so I have some objections)?
metasonix
PMed back
zerosum
RK2 is teh Brutalz!! headbang

Kujo
zerosum wrote:
RK2 is teh Brutalz!! headbang



SlayerBadger! are you running the kick and the noise/hat through the RK2 ? SlayerBadger! that sounds fire.
Mosiej
Does the Volume CV input control Both the Feedback and the Input amplitude? or just the volume .. my horse cock is in the mail MY ASS IS BLEEDING very frustrating
thetwlo
zerosum wrote:
RK2 is teh Brutalz!! headbang



DAMN!!! them some sultry shits!!!
Mosiej
Thought I'd share this thing's potential. Very pleased, especially how it reacts to bass

RK2-XS-VCA = Lead Vocalist

Sine wave -->fm-->rk2

https://soundcloud.com/beverly1/beverly-toe-topful
metasonix
Nice work, thanks!
HypatiasAngst
Mosiej wrote:
Thought I'd share this thing's potential. Very pleased, especially how it reacts to bass

RK2-XS-VCA = Lead Vocalist

Sine wave -->fm-->rk2

https://soundcloud.com/beverly1/beverly-toe-topful


This is filthy. Awesome. I like it!
Mosiej
thanks for the encouragement will post more soon !
kiddcabbage
Picked up an RK2 earlier this week. Wanted to throw something down to get a feel for how it might fit into a mix. I started with it real subtle to warm up a sine wave sub bass, and eventually just destroyed the sound with it.

It's all just a fucking sine wave, haha. So rad.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/286283789" params="color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments= true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false" width="100%" height="166" iframe="true" /]
Kujo
kiddcabbage wrote:
Picked up an RK2 earlier this week. Wanted to throw something down to get a feel for how it might fit into a mix. I started with it real subtle to warm up a sine wave sub bass, and eventually just destroyed the sound with it.

It's all just a fucking sine wave, haha. So rad.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/286283789" params="color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments= true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false" width="100%" height="166" iframe="true" /]


I like how it starts out as a subtle stain and then moves on to nicely abuse the hell out of it !
Chartreuse-J
Here is the R55 through the RK2, some pretty damn sick Hendrix feedback in there somewhere.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/jason-m-9/mesco22[/s]
metasonix
SlayerBadger! nanners
Mosiej
Another track featuring the RK2 VCA. Just got back from a crazy trip around Turkey and needed to blast off.

RK2 can be heard at 2:30 and onward, before its a Sherman. I used the MMF-1s to to slightly filter the RK2. Its a live track with no post-editing or eqing whatsoever so embrace the mistakes and ruff transitions

https://soundcloud.com/beverly1/beverly-times-crevasse-take-1/s-SDK8k
HypatiasAngst
Mosiej wrote:
Another track featuring the RK2 VCA. Just got back from a crazy trip around Turkey and needed to blast off.

RK2 can be heard at 2:30 and onward, before its a Sherman. I used the MMF-1s to to slightly filter the RK2. Its a live track with no post-editing or eqing whatsoever so embrace the mistakes and ruff transitions

https://soundcloud.com/beverly1/beverly-times-crevasse-take-1/s-SDK8k


i love how filthy that gets
Mosiej
anyone else picking up radio signals with some settings on the Rk2?

I noticed it especially when the cable was loose on the input signal and would touch me. Not a complaint, more of a curiosity.
ookrsia
Unfortunately the RK2 is sold out all over Europe and many Metasonix resellers don't even list the module as unavailable. I wonder if there are more coming or is this the end of this module?
EPTC
ookrsia wrote:
Unfortunately the RK2 is sold out all over Europe and many Metasonix resellers don't even list the module as unavailable. I wonder if there are more coming or is this the end of this module?


AH still has em (or has one or some left)
http://www.analoguehaven.com/metasonix/rk2xs-vca/

- wonderful wicked module, very worth it
ookrsia
EPTC wrote:
ookrsia wrote:
Unfortunately the RK2 is sold out all over Europe and many Metasonix resellers don't even list the module as unavailable. I wonder if there are more coming or is this the end of this module?


AH still has em (or has one or some left)
http://www.analoguehaven.com/metasonix/rk2xs-vca/

- wonderful wicked module, very worth it


But that's in the USA right? Seems complicated to order from that far away.
metasonix
ookrsia wrote:
Unfortunately the RK2 is sold out all over Europe and many Metasonix resellers don't even list the module as unavailable. I wonder if there are more coming or is this the end of this module?

They are still available. More were sent to Schneider last week, check with them in a few days.
ookrsia
metasonix wrote:
ookrsia wrote:
Unfortunately the RK2 is sold out all over Europe and many Metasonix resellers don't even list the module as unavailable. I wonder if there are more coming or is this the end of this module?

They are still available. More were sent to Schneider last week, check with them in a few days.


Thanks a bunch! Can't wait to get my first Metasonix.
Worwell
RK2/R-53 patch with Piston Honda, Benjolin, Shapeshifter and Morpheus.

FA
For those of you who have done some recording with the RK2, do you think I would need some kind of attenuation before sending the output to my interface?

My recording interface has a Maximum Input Level of +22 dBu.
metasonix
FA wrote:
For those of you who have done some recording with the RK2, do you think I would need some kind of attenuation before sending the output to my interface?
My recording interface has a Maximum Input Level of +22 dBu.

The absolute maximum an RK2 can put out is 20v peak-to-peak which is about +19 dbu. So, it should be no problem.

What brand and model interface, and is it high-Z input or 600 ohms? The RK2 might have a problem driving a 600-ohm input.
FA
The Interface is a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. The full specs for the Line Level inputs are copy/pasted from their own specs below.

Thanks for getting back to me!



Line Inputs

Frequency Response

20 Hz - 20 kHz ± 0.1dB

Dynamic Range

106 dB (A-Weighted)

THD+N

<0.003% (minimum gain, -1dBFS input with 22Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)

Maximum input level

+22 dBu

Gain Range

50 dB

Impedance

52k Ω
Dragonaut
Can anybody hip me to how much the initial draw this baby will have on my power supply? I know some of these horsecocks can draw as much as twice their coasting power when you fire up.
metasonix
Dragonaut wrote:
Can anybody hip me to how much the initial draw this baby will have on my power supply?

What kind of supply do you have?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix  
Page 1 of 3
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group