MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Expressive Touche
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Expressive Touche
Paranormal Patroler

I would love to check this out, especially with FM synthesis and/or physical modelling I think this would be great. Paired with a VL70m/VL-1 or TX81z this could be killer in terms of expression.

Less than $500, available later this year.
x2mirko
I love their promo-video

applause
GovernorSilver
Looks like it would pair nicely with my OP-1. Also great for keyboard players who find the Roli controllers a bit too weird.
Infrablue
Paranormal Patroler wrote:

I would love to check this out, especially with FM synthesis and/or physical modelling I think this would be great. Paired with a VL70m/VL-1 or TX81z this could be killer in terms of expression.

Less than $500, available later this year.

You are so correct, this is ideal for VL70m. This device is something arising from the pressure button on the Ondes Martenot (.com controllers have such a button as well), though this Touche has more than just pressure and it seems to really translate human expression well.

I do a lot of wind synthesis, and this sort of controller can approximate quite well those kinds of expression (though with me, my right hand works better for it).

Just kind of messing around I tried out a comical but effect approach to this type of pressure expressing using a squeeze bulb to "inflate" or "blow into" a CV breath controller. In the end of the video I even play it on the left side like this one. But again, only pressure, not the great side to side etc of this new instrument.

I thought my holding-in-the-hand-playing-the=ribbon approach may be great, but it's not... testing I found it kind of cramps up the hand and is not so ideal. But the side pressure thing is a known great approach with the Ondes Martinet and this Touche will be great I think.

Also... it's a huge value to have the expression pad be fully independent of the individual keys. This lends to a smooth expression and phrase across the keys, rather than a shaping per-note.

An ideal approach with such expression is to feed a saw or overtone-heavy tone through a low pass filter and have the expression... Touche or what-ever to open that filter, which is closed when expression is zero. You'll hear that in my vid here and the Touche demo...

I'd really love to get a Touche! Pretty awesome. The side to side and crossfading of the upper and lower pressure is just astounding. I do also like solid touch over rubber (like on the Roli).

thresholdpeople
Wow! I find Ciat Lonbarde barres very expressive, and this adds a few extra dimensions of control to that concept.
Dcramer
Imma git one for CV and lick it cool
Paranormal Patroler
Infrablue wrote:
You are so correct, this is ideal for VL70m.

I wouldn't know where to map what, but I'm going to find out as soon as these become available.
wednesdayayay
honestly these seem like they would be awesome foot controllers

a modular footboard with 2 configurable foot switches (latching/not) two expression pedals and two of these touche controllers would be great
Captain Sternn
Seems like a really great product! Just wondering what it might be like to shrink them down and have an entire keyboard made of little ones. Dead Banana
GovernorSilver
wednesdayayay wrote:
honestly these seem like they would be awesome foot controllers

Especially if you play barefoot.

It's sensitive to finger position so it should be sensitive to toe position as well.
usw
The resolution of these controllers seems outstanding, it's very much like a multidimentional version the "touche d’intensité" found in the Onde Martenot eek!
Phil999
seems a great additional controller. Good idea, with reference to the wonderful Ondes Martinot electronic instrument where control is superior in a way to normal monophonic keyboard synths.

Another idea is to wipe the dust off of (game-) controllers that may lay around in a corner. With (mostly) freeware tools it is possible to translate gamepad and joystick axes to MIDI with high resolution. They're analog controllers, and actually quite interesting for electronic music. No wonder there are modules with big arcade game buttons as trigger source.

A good option are the controllers from 3dconnexion. 6 axis control with one knob. A beta driver enables virtual mouse/keyboard/joystick, which can be translated into 6 CC MIDI events, which in the end can be used with a multi-output MIDI-CV interface.
kisielk
I tried this at NAMM and it was pretty awesome. Very sensitive and precise control, easy to play percussively by drumming on the top of the surface. There's 4 CV outputs on the back, one for pressure on the top part of the controller, one for the bottom half, and one each for moving it left and right. The finish on the case is also very nice, feels "organic" for lack of a better word. Combined with the wood on top it feels more akin to using an acoustic instrument instead of an electronic one. It would make a great accessory for a modular synth.
Paranormal Patroler
Phil999 wrote:
A good option are the controllers from 3dconnexion. 6 axis control with one knob. A beta driver enables virtual mouse/keyboard/joystick, which can be translated into 6 CC MIDI events, which in the end can be used with a multi-output MIDI-CV interface.

Are you talking about these ?

http://www.3dconnexion.eu/products/spacemouse/spacenavigator.html

Let's say I got one of those, how would I go about translating the mouse info to MIDI ? I'd need to write my own drivers.
hdd
the sensibility looks awesome,
I seriously need something like this for my modular.. sounds like the control out of it make the sound so alive
_seph
i am definitely buying one of these. for me, this was perhaps the most exciting debut at NAMM
GovernorSilver
Damn, now I have GAS for a Pro 2.
mckenic
Phil999 wrote:

Let's say I got one of those, how would I go about translating the mouse info to MIDI ? I'd need to write my own drivers.

Dont know of a Win alternative - http://steim.org/product/junxion/
wednesdayayay
osculator
controllermate
will also most likely do what you need
Paranormal Patroler
mckenic wrote:
Phil999 wrote:

Sweet!
Hanz
Yes, this looks very interesting.
I was already looking for a Ondes Martenot style 'button' but this seems to take the idea significantly further.
Just hoping they won't go too close to 500 euro, that would be approaching the 'pain threshold' for me.
Carci
I went to try a prototype with my microbrute and 6U of eurorack.
It was great !

I was able to find percussive attacks and the vibrato I've only experienced with the Ondes Martenot. Both very controllable and with this physical / mecanical dimension that makes it real and alive.

Can't say much but they thought about everything for modular use.

thumbs up
dkcg
mckenic wrote:
Phil999 wrote:

Sweet!

This works with a wide variety of controllers and joysticks. I used Steim to connect a wii controller to midi.
Infrablue
dkcg wrote:
mckenic wrote:
Phil999 wrote:

Sweet!

This works with a wide variety of controllers and joysticks. I used Steim to connect a wii controller to midi.

Had my eye on a Space Navigator for a long time, and it did come to mind when I learned more about the Touche. I still see myself getting a Touche as it seems they went out of there way to make it ultra sensitive and made for musical applications. That said... who knows.. the Space Navigator may be quite a good way to do this also and could be also nicely responsive.

A HUGE thing for me also is the double pressure zone with the Touche. Just brilliant frankly.

Saw this vid long ago of the Space Navigator...

_seph
Carci wrote:
I went to try a prototype with my microbrute and 6U of eurorack.
It was great !

I was able to find percussive attacks and the vibrato I've only experienced with the Ondes Martenot. Both very controllable and with this physical / mecanical dimension that makes it real and alive.

Can't say much but they thought about everything for modular use.

thumbs up

any mention on their availability or at least a narrower definition of "later this year"?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4