Pittsburgh Move 208 Power Supply Issues

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

cyberdine
Wiggling with Experience

Pittsburgh Move 208 Power Supply Issues

Post by cyberdine » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:00 pm

Hi Wigglers

I'm new to this forum, and fairly new to Eurorack. I bought an Elite Eurorack case a while ago and filled it up. Great case, works well, light, but aesthetically quite utilitarian. So for the next case, I went for a Pittsburgh Move 208, because the wood looks really nice. Hmm.

Unfortunately, I immediately ran into issues with the power supply when trying to install some modules.

I'm starting here with:

- 4MS QCD
- TipTop Audio Trigger Riot
- Make Noise Mysteron
- Intellijel Polaris
- Malekko heavy industry Mix 4

.. which should be well within the limits of the power supply for the case.

When I plug everything and and turn the power on, the modules power up for a second or so and then the power cuts out.

Looking at the board, the LED for the +12 V power turns off at the same time the modules power down. If I remove most of the modules then the power supply continues for much longer (and with just one, seems perfectly fine).

This is odd - it could be a fault with the case, or perhaps I am doing something wrong. I've been very careful to connect the ribbon cables in the right way. I've mailed PGH support so maybe they will have an easy answer, but I wondered whether anyone here had experienced this issue before. I've searched the forums and not found anything directly on point, but if this has been answered before and I've not found it, my apologies.

Thanks
James

erstlaub
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by erstlaub » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:04 pm

That sucks. Plug your modules in one at a time, power on, repeat, rinse.

Just because the headers are keyed, doesn't mean it's right, ribbons can also sometimes be made backwards.

Turboblast
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Turboblast » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:07 pm

Do your self a favor and buy a new power supply. There is a reason their new cases have upgraded power.

erstlaub
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by erstlaub » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:19 pm

Turboblast wrote:Do your self a favor and buy a new power supply. There is a reason their new cases have upgraded power.
The bigger power supply still won't work of one of the modules is causing a short...

cyberdine
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cyberdine » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:30 pm

erstlaub wrote:
Turboblast wrote:Do your self a favor and buy a new power supply. There is a reason their new cases have upgraded power.
The bigger power supply still won't work of one of the modules is causing a short...
It's not the modules (un)fortunately. I've taken them all out and tested them individually in my other case, and they work fine. (Hey, it's meant that I've shuffled my rack around a bit, which is part of the fun).

What power supply would you recommend that I get, Turboblast?

algo
Common Wiggler

Post by algo » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:18 pm

What is the psu amp rating?

cyberdine
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cyberdine » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:35 pm

algo wrote:What is the psu amp rating?
Its 15V, 4.3 Amps.

erstlaub
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by erstlaub » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:47 pm

Have you tried them one at a time in the Pitts case too? Are you getting power lights (I assume its similar to most PSU/distro where there are status lights for +/- and 5v)?

cyberdine
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cyberdine » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:06 pm

erstlaub wrote:Have you tried them one at a time in the Pitts case too? Are you getting power lights (I assume its similar to most PSU/distro where there are status lights for +/- and 5v)?
Yes, I have and they all work fine individually, it's when more than one is in the case at once that there is an issue.

There are status lights, yes, and the issue is that the +12 V light goes out after the second module is in and then the modules power down.

Soy Sos
Dub Surgeon

Post by Soy Sos » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:11 pm

Folks will be just getting in from NAMM tomorrow. They'll get it sorted out asap

Turboblast
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Turboblast » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:23 am

The old Pitts power supplies were pretty crummy, luckily they have unusually bitchin customer support. They will make something good happen.

cyberdine
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cyberdine » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:33 pm

Thanks guys, fingers crossed. The case itself looks great and modules are easy to install in it (even if the screws are subtly different from the Elite case). So if I can fix the power supply issue, it will end up being a good investment.

cyberdine
Wiggling with Experience

Problem solved

Post by cyberdine » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:25 am

Just to round this chain out, PGH got in touch and expressed me a heatsink, which I installed on the busboard (no soldering required). That fixed the problem.

So, while the power issues sucked there was an easy solution and the case is now working well.

:party:

cyberdine
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cyberdine » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:39 am

spoke too soon. Problem has improved but power supply still cuts out.

yeti_jungle
Learning to Wiggle

Post by yeti_jungle » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:44 pm

Hey man, anything ever come of this? I'm finding that I overload my move 208 power supply much earlier than expected. Should be well with within the specs (1400 mA on +12 and -12) Modular grid shows me at:

Power Consumption: 1038 mA +12V | 429 mA -12V | 0 mA 5V

I had to remove several modules to get it to stop powering down.

bucketbrigade
Common Wiggler

Post by bucketbrigade » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:49 pm

I had similar issues with my 208. Was under 1400 mA (on modular grid, which to be fair I hear is not always accurate.) It would run fine for awhile and then sloooow down and power off.

I'm using a dark modular case with synthrotek power now and everything works great.

handsomepanther
Common Wiggler

Post by handsomepanther » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:31 pm

The QCD has a jumper for either using its internal 5V regulator or not. The default is set to INT which makes it draw more power from the 12v rail. Check it out in the manual maybe switching hat to EXT would help

From the manual:
Near the power connector is a 3-pin header with a jumper. Jumping the side marked "INT" will power the QCD from the +12V rail, using the internal regulator. Jumping the side marked "EXT" will power part of the QCD from the +5V rail.
When the QCD is in "EXT" mode, less current is drawn from the +12V rail, but if there is excessive noise on the 5V rail, it may cause the QCD to glitch. If you are experiencing glitching, try setting the QCD to "INT".
Factory setting is "INT" mode.

Radical Ans
Common Wiggler

Post by Radical Ans » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:09 am

cyberdine wrote:spoke too soon. Problem has improved but power supply still cuts out.
You may want to get a tube of CPU thermal paste and put it between the heat sink and the regulator. That'll allow the heat to transfer from the regulator to the sink more efficiently.

You'd be surprised how well that stuff works. I once built a load box for my bass amp and didn't use any at first and you could cook an egg on the power resistors after a half hour of playing. Put some thermal paste between them and the chassis and now they stay merely warm to the touch.

cyberdine
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cyberdine » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:05 am

In the end I got a replacement power board from Pitts which works well, and have had no more issues with it. But thanks Radical Ans, I reckon your solution would probably have worked too.

One thing I will say -- Pitts customer service was excellent.

yeti_jungle
Learning to Wiggle

Post by yeti_jungle » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:09 pm

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I need to contact Pittsburgh support.

Radical Ans
Common Wiggler

Post by Radical Ans » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:45 pm

cyberdine wrote:In the end I got a replacement power board from Pitts which works well, and have had no more issues with it. But thanks Radical Ans, I reckon your solution would probably have worked too.

One thing I will say -- Pitts customer service was excellent.
They actually did the same for me. Thankfully I just had to walk over to the shop and do it. They really are good folks over there.

JozeyWhales
Common Wiggler

Post by JozeyWhales » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:43 pm

Radical Ans wrote:
cyberdine wrote:spoke too soon. Problem has improved but power supply still cuts out.
You may want to get a tube of CPU thermal paste and put it between the heat sink and the regulator. That'll allow the heat to transfer from the regulator to the sink more efficiently.

You'd be surprised how well that stuff works. I once built a load box for my bass amp and didn't use any at first and you could cook an egg on the power resistors after a half hour of playing. Put some thermal paste between them and the chassis and now they stay merely warm to the touch.
I didn't buy a $599 case to apply "CPU thermal paste".

ultraviolet_waveform
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ultraviolet_waveform » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:57 pm

JozeyWhales wrote:
Radical Ans wrote:

I didn't buy a $599 case to apply "CPU thermal paste".
Its a quick fix for an expensive problem. How is that something to be upset about?

secretmusicuk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by secretmusicuk » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:09 am

bucketbrigade wrote:I had similar issues with my 208. Was under 1400 mA (on modular grid, which to be fair I hear is not always accurate.) It would run fine for awhile and then sloooow down and power off.

I'm using a dark modular case with synthrotek power now and everything works great.

Same problem here with my Move 208. How disappointing to be well under the expressed limit, and still run into those issues ! I'm buying a proper case next :bang:

yoyosandshoes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by yoyosandshoes » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:03 pm

I have also had this problem. After reading a couple of threads here i contacted Pittsburgh Modular and they promptly sent me a heatsink and some patch cables. Good service but disappointed in the product. I will install the heatsink and let you know how i get one.
I thought the Move 208 was selling cheaper than its peers too. I guess everyone knew something I didn't

Return to “Eurorack Modules”