intellijel Rainmaker

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Post Reply
User avatar
slowwild
Common Wiggler
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:44 pm
Contact:

Post by slowwild » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:30 am

InsectInPixel wrote:Has the Rainmaker been discontinued? It's been a long time since anyone has restocked.
Nope, not discontinued. Shipping them out as we make'em.

Also, new beta firmware over at the intellijel forum: https://forum.intellijel.com/t/rainmake ... dated/1551
slow wild, electric ropes
a boy at intellijel
https://slowwild.party

User avatar
Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3777
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:16 pm
Location: Oslo
Contact:

Post by Daisuk » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:06 pm

Rainmaker on the melody in this one. Damn, I love this module. 8-)

http://soundcloud.com/happyleaguecactus/vergangenheit

User avatar
Tonefloat01
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 309
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:06 pm
Location: Southern California

Post by Tonefloat01 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:03 pm

starthief wrote:
Pretty much the only thing you can't do, in terms of multitap, is individually adjust the time for each tap. There are a lot of groove options though..

Is this actually true..? You cannot set individual delay time per tap with the Rainmaker? :hmm:
I was looking at this module as a Eurorack alternative to a dedicated effects processor like an Eventide or Lexicon.
If you can’t set individual delay times per tap then that’s a deal breaker....
Selling: Radikal Technologies - Spectralis 2, Access Music - Indigo.

User avatar
starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3756
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:39 am
Location: St Louis, MO
Contact:

Post by starthief » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:23 am

The timing for each tap is scaled from the overall delay time. There are groove options (e.g. swing, accelerate etc.) so it's not necessarily on a strict grid, but you can't specifically set the delay time of each individual tap.

Also the tap "placement" in time is based on its tap number, so if you set up tap 7 with a particular gain, filter, pitch shift etc. and decide you want to move it a notch later, you need to duplicate your settings on tap 8 instead.
"music... a weird bunch of sounds that had no point but made things feel a little better"

starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

User avatar
Sleipnir
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 704
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:24 am
Location: Los Gatos, CA

Post by Sleipnir » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:13 am

Any thoughts on when the beta firmware will be ready for prime time?

OzAF
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:24 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Post by OzAF » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:23 am

READYdot wrote:I was totally in for this. But looking at it and trying to put my head around this, it seems this has so many options I have no idea what they do or what their purpose it. Seems to me like one of those pricey esoteric boutique studio effects, that only sound-engineers can put to good use. What totally killed it for me, is when in the NAMM demo video he shows how with pushing the trigger button it randomly changes settings. This somehow is not what I want from an expensive module, pushing one button until I get something I like, because I have no idea what all the other buttons do. I just seems like too much. I mean a lot of features are ok, but trying to make every single option available somehow kills usability... I don't know, I might be overreacting, but this doesn't seem like an "ease-of-use" candidate.

It's a bit like the Shapeshifter, I ended up selling, because I couldn't tame all its options..
I personally am more interested in the 4MS Tapographic Delay. Sure it has less features, but it can be learned much more quickly. You can quickly record your taps, and you're off. All the menus and the crazy number of controls scared me a way from the Rainmaker. Plus the rack space needed for it. since I travel and my rack space is limited.

User avatar
guigui
Common Wiggler
Posts: 234
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:00 pm

Post by guigui » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:00 pm

OzAF wrote:
READYdot wrote:I was totally in for this. But looking at it and trying to put my head around this, it seems this has so many options I have no idea what they do or what their purpose it. Seems to me like one of those pricey esoteric boutique studio effects, that only sound-engineers can put to good use. What totally killed it for me, is when in the NAMM demo video he shows how with pushing the trigger button it randomly changes settings. This somehow is not what I want from an expensive module, pushing one button until I get something I like, because I have no idea what all the other buttons do. I just seems like too much. I mean a lot of features are ok, but trying to make every single option available somehow kills usability... I don't know, I might be overreacting, but this doesn't seem like an "ease-of-use" candidate.

It's a bit like the Shapeshifter, I ended up selling, because I couldn't tame all its options..
I personally am more interested in the 4MS Tapographic Delay. Sure it has less features, but it can be learned much more quickly. You can quickly record your taps, and you're off. All the menus and the crazy number of controls scared me a way from the Rainmaker. Plus the rack space needed for it. since I travel and my rack space is limited.
I'm almost changing Rainmaker for it. But I'm not so sure what I'm loosing doing that.

User avatar
Sanys
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:02 pm
Location: Saint CV

Post by Sanys » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:12 pm

anyone thought of Verbos Multi-Delay Processor as a substitute

jmax313
Common Wiggler
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:42 am

Post by jmax313 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:15 pm

I thought someone mentioned that the last preset loads on start, but my rainmaker (has 1.09/142) does not do this, always starts at preset 1. :help:

depaffect
Common Wiggler
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:03 pm
Location: Melbourne

Post by depaffect » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:06 am

you need the beta firmware for that

jmax313
Common Wiggler
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:42 am

Post by jmax313 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:03 pm

I thought 1.09/142 is? Mine has it loaded

User avatar
damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1613
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:33 am
Location: Texas

Post by damase » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:39 pm

Sanys wrote:anyone thought of Verbos Multi-Delay Processor as a substitute
ive owned both at the same time
they are so far different... in sound, usage, interface, range, and results

fwiw i still own rainmaker, not the multidelay. i loved everything about the multidelay except it maxes out at 10ms fastest delay time which just wasnt fast enough for what i wanted to do with it. rainmaker never had a chance of leaving, although that ill say its much less “modular” than the multidelay, and is more of a self contained instrument imo

User avatar
Sanys
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:02 pm
Location: Saint CV

Post by Sanys » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:50 pm

thx, this is what i wanted to hear

depaffect
Common Wiggler
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:03 pm
Location: Melbourne

Post by depaffect » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:26 pm

jmax313 wrote:I thought 1.09/142 is? Mine has it loaded
oh yes sorry, that is the beta firmware, it is meant to load up last preset used!

peachesandbacon
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:27 pm
Location: Sydney

Post by peachesandbacon » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:05 pm

This looks glorious!

jmax313
Common Wiggler
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:42 am

Post by jmax313 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:53 am

depaffect wrote:
jmax313 wrote:I thought 1.09/142 is? Mine has it loaded
oh yes sorry, that is the beta firmware, it is meant to load up last preset used!
Mine doesn't!

depaffect
Common Wiggler
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:03 pm
Location: Melbourne

Post by depaffect » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:56 am

jmax313 wrote:
depaffect wrote:
jmax313 wrote:I thought 1.09/142 is? Mine has it loaded
oh yes sorry, that is the beta firmware, it is meant to load up last preset used!
Mine doesn't!
Updated mine to the beta firmware (on mac so it was a fairly hideous process)

However it does load up the last preset used on power up!

Strange that yours does not... you updated the FPGA too?

User avatar
slowwild
Common Wiggler
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:44 pm
Contact:

Post by slowwild » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:45 pm

slow wild, electric ropes
a boy at intellijel
https://slowwild.party

User avatar
evileye0702
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 911
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:31 pm

Post by evileye0702 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:48 pm

slowwild wrote:Official release 1.09/143

Details: https://forum.intellijel.com/t/rainmaker-1-09-143/2044
"CHANGE: The preset load/save so now the last preset to be saved or loaded is loaded on power up"

:party:

Thanks

User avatar
Misk
Common Wiggler
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:57 pm
Location: Seattle

Post by Misk » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:03 pm

woohoo! :party:

User avatar
atte
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1593
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:21 am
Location: Copenhagen/Denmark
Contact:

Post by atte » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:10 am

Just got a rainmaker brand new bought at schneiders. It doesn't have the latest firmware which sucks since 1) I specifically asked schneiders if it would come with latest firmware and they (although vaguely) confirmed, 2) I run linux, I'm worse than your grandmother when confronted with a windows computer and 3) I really, really need all my modules to boot up in the same state as when powered down (only available in latest firmware). Sigh.

I'm overwhelmed by the update procedure, so a couple of questions:

1) will I be able to update on my works windows 10 laptop?
2) exactly which files should I download and run?
3) is there a step-by-step instruction that is up-to-date and easy to follow?

User avatar
lohacker
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 707
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:48 am

Post by lohacker » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:27 am

atte wrote:Just got a rainmaker brand new bought at schneiders. It doesn't have the latest firmware which sucks since 1) I specifically asked schneiders if it would come with latest firmware and they (although vaguely) confirmed, 2) I run linux, I'm worse than your grandmother when confronted with a windows computer and 3) I really, really need all my modules to boot up in the same state as when powered down (only available in latest firmware). Sigh.

I'm overwhelmed by the update procedure, so a couple of questions:

1) will I be able to update on my works windows 10 laptop?
2) exactly which files should I download and run?
3) is there a step-by-step instruction that is up-to-date and easy to follow?
I've recently updated mine with W10 smoothly. It's not that hard, just follow the steps in this video:



You'll need:
1) Quartus programmer 32 or 64 bit: https://intellijel.com/support/fpga/
2) Latest firmware: https://intellijel.com/downloads/firmwa ... 43.jic.zip
3) Display updater: https://intellijel.com/downloads/firmwa ... -11-18.zip

User avatar
slowwild
Common Wiggler
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:44 pm
Contact:

Post by slowwild » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:06 pm

atte wrote:Just got a rainmaker brand new bought at schneiders. It doesn't have the latest firmware which sucks since 1) I specifically asked schneiders if it would come with latest firmware and they (although vaguely) confirmed, 2) I run linux, I'm worse than your grandmother when confronted with a windows computer and 3) I really, really need all my modules to boot up in the same state as when powered down (only available in latest firmware). Sigh.

I'm overwhelmed by the update procedure, so a couple of questions:

1) will I be able to update on my works windows 10 laptop?
2) exactly which files should I download and run?
3) is there a step-by-step instruction that is up-to-date and easy to follow?
1) Yes
2) https://intellijel.com/support/ — Download the FPGA "JIC" file (143) and the Intellijel Firmware Updater (1.09 for the display)
3) Here's a walk through for the FPGA, and a download link for the FPGA Programmer: https://intellijel.com/support/fpga/

It's a bit cumbersome, but was the only way to integrate FPGA when the module was designed.
slow wild, electric ropes
a boy at intellijel
https://slowwild.party

User avatar
atte
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1593
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:21 am
Location: Copenhagen/Denmark
Contact:

Post by atte » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:59 pm

Thanks. It turns out I don't have permissions to install anything on my work pc, all my computer knowledgeable friends run Linux as me. I just posted this on the Intellijel forum, but relay it here in desperation:
https://forum.intellijel.com/t/updating ... ow-to/2092
---------------------
I don’t have access to a windows (or mac) computer, I’m running linux (64bit). I stumpled across this old post on muffs which discusses updating the rainmaker from a linux computer:
viewtopic.php?p=2662530&highlight=#2662530

Seems simple, involves running two commands (obviously with newer firmware files):
dfu-util -v -a 0 --dfuse-address 0x08000000 -D rainmaker_1.07.bin
quartus_pgmw Rainmaker\ v1.09.jic

dfu-utils I’ve used before, can’t seem to find the new .bin file however. Also while I’ve downloaded rainmaker_v143.jic, I have a hard time finding a download containing the quartus_pgmw, looked around on Intels web site, even made an account, but I’m quite lost frankly.

So:
1) Is updating the rainmaker possible under linux?
2) Where do I find the .bin firmware for the display?
3) Could you point me in the direction of the Intel software for the FPGA?

SavageMessiah
Common Wiggler
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:48 pm

Post by SavageMessiah » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:51 pm

Just install windows in a vm, the same as everyone on mac does :despair:

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”