MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

intellijel Rainmaker
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 57, 58, 59  Next [all]
Author intellijel Rainmaker
geremyf
READYdot wrote:
I was totally in for this. But looking at it and trying to put my head around this, it seems this has so many options I have no idea what they do or what their purpose it. Seems to me like one of those pricey esoteric boutique studio effects, that only sound-engineers can put to good use. What totally killed it for me, is when in the NAMM demo video he shows how with pushing the trigger button it randomly changes settings. This somehow is not what I want from an expensive module, pushing one button until I get something I like, because I have no idea what all the other buttons do. I just seems like too much. I mean a lot of features are ok, but trying to make every single option available somehow kills usability... I don't know, I might be overreacting, but this doesn't seem like an "ease-of-use" candidate.

It's a bit like the Shapeshifter, I ended up selling, because I couldn't tame all its options..

That was just one way to setup the trigger button. From what I understand, you can cause the trigger button to randomize various settings, or even just a single setting. However you can setup the button to do other things aside from randomize settings., like 'strumming' the resonator.
jjclark
In performing with deep, complex modules, I recommend the following approach.

Choose the sound/effect that you want to achieve, and then set the module up to get it. Then, don't change any settings during your performance. Just make use of the modulation capabilities. It is the modulation that you want to focus on during performance, not changing structural parameters (unless you are Richard Devine). For this, you want a module that has a lot of modulation capabilities (like the Shapeshifter and Rainmaker).

The fact that a module is deep and is capable of a lot of different things shouldn't be a barrier to effectively using it in performance. Just set it to do one thing (e.g. by loading a setting from patch memory) and then wail away.
Dave77
thumbs up
johnwynberg
I knew it was early to say, specially before NAMM, but a few weeks ago I was thinking I had reached my limit, I’m happy with what I got, I don’t think I’ll be buying a new case… And watching this year’s NAMM, I thought myself pretty safe… until I saw THE RAINMAKER! Damn you! screaming goo yo

Looking forward to read the manual. I know the sensible thing would be to test it first, but living in the UK, that’s not an easy option… It took me almost a year before I managed to get my hands on the Shapeshifter. Hopefully they will be more available, but this time I think I would rather order directly from Intellijel, and try it, and if it doesn't work for me, then sell it.

Now, if the Rainmaker is anything as complex as the Shapeshipfer (and for the look of it, it is), I would suggest adding an initialization or default preset. After I created one in the Shapeshifter (thanks to the excellent videos by Seth Shafer), I have been fine with it. Before, most of the time I didn't have a clue what was going on, and used to spend more time unravelling its ‘mysteries’, trying to understand what was going on (and why it wasn't doing what I thought it should be doing), than actually playing with it.
boramx
I look forward to a manual.

The cylonix manuals have been very good, and aided my purchase of CB and Ss.
Daisuk
READYdot wrote:
What totally killed it for me, is when in the NAMM demo video he shows how with pushing the trigger button it randomly changes settings. This somehow is not what I want from an expensive module, pushing one button until I get something I like, because I have no idea what all the other buttons do.

That trigger button could be assigned to a lot of other parameters as well though, judging from the video. Why wouldn't you expect it from an expensive module? I don't see why the price of this thing has got anything to do with that feature.

I can see how the feature set of this thing might seem a bit too complex for some, and that it's not very "modular" or "one knob per function"-y, but personally I love the fact that modules like this gets out there. Seems like an insanely powerful sound designing unit.

Looking much forward to a demo with better sound though (especially without a saxophone in the background), and a more thorough explanation on how to operate this thing. I'm still deeply in love with the Shapeshifter, and imagine these two could be quite the couple! Mr. Green
vathan
This thing looks amazing, however, it is by design, quite deep.

Personally, I will wait until there are some run through videos that can convince me that I won't spend hours staring dumbly at the interface in an attempt to get something useful out of it...

TL;DR
GIMME DEMO VIDEOS!!!!
Funky40
READYdot wrote:
I was totally in for this. But looking at it and trying to put my head around this, it seems this has so many options I have no idea what they do or what their purpose it.

probably compare it with a drummachine.
a simple thing like lets say the Tanzmaus ( just watched the Namm video) might be a supereasy thing for "you" to programm.
You shurely know beatmaking, the single sounds, how they can interact .....respectivly "should" interact somehow.
Now, i´m quite convinced that for a real beginner even such simple thing like a Tanzmaus or any other drummachine looks like a quite complex piece of gear.
does it has to have all those knobs ? and all those buttons ? lol
wink

i for example worked ALOTS with delays and pitchshifting in combination, i absolutely can grasp the Rainmakers layout from here just by the picture.
the delay part looks extremly accesible to me from distance, not knowing the module. no clue about the menus.......

if you can´t get a picture down, my tip would be to start first with something like the Echophone to learn what the musical outcome is with such module. Eventide Pitchfactor probabyl even better to learn with.

But as also a beginner shurely could hammer out a beat on a Tanzmaus, am i convinced that one could learn such thing like a rainmaker by ......"just learning it" by doing wink

the delay part is definitly not made to just jam by fun, you "programm" the outcome by intention..
...but then, everything becomes "accesible by feel" after spending enough time with it.

stoked to get one............ nanners
"allready" unhappy about the ( to small) pitchbend rage, though wink
MATSmile
Maybe you will reconsider and include looping function? Please JJClark we're not worthy. 20 sec of looping is more than enough for euro looper.
Manzanedo
Just got my first Shapeshifter, still use old JJ Clark Reaktor ensembles regularly, want a Cyclebox, and now a Rainmaker.

we're not worthy JIM CLARK!
tsunamisucks
i double what Funky40 said - it's definitely intuitive and looks playable, arguably the most creative delay module i've seen in euro - just looking at the layout and these messy NAMM demos. and karplus-strong, my personal love - looper would be awesome of course, but it's already packed

we're not worthy we're not worthy jjclark

and the question all the manufacturers and retailers hate: WHEN IS IT AVAILABLE???
exper
Manzanedo wrote:
Just got my first Shapeshifter, still use old JJ Clark Reaktor ensembles regularly, want a Cyclebox, and now a Rainmaker.

Wait, which reaktor ensembles were by J Clark? I haven't used soft synths in a long time, but that sounds like something to revisit!
bkbirge
On my preorder list for sure, need to replace my long in the tooth lex prime time and this is the only thing I've seen in that spirit and then some.
Funky40
tsunamisucks wrote:
WHEN IS IT AVAILABLE???

came back to ask exactly this !

and one thing: will AH get a shipment immendiately or again totally delayed vs. other shops ?
need to decide NOW where to preorder NOW wink
euxine
jjclark wrote:
In performing with deep, complex modules, I recommend the following approach.

Choose the sound/effect that you want to achieve, and then set the module up to get it. Then, don't change any settings during your performance. Just make use of the modulation capabilities. It is the modulation that you want to focus on during performance, not changing structural parameters (unless you are Richard Devine). For this, you want a module that has a lot of modulation capabilities (like the Shapeshifter and Rainmaker).

The fact that a module is deep and is capable of a lot of different things shouldn't be a barrier to effectively using it in performance. Just set it to do one thing (e.g. by loading a setting from patch memory) and then wail away.

cool cool Thanks for this - even though I feel I've got a good handle on my medium-sized system (18u), I still need to be reminded of this. You don't use all your tools at once to build a house, just use when neeeded. cool cool
intellijel
The mainboards are built, panels in stock, display board being finished this next couple of days.

We will have a big pile assembled units over the next week or two but we are still taking some time to extend beta testing of firmware.

We are also digesting some of the feedback and feature suggestions that came from people at NAMM who had a chance to play with it in more depth.

In terms of complexity I would say it is basically as complicated as you want it to be. You can easily get started by using the presets and simple main panel controls and progressively delve deeper into it as you get more comfortable.

We took a long time to carefully layout the panel controls into logical groupings and sections with a lots dedicated buttons for quick access to key parameters.

I had several people comment to me that their initial impression based on the way it looks was that this was too complicated for them. However once I had given then a brief two minute tour of the controls and layout they admitted it was pretty clear to use and were happily diving in to create new sounds.

There was a crew of sound designers from Hans Zimmers studio who came by and had big smiles on their faces as they were patching in modulation to various modulation destinations and especially loved what the granular pitch shifting was doing.

One of the points of modular synthesizers is to allow users to get much deeper into the inner workings of their instrument because there is a chance to discover new things far beyond the constraints of conventional prepatched instruments and macro/rompler devices.

We are excited to see and hear what the users of Rainmaker are going to discover once they start exploring the possibilities of this system. The fact that there is so much to discover should represent great value and interest to those who love to experiment with sound!
Jericho
Im really excited about this. Instant buy. we're not worthy
euxine
intellijel wrote:

We are also digesting some of the feedback and feature suggestions that came from people at NAMM who had a chance to play with it in more depth.

Seems like more than any other Intellijel (/Cylonix) product, this has the potential to carry alternative firmwares? Obviously it's built around a core set of functionality, but seems there could easily be a few valid (and great) ways to build on that... thoughts?
FrankMurder
At first I couldn't really get my head around it but as I read the description again and again I have started to get really weird and crazy Ideas for using this thing. I actually find myself daydreaming about this thing. I dream of rainmakers... Yes I think I could use two Dead Banana
Ras Thavas
jjclark wrote:
taylor12k wrote:
so nice.....

so, can it be used as a looper? it says the buffer can be frozen... so can you freeze the full 20 second buffer? thus making a 20 second loop?

can individual delay bands be frozen? or only the entire delay path as a whole?

It's the input buffer which is frozen, so no you can't freeze individual channels. We thought of putting in proper looping functionality but Danjel decided to keep that for a future product :-)

Makes sense to use the input buffer as you then have the rest of the taps to "effect" that short frozen buffer. Still, a software choice, i.e. short or long freeze, would be nice. It seems a waste to have two 20 second delay lines and not be able to do some looping...
Funky40
intellijel wrote:

One of the points of modular synthesizers is to allow users to get much deeper into the inner workings of their instrument because there is a chance to discover new things far beyond the constraints of conventional prepatched instruments and macro/rompler devices.

We are excited to see and hear what the users of Rainmaker are going to discover once they start exploring the possibilities of this system. The fact that there is so much to discover should represent great value and interest to those who love to experiment with sound!

hehe.......
i do nothing else than experiment with sound since 10 years. from here comes my wish ( again):
please make the pitchshift 2octaves at least, better 2.5, or even better three ! ............mainly downwards ofcourse wink

Now, i see the possible point to focus mainly on a good tonal quality.
I see also the point that more shift range probably might mean to have less accurate or a more fiddly "dialing in situation" , ....even if its quantised.
I see the point that more shiftrange might be a slight drawback if you focus for example for stacking the delay hits to chords.

please let me tell you this:
even with the crappy sounding MPC1k -with JJOS- can you get *astounding* sounding sounds and noises with biiiig amounts of pitchshifting down.
( yes, i do it in realtime while playing the samples. the biiig shifts are only possible from within the PRG mode to mention this.)
Blow those noises up with a nice Hall or two and even the MPC1k can make you Hollywood like sounds.
Sounds that are not that far away from Kyma like stuff.
Its a every now and then mentioned trick ( from the people how know their business) that pitching down samples can be VERY rewarding.
often its the 1,5 to 2.5 octaves range IIRC .

let me explain further:
especially with the modular can you get out VERY nice high pitched sounds and noises,
-one of the best contributors for such sounds is btw. intellijels/Cylonix´ very own Shapeshifter-.
pitch those down and smile. ......sample, cut aaaaaaand loop !!

what i heard in the Demos seems that the Rainmaker sounds VERY good, far beyond what my MPC or Echophone does.
I really can imagine that even with muuuuuch down shifting samples a good soundquality will be given.

if doable: make a setting that the total shiftrange (down mainly) is pre-settable in a menu by the user. or just make two ranges........
please, please, please !
jjclark
exper wrote:
Manzanedo wrote:

Wait, which reaktor ensembles were by J Clark? I haven't used soft synths in a long time, but that sounds like something to revisit!

Just do a search for "James Clark" on the Reaktor User Library site. My ensemble called Excentrix was an early study that led to the Cyclebox.
jjclark
Ras Thavas wrote:
jjclark wrote:
taylor12k wrote:
so nice.....

so, can it be used as a looper? it says the buffer can be frozen... so can you freeze the full 20 second buffer? thus making a 20 second loop?

It's the input buffer which is frozen, so no you can't freeze individual channels. We thought of putting in proper looping functionality but Danjel decided to keep that for a future product :-)

Makes sense to use the input buffer as you then have the rest of the taps to "effect" that short frozen buffer. Still, a software choice, i.e. short or long freeze, would be nice. It seems a waste to have two 20 second delay lines and not be able to do some looping...

I am not sure what your complaint is here. The freeze buffer Length IS controllable! You can use the 1v/Oct input to set this and enables tuned freezes. The range of the freeze buffer size is from .1msec to 20 seconds. That's pretty short to very long. The demo I posted to my soundcloud page demonstrates changing the freeze time (for that stereotyped MaxHeadroom sound).
jjclark
euxine wrote:
intellijel wrote:

Seems like more than any other Intellijel (/Cylonix) product, this has the potential to carry alternative firmwares? Obviously it's built around a core set of functionality, but seems there could easily be a few valid (and great) ways to build on that... thoughts?

Sorry, but there aren't going to be any (3rd party) alternative firmwares, for the same reason as for the shapeshifter. I am not going to rehash the reasons here, but you can read the shapeshifter threads for that.
MATSmile
jjclark wrote:
Ras Thavas wrote:
jjclark wrote:
taylor12k wrote:
so nice.....

I am not sure what your complaint is here. The freeze buffer Length IS controllable! You can use the 1v/Oct input to set this and enables tuned freezes. The range of the freeze buffer size is from .1msec to 20 seconds. That's pretty short to very long. The demo I posted to my soundcloud page demonstrates changing the freeze time (for that stereotyped MaxHeadroom sound).

Isn't freezing 20 second element is basically looping it?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 57, 58, 59  Next [all]
Page 2 of 59