MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

intellijel Rainmaker
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 57, 58, 59  Next [all]
Author intellijel Rainmaker
necrobious
Really excited, can't wait to hear more examples.
Ras Thavas
jjclark wrote:
I am not sure what your complaint is here. The freeze buffer Length IS controllable! You can use the 1v/Oct input to set this and enables tuned freezes. The range of the freeze buffer size is from .1msec to 20 seconds. That's pretty short to very long. The demo I posted to my soundcloud page demonstrates changing the freeze time (for that stereotyped MaxHeadroom sound).

No complaint here! smile

My mistake, an earlier post made it sound to me as if there was only a small input buffer that could loop. Having a freeze buffer from .1 sec to 20 seconds is great. It may not have full looper functionality baked in, but with feedback and freezing there's absolutely no reason anyone couldn't do old school looping, combined with the very new school per tap processing attributes the Rainmaker offers. Thanks for clearing this up!
RoaFL
ARRRRRGH!
very frustrating
I just completed my case!
bucketbrigade
jjclark wrote:
In performing with deep, complex modules, I recommend the following approach.

Choose the sound/effect that you want to achieve, and then set the module up to get it. Then, don't change any settings during your performance. Just make use of the modulation capabilities. It is the modulation that you want to focus on during performance, not changing structural parameters (unless you are Richard Devine). For this, you want a module that has a lot of modulation capabilities (like the Shapeshifter and Rainmaker).

The fact that a module is deep and is capable of a lot of different things shouldn't be a barrier to effectively using it in performance. Just set it to do one thing (e.g. by loading a setting from patch memory) and then wail away.

This is fantastic advice. I wish someone had told me this a year ago. I sometimes have this urge to make a module do all of the things it's capable of all at once or I feel like I'm "wasting" it in the patch. But some of the most interesting results I've gotten have been when I let a really complex module do one very simple thing. It turns out I'm not wasting it because it's complexity allows me to vary that one thing with modulation so easily.
kisielk
bucketbrigade wrote:
jjclark wrote:
In performing with deep, complex modules, I recommend the following approach.

Choose the sound/effect that you want to achieve, and then set the module up to get it. Then, don't change any settings during your performance. Just make use of the modulation capabilities. It is the modulation that you want to focus on during performance, not changing structural parameters (unless you are Richard Devine). For this, you want a module that has a lot of modulation capabilities (like the Shapeshifter and Rainmaker).

The fact that a module is deep and is capable of a lot of different things shouldn't be a barrier to effectively using it in performance. Just set it to do one thing (e.g. by loading a setting from patch memory) and then wail away.

This is fantastic advice. I wish someone had told me this a year ago. I sometimes have this urge to make a module do all of the things it's capable of all at once or I feel like I'm "wasting" it in the patch. But some of the most interesting results I've gotten have been when I let a really complex module do one very simple thing. It turns out I'm not wasting it because it's complexity allows me to vary that one thing with modulation so easily.

Also you don't always have to use it for the same thing, it can serve a completely different purpose in each patch / song.
jdkee
This is a neat module. It's pretty cool that you guys can compete with the Eventides and the like by building in the Euro format. Much like what has been said over at GS about the analogue renaissance, it's a great time to be in Euro. This is fun!
owmtxy
Adamalthus
RoaFL wrote:
ARRRRRGH!
very frustrating
I just completed my case!

The first axiom of wiggling is: "A case is never complete" Guinness ftw!
sempervirent
Easily my favorite module from NAMM... definitely making space for this one.
Cata
Really hoping I get my tax return in time for preorders!
jjclark
MATSmile wrote:

Isn't freezing 20 second element is basically looping it?

Usually a looper has the ability to overdub, which this does not.
kisielk
The webpage for the Rainmaker is now up: https://intellijel.com/eurorack-modules/cylonix-rainmaker/

We'll have some more demos shortly.
adnauseam
kisielk wrote:
The webpage for the Rainmaker is now up: https://intellijel.com/eurorack-modules/cylonix-rainmaker/

By "more demos" you mean "atleast a single demo"?

hihi

Can't wait!
kisielk
adnauseam wrote:
kisielk wrote:

By "more demos" you mean "atleast a single demo"?

hihi

Can't wait!

Jim's posted several on his soundcloud so far: https://soundcloud.com/cylonix
MATSmile
jjclark wrote:
MATSmile wrote:

Isn't freezing 20 second element is basically looping it?

Usually a looper has the ability to overdub, which this does not.

Well that's good I don't care about overdubbing. Is it basically something similar to hold function on DLD?
ST.
The Rainmaker was my favorite Eurorack module, if not my favorite in general from NAMM 2016.

It is like the Maths of effects units.
intellijel

Simple drum loop from the Acidlab Miami is first being processed by the Intellijel Jellysquasher (a coloring compressor) then into the Intellijel | Cylonix Rainmaker spectral delay processor.

The wet/dry is adjusted until %50 wet signal and then I play with the global pitch shifting and then assign one of the Aux controls to Grain size.
Towards the end I freeze the buffer to create a loop that I manipulate and then unfreeze it at the end to go back into realtime input processing.
exper
we're not worthy Intellijel Om

Crazy. This thing is going to be mind blowing.
geremyf
wow. I want the jellysquisher now too, and I already have a streams!
intellijel

Using the Intellijel Metropolis to sequence the Rainmaker in a Karplus Strong configuration. The TRIGGER input provides a short noise burst to excite the delay and the 1V/Oct tracks the pitch. I select some different feedback filters to achieve different tonal qualities similar to guitar, sitar and clarinet.
Innerself2007
intellijel wrote:

Using the Intellijel Metropolis to sequence the Rainmaker in a Karplus Strong configuration. The TRIGGER input provides a short noise burst to excite the delay and the 1V/Oct tracks the pitch. I select some different feedback filters to achieve different tonal qualities similar to guitar, sitar and clarinet.

Sounds nice!
The resonator section is what Im most interested about.
insomaniac
vathan wrote:
This thing looks amazing, however, it is by design, quite deep.

Personally, I will wait until there are some run through videos that can convince me that I won't spend hours staring dumbly at the interface in an attempt to get something useful out of it...

TL;DR
GIMME DEMO VIDEOS!!!!

I had the chance to play with the Rainmaker at NAMM, and I have to say that after about 5 minutes of blindly flailing around, it was super easy getting around the interface and producing some nice results. You can really tell that a lot of thought went into the layout here.

Once Danjel popped in a stereo headphone amp to listen through, I was pretty blown away (and have started saving up my pennies)
Daisuk
Would love to hear a demo with some melodic content as well! The drum one sounds great though, I'm all in for this. Any ETA on the manual? smile
Funky40
again, sorry: ( speaking about the Delay only )

in regards to pitchshifting down:
Could you make it at least 17 semitones down instead of 16 please ?
that would make much more sense when thinking in musical relationes, not ?
at least in my head it does wink
..........i wonder about the reason to choose those 16 semitones......but then, its your thing.....

in regards to Biiig shifts down:
i guess all available ways to shift the pitch down ( or up...) are cumulated, right ?
was it two or three different ways to shift down. specs look like two. in my mind i had three.
single steps, feedback, global........??

yes, i´m obsessed about pitchshifting wink
the comb Demo sounds very great to me ! with the drum demo you could have turned me off of any interest in the module lol
Richard Devine
Out of everything I had a chance to check out at NAMM this year, Rainmaker was the most impressive to me! I can't wait to get my hands on this! it will be insane!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 57, 58, 59  Next [all]
Page 3 of 59