MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

intellijel Rainmaker
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46  Next [all]
Author intellijel Rainmaker
jjclark
OK, here is a thread for the intellijel/Cylonix Rainmaker module.

[img][/img]
jjclark
The Rainmaker was designed and developed by Jim Clark (FPGA firmware, front panel board electronics), Danjel van Tijn (pcb layouts, display board electronics, front panel, great ideas on features), and Kamal Kisiel (display board firmware).
jjclark
The main features of the Rainmaker are:

• Stereo delay line with 16-taps
• Each of the 16 taps has its own set of audio processors:
o 2nd order resonant multi-mode filter (LP,BP,HP) with adjustable cutoff frequency and resonance
o Level and Balance setting, with quick mute capabillity
o +/- 1 octave granular pitch shifter (1,2 or 4 grains with adjustable grain size)
• Delay line feedback can be taken from any of the 16 taps (pre-filter) or from the sum of the 16 taps (post-filter)
• Delay line feedback has its own pitch shifter and 1st-order tone filter
• Global delay time can be set either by manual entry with the encoder, or by an external clock (with adjustable clock divider), or by tap tempo button.
• Individual tap delays are set according to one of 16 preset patterns (grooves)
• Global delay time modulation by an LFO with 8 selectable waveforms
• Delay times range from 0.1 millisecond to 20 seconds.
• Delay buffer freeze and reverse
• Taps can be piled on top of each other to give complex filtering and chord effects
• Global pitch shift control which transposes the delay line output by +/- 1 octave

• Stereo multi-tap comb resonator
• Comb can have between 1 and 64 taps allowing for complex resonances
• Three different nonlinear comb feedback structures for spectral shaping
• Comb is pingable to give physically-modeled guitar, sitar, clarinet(ish) types of sounds
• 16 different comb tap spacing patterns
• Global comb time can be set either by manual entry with the encoder, or by an external clock (with adjustable clock divider), or by a 1v/oct control voltage.
• Global comb time modulation by an LFO with 8 selectable waveforms
• Comb times range from 0.1 millisecond to 20 seconds.

• 96KHz, 24-bit (32-bit internal) signal processing
• Most parameters are controllable by external control voltages, either directly or through the two auxiliary modulation inputs (MODA, MODB)
• 128 Factory preset and 128 User preset storage
• (audio-rate) randomization of all parameters, or selectable subsets
FrankMurder
I have been drooling over how I imagine using this thing for a few days now...

Only thing I can think to say is SEXY...
Innerself2007
Looking forward to a preorder announcement!
pieter
I have absolutely no intuition on how this works. hmmm.....

From the feature list it looks like it's more than a delay. A demo vid would be greatly appreciated!
Funky40
Thank you JJ !

My special request:
A piano played thru the rainmaker. .......yes, from recording is fine....loop is fine.........then playing with the delay section in a meaningful musical way,
as you did in your last demo with the two tap delay setting IIRC.
ask maybe Dave Dixon for a recording hihi ...ohh, or satie would be a cool source.....etc. etc.

( yes, i for my one can absolutely imagine what all can be donne with the delay section.
i used to experiment ALOTs with delay-pitchshifter combinations and have several hardware units at hand ( stimpbox and modular),
But then, those are just not thaaaaaaaaat capable as the rainmaker might be wink
I really wonder how it comes on a piano, and if i should save up for one just alone for the piano ( rompler) alone.......
edit: others might think the same in regards to guitar wink
LeFreq
*ding* ding* ding* Eurorack's NAMM Winner!

So stoked for this.

we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy nanners It's peanut butter jelly time! Dead Banana Dead Banana
Funky40
this one AND the 4ms dual looping delay.
Dan and Gary have also donne a tremendous good of a job. ........and so far the better demoing wink
Ras Thavas
Certainly didn't expect anything like this. Adventurous, deep, idiosyncratic, and "Eventide-ish" in euro.

I'm curious about the quality of the individual stereo pitch shifters on each tap, if I set them for a nice four voice seventh chord will it sound well intonated, or somewhat "off", like many pitch shifters often sound doing intervals other than octaves and fifths?

Good demos will be important, and I'm sure they're coming.
wirelesswine
I can't wait for release - in about a month?
taylor12k
so nice.....

so, can it be used as a looper? it says the buffer can be frozen... so can you freeze the full 20 second buffer? thus making a 20 second loop?

can individual delay bands be frozen? or only the entire delay path as a whole?
spacenoodle
Rainmaker is certainly a playground for bizarre effects. It also looks like it could provide many simpler effects I've been hoping to get in the Dubmix send/return paths. I'm curious how well it can handle a chorus, phaser/flanger types of things, or even a passable reverb.
Dcramer
I'm interested to know about the routing?
Can you route straight to the resonator and out?
Can you do series and parallel ?

I'm so confused
jjclark
taylor12k wrote:
so nice.....

so, can it be used as a looper? it says the buffer can be frozen... so can you freeze the full 20 second buffer? thus making a 20 second loop?

can individual delay bands be frozen? or only the entire delay path as a whole?

It's the input buffer which is frozen, so no you can't freeze individual channels. We thought of putting in proper looping functionality but Danjel decided to keep that for a future product :-)
jjclark
Dcramer wrote:
I'm interested to know about the routing?
Can you route straight to the resonator and out?
Can you do series and parallel ?

I'm so confused

Yes, and yes. You can do:
delay -> comb
comb -> delay
comb and delay in parallel (mono
delay alone
comb alone
mapmap
jjclark wrote:
taylor12k wrote:
so nice.....

It's the input buffer which is frozen, so no you can't freeze individual channels. We thought of putting in proper looping functionality but Danjel decided to keep that for a future product :-)

damn. I was hoping it could be used as a looper too.
I guess that would have been too good to be true.
Upright
I think I need this! grin Rockin' Banana! applause
TrondC
Looks and seems like something Elektron could have pulled off this one smile Seems immensly powerful, but like a few others I am slightly put off by what looks like more of a "programmers module" rather than a "performance module".. That said I surely wouldn't mind having one smile
MRoyce
This is really entering Eventide territory with all the pitchshifting delay and filters, which is lovely. Looking forward to the first tutorials on this, it looks like it can really do a whole lot.
Upright
Can't wait to hear it
insula
SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

looks amazing!! let see demos. nanners
READYdot
I was totally in for this. But looking at it and trying to put my head around this, it seems this has so many options I have no idea what they do or what their purpose it. Seems to me like one of those pricey esoteric boutique studio effects, that only sound-engineers can put to good use. What totally killed it for me, is when in the NAMM demo video he shows how with pushing the trigger button it randomly changes settings. This somehow is not what I want from an expensive module, pushing one button until I get something I like, because I have no idea what all the other buttons do. I just seems like too much. I mean a lot of features are ok, but trying to make every single option available somehow kills usability... I don't know, I might be overreacting, but this doesn't seem like an "ease-of-use" candidate.

It's a bit like the Shapeshifter, I ended up selling, because I couldn't tame all its options..
Dogma
Any idea of price on this?
taylor12k
i think they said around $639 +/-

Dogma wrote:
Any idea of price on this?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46  Next [all]
Page 1 of 46