MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New AD Drum offering - BoomTschak
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author New AD Drum offering - BoomTschak
Needles
[video] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46Vke0ooqh0 [/video]

(trouble embedding vid... d'oh! )
euromorcego
Needles wrote:

(trouble embedding vid... d'oh! )

remove the s in https or so i was told.

Needles
Good work!
Crandall1
If you could, edit the original post so BoomTschak is one word, else it will confuse later users and we'll spawn new threads and cats will sleep with dogs and basically the wheels will come off.
Needles
You got it, Chris.
yeskeys
that can of Red Bull on top of the rig is quite unnerving.
homodyne
There's the Mutant Machine, so it's not like there's nothing similar on the market. Always good to have more options.
Crandall1
Heh. Pretty much every social media source where that video has appeared, there's at least one comment about the Red Bull. I'm glad you guys are concerned for the well-being of my equipment, but honestly, those two racks were fondled, prodded, poked at, leaned on, and manipulated by roughly 20,000 people in the last four days, about 19,950 of which didn't have the faintest idea how modular synthesis works, and an empty Red Bull is a long, long, loooooooooooong way from the worst abuse they had. :-)

Regarding Mutant Machine, obviously the more flavors you have in your rack, the better. This is a different flavor is all. You'll probably want both if you're in to monolithic drum modules. They have quite different results, being extremely different topologies. (I would liken it to something like the Makenoise PDO versus the Livewire AFG. They're both oscillators, so why would you want both, right?)

We're still waiting on final quotes and one more prototype turn-around to verify some changes, but I'm pretty confident stating that this will be around US$450, and will be shipping by late March. Adam has the only prototype right now; I should have one next week, and as always, you can watch my Instagram and Twitter feeds for updates as we stumble towards the finishing line.
LIOZPRAV
Hello Chris..

I just bought Neuron (hasn´t arrive yet), but i wanted to ask in your opinion.. How different is the sound quality in both modules?

I know the name BOOMtschak says it all but.. does the neuron make good kick drums or is definitely much weaker than boomtshak?

Thanks!
Crandall1
LIOZPRAV wrote:

I know the name BOOMtschak says it all but.. does the neuron make good kick drums or is definitely much weaker than boomtshak?

Well, you're kind of asking me for a subjective opinion, because your definition of a "good kick drum" and mine might be very different.

That said, Neuron and BT differ quite a bit. There's some cross-over because, well, there aren't a lot of different ways to skin that cat. I'll give you my subjective opinions on the differences and similarities:

1. A basic kick is made with sending EG (with a very steep exponential curve) to the pitch of an oscillator. So the "tone" of the kick kind of relies on the nature of the oscillator and curve of the EG. At its most basic, Neuron and BT don't sound very much alike. BT has a triangle core analog oscillator that is quite clear, while Neuron is a single-cycle sample of a 909's kick osc. So Neuron tends to be somewhat... uh... more hairy? Fuzzier?

There is a certain combination of knob settings on Neuron where it is functionally indistinguishable from a 909. Whereas BT, at these basic settings, tends to be clearer and more "cutting" like more traditional electronic drum sounds (think Yellow Magic Orchestra, Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream, etc.) Once you get away from this most basic combination of settings and start to explore the internal routing, they diverge quite a bit, due to the very different topologies.

2. For snare sounds, BT is unquestionably better. It has far more sophisticated filtering of the noise, and more ways to modulate it. It can also do very good analog claps, which Neuron can't do at all, having no modulation of the noise filter. BT's analog multimode filter can also accept external input and self-oscillate, which really opens up the playing field for more sophisticated sound-building.

Long store short, Neuron is a nice little FM drum voice that does basic 2-op FM sounds in a percussion vein, while having the capability to deliver a really STONKING kick, but it is obviously not an analog module. BT is a more sophisticated drum voice, and due to its topology has a somewhat broader palette, and tends to be clearer, and sounds very "analog."

I don't know if that answered your question. The raft of videos that will be forthcoming when I get the prototype BT back from Adam will be illuminating.
LIOZPRAV
Thanks Chris.

Well, i´ll have to try it!..

The beauty of liking an state of the art artform.. always new things!

It took me months to configure my system and always there´s a new module that makes me want to rearrange everything hihi

Regards!
dubonaire
Crandall1 wrote:
Whereas BT, at these basic settings, tends to be clearer and more "cutting" like more traditional electronic drum sounds (think Yellow Magic Orchestra, Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream, etc.)

I wonder how many people get the reference...
TheRosskonian
Crandall1 wrote:
The raft of videos that will be forthcoming when I get the prototype BT back from Adam will be illuminating.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I was wondering the same thing. Definitely looking forward to your videos on this.
Crandall1
dubonaire wrote:

I know, right? We put what it sounds like right there in the name. :-)

Actually, I think most everyone that has even a passing interest in electronic music will get the reference. And honestly, it sounds far more modern and "bigger" than the name implies. *shrug*
apollinaire2k
It was a done deal for me once i saw that name. I love my Neuron, so i'll eventually have both. The BT sounded great at NAMM!
Crandall1
I finally got the prototype from Adam, and am putting it through its paces prior to the First Article build. If you keep an eye on my Instagram feed, you can get at least a daily (if not more often) dose of BoomTschak.

e.g.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBaaYDRH6Xz/
spacenoodle
That kick sounds amazing. Want!
homodyne
Crandall1 wrote:
I finally got the prototype from Adam, and am putting it through its paces prior to the First Article build. If you keep an eye on my Instagram feed, you can get at least a daily (if not more often) dose of BoomTschak.

e.g.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBaaYDRH6Xz/

It sounds great! Very crisp and punchy!

Is it just the one BoomTschak that we are hearing?
Crandall1
In that Instagram I linked, the snare is ADM12 Neuron, and the hats are from ADM07 Mad Hatter.
LIOZPRAV
cant wait for this hihi
r1n9o
Crandall1 wrote:
dubonaire wrote:

I know, right? We put what it sounds like right there in the name. :-)

Actually, I think most everyone that has even a passing interest in electronic music will get the reference. And honestly, it sounds far more modern and "bigger" than the name implies. *shrug*

There's even some of us that overthink the reference, and get all confused when one considers Electric Cafe featured an 808 (fixed analog architecture) and the Linns (early digital). Then of course there's this module: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1829207

I need help.

Anyway, BoomTschak, awesome name, looks/sounds awesome. Can't wait to try it!
TheRosskonian
Any update on this? The new panel picture on Modulargrid has rekindled my interest. https://www.modulargrid.net/e/audio-damage-adm14-boomtschak
Crandall1
Update: ADM14 BoomTschak is _finally_ in production! It should be shipping in about two weeks. The MSRP is $495. I will have one at the Machines In Music meet in NYC on October 8/9 if you want to fiddle with it in person.

Here's a picture of the first completed unit:

Artaos
Looking good!
Crandall1
Made an overview video. 'Tis here:

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3