MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

nonlinearcircuits 2016 modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next [all]
Author nonlinearcircuits 2016 modules

andrewF

Quite a few new modules coming out this year, this is the 1st batch, figure they can go in this thread. PM or go to HERE - if you are keen to grab some PCBs & panels

1050 Mix sequencer - This module is inspired by the Arp 1050 mix sequencer. Although this version drops the VCO and push button functions. Using the switches, it is an 8 step sequencer, two 4 step sequencers, an 8 input mixer, 8 stage sequential switch, two 4 stage sequential switches and there is also a difference rectifier giving the +ve and -ve difference between stages 1-4 and 5-8.

1050mixSeq build & BOM

329 Phase/Flange - 10 stage Phaser/Flanger based on the Aries 329. It has 11 matched NPN pairs (BCM847) and a set of matched FETs. It is actually quite simple to match FETs, a circuit will be given in the build guide. Pretty much all surface mount, not suitable for beginners!

329Phaser build guide & BOM

giant B0N0 - Basically I mated a vactrol PiLL with the DelayNoMore, so it has a PLL chip, a delay chip & 2 vactrols. Pretty much does whatever it wants most of the time.

B0N0 build guide & BOM

FK1T VCF - This has a core based on the Korg FK-1 pedal, which is a similar VCF to the ones found in the 800dv, 770 and 700 synthesizers. These VCFs have low pass and high pass stages in series. The main difference is this version uses vactrols as the variable resistors and has a different CV sub-circuit and different Q path.
FK1T VCF build & BOM

Numberwang! - basically a 1-16 decoder with sync and async modes. Just feed it 4 signals and get all sorts of complex gate patterns from it. Runs at audio rates too so can be used as a sub-octave generator.
PCB - US$20
Panel - US$25

appliancide

Would you ever consider doing small runs of some of your designs with slightly elongated pcbs with added mounting holes for non-euro use? No biggie if not, as I will make them work for my 4U stuff either way. You are just killing it lately! New stuff is great!

atte

Wow new stuff looks cool, saw the bono demo, man it's legit w00t

Are the 1050 and the bono both SMD in the same league as bools?

andrewF

appliancide wrote:
Would you ever consider doing small runs of some of your designs with slightly elongated pcbs with added mounting holes for non-euro use? No biggie if not, as I will make them work for my 4U stuff either way. You are just killing it lately! New stuff is great!

Maybe, which ones are you interested in? You can drill out one or 2 of the mounting holes for the pots to 3mm and use theat for stand-offs, Of course choose ones with no tracks nearby. It is what I do.

Altitude909

courics knob. Too funny

andrewF

atte wrote:
Wow new stuff looks cool, saw the bono demo, man it's legit w00t

Are the 1050 and the bono both SMD in the same league as bools?

Thanks - building the 1050 would be like building 2 BOOLs, in terms of difficulty, at least most of the resistors are 100k.
All the smd on these is 0805 passives and SOIC semis

windspirit

I was just thinking about having a sequencer that behaves as a sequential switch so that one step can be replaced with another sequence and give it the illusion of a several bar progression. When does the brain custard come out?

andrewF

Brain custard should be here in 4-5 weeks

medbot

Hey Andrew, could you elaborate on a few things regarding the 1050? I'm not clear on if everything plugged into the inputs always comes out of the respective outputs or if they only pass when clocked to their step. Also, could you explain the ways the two switches combine and separate the columns of inputs? Are the inputs and outputs interchangeable when used as a switch (many switches can do 4>1 or 1>4, for example). When no inputs are plugged in, do the pots send voltages to the outputs for use like a traditional sequencer? Sorry for all the questions, but it seems like a pretty dense module. Thanks!

appliancide

andrewF wrote:
appliancide wrote:

Maybe, which ones are you interested in? You can drill out one or 2 of the mounting holes for the pots to 3mm and use theat for stand-offs, Of course choose ones with no tracks nearby. It is what I do.

I haven't run into problems with anything that I already have from you, so maybe it's a non-issue. I will hit you up if I decide to design a 4U panel that wouldn't work with the current designs. Otherwise, I will keep occasionally sending you money in exchange for awesomeness!

windspirit

appliancide wrote:
andrewF wrote:
appliancide wrote:

I haven't run into problems with anything that I already have from you, so maybe it's a non-issue. I will hit you up if I decide to design a 4U panel that wouldn't work with the current designs. Otherwise, I will keep occasionally sending you money in exchange for awesomeness!

Seems like you can use some un-used jack connections as mounting holes?

andrewF

medbot wrote:
Hey Andrew, could you elaborate on a few things regarding the 1050? I'm not clear on if everything plugged into the inputs always comes out of the respective outputs or if they only pass when clocked to their step. Also, could you explain the ways the two switches combine and separate the columns of inputs? Are the inputs and outputs interchangeable when used as a switch (many switches can do 4>1 or 1>4, for example). When no inputs are plugged in, do the pots send voltages to the outputs for use like a traditional sequencer? Sorry for all the questions, but it seems like a pretty dense module. Thanks!

When in mixer mode, upper switch, it just acts as a normal mixer and clock signals are ignored. Signals on inputs 1-4 can be found on outputs 1-4, 1-8 and also the two difference rectifier outputs (after being processed with signals on inputs 5-8). Signals on inputs 5-8 can be found on outputs 5-8 and 1-8.

When used as a sequencer, if no signals are on the 1-8 inputs, the pots set a voltage level, basically a normal sequencer. You can set it as two four step sequencers or a single 8 step sequencer. When using as two 4 step sequencers, the 1-8 output gives the sum of the voltages on, for example; pots 1 & 5, so you get a third pattern which is related to the other two.
If you plug a signal into any of the 1-8 inputs that signal will appear at the output instead of the voltage, the pot for that stage now becomes an attenuator.

The switches are unlabelled on the panel, but the LEDs show the mode:
all LEDs on = mixer
1 LED on (any) = 8 stage seq
2 LEDs on = two four stage sequencers

I have the most fun with this as a combined sequencer/sequential switch, putting an LFO or chaos signal on just one or two stages, the rest are set by the pots.
It is also great for switching audio, either at audio rates to create unusual waveforms or more slowly. I have not observed or heard any clicking when doing this. The chips used are designed for switching audio.

The schematic will be in the build guide but I have attached here if you want to have a look:

andrewF

appliancide wrote:
I will hit you up if I decide to design a 4U panel that wouldn't work with the current designs. Otherwise, I will keep occasionally sending you money in exchange for awesomeness!

Sounds like a good plan SlayerBadger!

maltemark

Goal for 2016: learn workable smd soldering. These look fantastic!

HipDestroyer

maltemark wrote:
Goal for 2016: learn workable smd soldering. These look fantastic!

I was thinking the same

oberkorn

deleted

billsship

For those of you who are hesitant about trying these projects because you are not used to SMD soldering, please try it!

I built a 4seq that was all SMD resistors and it was crazy easy and my first time. Buy some flux on your next parts order and it'll make everything much easier. I now prefer SMD resistors and caps over through-hole.

You have the power!!!

And watch this:

synthdude

By far the cheapest and easiest way to do SMD is by using an inexpensive heat gun. Check this vid,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OYakUQmgd0

If you plan on doing a lot of SMD projects upgrade to a reflow toaster oven. I built one of these and I can solder all smd onto a board in a few mins. Check this project out,

http://www.whizoo.com/index.php

ablearcher

dang!!! too many to keep up with. I'm still fine tuning my action panel... screaming goo yo

definitely going to pick up the fk1t and 1050 (as well as segue and a couple others) as soon I can reasonably hope to have some time to build them.

I've been wondering, is there any plan to re-release the jerk-offs (or circle jerk)? Do any of these new chaos modules replace it or should I just pick up the old stock? been eyeing those for what feels like forever now.

also: do not be afraid of the smd! magnifiers help but for large projects with many of the same components over and over I much prefer it. even with a normal iron you can just zap them on. zap zap zap. no cutting and bending makes things way quicker/easier.

PolarIceCaves

Wow Andrew these are beautiful! I hope I can learn to build these myself.

elcoco

Love your work Andrew, I've never built one of your modules but I definitely will be in the future. Looking forward to trying out the 1050 and the neuron/diff-rect.

spotta

Only a few spaces left in my DIY case, but room for each of these!

medbot

Thanks for the detailed explanation Andrew. I definitely need to make some room in the case for the 1050, it just does too much cool stuff.

Swann

Nice work Andrew, will order once my DIY reflow oven is fully tested! Have a link for the cutesy knobs on the FK1T?

c1t1zen

Giant Bono

Cool stuff Andrew

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next [all]
Page 1 of 13