MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

So the 261e's almost entirely digital!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author So the 261e's almost entirely digital!
theglyph
In the Buchla FAQ it mentions that the 261e timbre and waveshaping sections are digital. I thought these parts were analog. I'd really like to see a side-by-side comparison with the Hertz Donut.

I must say that I have a fondness for digital oscillators and a 2 panel box with a 261e and perhaps a 259e sounds very yummy and something I could perhaps afford with some gear sales.
the timbre section in the 261e is for sure analog.

As i can hear just from online demos, the donut sounds completely harsh digital,a 261e sounds 'warmer' then.
3vcos
2012 wrote:

As i can hear just from online demos, the donut sounds completely harsh digital,a 261e sounds 'warmer' then.

I just reread the FAQ and the waveshaper in the 261e is indeed digital the sync section is analog and not much else. A while ago I thought I read the 261e did have an analog waveshaper....
Oxix52
I thought I had read it had an analog waveshaper too. In fact, Ezra Buchla says something about the 261e being directly lifted from the 259 of the 70s in the NoiseBug video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HBrepEZj1E

I can't tell exactly what he is referring to, the overall circuitry, or just some part of it.
3vcos wrote:
2012 wrote:

I just reread the FAQ and the waveshaper in the 261e is indeed digital the sync section is analog and not much else. A while ago I thought I read the 261e did have an analog waveshaper....

That the waveshaper is digital is possible,but not the timbre section,it sounds too good to be digital.
Oxix52 wrote:
I thought I had read it had an analog waveshaper too. In fact, Ezra Buchla says something about the 261e being directly lifted from the 259 of the 70s in the NoiseBug video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HBrepEZj1E

I can't tell exactly what he is referring to, the overall circuitry, or just some part of it.

there is a good explanation on the verbos site i think how the 259 works,the structure,how circuits are interconected inside etc.

on the 261e the timbre section consist of a shaper and a wavemultiplier ,the shapers 'symetry' and 'high order' are possible in the digital domain prior conversion and then goes into the wavemultiplier wich is in fact the 'timbre' variation ,this last one is analog am pretty sure
divisionbyzero
hi everyone,

the faq is wrong, we're updating the copy now. in the 261e both the principal oscillator and modulation oscillator start off as digital sine waves. from that point on the signal stays in the analog domain. the timbre, symmetry, high order, and mod osc wave shaping circuits are all analog.

the sync is digital (it has to be since a cpu is generating the sine waves).
Oxix52
Cool! It's nice to get it straight from the source.

Thanks Jon for clearing that up.
3vcos
wow. cool. thanks for the update.

that was pretty fast too. Who doesn't read muffwiggler these days?

:-)

divisionbyzero wrote:
hi everyone,

the faq is wrong, we're updating the copy now. in the 261e both the principal oscillator and modulation oscillator start off as digital sine waves. from that point on the signal stays in the analog domain. the timbre, symmetry, high order, and mod osc wave shaping circuits are all analog.

dkcg
divisionbyzero wrote:

Are the syncs in the oscillators hard sync, soft or variable (like the ZO)? Anyone have any samples online of the 261e and/or 259e FMing and synced? Kinda like the Cwejman VCO-2RM's sync/FM on oscillator 2? Former euro users may know what I mean.
dougcl
dkcg wrote:
divisionbyzero wrote:

Are the syncs in the oscillators hard sync, soft or variable (like the ZO)? Anyone have any samples online of the 261e and/or 259e FMing and synced? Kinda like the Cwejman VCO-2RM's sync/FM on oscillator 2? Former euro users may know what I mean.

Hi this video has both hard/soft sync of the 259e being modulated with itself through the 285e. http://vimeo.com/10712104

Soft sync is via PLL! So it's a little different. I have yet to get an Arabesque out of it, but it will wobble nicely (you have to search for it though).

In hard sync mode the mod osc will jump frequencies as you turn its pitch knob like on the VCO-2RM. Sorry I don't have a better demo. I'm always torn between making something sound good and showing also its range. The reality is it takes hours to get an idea and that's far to long for a video smile
dkcg
Great! I actually prefer soft sync most the time, so I'm happy it sounds good. And that filter, damn, I didn' realize that there's a tiny sequencer built in. I'm getting itchy here. applause
richardm123uk
Someone please sell me a 261e.
confusional
Redacted.
dougcl
dkcg wrote:
I didn't realize that there's a tiny sequencer built in.

Check out Jon's 291e demo starting at about 2:30 here
http://www.vimeo.com/2084474
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1