MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Audio Damage ADM16 DubJr Mk2 ("glitch" demos added
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author Audio Damage ADM16 DubJr Mk2 ("glitch" demos added
NoMoreNightmares
letitbleep wrote:
Crandall1 wrote:
letitbleep wrote:

interesting logic at work here d'oh!


No logic at work there. Read what I wrote, and try again without the emoticon.


please help my small brain understand your nuanced words. you've described power supplies that don't work with this module (but which work great with all other modules) as "shitty;" Doepfer PSU3's do not work with this module(sometimes?), but are.... not? shitty? is that what you're saying? and if so, why are the other power supplies shitty and the Doepfer not?


I'm pretty sure he's categorizing the Doepfer PSU3 as one of the power supplies that doesn't play nicely and happens to violate the previous statement about the Venn diagram. That's what makes it an outlier.
ignatius
letitbleep wrote:
Crandall1 wrote:
letitbleep wrote:

interesting logic at work here d'oh!


No logic at work there. Read what I wrote, and try again without the emoticon.


please help my small brain understand your nuanced words. you've described power supplies that don't work with this module (but which work great with all other modules) as "shitty;" Doepfer PSU3's do not work with this module(sometimes?), but are.... not? shitty? is that what you're saying? and if so, why are the other power supplies shitty and the Doepfer not?


also

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/outlier

in this thread there is brief discussion about the issue at hand what adds up to a 'shitty' PSU in this case. also if you google around or use the search function on the forum you can find plenty of discussion of power supplies in general and posts about PSUs that don't really live up to the demands placed on them... or are just poorly designed/built etc.

no one wants to throw a manufacturer under the bus so you just need to read between the lines and figure out if you want to give weight to anecdotal evidence.
letitbleep
ignatius wrote:
letitbleep wrote:
Crandall1 wrote:
letitbleep wrote:

interesting logic at work here d'oh!


No logic at work there. Read what I wrote, and try again without the emoticon.


please help my small brain understand your nuanced words. you've described power supplies that don't work with this module (but which work great with all other modules) as "shitty;" Doepfer PSU3's do not work with this module(sometimes?), but are.... not? shitty? is that what you're saying? and if so, why are the other power supplies shitty and the Doepfer not?


also

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/outlier

in this thread there is brief discussion about the issue at hand what adds up to a 'shitty' PSU in this case. also if you google around or use the search function on the forum you can find plenty of discussion of power supplies in general and posts about PSUs that don't really live up to the demands placed on them... or are just poorly designed/built etc.

no one wants to throw a manufacturer under the bus so you just need to read between the lines and figure out if you want to give weight to anecdotal evidence.


gosh ignatius thanks so much for the condescending link, really helpful stuff!

i've read the thread and am still looking for some clarification and detail from Chris about just what makes a power supply "shitty"

this -12v "sag" seems to be one characteristic that might qualify. is this a design choice or a cost-reduction measure? does this sag cause problems other than the one described here? does the Doepfer PSU3 exhibit this -12v sag? if so, why isn't the Doepfer shitty? if not, what does the Doepfer do that disallows it from functioning with this module?
ignatius
letitbleep wrote:
ignatius wrote:
letitbleep wrote:
Crandall1 wrote:
letitbleep wrote:

interesting logic at work here d'oh!


No logic at work there. Read what I wrote, and try again without the emoticon.


please help my small brain understand your nuanced words. you've described power supplies that don't work with this module (but which work great with all other modules) as "shitty;" Doepfer PSU3's do not work with this module(sometimes?), but are.... not? shitty? is that what you're saying? and if so, why are the other power supplies shitty and the Doepfer not?


also

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/outlier

in this thread there is brief discussion about the issue at hand what adds up to a 'shitty' PSU in this case. also if you google around or use the search function on the forum you can find plenty of discussion of power supplies in general and posts about PSUs that don't really live up to the demands placed on them... or are just poorly designed/built etc.

no one wants to throw a manufacturer under the bus so you just need to read between the lines and figure out if you want to give weight to anecdotal evidence.


gosh ignatius thanks so much for the condescending link, really helpful stuff!

i've read the thread and am still looking for some clarification and detail from Chris about just what makes a power supply "shitty"

this -12v "sag" seems to be one characteristic that might qualify. is this a design choice or a cost-reduction measure? does this sag cause problems other than the one described here? does the Doepfer PSU3 exhibit this -12v sag? if so, why isn't the Doepfer shitty? if not, what does the Doepfer do that disallows it from functioning with this module?


not trying to be condescending.. just saying.. dictionaries are a thing. i have one by my bed so when i read at night i can look up words i don't know or understand the usage. i don't know everything. i'm ok w/that.. there's no need to get mad at someone because you don't understand his 'nuanced word' usage. seriously, i just don't get it

as for power supplies.. some are better than others regardless of the audio damage module in question. some are poorly grounded, blow up, under powered, noisy etc. i was only suggesting you do a few searches to find out which ones display some or all of these characteristics since it is unlikely you will find one manufacturer throwing another manufacturer under the bus so to speak.. and trash talking each other's products.. though it has happenned before... not often.
Footkerchief
For what it's worth, I also couldn't understand Crandall1's post. Not because I don't know what "outlier" means, but because it was unclear in which regard the Doepfer PSU is an outlier. Maybe I should link to "condescending" in the dictionary, because that term definitely applies when assuming that someone on an English-speaking forum doesn't know the word "outlier," while also failing to answer their question.

NoMoreNightmares wrote:
I'm pretty sure he's categorizing the Doepfer PSU3 as one of the power supplies that doesn't play nicely and happens to violate the previous statement about the Venn diagram. That's what makes it an outlier.

This is the best way I can find to read it, yeah -- that is, it's allegedly a shitty power supply, but people with expensive setups still use it.

Also, please throw manufacturers under the bus. Please do it loudly and publicly, especially concerning power supplies. Please make specific allegations that can be publicly verified or rebutted, so that users can make informed decisions instead of being forced to weigh a dozen vague pro-PSU3 anecdotes against a dozen vague anti-PSU3 anecdotes.

You're basically already doing all the bad parts of throwing someone under the bus with this coy "some PSUs that shall remain nameless but you all know what they are," so give us the details that might let some good also come out of this.
Crandall1
Footkerchief wrote:

Also, please throw manufacturers under the bus. Please do it loudly and publicly, especially concerning power supplies. Please make specific allegations that can be publicly verified or rebutted, so that users can make informed decisions instead of being forced to weigh a dozen vague pro-PSU3 anecdotes against a dozen vague anti-PSU3 anecdotes.


And there's the rub. This site is basically fueled by confirmation bias. "Works for me, so it'll work for you" or "doesn't work for me so it won't work for you." That's fine when you're talking about a single point source of failure, like the iPhone or some shit, and a standard that is strictly adhered to. But with Euro, you can literally have 6 different kinds of power connector in a normal, non-DIY system. Never mind all the different power supplies, cases, modules, cables. And even two modules from the same manufacturer can be distinctly different; our 01 series has different pots, jacks, and codec from our 03 and 05 series modules. So just saying "Audio Damage pots suck" or "Intellijel power supplies suck" or whatever is either impossible or idiotic, depending on your point of view.

In any case, there was a problem, and we fixed it, so shitty power supplies will only cause the normal headaches, at least as far as our modules are concerned, from here on out, and that's the last I'll speak to the matter. I don't have to throw anyone under the bus (or, in this case, buss) because we dealt with the issue.
Crandall1
In the interests of clarification, to avoid that semantic cesspool that just occurred, let me state this: there's no need to throw anybody under the bus, at least in this case. If _I_ know the PSU is shitty, and we make a design change to deal with it, we're doing it so _you_ don't know the PSU is shitty.

That makes it, as far as you're concerned, not shitty. Because it Just Works. Which is the point of the exercise.
meatbeatz
Crandall1 wrote:
In the interests of clarification, to avoid that semantic cesspool that just occurred, let me state this: there's no need to throw anybody under the bus, at least in this case. If _I_ know the PSU is shitty, and we make a design change to deal with it, we're doing it so _you_ don't know the PSU is shitty.

That makes it, as far as you're concerned, not shitty. Because it Just Works. Which is the point of the exercise.


I've designed my power distribution to better handle shitty modules so I'd have to agree. However, when you're designing modules for a format largely built on shitty PSU's it only makes sense not to rely on the PSU for your voltage references.
ignatius
apologies if i contributed to semantic cesspool.

more modules please.
letitbleep
Crandall1 wrote:
So just saying "Audio Damage pots suck" or "Intellijel power supplies suck" or whatever is either impossible or idiotic, depending on your point of view.


and yet you did exactly this when characterizing a subset of power supplies. all while using language that was both vague and inflammatory Dead Banana (don't tell me not to use emoticons)
letitbleep
Crandall1 wrote:
In any case, there was a problem, and we fixed it, so shitty power supplies will only cause the normal headaches, at least as far as our modules are concerned, from here on out, and that's the last I'll speak to the matter.


good of you to offer a fix, thanks for that

not sure what to make of the fact that you're bowing out of this conversation without actually offering any clarification on the claims you've made about the quality of other people's products, especially in response to very specific questions. i do think you may be mis-reading some aspect of the eurorack community. in the 6 years that i've been wiggling and reading this forum, it has seemed to me, to the community's great credit, that people are more legitimately concerned with detail than with whether or not something "just works."

really i'm just not inclined to show deference to a module maker if they are not approaching problems with humility and good faith

anyway, wiggle on, wigglers! SlayerBadger!
tthogs
Just wanna tip toe on in here and just say that I use Doepfer PSU-3s and and my dub jr mk2 powers on just fine every time. oops
Crandall1
letitbleep wrote:

really i'm just not inclined to show deference to a module maker if they are not approaching problems with humility and good faith


I'm not entirely sure what the point of your line of questioning is. You asked me to name specific products that cause problems, and I said two things:

1. The products have already been named, in this very thread, so there's no point in me doing so.

2. We fixed the issue on our end, so there are no more products that cause problems.

I'm comfortable naming the PSU3 as a specific case, since it is a known and common unit that we have verified problems with, and Dieter doesn't have anything to worry about from me mouthing off.

[EDIT: Verbal diarrhea that is totally unnecessary removed]
motiondnb
Ok so the first backplane Chris sent me didn't arrive weirdly so he posted another one which turned up. Check attached pics, a few differences. Sadly this new backplane didn't sort the problem so spoke to Chris and he said that’s the first time that swap hasn’t worked so unsure whats happened there. He went on to say

"In any event, we have _FINALLY_ found the absolute source of this problem, just last week. If you’re interested in the technical reason, it’s this: in the case of your power supply, when you turn it on the -12V line is sagging badly for a moment. This is, in turn, causing a cascading chain of events on our module that is resulting in the boot loader getting an over voltage and putting the module in hard fault, as we originally surmised.

Unfortunately, it required a hardware revision to the backplane and can’t be fixed with a software update. We’re doing a run of them in about 3 weeks (I’ll be ordering them as soon as I return from Superbooth). So if you can wait for about a month, I can send you a backplane that will absolutely definitely fix the problem .
lounge conjunction
Hi people

I just bought a very nice portable 416 HP Case with a Doepfer PSU-3. Both my DubJR MK2 and AEverb MK2 are not working. So i guess that the Aeverb has the same problem

When i put them back into the old case (tipTop Mantis) they do work. I have been searching for quite a while to find the solution. But obviously here it is. I'm happy with this because i was getting a headache thinking about what could cause the problem. Al my other modules are working perfect after all.

Can you please confirm that the Aeverb MK2 has the same issue? And when do you think the "new run" will be available in the Netherlands?

Thanks guys, i really like both modules, i'm also pretty sure that i can work this out with the local dealer.
lounge conjunction
Could it be a combination of the PSU and Busboard. because for me it just doesn't work smile

tthogs wrote:
Just wanna tip toe on in here and just say that I use Doepfer PSU-3s and and my dub jr mk2 powers on just fine every time. oops
tebs213
Mine works great and sounds awesome!
vonbeak
lounge conjunction wrote:
Hi people

Both my DubJR MK2 and AEverb MK2 are not working. So i guess that the Aeverb has the same problem

When i put them back into the old case (tipTop Mantis) they do work. I have been searching for quite a while to find the solution. But obviously here it is. I'm happy with this because i was getting a headache thinking about what could cause the problem. Al my other modules are working perfect after all.


Very relieved to read this. I got a new case and connected my Dub jr mk2 and my Aeverb mk1 wrong and after connecting them the right way only the Aeverb was working. I was afraid that I might had fried my Dub jr but I will check if it works on my Uzeus tomorrow. we're not worthy
vonbeak
vonbeak wrote:
I was afraid that I might had fried my Dub jr but I will check if it works on my Uzeus tomorrow.


Never mind, it's fried..
noisejockey
The DubJr is the first tempo-synced delay I've ever owned and it's made playing live delay freakouts supremely fun and entertaining. Has made my last couple of shows a lot more fun. I now have several clockable delays, but the DubJr is just so direct, it excels in its simplicity of use, it tends to be what I reach for first. Love the sound(s). Great job, Audio Damage.
henrry
My Dub Jr Mk2 happens to work for a while on synthrotek PSUs then not anymore. And then again...
I thought my previous Synthrotek PSU wasn't powerfull enough so I got a much powerfull one. Worked fine... for a while.
I ended up thinking that some modules cause a bug on the Dub Jr.
It really sucks that it happens just before a live preformance....
temaniak
Hi guys! I did not find a video review on this wonderful module, and I made my own review with blackjack and hookers! Mr. Green Mr. Green

Turn on subtitles! Its in russian!

sewcrates
Does anybody know what's up with this module? Is it discontinued? I haven't seen it available anywhere un the US in a while.
zed888
Audio Damage abandoned its eurorack line, so you'd have to find one second hand.
theelectricyouth
Reviving this thread as I just got my hands on one of these super sounding delays!

Wanted to check in with other users if they also get glitchy noise interference when changing clock divisions when using it in sync with a clock? At some divisions, I seem to get quite some noise, and if I leave the knob in that position, the noise stays as well.

Thanks in advance!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 5 of 6
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group