MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Audio Damage ADM16 DubJr Mk2 ("glitch" demos added
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author Audio Damage ADM16 DubJr Mk2 ("glitch" demos added
unclebastard
chvad wrote:
"Both of the DubJr modules are subsets of our Dubstation plug-in, which is well over a decade old."

And still the only delay plug-in I give a shit about! nanners

Def happy about this release.

It is my first choice for delay, and whatever iteration of the module is out when I build my rack will be going in as the delay. I also use the AD Ratshack ( good for cheap 'n filthy Head of David ) Ohmboyz ( outer space Lee Perry madness ) and the KingDubby AU.
21hertz
I am thinking about getting a DubJr mk2, still waiting for it to show up at any Swedish retailers though.

One question: is the 4MS Power Row 40 good enough supply without getting the boot issue?
suthnear
So is this a general issue with this series of AD modules (i.e. 6HP, single column of knobs) or is it particular to dub jr?
letitbleep
suthnear wrote:
So is this a general issue with this series of AD modules (i.e. 6HP, single column of knobs) or is it particular to dub jr?

my understanding is that the on-board voltage regulator that causes the problem is common to the entire line of AD modules. apparently other modules use this voltage regulator, although Rainmaker is the only one I'm certain of, haven't investigated beyond that.

as Chis mentioned, the problem is caused by the power supply sending +12 volts before -12 volts at start-up. my 2 year old Monorocket power supply does this, so no AD modules for me :sad banana:

edit: the thing that's still sort of mysterious to me is that it seems like the power glitch only happens some of the time for some people. I couldn't get the Dub Jr to boot up even once in 20 or so power-ons. makes me think there are other variables that haven't been accounted for yet.
Epignosis567
It's a shame too because these new AD modules are excellent. I hope they can sort this out before they take too bad a beating. I myself would really like to pick up a few of them but I can't until it gets resolved.
ethnotronics
Anyone knows about compatibility with the new Intellijel 7U cases?
The MI Tides (which is also based on an STM32F microcontroller) hasn't had problems so far.

But what is the exactly the regulator that is being discussed here?
The same microcontroller chip can be used with different regulators, no?
letitbleep
ethnotronics wrote:
Anyone knows about compatibility with the new Intellijel 7U cases?
The MI Tides (which is also based on an STM32F microcontroller) hasn't had problems so far.

But what is the exactly the regulator that is being discussed here?
The same microcontroller chip can be used with different regulators, no?

this is all independent of the microchip as far as I can tell. I wouldn't mind getting a discussion going about what this particular part is and whether or not manufacturers are going to keep using it.

to be fair, I believe Chris when he says that this is an issue for a pretty small number of users.
subdo
This isn't really a great demo but it was kind of a "study" in randomness that I liked enough to post. DubJr2 plays a big role in the patch. The main bleepy synth line goes through it. It's synched to the master clock with a free running LFO modulating DIV. The backdrop is a bunch of random drums.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/subdo/bleep-bloop[/s]

I really love this delay. It does great job of being a standard synched delay. I'll try post some stuff that features it in that role.

Edit about PSUs.

I run mine in a Cell90 (not top of the line by any measure) and tried it in one of the Intellijel 4U cases (the 42HP mini one). No issues at all.
21hertz
Trying to find clean demos where the longest delay settings possible are used together with some feedback to create maybe a 10-20 seconds of fade down tail (without introducing distortion).
I'd like to hear what the delay actually sounds like playing alone.

Anyone? smile
dash80
21hertz wrote:
Trying to find clean demos where the longest delay settings possible are used together with some feedback to create maybe a 10-20 seconds of fade down tail (without introducing distortion).
I'd like to hear what the delay actually sounds like playing alone.

Anyone? smile

Also curious about this as well...
pjay
really digging the sound on this dub jr mk2, such a clean delay. having some weird timing issues when feeding it a gate from my 4MS QCD tap out. delays sounds in time, but the clock LED on jr is flashing a strange skipped up rhythm and not a steady beat. flashes normal/steady if i give it clock from elsewhere.

is there a pdf manual for the mk2 anywhere? don't see one on the product page or via web search.
Epignosis567
Did the PSU compatibility issue with this ever get resolved? I have a Doepfer PSU3 and it's not working...
miles_macquarrie
Epignosis567 wrote:
Did the PSU compatibility issue with this ever get resolved? I have a Doepfer PSU3 and it's not working...

Not sure if it's been resolved, but if not, that is a bummer. I would like to have this module and I have a new case on the way with Doepfer PSU3 power. Let me know if you get your issue resolved.
subdo
So I just upgraded my rack to a Pitts Structure 208 and it seems DubJr doesn't like it. I got it to power on once or twice but mostly not. It works fine in the old cell90 but that's likely on the way out. It's frustrating because I really like the DubJr but if I can't get it to play nice I may have to let it go.
NewNewRon
I just took delivery of a Dub Jr II today and can confirm that it plays nicely with the Intellijel TPS80 board.

It sounds great, except, IMHO in that glitch mode when modulating the time while in sync mode. Is there any way to disable this 'feature'? It seems clear that it isn't a bug as I'm getting no noise when modulating the un-synced internal clock...
Epignosis567
Still no doepfer fix?
motiondnb
Hello Everybody,

First post on Muff Wiggler Woooo.

I was having the same issue of powering on this module with my Doepfer PSU3 supply so went to the Audio Damage support page here...

https://www.audiodamage.com/pages/support

and dropped them a line. Chris got back to me in 5 minutes, on a Sunday, and was more than happy to send me a new backplane free of charge which he said will sort out the problem. Will update this when it arrives and I try it out.
bobbcorr
motiondnb wrote:
Hello Everybody,

First post on Muff Wiggler Woooo.

I was having the same issue of powering on this module with my Doepfer PSU3 supply so went to the Audio Damage support page here...

https://www.audiodamage.com/pages/support

and dropped them a line. Chris got back to me in 5 minutes, on a Sunday, and was more than happy to send me a new backplane free of charge which he said will sort out the problem. Will update this when it arrives and I try it out.

Welcome to Muffs motiondb - I also want to express my appreciation and high regard that your choice for a first post was to shower a Euro manufacturer with praise. You are part of a terrific community and I look forward to hearing more from you.
Crandall1
Just an update on this. We _FINALLY_ (insert fanfare here) found the source of the power problem. It is, as we surmised, the fault of some PSUs that shall remain nameless but you all know what they are, not playing well with the particular iteration of the STM32F4 that we use in the 03 platform.

The bad news: this can't be fixed with a software update, as I hoped. The -12V sag causes the bootloader to crash, so it happens before we even get to where we have some control of things.

The good news: all future revisions of the 03 will _not_ have this problem. We will roll a hardware fix in to the next run of 03 modules. When we do this, we will also run off extra backplanes so that we can solve it for anyone that is experiencing the boot issue.

Now, a note: when we have the new backplanes, we will make them available to any existing customer that has the issue. HOWEVER!!!! Please be aware that the issue is _not_ our fault. It is the result of shoddy power supply design. We are aware of other digital modules from other manufacturers that experience similar boot issues, and we know the guilty parties with respect to the PSU models that cause this issue. You can figure it out yourself by reading this thread. There are two main offenders, and two minor ones.

These backplanes are most of the cost of the module to us, as they comprise the MCU and the codec, the two most expensive parts. There is a very real possibility that we will go out of business as a result of this. We'll try to not do so, and we have financing in place to get us over this hump, but it is going to greatly affect our bottom line for the next few months. If you do not need one, do not write us and ask for one ("just in case" or whatever.)

In any case, with that out of the way, I'm waiting on a board revision, then I'm waiting on some POs from retailers. Then we'll run them.
bgcriswell
I've used the dub jr. mk2 with a bunch of make noise psu's, a uzeus, 4ms row 30, tiptop mantis, Erica psu, and a structure 360. I've never had any issue with the module starting on power up. Maybe I've just been lucky. I was curious, would the wmd soft start module solve this problem people are having? Audio Damage is one of my favorite module makers and personally I'd rather spend $30 to fix this problem than potentially cause financial hardship for them. I assume less money for them would mean less module development and they've got some great things on the horizon. Please heed what Chris said and don't punish them for something that isn't their fault.
Crandall1
bgcriswell wrote:
I've used the dub jr. mk2 with a bunch of make noise psu's, a uzeus, 4ms row 30, tiptop mantis, Erica psu, and a structure 360. I've never had any issue with the module starting on power up. Maybe I've just been lucky.

No, you're the norm, by a wide margin. We've shipped several thousand of the -03-based modules, and maybe 2 dozen customers in all have had the issue. So it's not endemic. The Venn diagram of people that buy shitty racks and people that buy expensive effects doesn't have a lot of crossover. The outlier is the Doepfer PSU3, which is a popular choice for larger DIY case builds.

The weird thing: it doesn't affect all 03 modules. I have a guy here in Phoenix that bought 4 -03 modules from me and one of them exhibited the issue and the other three were fine. (He was actually the source of the fix, because he is technically proficient and patient, and allowed us to experiment a bit and figure out a way to recreate the issue on the bench.)

In any event, it's solved now, and the next run of 03 will not have the problem.
letitbleep
Crandall1 wrote:

people that buy shitty racks

Crandall1 wrote:

Doepfer PSU3

interesting logic at work here d'oh!
ignatius
letitbleep wrote:
Crandall1 wrote:

people that buy shitty racks

Crandall1 wrote:

Doepfer PSU3

i'll include the rest of the sentence for you since you're cherry pickin

Quote:
The outlier is the Doepfer PSU3, which is a popular choice for larger DIY case builds.

^^^
Crandall1
letitbleep wrote:

No logic at work there. Read what I wrote, and try again without the emoticon.
letitbleep
Crandall1 wrote:
letitbleep wrote:

No logic at work there. Read what I wrote, and try again without the emoticon.

please help my small brain understand your nuanced words. you've described power supplies that don't work with this module (but which work great with all other modules) as "shitty;" Doepfer PSU3's do not work with this module(sometimes?), but are.... not? shitty? is that what you're saying? and if so, why are the other power supplies shitty and the Doepfer not?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 4 of 6