MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Audio Damage ADM16 DubJr Mk2 ("glitch" demos added
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author Audio Damage ADM16 DubJr Mk2 ("glitch" demos added
Crandall1
The code is final and the panels are ordered today, so I figured now's as good a time as any to give this module its own thread.

ADM16 DubJr Mk2 is, as the name implies, the replacement for ADM01 DubJr. Changes:

> 6HP instead of 8HP.
> Tap tempo.
> Clock input.
> External feedback loop.
> Internal filter / saturation defeat ("TONE" switch.)
> "Jump" time in sync mode for glitchy effects. "Smooth" pitched time changes in free mode for chorus, modulation, etc.
> 48hHz 24bit (this uses a high quality Cirrus Logic codec like all the -03 modules, instead of the old Wolfson 16-bit jobby in the -01 series modules. Much lower noise floor, generally better sound.)

Otherwise, specs are the same as DubJr. I have added it to ModularGrid, for your racking pleasure. This is, like all our 6HP effects, $289, and will be shipping in about 3 weeks.

The obvious first comments and their answers:

1. Yes, it will do what I affectionately refer to as "Karplus-Wrong" if you send an osc to the clock. It has a very limited range, though, as once the frequency gets inside the DMA loop, it doesn't follow the pitch very well. You can get about an octave and a half of accurate KS-simulacra.

2. Yes, I'm well aware the Chronoblob is cheaper and has more features. We had long intended this release, and honestly, the Chronoblob kneecapped it. We ended up holding it for quite some time, and then (due to comments on another thread from customers) decided to release it anyhow. We simply can not match the Chronoblob on price; this uses much more expensive components, and our company has a much higher overhead, since it's not one person. There's no way around that.

bobbcorr
Thanks for bringing this to market, Chris.
Crandall1
Oh, and regarding the top knob:

In "FREE" mode its operation is identical to the original DubJr. In "SYNC" mode, it becomes divisions. I had originally had the divisions marked on the panel, but I decided they weren't really necessary, and were just cluttering things up. 12 O'Clock is 1:1, and (starting from full anti-clockwise) the divisions go:

/ 6, / 5, / 4, / 3, / 2, 1 : 1, x 2, x3, x4, x5, x6
Mercutio
Chronoblob is bigger So There are room on the market for both !

And we are all aware about fx !

Keep on !
mqtthiqs
Hi, what's the maximum delay time?
Thanks.
Crandall1
mqtthiqs wrote:
Hi, what's the maximum delay time?

Same as DubJr, 1 sec. We could have added the "lo-res" doubling that Chronoblob does (effectively using the existing address space with digital "words" that are half the size, with half the headroom) but I really don't like that sound. I thought about the general use case for this, which was being clocked off a sequencer or whatever at 16th notes, and the typical electronic music tempos and delay times (dotted eights and dotted quarters in the 110-140 neck of the woods) and decided that the vast majority of usage would fall well within the 1 second range.

For people that want really long delays, there are, of course, multiple solutions. This, like all of our 6HP effects, is more of a live performance solution for a bullet-proof delay effect.

I guess that was a longer answer than was strictly necessary.
tauburn
lol while alright devices is sleeping someone steals the market out from under them. great job!
ngarjuna
tauburn wrote:
lol while alright devices is sleeping someone steals the market out from under them. great job!

Pretty sure the Dub Jr. predates the Chronoblob by a time period measurable in years. This is a revision not a new product.
mqtthiqs
Crandall1 wrote:
Same as DubJr, 1 sec.

Ok, thanks

Crandall1 wrote:
I guess that was a longer answer than was strictly necessary.

But an informative one, thanks. wink

Crandall1 wrote:
We could have added the "lo-res" doubling that Chronoblob does

I don't think that's how the 'Blob gets its long delay time. I heard it had some external memory, so it can maintain its high-res across the board. Plus if it was the case there would be a discontinuity in the pitch knob when crossing the limit between low and high res... no?
Crandall1
ngarjuna wrote:
Pretty sure the Dub Jr. predates the Chronoblob by a time period measurable in years. This is a revision not a new product.

I can't begin to tell you guys how dismayed we were when Chronoblob was announced. We had planned this revision some time ago; it was on the release schedule already when Chronoblob came out, and I've talked about it many times in my retail store visits and here on Muff's prior to the 'Blob's unveiling. Both of the DubJr modules are subsets of our Dubstation plug-in, which is well over a decade old. Have a look at it for the complete feature set of our delay code. The "DubJr" name should be a clue as to the module's origins.

When Chrono was announced, we took this product out of the release schedule, and used the existing panel design to do Spectre. (Coincidentally, at the same time we also pulled our much larger looping delay, due to the advent of the 4MS module, which is more or less the same thing, albeit with a somewhat different take on the UI. That was a fucking banner week, let me tell you.)

But then supply chain problems started for the Chronoblob, and we decided we might as well. Also, this is, as was mentioned, somewhat smaller, and thus better for a live rig, which is what we intend for most of our products.
chvad
"Both of the DubJr modules are subsets of our Dubstation plug-in, which is well over a decade old."

And still the only delay plug-in I give a shit about! nanners

Def happy about this release.
VanEck
chvad wrote:
"Both of the DubJr modules are subsets of our Dubstation plug-in, which is well over a decade old."

And still the only delay plug-in I give a shit about! nanners

Def happy about this release.

Same. I still rely heavily on Dubstation, as I have for a decade now, in both the studio and on stage. Kinda bummed that 2 of my favorite features (loop and reverse) were not included in this mkII version of DubJr though.

I know the module isn't meant to be a complete remake of the VST, but I've been holding out on buying a mkI because I had hoped mkII would have these, or at least the "loop" function. Also hoped this version would be stereo like the rest of the mkII modules so far.

Is there a chance there may be a DubJr mkII expansion in the future to add a few more features and stereo functionality?
Roy72
Crandall1 wrote:

In "FREE" mode its operation is identical to the original DubJr. In "SYNC" mode, it becomes divisions. I had originally had the divisions marked on the panel, but I decided they weren't really necessary, and were just cluttering things up. 12 O'Clock is 1:1, and (starting from full anti-clockwise) the divisions go:

/ 6, / 5, / 4, / 3, / 2, 1 : 1, x 2, x3, x4, x5, x6

This looks good, I hope you sell buckets after what you;ve been through with it.

Sorry to be one of those people, but Would it be possible to add in a 1:1.5 clock, given the ratios aren't on the faceplate? I use this a lot to put the delayed note between the sequence but further down the track (a-la Kraftwerk) and I don't have the skills to tap that in manually. Wouldn't it be more useful than the 5s? maybe I'm missing a useful use for 5s.

Looking forward to it hitting the shops.
Crandall1
@VanEck: We basically went back to the drawing board with our big(ger) delay. Ultimately, I just want a Dubstation in a box, like you, and that's what we're going to endeavor to do. Down the road a piece.

@Roy72 Let me try that out. Having an off-count in the list might ruin the glitchy time mod fun in sync mode. (This is the case with the random stuff in Replicant, and I'm always hesitant to add things like that.) I'll experiment tonight, and if it's not awful, I'll add it. I see the point of it, though. In sequencers that don't have step delay (like, ahem, Sequencer 1) it is handy to add the offset.
Epignosis567
Chronoblob hp was never an option, this saved me. Thank you. we're not worthy

Edit: now how about a Kompressor mkii with a faster attack for sidechaining? wink
suthnear
Given that there are scores of near duplicates of many basic modules, the market can certainly stand a few delays with similar feature sets, particularly since yours will definitely have a character of its own. I will almost certainly be getting one

I am probably missing something, but isn't the 1.5 beat possible by setting the divider to 3 and halving the clock rate into the delay? x5 is useful, particularly with a 16th clock.
damase
Looks great. loaded at 6hp.

Sorry if i missed it, what again happens with the knobs when under vc?

Thanks!
Crandall1
damase wrote:

Sorry if i missed it, what again happens with the knobs when under vc?

The CV input is added to the knob, like in all of our products. I am very much not a fan of any other behavior.
Bogus
Nice one Chris and Adam! Keep these coming
Crandall1
Flux just put up his NAMM talk with me about DubJr Mk2. Should be informative. We've changed the DSP a bit since the video was shot, to add the "clear" and "dark" modes, and tune up the sync a bit.

tauburn
ngarjuna wrote:
tauburn wrote:

ok
NoMoreNightmares
Crandall1 thanks for releasing this. I didn't have the HP to spare, so this fits the bill perfectly!
dubonaire
Having been a Dubstation user for many years I'll definitely get this to put alongside the Synthech E580. Thanks for going ahead and releasing it.
Roy72
When are we going to get some proper demos?

What happened with the 1.5 division? it's no deal breaker of course.
Epignosis567
Still excited about this. When? we're not worthy
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 1 of 6