MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Audio Damage ADM16 DubJr Mk2 ("glitch" demos added
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Audio Damage ADM16 DubJr Mk2 ("glitch" demos added
Crandall1
The code is final and the panels are ordered today, so I figured now's as good a time as any to give this module its own thread.

ADM16 DubJr Mk2 is, as the name implies, the replacement for ADM01 DubJr. Changes:

> 6HP instead of 8HP.
> Tap tempo.
> Clock input.
> External feedback loop.
> Internal filter / saturation defeat ("TONE" switch.)
> "Jump" time in sync mode for glitchy effects. "Smooth" pitched time changes in free mode for chorus, modulation, etc.
> 48hHz 24bit (this uses a high quality Cirrus Logic codec like all the -03 modules, instead of the old Wolfson 16-bit jobby in the -01 series modules. Much lower noise floor, generally better sound.)

Otherwise, specs are the same as DubJr. I have added it to ModularGrid, for your racking pleasure. This is, like all our 6HP effects, $289, and will be shipping in about 3 weeks.

The obvious first comments and their answers:

1. Yes, it will do what I affectionately refer to as "Karplus-Wrong" if you send an osc to the clock. It has a very limited range, though, as once the frequency gets inside the DMA loop, it doesn't follow the pitch very well. You can get about an octave and a half of accurate KS-simulacra.

2. Yes, I'm well aware the Chronoblob is cheaper and has more features. We had long intended this release, and honestly, the Chronoblob kneecapped it. We ended up holding it for quite some time, and then (due to comments on another thread from customers) decided to release it anyhow. We simply can not match the Chronoblob on price; this uses much more expensive components, and our company has a much higher overhead, since it's not one person. There's no way around that.

bobbcorr
Thanks for bringing this to market, Chris.
Crandall1
Oh, and regarding the top knob:

In "FREE" mode its operation is identical to the original DubJr. In "SYNC" mode, it becomes divisions. I had originally had the divisions marked on the panel, but I decided they weren't really necessary, and were just cluttering things up. 12 O'Clock is 1:1, and (starting from full anti-clockwise) the divisions go:

/ 6, / 5, / 4, / 3, / 2, 1 : 1, x 2, x3, x4, x5, x6
Mercutio
Chronoblob is bigger So There are room on the market for both !

And we are all aware about fx !

Keep on !
mqtthiqs
Hi, what's the maximum delay time?
Thanks.
Crandall1
mqtthiqs wrote:
Hi, what's the maximum delay time?

Same as DubJr, 1 sec. We could have added the "lo-res" doubling that Chronoblob does (effectively using the existing address space with digital "words" that are half the size, with half the headroom) but I really don't like that sound. I thought about the general use case for this, which was being clocked off a sequencer or whatever at 16th notes, and the typical electronic music tempos and delay times (dotted eights and dotted quarters in the 110-140 neck of the woods) and decided that the vast majority of usage would fall well within the 1 second range.

For people that want really long delays, there are, of course, multiple solutions. This, like all of our 6HP effects, is more of a live performance solution for a bullet-proof delay effect.

I guess that was a longer answer than was strictly necessary.
tauburn
lol while alright devices is sleeping someone steals the market out from under them. great job!
ngarjuna
tauburn wrote:
lol while alright devices is sleeping someone steals the market out from under them. great job!

Pretty sure the Dub Jr. predates the Chronoblob by a time period measurable in years. This is a revision not a new product.
mqtthiqs
Crandall1 wrote:
Same as DubJr, 1 sec.

Ok, thanks

Crandall1 wrote:
I guess that was a longer answer than was strictly necessary.

But an informative one, thanks. wink

Crandall1 wrote:
We could have added the "lo-res" doubling that Chronoblob does

I don't think that's how the 'Blob gets its long delay time. I heard it had some external memory, so it can maintain its high-res across the board. Plus if it was the case there would be a discontinuity in the pitch knob when crossing the limit between low and high res... no?
Crandall1
ngarjuna wrote:
Pretty sure the Dub Jr. predates the Chronoblob by a time period measurable in years. This is a revision not a new product.

I can't begin to tell you guys how dismayed we were when Chronoblob was announced. We had planned this revision some time ago; it was on the release schedule already when Chronoblob came out, and I've talked about it many times in my retail store visits and here on Muff's prior to the 'Blob's unveiling. Both of the DubJr modules are subsets of our Dubstation plug-in, which is well over a decade old. Have a look at it for the complete feature set of our delay code. The "DubJr" name should be a clue as to the module's origins.

When Chrono was announced, we took this product out of the release schedule, and used the existing panel design to do Spectre. (Coincidentally, at the same time we also pulled our much larger looping delay, due to the advent of the 4MS module, which is more or less the same thing, albeit with a somewhat different take on the UI. That was a fucking banner week, let me tell you.)

But then supply chain problems started for the Chronoblob, and we decided we might as well. Also, this is, as was mentioned, somewhat smaller, and thus better for a live rig, which is what we intend for most of our products.
chvad
"Both of the DubJr modules are subsets of our Dubstation plug-in, which is well over a decade old."

And still the only delay plug-in I give a shit about! nanners

Def happy about this release.
VanEck
chvad wrote:
"Both of the DubJr modules are subsets of our Dubstation plug-in, which is well over a decade old."

Same. I still rely heavily on Dubstation, as I have for a decade now, in both the studio and on stage. Kinda bummed that 2 of my favorite features (loop and reverse) were not included in this mkII version of DubJr though.

I know the module isn't meant to be a complete remake of the VST, but I've been holding out on buying a mkI because I had hoped mkII would have these, or at least the "loop" function. Also hoped this version would be stereo like the rest of the mkII modules so far.

Is there a chance there may be a DubJr mkII expansion in the future to add a few more features and stereo functionality?
Roy72
Crandall1 wrote:

In "FREE" mode its operation is identical to the original DubJr. In "SYNC" mode, it becomes divisions. I had originally had the divisions marked on the panel, but I decided they weren't really necessary, and were just cluttering things up. 12 O'Clock is 1:1, and (starting from full anti-clockwise) the divisions go:

/ 6, / 5, / 4, / 3, / 2, 1 : 1, x 2, x3, x4, x5, x6

This looks good, I hope you sell buckets after what you;ve been through with it.

Sorry to be one of those people, but Would it be possible to add in a 1:1.5 clock, given the ratios aren't on the faceplate? I use this a lot to put the delayed note between the sequence but further down the track (a-la Kraftwerk) and I don't have the skills to tap that in manually. Wouldn't it be more useful than the 5s? maybe I'm missing a useful use for 5s.

Looking forward to it hitting the shops.
Crandall1
@VanEck: We basically went back to the drawing board with our big(ger) delay. Ultimately, I just want a Dubstation in a box, like you, and that's what we're going to endeavor to do. Down the road a piece.

@Roy72 Let me try that out. Having an off-count in the list might ruin the glitchy time mod fun in sync mode. (This is the case with the random stuff in Replicant, and I'm always hesitant to add things like that.) I'll experiment tonight, and if it's not awful, I'll add it. I see the point of it, though. In sequencers that don't have step delay (like, ahem, Sequencer 1) it is handy to add the offset.
Epignosis567
Chronoblob hp was never an option, this saved me. Thank you. we're not worthy

Edit: now how about a Kompressor mkii with a faster attack for sidechaining? wink
suthnear
Given that there are scores of near duplicates of many basic modules, the market can certainly stand a few delays with similar feature sets, particularly since yours will definitely have a character of its own. I will almost certainly be getting one

I am probably missing something, but isn't the 1.5 beat possible by setting the divider to 3 and halving the clock rate into the delay? x5 is useful, particularly with a 16th clock.
damase
Looks great. loaded at 6hp.

Sorry if i missed it, what again happens with the knobs when under vc?

Thanks!
Crandall1
damase wrote:

Sorry if i missed it, what again happens with the knobs when under vc?

The CV input is added to the knob, like in all of our products. I am very much not a fan of any other behavior.
Bogus
Nice one Chris and Adam! Keep these coming
Crandall1
Flux just put up his NAMM talk with me about DubJr Mk2. Should be informative. We've changed the DSP a bit since the video was shot, to add the "clear" and "dark" modes, and tune up the sync a bit.

tauburn
ngarjuna wrote:
tauburn wrote:

ok
NoMoreNightmares
Crandall1 thanks for releasing this. I didn't have the HP to spare, so this fits the bill perfectly!
dubonaire
Having been a Dubstation user for many years I'll definitely get this to put alongside the Synthech E580. Thanks for going ahead and releasing it.
Roy72
When are we going to get some proper demos?

What happened with the 1.5 division? it's no deal breaker of course.
Epignosis567
Still excited about this. When? we're not worthy
Crandall1
Epignosis567 wrote:
Still excited about this. When? we're not worthy

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that they'll be shipping to retailers the last week of February, or the first week of March. The panels are ordered, the boards are made, and the code is done. Just need to put those three things together.

To answer the earlier 1.5 question, I put it in there, and didn't like the result even a tiny bit. It greatly limits the usefulness of the cool feature (i.e. modding the divisions) to give one edge case use, and I don't think that's a good trade.

You can, of course, just put the unit in "Free" time and dial in any arbitrary delay time manually, just like the old DubJr.
tthogs
Super excited about the "jump" feature for changing delay time instantly. Im a glitch freak thumbs up
computer controlled
Moar awesomeness from AD! I need more than just the Grain Shift, i need all the things! I too use Dubstation quite a bit, and recently got Basic. All your stuff is killer, just need more of it!
james2098
gotta say that jump time feature is a great idea and could be a simple way to get some complex rhythms going on
Crandall1
Just got the artwork proof for the panels. This means I'll have them in about a week and a half, and the first modules about a week after that.

Epignosis567
Very excited
Roy72
I'd like to hear a demo with two doing a stereo delay with different divisions. The feedback loop would also make some interesting chaining action.
Crandall1
Roy72 wrote:
I'd like to hear a demo with two doing a stereo delay with different divisions. The feedback loop would also make some interesting chaining action.

I would too. :-) Unfortunately, there's only one right now. There will be more than one in a week or two.
Crandall1
I did some final touch-ups to the code today, and afterwards I made a couple recordings to show off some of the special effects. I'll do more standard stuff tomorrow, but here's some quick demos of the glitching and feedback loop.

ADM16 DubJr Mk 2 Special FX Demos
ignatius
Crandall1 wrote:
I did some final touch-ups to the code today, and afterwards I made a couple recordings to show off some of the special effects. I'll do more standard stuff tomorrow, but here's some quick demos of the glitching and feedback loop.

nice demos. enjoying the sound of this a lot.
noisejockey
+1. So glad this is coming to market even with the other competitors; its size and features are super solid. As others have mentioned, this hits a spot where other alternatives are too big or too low-fidelity.
Crandall1
The panels just arrived! They'll ship to WMD tomorrow, along with a bucket full of knobs, and the Assembling shall begin. Should be getting the first units back around the 7th or so.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCRH8z2H6dG/
NewNewRon
Roy72 wrote:
When are we going to get some proper demos?

What happened with the 1.5 division? it's no deal breaker of course.

I like this idea, too, but if it doesn't happen you can always double the tempo and div by 3...
Epignosis567
When...?? Dead Banana
tthogs
My finger is on the trigger for when this comes out. I had the car forba long time. Can't wait!
PolarIceCaves
How deep is your love , err, module?
safety
Looking mighty fine! Guinness ftw!
Crandall1
Units going to the testers today for the final workout. Assuming everything is correct, these should be shipping next week.
subdo
Any update on these? I have a 6HP hole in my rack that's begging for good delay.
Epignosis567
Yes when...??? Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana
Crandall1
Epignosis567 wrote:
Yes when...??? Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana

I should be getting the retail units TODAY!!!!

Control, Analogue Haven, Control Voltage, Detroit Modular, and Alex4 (European distro) will all be getting units in the first round. We've actually totally sold out in pre-order, so we won't be offering any through our site for the foreseeable future.

Anyhow, You can probably expect to see pre-order pages on Control and AH tomorrow, with units in your hands early next week (March 14th or so.)
Crandall1
And here they are, hot off the UPS truck!

Shipping to most dealers tomorrow. I imagine the stores that do pre-orders will have them up tomorrow at some point.

Epignosis567
YAAAASSSSSS...... we're not worthy SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo
mistertim
Hey Chris,

Apologies for what might be a stupid question, but are you aware of whether Alex4 are the only european supplier to stock them, or do they distribute to other companies over here? Will look out for stock coming in!

Cheers!

Tim
Crandall1
Alex4 are distributors; they don't sell direct. They sell to most of the stores in Europe. It's up to the individual stores whether they carry the product or not. So the best solution is to ask at your store. For what it's worth, Alex4 are owned by Schneider's, so any time Schneider's says they don't have something, it's because they haven't put it in their website or whatever. There's nothing we make that Alex4 doesn't have stock of, unless it's actually out of stock (like Sequencer 1.) We keep them well-supplied.

This is actually the source of a bit of annoyance on my part. For instance, Alex4 has re-ordered Neuron several times, yet Schneider's is apparently unaware of its existence. It's a situation of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing, it seems.

The only stores we sell direct to in Europe are Post Modular, Mattech, and Funky Junk, and the latter two are somewhat spotty in their ordering.
mistertim
Aha, great stuff - that all makes sense. Thanks for clarifying!

Cheers,

Tim
Crandall1
The product page is up on the Audio Damage site. 'Tis here.

I'll be packing the rest of the day (and tomorrow). We totally sold out of these almost immediately, so lots to do!
pinhole_sunrise
Since this has a USB port, is there any way that the module could contain alternate delay types with a "secret handshake", long push on the clock button, etc? I'd really like to see a reverse delay.

Crandall1 wrote:

Crandall1
pinhole_sunrise wrote:
Since this has a USB port, is there any way that the module could contain alternate delay types with a "secret handshake", long push on the clock button, etc? I'd really like to see a reverse delay.

This is entirely a personal preference, which is reflected in the design of all our products: I _HATE_ secret / hidden / whatever features. I want something to do what it says on the box, and not have to hunt around or know the cheat code or whatever to get the entire functionality.

So no, there isn't, nor will there be, any hidden functionality.

That said, as soon as I figure out how to predict the future, I can make a reverse delay. In real time, there is no such thing. Only clever fakes. But if I could predict the future, I probably would play the stock market and not make Euro modules. hihi
Worwell
Crandall1 wrote:
pinhole_sunrise wrote:

This is entirely a personal preference, which is reflected in the design of all our products: I _HATE_ secret / hidden / whatever features. I want something to do what it says on the box, and not have to hunt around or know the cheat code or whatever to get the entire functionality.

So no, there isn't, nor will there be, any hidden functionality.

I was wondering why ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA wasn't working.
Roy72
When can we expect some more demo's of this? I'd like to hear it doing some work on a straight sequence, kinda basic Kraftwerk style delay stuff. The glitchy is cool, but I'd like straight too.
tthogs
Just loving the mk2! Here is a patch example where the feedback loop is patched through a filter (Mannequins 3 Sisters) and blended in with the uneffected wet signal.

This delay is quirky, sometimes noisy and super musical. Bravo.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/ec-soundtrack-sfx-design/fantasy-cavern[/s]
letitbleep
where should the rear jumper be positioned?
letitbleep
letitbleep wrote:

i guess "rear" was superfluous as there's only one jumper d'oh!
John Murphy
It is almost impossible to sell Dub jr MK1 with those wobbly knobs since MK2 has been released with so much improvement...I still have classic Grainshifter and Freqshift, too. I might hold off from buying MK 2 till Audio Damage comes up with a multi-effect module or Dub jr deluxe.
savethisrocketship
letitbleep wrote:

It looks like the jumper is only for entering the bootloader, maybe? Is that what you want or are you wondering if there should be a jumper there for normal operation? If it's the latter, mine has been working fine*** without a jumper.

*** In other news - has anyone had any problems with theirs powering up with the rest of the rack? I sometimes have to turn my case of and on again to get it to go. It *seems* like it is more likely to happen when I don't already have a clock patched into the 'clock in' prior to turning on my case, but that could be a red herring. It's happened enough times that it's a thing that I am wary of, but not enough to spend too much time troubleshooting it. Just wondering... hmmm.....
fedetehk
do you know a good European retailer that has them in stock?
Crandall1
DubJr Mk2 (and most STM32-based modules that use that power regulator, and there are quite a few) aren't 100% happy with some power supplies that power the +12 _before_ the -12. This causes them to go in to a fugue state where they can't boot. We're working on a fix for this, but it is a minor issue that doesn't affect many people. I don't want to call out any particular manufacturer for having less-than-stellar power supplies, but in general, you get what you pay for in that regard. If you try to cut corners on your power supply and buss boards, this is one of many issues you're going to have to contend with down the road.

Regarding the jumper, that's used to tell the unit to boot in a mode where it can get a software update via the USB. All of our -03-based modules use this same method. (We're actually replacing the jumper with a switch in the next rev.) If the jumper is in the normal position, nearest the edge of the board, this is electrically the same as there not being a jumper at all. So if it falls off or is missing or whatever, it doesn't matter. If we push a software update, then you'll need the jumper. If you put it in the position away from the edge of the board, your unit won't boot in to normal operation, as it will be waiting for a software update.
Crandall1
fedetehk The following European stores have DubJr Mk2 in stock, that I know about.

MattTech Modular (UK)
London Modular (UK)
Postmodular (UK) (He doesn't update his website often; call him.)
Funky Junk London (ProAudioEurope.com) (UK)

Schneidersladen (Germany)

Note that we don't deal directly with most European stores; Alex4 is our distributor in Europe, and the stores deal with them. We happen to deal directly with MattTech, PostModular, and Funky Junk; Schneidersladen and Alex4 are the same thing.

So, basically, it's readily available in Europe. Ask at your local, or hit up Schneider's or one of the UK stores if your local doesn't have it.
letitbleep
Crandall1 wrote:
DubJr Mk2 (and most STM32-based modules that use that power regulator, and there are quite a few) aren't 100% happy with some power supplies that power the +12 _before_ the -12. This causes them to go in to a fugue state where they can't boot. We're working on a fix for this, but it is a minor issue that doesn't affect many people. I don't want to call out any particular manufacturer for having less-than-stellar power supplies, but in general, you get what you pay for in that regard. If you try to cut corners on your power supply and buss boards, this is one of many issues you're going to have to contend with down the road.

out of curiosity, can you say a bit more about how/why a power supply that powers the +12 before the -12 is cutting corners or less than stellar?
Epignosis567
savethisrocketship wrote:

*** In other news - has anyone had any problems with theirs powering up with the rest of the rack? I sometimes have to turn my case of and on again to get it to go. It *seems* like it is more likely to happen when I don't already have a clock patched into the 'clock in' prior to turning on my case, but that could be a red herring. It's happened enough times that it's a thing that I am wary of, but not enough to spend too much time troubleshooting it. Just wondering... hmmm.....

Just bought one and returned it, powered on maybe half the time. :(
Footkerchief
Crandall1 wrote:

It seems like the alternative to naming names is that people won't know whether the module will work in their system.
savethisrocketship
Yeah, I've got the last revision Monorocket Gemini, I was under the impression they were not substandard PSU's... hmmm.....
savethisrocketship
Epignosis567 wrote:

That sucks! Mine is definitely not that often - and tends to come back after a power reset. My heart sank the first time it happened, thought I had fried it! Thankfully I've never noticed it happen once it has powered on, which lends credence to what CRandal said about it being a PSU issue. cry
crm114
Just got this module a few days ago and am loving it. The feedback is insanity. Thanks Chris!
suthnear
Is this module as hissy as the chronoblob? It doesn't sound like it, but the demos are all fairly busy and have a fair bit of high frequency content in them anyway
tthogs
Epignosis567 wrote:

That sucks! Mine is definitely not that often - and tends to come back after a power reset. My heart sank the first time it happened, thought I had fried it! Thankfully I've never noticed it happen once it has powered on, which lends credence to what CRandal said about it being a PSU issue. cry

I've been having the same issue. It happens once every 20 or 30 times I power on.
gilesgoatboy
don't suppose anyone knows if the TipTop µZeus is one of the power supplies to watch out for here?
Epignosis567
Any update? Would really love to get a few of these but can't do it until the power issues are fixed. :(
savethisrocketship
Epignosis567 wrote:
Any update? Would really love to get a few of these but can't do it until the power issues are fixed. :(

I don't think it's being viewed as a 'power issue', seems like it's part of the hardware - optimally compatible with some, sub-optimally compatible with others... not sure if it flat out won't work with some PSU's or not.
unclebastard
chvad wrote:

It is my first choice for delay, and whatever iteration of the module is out when I build my rack will be going in as the delay. I also use the AD Ratshack ( good for cheap 'n filthy Head of David ) Ohmboyz ( outer space Lee Perry madness ) and the KingDubby AU.
21hertz
I am thinking about getting a DubJr mk2, still waiting for it to show up at any Swedish retailers though.

One question: is the 4MS Power Row 40 good enough supply without getting the boot issue?
suthnear
So is this a general issue with this series of AD modules (i.e. 6HP, single column of knobs) or is it particular to dub jr?
letitbleep
suthnear wrote:
So is this a general issue with this series of AD modules (i.e. 6HP, single column of knobs) or is it particular to dub jr?

my understanding is that the on-board voltage regulator that causes the problem is common to the entire line of AD modules. apparently other modules use this voltage regulator, although Rainmaker is the only one I'm certain of, haven't investigated beyond that.

as Chis mentioned, the problem is caused by the power supply sending +12 volts before -12 volts at start-up. my 2 year old Monorocket power supply does this, so no AD modules for me :sad banana:

edit: the thing that's still sort of mysterious to me is that it seems like the power glitch only happens some of the time for some people. I couldn't get the Dub Jr to boot up even once in 20 or so power-ons. makes me think there are other variables that haven't been accounted for yet.
Epignosis567
It's a shame too because these new AD modules are excellent. I hope they can sort this out before they take too bad a beating. I myself would really like to pick up a few of them but I can't until it gets resolved.
ethnotronics
Anyone knows about compatibility with the new Intellijel 7U cases?
The MI Tides (which is also based on an STM32F microcontroller) hasn't had problems so far.

But what is the exactly the regulator that is being discussed here?
The same microcontroller chip can be used with different regulators, no?
letitbleep
ethnotronics wrote:
Anyone knows about compatibility with the new Intellijel 7U cases?
The MI Tides (which is also based on an STM32F microcontroller) hasn't had problems so far.

But what is the exactly the regulator that is being discussed here?
The same microcontroller chip can be used with different regulators, no?

this is all independent of the microchip as far as I can tell. I wouldn't mind getting a discussion going about what this particular part is and whether or not manufacturers are going to keep using it.

to be fair, I believe Chris when he says that this is an issue for a pretty small number of users.
subdo
This isn't really a great demo but it was kind of a "study" in randomness that I liked enough to post. DubJr2 plays a big role in the patch. The main bleepy synth line goes through it. It's synched to the master clock with a free running LFO modulating DIV. The backdrop is a bunch of random drums.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/subdo/bleep-bloop[/s]

I really love this delay. It does great job of being a standard synched delay. I'll try post some stuff that features it in that role.

Edit about PSUs.

I run mine in a Cell90 (not top of the line by any measure) and tried it in one of the Intellijel 4U cases (the 42HP mini one). No issues at all.
21hertz
Trying to find clean demos where the longest delay settings possible are used together with some feedback to create maybe a 10-20 seconds of fade down tail (without introducing distortion).
I'd like to hear what the delay actually sounds like playing alone.

Anyone? smile
dash80
21hertz wrote:
Trying to find clean demos where the longest delay settings possible are used together with some feedback to create maybe a 10-20 seconds of fade down tail (without introducing distortion).
I'd like to hear what the delay actually sounds like playing alone.

Anyone? smile

Also curious about this as well...
pjay
really digging the sound on this dub jr mk2, such a clean delay. having some weird timing issues when feeding it a gate from my 4MS QCD tap out. delays sounds in time, but the clock LED on jr is flashing a strange skipped up rhythm and not a steady beat. flashes normal/steady if i give it clock from elsewhere.

is there a pdf manual for the mk2 anywhere? don't see one on the product page or via web search.
Epignosis567
Did the PSU compatibility issue with this ever get resolved? I have a Doepfer PSU3 and it's not working...
miles_macquarrie
Epignosis567 wrote:
Did the PSU compatibility issue with this ever get resolved? I have a Doepfer PSU3 and it's not working...

Not sure if it's been resolved, but if not, that is a bummer. I would like to have this module and I have a new case on the way with Doepfer PSU3 power. Let me know if you get your issue resolved.
subdo
So I just upgraded my rack to a Pitts Structure 208 and it seems DubJr doesn't like it. I got it to power on once or twice but mostly not. It works fine in the old cell90 but that's likely on the way out. It's frustrating because I really like the DubJr but if I can't get it to play nice I may have to let it go.
NewNewRon
I just took delivery of a Dub Jr II today and can confirm that it plays nicely with the Intellijel TPS80 board.

It sounds great, except, IMHO in that glitch mode when modulating the time while in sync mode. Is there any way to disable this 'feature'? It seems clear that it isn't a bug as I'm getting no noise when modulating the un-synced internal clock...
Epignosis567
Still no doepfer fix?
motiondnb
Hello Everybody,

First post on Muff Wiggler Woooo.

I was having the same issue of powering on this module with my Doepfer PSU3 supply so went to the Audio Damage support page here...

https://www.audiodamage.com/pages/support

and dropped them a line. Chris got back to me in 5 minutes, on a Sunday, and was more than happy to send me a new backplane free of charge which he said will sort out the problem. Will update this when it arrives and I try it out.
bobbcorr
motiondnb wrote:
Hello Everybody,

First post on Muff Wiggler Woooo.

I was having the same issue of powering on this module with my Doepfer PSU3 supply so went to the Audio Damage support page here...

https://www.audiodamage.com/pages/support

and dropped them a line. Chris got back to me in 5 minutes, on a Sunday, and was more than happy to send me a new backplane free of charge which he said will sort out the problem. Will update this when it arrives and I try it out.

Welcome to Muffs motiondb - I also want to express my appreciation and high regard that your choice for a first post was to shower a Euro manufacturer with praise. You are part of a terrific community and I look forward to hearing more from you.
Crandall1
Just an update on this. We _FINALLY_ (insert fanfare here) found the source of the power problem. It is, as we surmised, the fault of some PSUs that shall remain nameless but you all know what they are, not playing well with the particular iteration of the STM32F4 that we use in the 03 platform.

The bad news: this can't be fixed with a software update, as I hoped. The -12V sag causes the bootloader to crash, so it happens before we even get to where we have some control of things.

The good news: all future revisions of the 03 will _not_ have this problem. We will roll a hardware fix in to the next run of 03 modules. When we do this, we will also run off extra backplanes so that we can solve it for anyone that is experiencing the boot issue.

Now, a note: when we have the new backplanes, we will make them available to any existing customer that has the issue. HOWEVER!!!! Please be aware that the issue is _not_ our fault. It is the result of shoddy power supply design. We are aware of other digital modules from other manufacturers that experience similar boot issues, and we know the guilty parties with respect to the PSU models that cause this issue. You can figure it out yourself by reading this thread. There are two main offenders, and two minor ones.

These backplanes are most of the cost of the module to us, as they comprise the MCU and the codec, the two most expensive parts. There is a very real possibility that we will go out of business as a result of this. We'll try to not do so, and we have financing in place to get us over this hump, but it is going to greatly affect our bottom line for the next few months. If you do not need one, do not write us and ask for one ("just in case" or whatever.)

In any case, with that out of the way, I'm waiting on a board revision, then I'm waiting on some POs from retailers. Then we'll run them.
bgcriswell
I've used the dub jr. mk2 with a bunch of make noise psu's, a uzeus, 4ms row 30, tiptop mantis, Erica psu, and a structure 360. I've never had any issue with the module starting on power up. Maybe I've just been lucky. I was curious, would the wmd soft start module solve this problem people are having? Audio Damage is one of my favorite module makers and personally I'd rather spend $30 to fix this problem than potentially cause financial hardship for them. I assume less money for them would mean less module development and they've got some great things on the horizon. Please heed what Chris said and don't punish them for something that isn't their fault.
Crandall1
bgcriswell wrote:
I've used the dub jr. mk2 with a bunch of make noise psu's, a uzeus, 4ms row 30, tiptop mantis, Erica psu, and a structure 360. I've never had any issue with the module starting on power up. Maybe I've just been lucky.

No, you're the norm, by a wide margin. We've shipped several thousand of the -03-based modules, and maybe 2 dozen customers in all have had the issue. So it's not endemic. The Venn diagram of people that buy shitty racks and people that buy expensive effects doesn't have a lot of crossover. The outlier is the Doepfer PSU3, which is a popular choice for larger DIY case builds.

The weird thing: it doesn't affect all 03 modules. I have a guy here in Phoenix that bought 4 -03 modules from me and one of them exhibited the issue and the other three were fine. (He was actually the source of the fix, because he is technically proficient and patient, and allowed us to experiment a bit and figure out a way to recreate the issue on the bench.)

In any event, it's solved now, and the next run of 03 will not have the problem.
letitbleep
Crandall1 wrote:

people that buy shitty racks

Crandall1 wrote:

Doepfer PSU3

interesting logic at work here d'oh!
ignatius
letitbleep wrote:
Crandall1 wrote:

people that buy shitty racks

Crandall1 wrote:

Doepfer PSU3

i'll include the rest of the sentence for you since you're cherry pickin

Quote:
The outlier is the Doepfer PSU3, which is a popular choice for larger DIY case builds.

^^^
Crandall1
letitbleep wrote:

No logic at work there. Read what I wrote, and try again without the emoticon.
letitbleep
Crandall1 wrote:
letitbleep wrote:

please help my small brain understand your nuanced words. you've described power supplies that don't work with this module (but which work great with all other modules) as "shitty;" Doepfer PSU3's do not work with this module(sometimes?), but are.... not? shitty? is that what you're saying? and if so, why are the other power supplies shitty and the Doepfer not?
NoMoreNightmares
letitbleep wrote:
Crandall1 wrote:
letitbleep wrote:

please help my small brain understand your nuanced words. you've described power supplies that don't work with this module (but which work great with all other modules) as "shitty;" Doepfer PSU3's do not work with this module(sometimes?), but are.... not? shitty? is that what you're saying? and if so, why are the other power supplies shitty and the Doepfer not?

I'm pretty sure he's categorizing the Doepfer PSU3 as one of the power supplies that doesn't play nicely and happens to violate the previous statement about the Venn diagram. That's what makes it an outlier.
ignatius
letitbleep wrote:
Crandall1 wrote:
letitbleep wrote:

also

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/outlier

in this thread there is brief discussion about the issue at hand what adds up to a 'shitty' PSU in this case. also if you google around or use the search function on the forum you can find plenty of discussion of power supplies in general and posts about PSUs that don't really live up to the demands placed on them... or are just poorly designed/built etc.

no one wants to throw a manufacturer under the bus so you just need to read between the lines and figure out if you want to give weight to anecdotal evidence.
letitbleep
ignatius wrote:
letitbleep wrote:
Crandall1 wrote:
letitbleep wrote:

also

in this thread there is brief discussion about the issue at hand what adds up to a 'shitty' PSU in this case. also if you google around or use the search function on the forum you can find plenty of discussion of power supplies in general and posts about PSUs that don't really live up to the demands placed on them... or are just poorly designed/built etc.

no one wants to throw a manufacturer under the bus so you just need to read between the lines and figure out if you want to give weight to anecdotal evidence.

gosh ignatius thanks so much for the condescending link, really helpful stuff!

i've read the thread and am still looking for some clarification and detail from Chris about just what makes a power supply "shitty"

this -12v "sag" seems to be one characteristic that might qualify. is this a design choice or a cost-reduction measure? does this sag cause problems other than the one described here? does the Doepfer PSU3 exhibit this -12v sag? if so, why isn't the Doepfer shitty? if not, what does the Doepfer do that disallows it from functioning with this module?
ignatius
letitbleep wrote:
ignatius wrote:
letitbleep wrote:
Crandall1 wrote:
letitbleep wrote:

also

gosh ignatius thanks so much for the condescending link, really helpful stuff!

i've read the thread and am still looking for some clarification and detail from Chris about just what makes a power supply "shitty"

this -12v "sag" seems to be one characteristic that might qualify. is this a design choice or a cost-reduction measure? does this sag cause problems other than the one described here? does the Doepfer PSU3 exhibit this -12v sag? if so, why isn't the Doepfer shitty? if not, what does the Doepfer do that disallows it from functioning with this module?

not trying to be condescending.. just saying.. dictionaries are a thing. i have one by my bed so when i read at night i can look up words i don't know or understand the usage. i don't know everything. i'm ok w/that.. there's no need to get mad at someone because you don't understand his 'nuanced word' usage. seriously, i just don't get it

as for power supplies.. some are better than others regardless of the audio damage module in question. some are poorly grounded, blow up, under powered, noisy etc. i was only suggesting you do a few searches to find out which ones display some or all of these characteristics since it is unlikely you will find one manufacturer throwing another manufacturer under the bus so to speak.. and trash talking each other's products.. though it has happenned before... not often.
Footkerchief
For what it's worth, I also couldn't understand Crandall1's post. Not because I don't know what "outlier" means, but because it was unclear in which regard the Doepfer PSU is an outlier. Maybe I should link to "condescending" in the dictionary, because that term definitely applies when assuming that someone on an English-speaking forum doesn't know the word "outlier," while also failing to answer their question.

NoMoreNightmares wrote:
I'm pretty sure he's categorizing the Doepfer PSU3 as one of the power supplies that doesn't play nicely and happens to violate the previous statement about the Venn diagram. That's what makes it an outlier.

This is the best way I can find to read it, yeah -- that is, it's allegedly a shitty power supply, but people with expensive setups still use it.

Also, please throw manufacturers under the bus. Please do it loudly and publicly, especially concerning power supplies. Please make specific allegations that can be publicly verified or rebutted, so that users can make informed decisions instead of being forced to weigh a dozen vague pro-PSU3 anecdotes against a dozen vague anti-PSU3 anecdotes.

You're basically already doing all the bad parts of throwing someone under the bus with this coy "some PSUs that shall remain nameless but you all know what they are," so give us the details that might let some good also come out of this.
Crandall1
Footkerchief wrote:

Also, please throw manufacturers under the bus. Please do it loudly and publicly, especially concerning power supplies. Please make specific allegations that can be publicly verified or rebutted, so that users can make informed decisions instead of being forced to weigh a dozen vague pro-PSU3 anecdotes against a dozen vague anti-PSU3 anecdotes.

And there's the rub. This site is basically fueled by confirmation bias. "Works for me, so it'll work for you" or "doesn't work for me so it won't work for you." That's fine when you're talking about a single point source of failure, like the iPhone or some shit, and a standard that is strictly adhered to. But with Euro, you can literally have 6 different kinds of power connector in a normal, non-DIY system. Never mind all the different power supplies, cases, modules, cables. And even two modules from the same manufacturer can be distinctly different; our 01 series has different pots, jacks, and codec from our 03 and 05 series modules. So just saying "Audio Damage pots suck" or "Intellijel power supplies suck" or whatever is either impossible or idiotic, depending on your point of view.

In any case, there was a problem, and we fixed it, so shitty power supplies will only cause the normal headaches, at least as far as our modules are concerned, from here on out, and that's the last I'll speak to the matter. I don't have to throw anyone under the bus (or, in this case, buss) because we dealt with the issue.
Crandall1
In the interests of clarification, to avoid that semantic cesspool that just occurred, let me state this: there's no need to throw anybody under the bus, at least in this case. If _I_ know the PSU is shitty, and we make a design change to deal with it, we're doing it so _you_ don't know the PSU is shitty.

That makes it, as far as you're concerned, not shitty. Because it Just Works. Which is the point of the exercise.
meatbeatz
Crandall1 wrote:
In the interests of clarification, to avoid that semantic cesspool that just occurred, let me state this: there's no need to throw anybody under the bus, at least in this case. If _I_ know the PSU is shitty, and we make a design change to deal with it, we're doing it so _you_ don't know the PSU is shitty.

That makes it, as far as you're concerned, not shitty. Because it Just Works. Which is the point of the exercise.

I've designed my power distribution to better handle shitty modules so I'd have to agree. However, when you're designing modules for a format largely built on shitty PSU's it only makes sense not to rely on the PSU for your voltage references.
ignatius
apologies if i contributed to semantic cesspool.

more modules please.
letitbleep
Crandall1 wrote:
So just saying "Audio Damage pots suck" or "Intellijel power supplies suck" or whatever is either impossible or idiotic, depending on your point of view.

and yet you did exactly this when characterizing a subset of power supplies. all while using language that was both vague and inflammatory Dead Banana (don't tell me not to use emoticons)
letitbleep
Crandall1 wrote:
In any case, there was a problem, and we fixed it, so shitty power supplies will only cause the normal headaches, at least as far as our modules are concerned, from here on out, and that's the last I'll speak to the matter.

good of you to offer a fix, thanks for that

not sure what to make of the fact that you're bowing out of this conversation without actually offering any clarification on the claims you've made about the quality of other people's products, especially in response to very specific questions. i do think you may be mis-reading some aspect of the eurorack community. in the 6 years that i've been wiggling and reading this forum, it has seemed to me, to the community's great credit, that people are more legitimately concerned with detail than with whether or not something "just works."

really i'm just not inclined to show deference to a module maker if they are not approaching problems with humility and good faith

anyway, wiggle on, wigglers! SlayerBadger!
tthogs
Just wanna tip toe on in here and just say that I use Doepfer PSU-3s and and my dub jr mk2 powers on just fine every time. oops
Crandall1
letitbleep wrote:

really i'm just not inclined to show deference to a module maker if they are not approaching problems with humility and good faith

I'm not entirely sure what the point of your line of questioning is. You asked me to name specific products that cause problems, and I said two things:

1. The products have already been named, in this very thread, so there's no point in me doing so.

2. We fixed the issue on our end, so there are no more products that cause problems.

I'm comfortable naming the PSU3 as a specific case, since it is a known and common unit that we have verified problems with, and Dieter doesn't have anything to worry about from me mouthing off.

[EDIT: Verbal diarrhea that is totally unnecessary removed]
motiondnb
Ok so the first backplane Chris sent me didn't arrive weirdly so he posted another one which turned up. Check attached pics, a few differences. Sadly this new backplane didn't sort the problem so spoke to Chris and he said that’s the first time that swap hasn’t worked so unsure whats happened there. He went on to say

"In any event, we have _FINALLY_ found the absolute source of this problem, just last week. If you’re interested in the technical reason, it’s this: in the case of your power supply, when you turn it on the -12V line is sagging badly for a moment. This is, in turn, causing a cascading chain of events on our module that is resulting in the boot loader getting an over voltage and putting the module in hard fault, as we originally surmised.

Unfortunately, it required a hardware revision to the backplane and can’t be fixed with a software update. We’re doing a run of them in about 3 weeks (I’ll be ordering them as soon as I return from Superbooth). So if you can wait for about a month, I can send you a backplane that will absolutely definitely fix the problem .
lounge conjunction
Hi people

I just bought a very nice portable 416 HP Case with a Doepfer PSU-3. Both my DubJR MK2 and AEverb MK2 are not working. So i guess that the Aeverb has the same problem

When i put them back into the old case (tipTop Mantis) they do work. I have been searching for quite a while to find the solution. But obviously here it is. I'm happy with this because i was getting a headache thinking about what could cause the problem. Al my other modules are working perfect after all.

Can you please confirm that the Aeverb MK2 has the same issue? And when do you think the "new run" will be available in the Netherlands?

Thanks guys, i really like both modules, i'm also pretty sure that i can work this out with the local dealer.
lounge conjunction
Could it be a combination of the PSU and Busboard. because for me it just doesn't work smile

tthogs wrote:
Just wanna tip toe on in here and just say that I use Doepfer PSU-3s and and my dub jr mk2 powers on just fine every time. oops
tebs213
Mine works great and sounds awesome!
vonbeak
lounge conjunction wrote:
Hi people

Both my DubJR MK2 and AEverb MK2 are not working. So i guess that the Aeverb has the same problem

When i put them back into the old case (tipTop Mantis) they do work. I have been searching for quite a while to find the solution. But obviously here it is. I'm happy with this because i was getting a headache thinking about what could cause the problem. Al my other modules are working perfect after all.

Very relieved to read this. I got a new case and connected my Dub jr mk2 and my Aeverb mk1 wrong and after connecting them the right way only the Aeverb was working. I was afraid that I might had fried my Dub jr but I will check if it works on my Uzeus tomorrow. we're not worthy
vonbeak
vonbeak wrote:
I was afraid that I might had fried my Dub jr but I will check if it works on my Uzeus tomorrow.

Never mind, it's fried..
noisejockey
The DubJr is the first tempo-synced delay I've ever owned and it's made playing live delay freakouts supremely fun and entertaining. Has made my last couple of shows a lot more fun. I now have several clockable delays, but the DubJr is just so direct, it excels in its simplicity of use, it tends to be what I reach for first. Love the sound(s). Great job, Audio Damage.
henrry
My Dub Jr Mk2 happens to work for a while on synthrotek PSUs then not anymore. And then again...
I thought my previous Synthrotek PSU wasn't powerfull enough so I got a much powerfull one. Worked fine... for a while.
I ended up thinking that some modules cause a bug on the Dub Jr.
It really sucks that it happens just before a live preformance....
temaniak
Hi guys! I did not find a video review on this wonderful module, and I made my own review with blackjack and hookers! Mr. Green Mr. Green

Turn on subtitles! Its in russian!

sewcrates
Does anybody know what's up with this module? Is it discontinued? I haven't seen it available anywhere un the US in a while.
zed888
Audio Damage abandoned its eurorack line, so you'd have to find one second hand.
theelectricyouth
Reviving this thread as I just got my hands on one of these super sounding delays!

Wanted to check in with other users if they also get glitchy noise interference when changing clock divisions when using it in sync with a clock? At some divisions, I seem to get quite some noise, and if I leave the knob in that position, the noise stays as well.

Thanks in advance!
aroom
Does anyone know how to mitigate issues with this module?

It was said that the issues were fixed but I still have some problems. Very rarely the module won’t start. And more recently - and obviously during a live set - the module just stopped working for a minute. No sound would go thru it, wet or dry. And suddenly start again.

I’m using a Pittsburgh Modular EP 360, early version.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 6