MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Please bring back the D-1000
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix  
Author Please bring back the D-1000
Kummer
Or at least the bass drum and snare drum voice from the D-1000. Please
metasonix
News flash: the D-2000 uses the SAME CIRCUITS. They sound different because the D-2000 has far less hum and noise.
Kummer
News flash: I didn't know that... but now that I do.. I'm gonna give the D-2000 another look/listen....! w00t
otoskope
Interesting! (Since I have a D1000). A related question - I was toying with the idea of creating a version of the D-2000 based on three R54 and two RK1, since you have said elsewhere that those circuits are sort of similar. That would give even more patch points, but would it have similar sonic possibilities?

It wouldn't save much money, though smile
Kummer
There are not nearly enough demo's of the D-2000 (or the RK1 for that matter) available. The official Metasonix soundcloud page has a couple good ones and the "5-minutes with the D-2000" soundcloud demo really shows of it's range... but there needs to be more.

Specifically I would like to hear a demo of the D-2000 impersonating the D-1000. I have heard the D-1000 snare sound in one of the demo's, but I still haven't heard that open round kick that the D-1000 does so well.
EPTC
otoskope wrote:
creating a version of the D-2000 based on three R54 and two RK1, since you have said elsewhere that those circuits are sort of similar. That would give even more patch points, but would it have similar sonic possibilities

The one thing it wouldn't give you is the weird sub-harmonic element that can sometimes happen with the D2K, where you might send a trigger into one voice and then resonate another voices appropriately, and then both of them (or three, or four) begin singing together on the same trigger pulse. It's a really entrancing thing when it happens. With separate modules, separated by individual circuit boards, I don't think that harmonic trick would be possible.

3xR54 and 2xRK1 (with a handful of H.C. from RK2) wouldn't be bad at all, though!
otoskope
I see what you mean - in the D1000 there is plenty of such organic interaction, which I think is a big part of the quality of the instrument. So one has to weigh that against some extra VCAs and patch points...

Maybe just getting a RK1 to get some meta-noise together with my D-1000 would be a good first step.
metasonix
otoskope wrote:
Interesting! (Since I have a D1000). A related question - I was toying with the idea of creating a version of the D-2000 based on three R54 and two RK1, since you have said elsewhere that those circuits are sort of similar. That would give even more patch points, but would it have similar sonic possibilities?

Yes of course.
noisejockey
Damn you all and your Metasonix threads. Now all I can think of is a "Metasonix Music Weasel:" S-2000, D-2000, sequencers, and modulators in a 12Ux84hp suitcase. Damn, that would be amazing.

[checks bank account]
[hides beer to prevent drunken impulse purchase]
metasonix
noisejockey wrote:
Damn you all and your Metasonix threads. Now all I can think of is a "Metasonix Music Weasel:" S-2000, D-2000, sequencers, and modulators in a 12Ux84hp suitcase. Damn, that would be amazing.

I would do that but very few people would buy it. And then seriously, i just don't get it I'd see comments on other forums (especially non-English language forums from Europe) going "why is it so expensive and such crap, I can buy a Korg Minilogue and get the same sounds for 500 euros, whine whine I hate that guy".

An example from last year:
http://sequencer.de/synthesizer/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=102421
Weinglas, thanks for sticking up for Metasonix on there. I don't know how you can stand to post on a forum with so many outright trolls.
cliffman
I don't have 3 R-54's, but I did have a Synthrotek skiff, Steve was bragging about how the new power is 'massive enough to power the yellow' and so I did this:

Added a ribbon controller, and yes...it's very fun. (The English Tear is very useful, btw)
And the Synthrotek PS does indeed power the yellow, at least two of 'em.
aux.tech
metasonix wrote:
noisejockey wrote:

I would do that but very few people would buy it. And then seriously, i just don't get it I'd see comments on other forums (especially non-English language forums from Europe) going "why is it so expensive and such crap, I can buy a Korg Minilogue and get the same sounds for 500 euros, whine whine I hate that guy".

Weinglas, thanks for sticking up for Metasonix on there. I don't know how you can stand to post on a forum with so many outright trolls.

Since when do you care about what some idiots on the internet think of your gear? Fuck 'em, it isn't as if you are catering to that crowd. I wouldn't feel too bad about not being popular on a german synth forum...

I'd also buy a Metasonix Easel, although I can understand it if there isn't enough demand.
Crowyote
I also prefer the original format of the D-1000.

I'm not a rack guy, and none of my other stuff works with 1/8" cables. I mean I guess I could get one and get some 1/4" to 1/8" cables but eh ya know.

This has been the primary thing that has kept me from biting the bullet on the D-2000 every time the funds have become available.

D-1000s are exceedingly rare on the used market, and those who have them don't seem willing to part with them at all.
youkon
metasonix wrote:

BTW: I just read that thread. absolutely nothing wrong with it. ..trolls are everywhere

..hehe and yeah... Germans are Germans very frustrating often not easy for ourselves as well
Villarceau
Germany is producing most (almost all?) of the contemporary analog drum machine models at the moment (Vermona, MFB, Acidlab) so maybe it's a protectionist thing ; )
weinglas
Hi Eric,

I love your machines, so I will write my opinion.

Regarding that thread: The majority of the users liked the D2000. Of course there are always people who don't understand the concept of tube modules. I once had the wretch with me on a modular meeting and while some guys liked this trademark sound a lot, others could not understand why someone pays money for this "limited" synth. BUT: I can recognize the wretch (or a D1000) whenever I hear it, show me another synth (drum machine) that has such a trademark sound.

The combination of a S2000 and a D2000 would really make a great live synth. I will think about it, when the D2000 is available from Ulf (escapefromnoise) or Andreas (schneidersladen). But I would trigger the D2000 external (from something like the EHX clockworks) and put a modulation/drone module inside the D2000, so I could stay with 6u (or 8u with a delay/reverb).

metasonix wrote:
...And then seriously, i just don't get it I'd see comments on other forums (especially non-English language forums from Europe) going "why is it so expensive and such crap, I can buy a Korg Minilogue and get the same sounds for 500 euros, whine whine I hate that guy".

artilect99
Yes please bring back the D-1000. I think I'm going to try to piece one together out of some bandpass filters but it won't have that tube magic and 60 cycle hum and insane low end thump of the D-1000...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix  
Page 1 of 1