MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Beatstep Pro vs. Rene & Trigger man
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Beatstep Pro vs. Rene & Trigger man
Pulse81
Hey Everyone,

I've been watching a lot of demos of the beatstep pro with modular systems and I really like what I've seen. Currently, I'm using rene and trigger man in my 6u setup. I'm thinking about switching to the BSP to free up some space in my case. What are your thoughts?

-Thanks
mdoudoroff
Hmm. Highly dissimilar tools, too many personal factors in evaluating comparative merits. Rene and Trigger Man are great modules—I would advise against jettisoning them capriciously.

I had a Beatstep Pro AND a Rene. I sold the Beatstep Pro and kept Rene. I could write a whole essay why.
bobbcorr
mdoudoroff wrote:
Hmm. Highly dissimilar tools, too many personal factors in evaluating comparative merits. Rene and Trigger Man are great modules—I would advise against jettisoning them capriciously.

I had a Beatstep Pro AND a Rene. I sold the Beatstep Pro and kept Rene. I could write a whole essay why.

Agreed they are dissimilar. If I had the HP, I would have considered the Rene.
facklr
mdoudoroff wrote:
...I sold the Beatstep Pro...I could write a whole essay why.

I did write a whole essay when I sold mine over this last week...It's in my posts if you are interested.

I don't have a Rene or a Triggerman, but I do have Pamela's Workout and an ER-101, and I can say I would never trade one internal super sequencing method for 25 Beatstep Pros, let alone one. They are, in a word, particular. There are other words of course, and YMMV (of course) but, I did not find them to be as good as the videos and hype.
hyena
i read your post facklr and many others and it is clear that there are issues but i can witness that i'm using mine without any real troubles since day one (it's some months with me now and already performed live at least 4 times with it being rock solid and a great live tool).
only slight problem i encountered is that some percussive modules react to both rising and falling edge of a gate or trigger and the default mode for drum gates is not a very short trigger but sort of a longer gate. but that's more of a feature than a problem and you can always set every individual trig to his smaller length (yes, a real PITA if you have to do it for every drum hit in your set...plus you can't use it realtime).
but again, it's just some modules behaving like this (example: bastl tea kick, folktek matter, leploop cassa etc...)
i wrote to the support and they replied they will consider an option in the midi control center to set the default gate time for drum gates in a future update.

other than than i think it has great features for the buck, like different lengths on the 3 sequencers, different time bases, the ability to switch time base realtime, or to invert direction or set pendulum, the global or local transpositions and randomness...
i personally love it and think it will stay for a long time
(i also have a rené, a grids and a zorlon cannon talking about sequencers...but sometimes need a more linear, classic sequencer)
peteone
Want to trade that Rene for BSP plus cash? I have one in a mint condition that I could part with. PM me
p_ache
Rene is so much fun!
For me the only interesting part about the bsp is that it is not a computer. I don't think there is anything really interesting about it.
Rene on the other side can be modulated and I think it is really easy to come up with interesting stuff with it.
If you only use it for its snake mode, then yeah, this is maybe not worth the HP.
nectarios
mdoudoroff wrote:

Same here. I waited until FW1.3 then got a refund from Arturia.
chapelier fou
To add some confusion, i'd say that Beatstep is amazing to trigger René !
Ish
Beatstep can't touch Rene's evolving weirdness when it comes to uncovering melody. However, the Beatstep Pro pairs well with Rene, what with the 8 trigger outs that can be used for both clocking and resets..
noisejockey
The René was my first eurorack sequencer and was my only sequencer in my 6U setup when I started. It's never left, and might never leave, even now that I'm at 15U and have an Analog Four and a BeatStep Pro for non-hp-bound sequencing. The René is great at the things the BeatStep Pro isn't (more complex and nonlinear rhythms), and vice versa (storage of many sequences, multiple channels, eight drum triggers).

The BSP is, of course, rather controversial and has developed a bad reputation. My BSP only is slaved via DINSync from the A4 or Pamela's Workout to control my modular (no computer or MIDI shenanigans) and has never given me any grief (although I bought it used and have never used firmware earlier than v1.3).

If you use the René and get along with it, definitely keep it. It feels big in 6U but it'll give you results nothing else will. However, if the BSP works for you (buy one used and try it), you'd probably use more than one rack's worth of space trying to replicate its functions and features, for a whole lot more dough!
msun
mdoudoroff wrote:

i'd love to read that essay! i wanted to hate the beatstep pro but it kind of lured me into it's trap. hoping to escape
msun
I have Monome and White Whale which is more expensive than you might want . I found tho I'm using the Beatstep Pro more now.
mdoudoroff
The BSP can be used, with greater or lesser success, for a wide range of purposes, however it manifests two strong design biases:

1) it’s designed principally with dance music in mind (all you have to do is watch Arturia’s marketing videos to see exactly what they’re targeting)

2) it’s mainly designed to tie together and control multiple devices via MIDI (the CV support is brilliant and welcome but adjunct)

I got the BSP exclusively for use with my modular because it seemed like a cheap way to add capable sequencing to my modular. Objectively, it was. However, because of bias #2, a lot of BSP’s functionality fell by the wayside for me (I was only using it with modular). Also, the BSP turns out to be kind of a PITA to patch, because that wonderful array of CV ports are on the back of the BSP, they’re not labeled on the top surface, and you wind up with a fistful of very long patch cables that are hard to keep track of. Plus, I don’t make dance music, so, I felt constantly at odds with some of the UI choices that resulted from bias #1.

So I sold it and spent a ton more money on dedicated eurorack sequencer modules and am actually a lot happier.
Hirsbro
At the end of the day its a cheap dual MIDI to cv + MIDI to gate interface w00t
vedicspaceprogram
I own a Beatstep Pro and I use it with Pamela, Rene and a Voltage Memory. Even if the Beatstep Pro promo videos are hyped up and don't show how you would use it, doesn't mean it's a complete write off. The ability to save extensive patterns and to use it as a trigger interface (for manually triggering samples from Grandpa), a clock out jack, and 2 quantized cv outs make it worth the $200 I paid for it new. That's a shipload of functionality for $200.
If you would never play structured repeating music then I understand not needing one.
felixer
mdoudoroff wrote:
The BSP can be used, with greater or lesser success, for a wide range of purposes, however it manifests two strong design biases:

1) it’s designed principally with dance music in mind (all you have to do is watch Arturia’s marketing videos to see exactly what they’re targeting)

it's just a tool: you can make any kind of electronic music with it. i don't make dance music but i'm very happy with it. you can clock it from any external source: vc clock, random pulses, manual button, whatever ...

mdoudoroff wrote:

2) it’s mainly designed to tie together and control multiple devices via MIDI (the CV support is brilliant and welcome but adjunct)

you can use it without any midi/usb/computer connection. just because it has those options it doesn't mean you have to use 'm ...

yes, it took 'm a long time to iron out the bugs, but now it's stable with even more options (like chaining patterns) then ever before ... great piece of kit cool
pitri
i really like the BSP for drum triggering, not so much for sequencing though. I bought and sold a lot of modules already and the Rene is the only one i miss - so keep it and get the BSP if you need some synced standard drums.
nectarios
6 frustrating months of crashes and bugs for me and even in FW1.3 the clock was so loose it was unusable.
Killed the moment far too many times.

At least they gave me my money back.
bemushroomed
Personally I really dislike sequencers that uses knobs, its just too different from using keys and imo its not much fun. I find my 2 Stepper Acids much more fun and musical + much faster to come up with stuff than on e.g Doepfer Dark Time.. Obviously this is just personal taste.

The BSP works great here, it takes incoming BPM from Cubase and out to modular to keep it all in sync. Its sequencer I mainly use for drums. Drumming on those pads is superior to pushing buttons on a small euro-sequencer.
strangegravity
I just picked up a BSP and I have a Trigger Man I plan to keep. This is going to allow me to create some complex timing. They are very different tools. I'd keep them all.

I generally try to avoid using my PC. I find it fiddly and distracting to the creative process.

The statement that the BSP is made for dance music is ridiculous. That's like saying I saw a video of a rock band using guitars, therefore guitars are only for rock music.
Southfork
bsp is best for drum sequencing but even that has it's annoying quirks. I actually kept mine lying around thinking firmware will improve things and in a way has but 1.3 still leaves a lot of shit to be done, it's bst time now.

1. No automatic saving when moving between patterns so add one hit, save, ooh maybe add another hit on this track, save, you forget you loose it. Triggerman does this effortlessly.

2. Random and probability effects every damn track on the drum channel. Annoying as could have been so useful. Generally for percussion you want your kicks or claps snares constant and the rest doing its random thing. Why not per track?

3. Funky gate length, when doing complex patterns I noticed it skipping steps. Of course this was gate length so you literally have to adjust gate length for every damn track.

4. It just freaks out. Sometimes I'd be entering steps and they'd lock on, switch between patterns, better again.

It's flakey full stop, not something you can rely on, don't get me started on the sloppy clock!
Captain77
chapelier fou wrote:
To add some confusion, i'd say that Beatstep is amazing to trigger René !

Yeah! It's peanut butter jelly time!
I have both and Rockin' Banana! I like both. Very differenti features, too much difficult to compare.
Beatstep Pro does standard stuff very well, while Rene' is much more for lead/fantasy/bizzarre...
razzkazz
Sorry to post in an old topic but since there have been some firmware updates to the BSP after what has been discussed here I was wondering if any of these updates have made people think again about their woes in regards to the BSP.
Any positive experiences?
BenA718
The BSP had a bumpy takeoff. I still use mine, mostly as a MIDI clock to CV clock converter from my main MIDI sequencer (MC-500). It’s definitely improved since 2016 but the core of the complaints above still ring true.

For simple, loop based sequencing it works fine, particularly with MIDI. For more in depth sequencing I use the MC-500 and a NerdSeq.

I don’t like the fact that you need to use the MIDI Control Center frequently, even when you think you have your setup completed. Pattern chaining extended the BSP’s lifespan in my setup by two years but I am much happier now with the setup I am currently using for my music.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2