MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Search is fixed!!! Apologies for the downtime.

New MIDI-controlled 8-bit pixel synth: Ming Micro
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author New MIDI-controlled 8-bit pixel synth: Ming Micro
jbartee
Hey video enthusiasts! cross-posting from general gear:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=155372

We're launching a kickstarter campaign for a portable, low-cost version of our Ming Mecca euro modules. Ming Micro trades control voltage for USB and MIDI and includes a whole boat of cool video features and some audio features too. check out the campaign vid below! thanks for your eyeballz smile

campaign video:

campaign link:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/533748033/ming-micro-portable-8-b it-video-synthesizer
MATSmile
Ahhhh!! So cool!! applause
DSC
I'd jump right in if you could get LZX stuff to work with this, without any adapters.
wednesdayayay
Will this work through a v4 mixer does anyone with a v4 also have a nes or snes they could test with?

I would love to get this but if it will only be a stand alone thing that would deal a serious blow

I'm thinking of either sending a camera feed on a monitor displaying this (not really ideal) or trying to do a video capture then sending it from something like the keedox box as recorded media but i would imagine some of the magic 60fps would be lost in translation

I can see using it stand alone in a limited way but processing this video would absolutely be my use case scenario

At 200 though it seems like a no brainer
On an unrelated note if you are into board games evolution climate just started a kickstarter and I've been playing evolution the regular game with my after school group lately they love it.
gzifcak
i see they mention that it might not work with LZX or other NTSC gear, can anyone explain why? i was under the impression that 240p was fully compatible with 480i (same number of lines in the same time period) which is why they made video games in that format. why would it work with a TV but not other NTSC gear? i guess i dont know enough about how the offset interlaced lines are handled, because i guess that offset needs to be removed to display a progressive scan?
Jasper
Rad!
jbartee
wednesdayayay wrote:
Will this work through a v4 mixer does anyone with a v4 also have a nes or snes they could test with?

I just ordered a V4 yesterday to test with. I've seen videos of them working with NESs so i'm 99% sure it'll be fine with Ming Micro, but i'll post here to confirm once i've tested

gzifcak wrote:
i see they mention that it might not work with LZX or other NTSC gear, can anyone explain why? i was under the impression that 240p was fully compatible with 480i (same number of lines in the same time period) which is why they made video games in that format. why would it work with a TV but not other NTSC gear? i guess i dont know enough about how the offset interlaced lines are handled, because i guess that offset needs to be removed to display a progressive scan?

The problem is that the LZX CTBC wasn't ever tested with 240p gear, and it just can't lock sync on a non-interlaced source. Lars is planning on modifying our driver at some point to include interlaced output (as well as PAL, hopefully), but we don't have a concrete timetable and still aren't sure if it's 100% possible -Ming Micro is very memory starved, so verbose code changes might pose a problem.
Paulyvoks
Just hooked this up.
I'm running Ming Mecca into a V4 and out into a Visual Cortex no problem here.
jbartee
Paulyvoks wrote:
Just hooked this up.

oh wow, awesome news!! thanks for confirming
gzifcak
jbartee wrote:

The problem is that the LZX CTBC wasn't ever tested with 240p gear, and it just can't lock sync on a non-interlaced source. Lars is planning on modifying our driver at some point to include interlaced output (as well as PAL, hopefully), but we don't have a concrete timetable and still aren't sure if it's 100% possible -Ming Micro is very memory starved, so verbose code changes might pose a problem.

can you elaborate on the technical difference between the formats? my impression was they both draw 240 lines at 60 hz, just that that's a whole frame of 240p but only half a frame (every other line) of 480i. i assume 480i shifts up and down by a line width every other cycle? i'm just curious to learn more about the technology.
gzifcak
wait is it just the difference between 29.97 hz (x2) for NTSC and 60 hz for video games?. i know TVs arent that picky about exact timing but maybe the LZX is.
jbartee
gzifcak wrote:
wait is it just the difference between 29.97 hz (x2) for NTSC and 60 hz for video games?. i know TVs arent that picky about exact timing but maybe the LZX is.

the main thing is that 240p doesn't use both fields, it completely ignores the second field so the scan lines are always drawn in exactly the same space. The unused field is literally black, unused lines.

So the timing used is a little bit different because it has to cause the CRT to skip the unused field. as i understand it, field switching is normally achieved via a half-line offset. 240p omits the offset (or uses an even number of them), so the next field is never triggered.
SineBrave
Any updates on the Ming Micro?
wednesdayayay
last I heard they have made the first 20 units and were working to get the build time down slightly

eagerly anticipating this one
monads
Paulyvoks wrote:
Just hooked this up.

Jordan also did a video demonstrating this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4YNTa4zUdc

The cheapest pass-thru option is using a Panasonic DMR-E80H DVD/hard disk recorder.
Matos
Got mine today. So much fun. No manual yet that I can find. But I found this midi chart that lets you get crazy.
http://www.specialstagesystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Ming-Mic ro-MIDI-Implementation.pdf
Jaytee
Hmm. Anyone know a good way to get in touch about this? I did a slacker backer-type thing, sent my payment to Dr Bartee a few days after the kickstarter ended. Haven't heard anything since the email confirming receipt of payment months ago. I emailed him at the same address about 3 weeks ago, when he said he was taking a survey of all backers to confirm addresses, and didn't hear back. It seems a few people are receiving their units; obviously I'd be among the last to receive one, but I am not even sure anyone has my correct mailing address...
wednesdayayay
all the editors and manuals are on the SD card!
the world packer application didn't work for me and at least one other person
you can download at least one new world pack from the manufacturers website

the editor makes a good midi modulator to see what this thing is capable of

I can't wait to hook it up to some physical controls though

and figure out how to do the sprite sheets
Matos
Yeah. Took me a bit to figure out the manual and stuff was on the card. Doh! Spent the night setting up all the cc's in ableton. Will try to figure out sprite sheets tomorrow.
maggan
Is there one for sale anywhere?
twdindustries
Just got my kit on Tuesday, plan to assemble over the weekend. Did anyone else go the DIY route with this?
wednesdayayay
yes sprite sheets are completely new to me too
the worldpacker (I think that is what it is called) download from the kickstarter update seems to be working for me but I'm not sure how to use it just yet
monads
World Packs = is the data set that Ming loads into RAM

World Packer = is a utility to compile World Pack data easily. It does not however transcribe the Palette's (only designs for maps/tiles/sprites).

Below is a design I haven't finished. The Ming provided WPACK_img file is opened in a photo editing software and each pixel hand drawn. I'm not a pixel artist hihi The shit takes a lot of time/experimenting with designs and of course Palettes! I own Ming Mecca (not Micro). Micro does look like you can draw/create stuff easily on the fly using the Micro Edit.

Jaytee
asdf
timebombtimmy
twdindustries wrote:
Just got my kit on Tuesday, plan to assemble over the weekend. Did anyone else go the DIY route with this?

Hey, new to the forum here. I did go the DIY route, and assembled it 2 weekends ago. Took me the better part of an afternoon, but it had been a while since I last soldered so I had to warm up a bit. It powered on properly the first time.

I've been working off and on on a simple animation just to get a feel for it. I am MIDI controlling it with an Akai MPC 1000 with JJOS2XL.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2