MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

NonLinear Circuits - 329 Phase Flange
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author NonLinear Circuits - 329 Phase Flange
MatrixModulator
So i start a new thread for the 329 Phase Flange from NonLinear Circuits.
It has a part where we have to match components and some details worth to mention.

I will try to update this post as i build the module. MY ASS IS BLEEDING

The official post on his blog:
http://nonlinearcircuits.blogspot.com.au/2016/01/329-phase-flange.html

The build guide:
http://www.sdiy.org/pinky/data/329%20Phase%20flange%20build%20and%20BO M.pdf


Some info Andrew gave me:
Quote:

Check the instructions in the build guide and use either the simple circuit given or go to the Keen link and use the circuit given there (better). Using these circuits you just need to measure voltages so any decent MM will work.
You will be lucky finding a matched pair from a batch of 10 (20-40 is a good batch). Find the two close enough and it will probably be ok, these are for the output amp stage rather than tuning.
J112 are what I used.

Also, with the top 10 matched NPN transistors (BCM847) , if you look closely at the PCB, 2 of the 3 pins on each side will be connected toether when they are soldered onto the PCB. so it will look like solder bridges but they are okay.
The 11th NPN matched pair does not have any pins connected so make sure there are no solder bridges on this one.
cheers
andrew



Pictures from NLC:



oberkorn
will get started on this one once I'm done with my other NLC modules
synthdude

[s]https://soundcloud.com/cmos-170971430/phase-drone[/s]
Just finished mine. I replaced the 470k with a 100k for better sweep of the filter. Check out the audio sample.
MatrixModulator
That is a nice sweep there!
indigoid
MatrixModulator wrote:
That is a nice sweep there!


I just had that Soundcloud bite cranked up on some Yamaha studio monitors in the lounge at my friend's house... so very Steve Jobs, the only furniture here in the entire place are two beds and... two beanbags. That's it. And he's been living in this place for over a year. It sounded amazing. A perfect counterpart to the "lively" wind/rain outside.

All that lovely modulation got me thinking about building a quad (or more) AR generator with a mixer section on the end, then I realised I already have one in the rack!
malnatim
synthdude wrote:

Just finished mine. I replaced the 470k with a 100k for better sweep of the filter. Check out the audio sample.


that was quick. it sounds great! does it track well when self oscillating? looks like a lot of cv inputs. the main out and the aux are blend of dry and wet signal? are they identical?
synthdude
malnatim wrote:
synthdude wrote:

Just finished mine. I replaced the 470k with a 100k for better sweep of the filter. Check out the audio sample.


that was quick. it sounds great! does it track well when self oscillating? looks like a lot of cv inputs. the main out and the aux are blend of dry and wet signal? are they identical?


I haven't tried yet to play it like a VCO but it goes out of control at full res. Im sure that can be adjusted somewhere in the circuit. The "Main" out is the phased output. The other outs are not phased, and they sound like a standard LPF, and they do sound a lot like each other.
synthdude
indigoid wrote:
MatrixModulator wrote:
That is a nice sweep there!


I just had that Soundcloud bite cranked up on some Yamaha studio monitors in the lounge at my friend's house... so very Steve Jobs, the only furniture here in the entire place are two beds and... two beanbags. That's it. And he's been living in this place for over a year. It sounded amazing. A perfect counterpart to the "lively" wind/rain outside.

All that lovely modulation got me thinking about building a quad (or more) AR generator with a mixer section on the end, then I realised I already have one in the rack!


Thats exactly how I intended it to be heard. Loud as hell! I was blasting it in my room yesterday. Some of the modulation you hear in the middle somewhere is me flipping the "Invert" switch back and forth. The "Invert" switch really changes the sound in a good way.
malnatim
synthdude wrote:
malnatim wrote:
synthdude wrote:

Just finished mine. I replaced the 470k with a 100k for better sweep of the filter. Check out the audio sample.


that was quick. it sounds great! does it track well when self oscillating? looks like a lot of cv inputs. the main out and the aux are blend of dry and wet signal? are they identical?


I haven't tried yet to play it like a VCO but it goes out of control at full res. Im sure that can be adjusted somewhere in the circuit. The "Main" out is the phased output. The other outs are not phased, and they sound like a standard LPF, and they do sound a lot like each other.


i think the phase output would need to be mixed externally with the dry signal for it to actually sound like it's being phased. maybe the main out sounds phased as it's being mixed with dry signal internally. maybe aux is another fully wet output at different degree of phase offset to the phase output. i'm just guessing here. i'm going to have a look at schematic tonight. not that i can fully understand them! waiting to see how i get on with the FK1T before this, but def. want to build.
malnatim
looks like the main out and the aux are both mixes of wet and dry signal. i think the aux is the inverse of the main. i guess these are like the L + R outputs on the orig. the phase out is 100% wet. so you can use a mixer to blend with dry signal and create your own feedback loop. re. cv there's 2 exponential inputs (labeled 1v/oct), 1 with attenuation. there's also an unattenuated linear input and unattenuated cv input. i'm not sure how this cv input differs from the unattenuated 1v/oct input? i don't understand enough to know. can anyone please explain? the orig also has a cv input labeled flange. not sure what they mean by that. maybe it corresponds with the cv input on nlc 329. not found orig schematic. this is interesting though…

http://retrosynthads.blogspot.co.uk/2010/07/aries-ar-329-voltage-contr olled.html

in the cool demos from synth dude and andrewf it def sounds throaty (as they describe in link). to my ears, it has a plastic-y, stretchy quality. sounds great. i really look forward to building / listening.

Footkerchief
malnatim wrote:
looks like the main out and the aux are both mixes of wet and dry signal. i think the aux is the inverse of the main. i guess these are like the L + R outputs on the orig. the phase out is 100% wet. so you can use a mixer to blend with dry signal and create your own feedback loop. re. cv there's 2 exponential inputs (labeled 1v/oct), 1 with attenuation. there's also an unattenuated linear input and unattenuated cv input. i'm not sure how this cv input differs from the unattenuated 1v/oct input? i don't understand enough to know. can anyone please explain? the orig also has a cv input labeled flange. not sure what they mean by that. maybe it corresponds with the cv input on nlc 329. not found orig schematic. this is interesting though…


Does anyone have more info on the controls/inputs? Specifically:
- is there a difference between the two inputs or are they just mixed?
- which channel's IN and 1V/OCT are attenuated by the knobs? both?
- what's the difference between CV and LINCV?
- what does the FREQ knob do?

This thing sounds amazing, but I don't want to buy one without knowing what the controls do!
andrewF
Footkerchief wrote:
malnatim wrote:
looks like the main out and the aux are both mixes of wet and dry signal. i think the aux is the inverse of the main. i guess these are like the L + R outputs on the orig. the phase out is 100% wet. so you can use a mixer to blend with dry signal and create your own feedback loop. re. cv there's 2 exponential inputs (labeled 1v/oct), 1 with attenuation. there's also an unattenuated linear input and unattenuated cv input. i'm not sure how this cv input differs from the unattenuated 1v/oct input? i don't understand enough to know. can anyone please explain? the orig also has a cv input labeled flange. not sure what they mean by that. maybe it corresponds with the cv input on nlc 329. not found orig schematic. this is interesting though…


Does anyone have more info on the controls/inputs? Specifically:
- is there a difference between the two inputs or are they just mixed?
- which channel's IN and 1V/OCT are attenuated by the knobs? both?
- what's the difference between CV and LINCV?
- what does the FREQ knob do?

This thing sounds amazing, but I don't want to buy one without knowing what the controls do!

The two inputs are mixed and are both attenuated by the IN pot, as per the original Aries design.
The 1V/oct input in the upper row of jacks goes to the corresponding pot, the one in the lower row is straight thru.
CV is labelled 'Flange' on the Aries panel, but on the schematic someone has crossed off 'Flange' and written 'CV'.......really it can be used to jam a CV in to the module or as a Flange input (not a true Flange as some have pointed out). Either way a great use of this module is to have two different VCOs plugged into it,one to an input, the other into the CV/Flange input. Have the VCOs running closely together and wait for the beat frequencies.
Lin CV comes after the log circuit and injects voltage straight into the base of the phase shift network.
All the CVs connect at the base, the audio signals start at the top.

The Freq knob sets the fundamental frequency around which the circuit will operate. Basically patch in your signal and tweak the Freq knob (and Res/Q) until it sounds good.

Not sure how you are with schematics, for me it is the easiest way to grok a circuit, it is in the build manual -
http://www.sdiy.org/pinky/data/329%20Phase%20flange%20build%20and%20BO M.pdf
DayZ
Does any know if the module can be bananafied , if yes how complicated would it be ? is the circuit heavily normalized ? or no switches needed for the bananafication of this module

It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners
andrewF
should be easy, no normalizing needed
sanders
I gotta say, this thing sounds super phenomenal; there's a few NLC modules I'd like to build, but this one really stands out. The FK-1 filter sounds pretty fantastic too.

But... I'm still pretty hesitant about soldering a whole SMT module. It seems like a real pain. Is there any chance that kits could be offered with pre-fab SMT components in the future?
andrewF
sanders wrote:
I gotta say, this thing sounds super phenomenal; there's a few NLC modules I'd like to build, but this one really stands out. The FK-1 filter sounds pretty fantastic too.

But... I'm still pretty hesitant about soldering a whole SMT module. It seems like a real pain. Is there any chance that kits could be offered with pre-fab SMT components in the future?


Maybe, but the potential issues of shipping out assembled but untested PCBs put me off a bit. Some modules are easy to trouble-shoot by email but others can be very difficult, especially if the builder is inexperienced.

Most of my modules are available assembled and ready to use, which is likely the best option if you want the 329Phaser.
synthdude
SMD is not that hard at all. In fact I find it a lot faster to build than normal through hole. The key is being patient and not rushing it. The spot where you get into trouble is when you get solder in between the pads on a part like a resistor or cap. You can avoid that problem by using a fat chisel head tip on your iron that can reach both sides of the part at the same time. You don't need a reflow oven, just a good iron and a wide tip. It is also VERY easy to remove or replace a part. Replacing a part on through hole is a major pain, and it can ruin a board.
Roy72
I have had mine (pre-built) for a couple of days, I can't believe how great this thing sounds. I've been using the moogerfooger, but that doesn't have the low end growl of the 329, and the slightly detuned oscillator into the CV input is highly recommended.

I'd have liked a cv over the resonance, I think it would sound great with a little ping at the start of a note. Can the phase out be used to roll your own Q?
andrewF
Roy72 wrote:

I'd have liked a cv over the resonance, I think it would sound great with a little ping at the start of a note. Can the phase out be used to roll your own Q?


The resonance path is pretty much the main out fed back to the input via the Q pot.
So to get CV control, you could feed the main out to a VCA then back to one of the inputs. Probably best to turn the Q pot to zero when you do this, but of course, feel free to experiment.
Roy72
andrewF wrote:
Roy72 wrote:

I'd have liked a cv over the resonance, I think it would sound great with a little ping at the start of a note. Can the phase out be used to roll your own Q?


The resonance path is pretty much the main out fed back to the input via the Q pot.
So to get CV control, you could feed the main out to a VCA then back to one of the inputs. Probably best to turn the Q pot to zero when you do this, but of course, feel free to experiment.


Thanks! It works, but you need to go through an external mixer to get the balance between the input and the Q right, to get enough ping compared to the input. I'll keep experimenting.
cranleigh
synthdude wrote:
[s]https://soundcloud.com/cmos-170971430/phase-drone[/s]
Just finished mine. I replaced the 470k with a 100k for better sweep of the filter. Check out the audio sample.


This is magnificent! Building one tout suite!
Footkerchief
I've been using one of these for about 9 months.

The control choices (from the original design) are a little odd -- there are four CV inputs, and the only one that has an attenuator is a 1v/oct input. The resonance goes straight from calm to full screaming self-oscillation. It doesn't really need an input mixer or a second 1v/oct input. That space (not that there's a shortage on the panel) would be better used for more CV attenuverters.

That said, it's the best-sounding phaser I've ever heard and I strongly recommend it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group