MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Questions about feeding CV into a DAW
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Questions about feeding CV into a DAW
99centimos
Hi!

I was thinking about eventually getting the Expert Sleepers ES-6 (I'm already an ES-3 user) as a solution for triggering one hit sounds, percussions, etc, in Ableton Live.

My idea is to feed my modular triggers, clock dividers, etc, into the ES-6 and use them to trigger sounds in the DAW. Can anybody doing this share his or her input? Is it feasible... or worthwhile?

Any good sound/video examples of this? This is fun!
milkshake
99centimos wrote:
Hi!

I was thinking about eventually getting the Expert Sleepers ES-6 (I'm already an ES-3 user) as a solution for triggering one hit sounds, percussions, etc, in Ableton Live.

My idea is to feed my modular triggers, clock dividers, etc, into the ES-6 and use them to trigger sounds in the DAW. Can anybody doing this share his or her input? Is it feasible... or worthwhile?

Any good sound/video examples of this? This is fun!

All you need is a soundcard with DC coupled inputs. MOTU come to mind.

But it can also be done with midi, this makes it easyer to trigger sounds in your DAW. For this you need a CV to midi converter. Doepfer has one and Analogue Systems has one as far as I know.
flo
There are no audio interfaces with DC coupled inputs (Motu et al. are about the outputs!). Only ES.
milkshake
flo wrote:
There are no audio interfaces with DC coupled inputs (Motu et al. are about the outputs!). Only ES.

Didn't know that.

Thanks.
99centimos
I already have a MOTU interface... and the ES-3. I wanted to pair it with the ES-6 to have all the ins and outs to-and-from the DAW...
darwingrosse
99centimos wrote:
I already have a MOTU interface... and the ES-3. I wanted to pair it with the ES-6 to have all the ins and outs to-and-from the DAW...

I used to do this a lot, although I never used the voltages directly in the DAW - rather, I had Max act as an intermediary, turning the CV stuff into signals that were better suited for a DAW's needs.

Then I grew tired of it. But the ES-3/ES-6 combo worked wonders!
99centimos
Thanks guys!

darwingrosse, I think in the beginning I'd use Silent Way's own CV-to-MIDI, from there we'll see. Great to know that the combo works great!
spazige
At the moment I have an RME Fireface 802 set up with ableton on a PC and hanging off the ADAT of that a Ferrofish expander.

I'd like to be able to use the new ableton live 10.1 CV tools for my semi modular (and future eurorack) and silent way stuff for CV, but don't know if it's possible to add another interface for the DC coupled thing? I have an old MOTU knocking about but can ableton handle adding that as well?

I thought maybe using the RMEs adat was the answer but the ferrofish is using that. I could maybe add an A/B ADAT switch (if they exist) to flip between the ferrofish and an ADAT expert sleepers or something?

Stuck to know how or if I can do it!
evileye0702
spazige wrote:
At the moment I have an RME Fireface 802 set up with ableton on a PC and hanging off the ADAT of that a Ferrofish expander.

I'd like to be able to use the new ableton live 10.1 CV tools for my semi modular (and future eurorack) and silent way stuff for CV, but don't know if it's possible to add another interface for the DC coupled thing? I have an old MOTU knocking about but can ableton handle adding that as well?

I thought maybe using the RMEs adat was the answer but the ferrofish is using that. I could maybe add an A/B ADAT switch (if they exist) to flip between the ferrofish and an ADAT expert sleepers or something?

Stuck to know how or if I can do it!

Using multiple audio interfaces at once in Windows is a bit of a pain. See ASIO4ALL for about the only solution. It's much easier on a Mac because it supports aggregate devices.

You don't NEED to use Silent Way as Ableton's CV Tools is an alternative. Silent Way does have more features but is more difficult to setup and use.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1