MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

D1000 pitch changes without touching the knobs
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix  
Author D1000 pitch changes without touching the knobs
reverberation
Hello,

I had to sell my D1000 to finance an Easel. I miss it already though.
Might try to find another one when I've got money again.

Well, anyway. I shipped the D1000 to the buyer and now there seems to be some weird thing happening. There's like a pitch thingy going on when he plays the D1000. Not twisting anything, still there's changes happening.

Please check this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FN8GW5rmRI

What could be causing this?
I've told the buyer to test the D1000 in different rooms with different power sources. Perhaps there's something in his studio interfering with the D1000?
metasonix
You mean that tiny little change of pitch? Normal. No idea why it does that although I tend to suspect his AC power mains are not very stable.

He wants a D-1000, he learns to put up with "flaws".
papz
I confirm mine also does.
It's part of the beast's behaviour.
Hainbach
Mine does not.
timoka
mine does that too, but not so obvious, i have some quartet tone shifts. but this example seems a bit extreme to me...
reverberation
I told him to try it elsewhere and it worked. Must be power failure in his studio. Something interfering.

Now he has problem with triggering the D1000 sounds from an external sequencer. He says the sounds "double trig".
He's using a MFB SEQ1.

What could be causing this?
I was thinking perhaps it's like the difference between trig and gate.
Trig only send one pulse, right? But gate is two - one when the "note" is triggered and one when the note stops playing. For instance, when you press a key and lift the finger again.

Is there a solution for his problem? Could it be a gain issue, too hot signal or the opposite?
The strange thing is there's a youtube clip where someone's using the exact same combo. D1000 + SEQ1.

Before selling and shipping the D1000, I made this video where I show that everything works, including triggering the sounds from an external sequencer. In this case the Korg SQ1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Yf0lrcRz2g

I guess if he doesn't solve this, there will be a D1000 for sale pretty soon...
metasonix
reverberation wrote:
Now he has problem with triggering the D1000 sounds from an external sequencer. He says the sounds "double trig".
He's using a MFB SEQ1.

The pulses from the SEQ1 are too long. We tried an MFB SEQ-02 and found it produced short pulse outputs and worked perfectly. He's using the wrong sequencer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFmXgCsGrgg

Tell him to get a Triggerman. Please.
Crowyote
reverberation wrote:

I guess if he doesn't solve this, there will be a D1000 for sale pretty soon...

I'll take it, if he doesn't want it. Dead Banana Bop!
Hainbach
Reverberation, I would quit giving tech support to the buyer. He has bought a machine that is full of quirks and he needs to master it instead of bugging you.
papz
Could this be related to the electrolytic caps ?
From memory, when I did measurements in my D-1000, I noticed about 24V on a 16V rated one.
metasonix
papz wrote:
Could this be related to the electrolytic caps ?
From memory, when I did measurements in my D-1000, I noticed about 24V on a 16V rated one.

No, because the capacitor would have exploded. What AC voltage were you feeding it?
papz
I was also surprised it didn't explode. I'll check again.

I use this AC PSU http://www.schneidersladen.de/en/metasonix-netzteil-12vac.html
papz
I re-checked, there's actually about -19V (slightly fluctuating) on the negative pole of this cap.

metasonix
That should be okay. Electrolytic caps always have a 25% or more underrating. We've had very few problems with those caps.
papz
OK thanks
So far it works and I love it SlayerBadger!
papz
The pitch instability got very strong in my D-1000. This was because of the pots. Some were erratic, wobbly, scratchy, I replaced them all and it really improved the global stability and setting accuracy.

Eric recommended those 1M audio ones, are ok for all 4 sound modules but the clock one is 100k lin.
https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Alpha-Taiwan/RV112BCF-40-25F-A16?q s=%2Fha2pyFadujAscngk4DgMNb%252By8FpfdGnmZZnM1wloPYGaflJBnN%2FSQ%3D%3D
They have a shorter shaft, which is not a bad thing (long shaft with the knob in the air causes more stress to the pot, which is not screwed to the panel) but is too short for the original soft touch skirted knobs. I swapped them with my S-2000's knobs before I get new ones.
metasonix
papz wrote:
Eric recommended those 1M audio ones, are ok for all 4 sound modules but the clock one is 100k lin.
https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Alpha-Taiwan/RV112BCF-40-25F-A16?q s=%2Fha2pyFadujAscngk4DgMNb%252By8FpfdGnmZZnM1wloPYGaflJBnN%2FSQ%3D%3D

Those are the only ones readily available from a distributor, that I can find. Alpha still makes other values and shaft lengths, but they have a 2500-piece minimum order.
darmklacht@gmail.com
holy crap!

I wish my d-1000 was as stable as the one in the video. There is no way I can get a halfway steady pitch. some pitches can´t be dialed in at all as it directly moves to other piches as soon as release the knob. this goes way beyond the semitone region. sometimes I´m more lucky playing with the CV knob to find certain piches. Its been that way since I bought it (used) and figured it was part of the `quirks` everyone was talking about... but hearing this one and reading that some models are even more stable gets me thinking mine is not 100% up to spec

I tried it with another (reccomended by metasonix) PSU and in diffrent buildings so I just figured out this is how theese buggers roll. the only time it seemed more stable was when I was using a PSU with 18v AC

Papz: does that seem similar to what you where experiencing? my pots dont crackle though

The d-1000 still is fucking awesomesauce but the pitch stability issue on mine makes it difficult to improvise with and would love to improve on it.
papz
What made me suspect the pots is not only the crackling but the pitch jump that occured when I touched the pot.
Using the CV pot as a fine tune works fine, actually with mine I mostly manage pitch changes with this pot.
darmklacht@gmail.com
thanks papz! SlayerBadger!

Ok Interesting. mine changes pitch as soon as I touch the knob or release it. the volume knob doesnt seem to be as affected by this neither does the clock speed knob. does it make sense that just the three tune knobs would be flakey?

anyone else with this problem?
papz
You're welcome.
The sweet spot area on the frequency pots course is quite small, therefore they are more affected by even small changes. On the volume ones it was rather cracklings.
ritchiedrums
lol lol You mean that Tube Drum machine isn't STABLE!?!?! lol lol

Agony!
papz
We're not talking about the small drift which is part of the D-1000 character and charm but about serious instability caused by faulty pots that make an accurate and durable tuning impossible.
darmklacht@gmail.com
Well papz,

I think soon I will need to send you my d-1000.

I don´t want to but I guess I have to. I love the thing to bits for its sounds its incredible dirty but with oh so natural groove.

Part of me is glad to hear its faulty. I really hated how much luck was needed to dial in a lower frequency. I´m not talking about exact and stable pitches. but it was always just slowly turning the knob slightest bits and then releasing it and then then see what pitch it would eventually settle on. turning left frequently gave me higher pitches seriously, i just don't get it some more determination on part of the machine wouldnt be a bad thing.

I´m also a bit annoyed I thought this would have been what many considered to be character... I paid a premium for this device but it arrived in this state. spending more to get it in shape does blow a little. looking forward though to making a bit more stable racket!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix  
Page 1 of 1