MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Starting up modular for minimal-techno
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Starting up modular for minimal-techno
OskarHD
Hi. I dream of building a modular system.

I've got the polysynths and pads i need, so my thought was to build a system capable of some gritty bass, and at the same time have some modulation capabilites for outboard gear.

My idea looks like this so far.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/256916

I've put them in the order i'm planning on buying them (from top left to right, and then second row). I've also tried to get some multi-purpose modules to get me started. For example the TipTop VCF, that would also work as a VCA.

What i'm definitely lacking is an envelope generator. Although i know maths can do it, i would like some inputs on which other opportunities you guys like, and if there are some essential things i am missing.

I'm in love with the polivoks, that's why i chose the vco and filter.

Cheers
vytis
How are you going to be sequencing? You could kind of do it by feeding EON > Disting in quantizer mode, but I think you badly need a Sample & Hold. Get a dedicated dual S&H such as A-148 or a second Disting. A quad LFO such as A-143-3 or at least Pittsburgh LFO2 would open up the system and free up Maths to do other things.
wminor
Between Maths and Peaks, that's a decent amount of envelope generation for a small system like that. If you wanted more, you could always add a Function, or another Peaks (remember it has a few modes so is super versatile). EDIT: Just noticed the EON as well. I think you're alright for EGs to start with imho.

The Zularic Repetitor seems like an unusual choice with the rest of that. I have one, and I like it, but all it does it generate triggers. You don't seem to have a lot that triggers would do much for... what are you planning to use it for?
OskarHD
Hi. I forgot. I have both an SQ-1 and a Tanzbär which has 2 cv-outs. I planned to used them for triggering.

The zularic repetitor and the clock divider, where meant for some coming percussion modules and outboard stuff, as i like playing with complex rhythms, and simple bass, as opposed to the other way around.

I'm checking out the LFO's

Thx a lot
Orwell
Sorry to say this but euro is not really made for miminal techno - modular, strange techno maybe
Gritty bass is more straight up synth based
I mean it can, euro, but it takes time and a load of money
Don't disappoint yourself , have the dream but be realistic
My advice would be to really think about the genre
Most minimal techno is composed via Roland, elektron, ableton, and maybe with the eurorack adding sound effects or a secondary player in the process
Just saying
thumbs up
JosefK
do you mind providing an example of the type of techno you aspire to create.
NeonCore
Orwell wrote:
Sorry to say this but euro is not really made for miminal techno - modular, strange techno maybe
Gritty bass is more straight up synth based
I mean it can, euro, but it takes time and a load of money
Don't disappoint yourself , have the dream but be realistic
My advice would be to really think about the genre
Most minimal techno is composed via Roland, elektron, ableton, and maybe with the eurorack adding sound effects or a secondary player in the process
Just saying
thumbs up

What? Modular and Techno go together like peanut butter and jelly..

A 4ms Quad Pingable LFO would go well with this rig imo..
intuitionnyc
Orwell wrote:

I very respectfully don't fully agree. While I hear ya that techno has a strong foothold in the realm of the roland boxes, elektron boxes, ableton, etc. I think creative minimal techno relies heavily on interesting sound design. I think you can come up with some great interesting basses and leads with a modular as well as interesting sound effects. It just depends on how you incorporate the tool into your workflow. IMHO, the Roland boxes have been beaten to death. If you can fuse some new interesting gear and sounds into your work, all the better.

I'm assuming by "straight up synth based" you mean fixed architecture synth. Otherwise, how is a modular not "straight up synth based?" Some fixed architecture synths are great for bass (minimoog, bass station, minitaur, etc.). However, there are some great modules in 5U (Mos-Lab, COTK, etc.) and Euro (Macbeth, Livewire, etc.) that make outstanding bass.
suboptimal
I second the QPLFO recommendation. Clocked events are the core of techno and that module is extremely useful in that regard. I love the QPLFO+QCD combination.
Laurent G.
get a 4MS PEG enveloppe. Perfect for rythm / divisions etc.
orangehexagon
Orwell wrote:

it's not the tool, it's how you use it. i've heard some really amazing minimal techno made on modulars as well as tracks made with nothing but ableton.
CF3
As somebody who's a "techno guy"..... Pretty much any modules will work. ALL modules are techno modules. The goal here is to come up with novel sounds, so filling up your rack with the same stuff everybody else has kind of defeats the purpose.
That said... to me it's more about movement and less about the sound sources. I can never have enough modulation! Abstract Data Octocontroller will get you a shitload of squiggle and wiggle in 14hp. And it's clockable. Some sort of CV mixer would go good with it (Shades, TriAtt, Mixiplexer, etc...).
I think what you've got going on so far looks pretty good honestly. And as time goes by you'll figure out what works best for you personally (after running thru 50 modules hihi )
Futuresound
CF3 wrote:
ALL modules are techno modules.

This x 1000000000
cnixon
CF3 wrote:

I'm pretty new to eurorack but I agree with this too, eurorack can be used for any genre you want it to be. That's one of the fun parts about modular synthesis, there is very few limitations.
Orwell
Fair enough, I get it
But I think everyone missed the miminal in the techno reference
Techno is techno
Miminal techno is miminal techno
Micro house is micro house
Sure Other genres and off shoot genres float around these genres
Traditionally, eurorack, would not be a go to for minimal techno - maybe I am just an oldie here, lol
Just a buyer be ware statement really - techno has always been low tech, inexpensive punk tools
But of course if one wants to go with modular for this genre, go for it thumbs up
peteone
start learning west coast synthesis and get appropriate modules, tons of post about that ..
Funky40
Futuresound wrote:
CF3 wrote:

This x 1000000000

..........and that it is the best to start modular with "modular" in mind,
and NOT with any specific type of Music in mind as a strict frame.

To get to the point with a modular one should know it well.
To put "Your" creativity into "Your" Music might require that you can work in a fluffy way...........get the good modules, work from there
dubonaire
Richie Hawtin's minimal techno rack:

chrisso
intuitionnyc wrote:
I think creative minimal techno relies heavily on interesting sound design. I think you can come up with some great interesting basses and leads with a modular as well as interesting sound effects. It just depends on how you incorporate the tool into your workflow.

^^This^^ thumbs up
Orwell
dubonaire wrote:

Ha, smart one! Gave me the giggles
dubonaire
Orwell wrote:

Ha, smart one! Gave me the giggles

thumbs up
ugokcen
When I think of techno I think of effects and saturation. So I would go for Erbe-Verb and Geiger Counter probably. Not that I've used those modules, but that's what I would choose to spend my cash on if I wanted to do techno specifically.

The cheaper option would be to get a fx/return module and bring in the effects that way say with guitar pedals. Many distortion boxes that guitarists don't care much about can sound great on bass or kicks. There are a ton of analog delay options there as well. But you lose the CV control in this scenario which is what modular is all about.
Bonobo
I think what you have to remember with techno in general is certain types of modern techno rely massively on processing. You can of course process any euro sounds in your DAW, but you wont get some of those modern techno loops/sounds straight out of a modular easily.

Case in point, try creating a reverb-EQed-sidechained-distorted bassline with eurorack... its a hell of lot easier and quicker using Ableton. Its also so heavily processed the original sound isn't so important.

You can do amazing techno with ONLY a eurorack, but it definitely lends itself to certain styles or sub genres more than others.
hinterlands303
dubonaire wrote:

You forgot the reverb module with the knob broken off at 100% wet.
hinterlands303
Seriously though, techno is a lot of fun on a modular. Only have a 16 step sequencer? No problem! In fact that's 8 steps too many!

One note - make sure you get the newer version of the doepfer clock divider - the a-160-2. The old one does mathematical rather than musical division which means if you feed it a 16th note clock your division will always be in the off beat, which is no good for techno (but great for reggae!). The newer version divides musically and is way more useful IMO.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3