MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Xaoc Batumi + Poti 2016 batch
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next [all]
Author Xaoc Batumi + Poti 2016 batch
mantiwhore

Since we’re getting lots of inquiries about the new Batumi batch and firmware makeover, let me make a thread for that.

As you might have noticed, new Batumi units have been redesigned hardware-wise. We did that for some technological reasons solely.
No matter the Batumi version you own, it remains compatible with the Poti expander module and any current and upcoming firmware updates.

New batch comes armed with the latest, completely new firmware release, written from scratch by Matthias Puech (mqtthiqs on Muffs), to achieve way better specs,
higher performance and some important extra features. Moreover, there’s also an alternate, “expert” firmware to keep you nerding for even longer.

You can update your unit anytime, using the mini USB connector and a special little app (OSX and Win).
Just download the firmware package bundle from: http://xaocdevices.com/main/batumi, and follow the instruction listed in the readme.txt file.
mantiwhore
NEW FACTORY FIRMWARE

http://xaocdevices.com/manuals/xaoc_batumi_factory_fw.zip

Most of the functionality described in the original manual remains unaltered.
Here’s a list of changes [current file: batumi-v1.0.bin] with respect to the previous version:

1. In QUAD mode, sliders 2, 3, and 4 control the respective channel’s amplitude.
CV inputs are added to this level.

2. In QUAD, PHASE and DIVIDE modes, the second reset input now holds (pauses) all the LFOs,
the third reset input reverses the direction of the waveform, the fourth reset input selects next waveform.
Switching mode will reset the waveform to the jumper position.

3. When exiting ZOOM mode, LEDs will flash if the value of a parameter does not correspond
to the position of its slider when going out of ZOOM mode.

4. In DIVIDE mode, the fine setting will add or subtract 0-3 to the division set outside of ZOOM mode.
It can be used to access divisions not accessible previously.

5. When in SYNC mode, phase will be aligned to the external clock.
mantiwhore
ALTERNATE FIRMWARE

http://xaocdevices.com/manuals/xaoc_batumi_expert_fw.zip

Developed by M. Puech [current file: batumi-alt-v1.0.bin].
It has all the features of the new factory firmware above, plus the following:

- When synced to an external clock, the CV input of the channel controls the frequency division/multiplication (1-8). To go out of Sync and back to free-running LFO, move the slider of this channel.
- Random wave bank (see below)
- New Quad mode (see below)
- Advanced zoom interface (see below)

1. RANDOM WAVE BANK

There are now two banks of assignable waveforms (on the saw/asgn output): the original one – saw, ramp, triangle and trapezoid
– and a new bank of more unpredictable waveforms. To switch bank, press the button for two seconds, until the short LED animation.

The lower jumper, or the lower switch if you have the Poti expander, selects the kind of unpredictivity of the waveforms.
The first kind is classic random voltage sampling: it follows a uniform distribution, successive values are picked uniformly on the whole scale,
and they are uncorrelated to the previous ones. The second kind is the approximation of a simple chaotic system known as Verhulst’s logistic map.
Listening to it carefully, you will hear patterns emerge: sometimes it will fall into a repetitive sequence for a while, then break out of it,
vary around a random center, then jump unexpectedly...

The upper jumper or switch turns interpolation on or off: with interpolation off, the voltages will be stepped like a sample and hold;
with interpolation on, transition between values will be smoothed.

Resetting a channel will immediately produce a new random value, therefore possibly producing
a discontinuity in the otherwise smooth waveform.

In FREE and QUAD mode, the random values of the four channels will be completely unrelated. But in PHASE mode,
only one stream of random value will be produced; the other 3 channels will follow the same stream, only delayed by the phase shift.
Similarly, in DIVIDE mode, the random values of the slave channels (2-4) will be sampled from the master channel (1).

2. NEW QUAD MODE

The QUAD mode changes function completely. The old quadrature mode can be accessed in phase mode by setting the sliders 2, 3 and 4
to their highest position. The phase will then “snap” to quadrature mode. In the new QUAD mode, the channels are summed
in various proportions to obtain original waveforms. The first channel’s slider (and CV input) sets the master frequency;
the three remaining ones are locked to divisions of this frequency (by default, /2, /3 and /4).
Each output is the mix of its own channel’s waveform, plus all the channels on its right.

For instance, the third sine output is the sum of the sinusoids of channels 3 and 4; the first saw output is the sum of the saws of all channels.
Sliders 2, 3 and 4 (and their CV input) set the amplitudes of their respective channel. square outputs a 1-bit version of the sine output:
if sine is positive, it will be +5V, if sine is negative, it will be -5V. Note that the division can be changed with the advanced zoom interface (see below).

The sine outputs can be used in your patches to break the monotony of modulating with sines. Square output odd rhythms when it triggers an envelope;
they will change dramatically when the levels are changed, but will always repeat every 24 steps (depending on the divisions).

You can also use triangle, saw and ramps from the assignable asgn outputs, but there is one exception in this mode: trapezoid has been replaced by a square.
Contrarily to the square output, which will always be binary, these squares are summed together, therefore producing repetitive sampled voltages.
This square waveform is perfect to generate surprising sequences: feed the first assignable output to the FM input of your oscillator and change the levels.

A final tip: try to abuse the first sine output as a VCO, putting an offset in the first CV input.

3. ADVANCED ZOOM INTERFACE

The ZOOM mode changes drastically: instead of a fine control, it now allows to set four different parameters for each channel, including the fine control.
The ZOOM mode acts only on the last channel modified; to select another channel, move its slider a little bit. When long-pressing on the mode button,
the LED corresponding to the focused channel will blink.

Each slider now sets a different parameter:

• Slider 1 fine-tunes the value of the main parameter (frequency, level, phase or division).
• Slider 2 sets the output levels of the sine and saw outputs
• Slider 3 sets the CV attenuation
• Slider 4 sets the phase

There are two exceptions to this assignment, to avoid redundancy:

• In QUAD mode, the level is already set by the main parameter, so slider 2 sets the division value (from 1 to 8).
• In PHASE mode, the phase is already set by the main parameter, so slider 4 allows to divide the frequency (from 1 to 8).
smurf
ordered
MATSmile
What exactly were the changes in hardware, if not a secret of course? Also shouldn't I just go for expert firmware if it already includes all the features of new firmware plus additions?
xaoc_tech
The hardware revision did not affect any user features or parameters, except that current consuption has been lowered thanks to an improved LED driving circuit. The PCBs have been optimized, and the headers on the back are shifted slightly.

Regarding firmware differences, please study the above posts.
drxcm
Amazing update!

I especially like the attenuation built in to the new expert mode - this will come in handy!
Ish
Any word on when these will be available in (US) retail?
MATSmile
xaoc_tech wrote:
The hardware revision did not affect any user features or parameters, except that current consuption has been lowered thanks to an improved LED driving circuit. The PCBs have been optimized, and the headers on the back are shifted slightly.

Regarding firmware differences, please study the above posts.

Oh, good. I was afraid that you guys put better chip in there which would make older modules redundant. I still don't get why I wouldn't go for expert straight away, improved zoom mode, new quad and all the other modes are still there. I don't have poti for random, but that's not biggie.
bobbcorr
I'm blown away.
clusterchord
me too.

the alternative firmware looks mighty interesting. will have to re read the info s well as the manual, to make an educated decision which one to install in my Batumi.

some parts of the above make it sort of a random source with some ASR and multiple S/H behaviour, if im not mistaken.
Cata
Can't wait for analogue haven to get theirs in!
wirelesswine
Ordered from control. !!!!!!!
MATSmile
Ok I updated to expert firmware. Two questions so far. When I want to switch to normal quad mode I set last three slider in phase mode to the max value but led would not switch back to quad. Also holding and reversing and other reset functions would not work, I have jumper set to sync on a back, does it matter?
Edit: Ok reset functionality works needed to adjust pulse width on PW thumbs up
Still not sure about normal quad mode
mqtthiqs
Hi all,

I'm really thrilled about the new batch and the firmware release. It's been a real treat to work with XAOC on this firmware. I'm really looking forward to your comments and feedback! I'll try to keep an eye on this thread for questions...

Also, I'm planning on doing a series of quick Instagram videos to demonstrate the new features, especially of the expert firmware; I'll post them here.

In the meantime... have fun!
sceledra
What version of OSX is this for, it doesn't launch for me? I'm on 10.8.5.
Futuresound
Nice, looks like my search for an LFO is over.
mqtthiqs
sceledra wrote:
What version of OSX is this for, it doesn't launch for me? I'm on 10.8.5.

It's been tested on OSX 10.10 and newer. 10.8 might be slightly too old, sorry. Also, look for the XAOC icon in the dock, sometime it likes to hide behind other windows.
MATSmile
My love for it just doubled.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBv606xnkTG/?taken-by=kthvlh
sceledra
It tries to launch but fails. Terminal comes back with an error as well. Ugh, how am I going to get around this one?
MATSmile
sceledra wrote:
It tries to launch but fails. Terminal comes back with an error as well. Ugh, how am I going to get around this one?

Maybe try updating FTDI drivers
or
you have put update cap wrong way. There should be one pin distance between cap and word "update"
sceledra
MATSmile wrote:
sceledra wrote:

Maybe try updating FTDI drivers
or
you have put update cap wrong way. There should be one pin distance between cap and word "update"

As it turns out my wife has OSX 10.9.5 so with the FTDI update I was able to get it updated. The laptop did need a restart for the drivers to function.

Huzzah!!! w00t
letitbleep
this is absolutely bonkers! THANK YOU we're not worthy
Astronaut FX
Still plans for releasing a black version? Soon?
bobbcorr
Astronaut FX wrote:
Still plans for releasing a black version? Soon?

The nice folks from Xaoc have mentioned on Twitter that panels will be available for those of us with older Batumis and Potis so I think that means...yes smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next [all]
Page 1 of 24