MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Metalbox
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Metalbox
zerosum
http://www.metalbox.com/modules/index.html

Some very interesting modules for acceptable prices smile
I cant post or even view their forum untill the admin approves my account
and sees im not a spambot, but i hope to soon!

Im really interested in the Super Psycho LFO,
but space is an issue so ill wait untill later on, I wont have 3 spaces for that when i start.
However the Psycho LFO and ringmod/multiple I will definitly be getting for sure! Thats a lot of goodness in two spaces!
zerosum
The tube VCA uses a 1J24B and has a feedback knob,woo-hoo!

looks interesting
zerosum
http://www.metalbox.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10
8)
zerosum
Metalbox has Psycho LFO's and Super Psycho LFO's as well an Analog Logic in stock, and Bi-N-Tic Filters.

I just ordered a Psycho LFO 8)
Muff Wiggler
hey, just a little followup - we spoke on the phone about this, but I wanted to get this info into the thread -

first of all, metalbox modules are great. Mike Ford does fantastic assembly work, his solder points are probably smaller and more precise than Blacet's! very cool stuff. Also, you get top-quality faceplates with Metalbox modules, thick, engraved and enamel filled to last a lifetime.

Another thing to realize about Metalbox, is that all the designs are based on Ken Stone/CGS PCBs, which anyone can buy for just a few dollars (i think the psycho is $5) at his site, www.cgs.synth.net (note that you only get a PCB! you need to get all the parts, and solve the problem of creating a front panel yourself!)

i've actually built two Psycho LFOs, they are awesome 'first projects' because they are simple to build, small number of easily available parts, no expensive or fragile parts you are afraid of breaking, and they are immediately fun and useful! I really recommend Ken Stone stuff (he also designs all the PCBs for Bananalogue, and some Modcan and many Cyndustries modules are based on his PCBs), he's the Santa Claus of the modular synth world!

also something to keep in mind - most CGS boards include some-to-many optional features, and I know that Metalbox doesn't always include all the options on all the modules - however I think Michael will build in the options if you request them
Kwote
Ha. Leave it to me to not catch a forum on modules I lust for. lol.

now i only have to know what functions to request when i order my first metalbox module. i'm thinking the wave multiplier might be my first. muff?
lol lol lol

sorry for so many damn posts today. haha. i literally have had almost nothing to do at work and you guys post some interesting threads.
consumed
i would *highly* recommend the wave multiplier. it is not just a novelty item. i think it is an important core module for an entire category of synthesis.
Kwote
consumed wrote:
i would *highly* recommend the wave multiplier. it is not just a novelty item. i think it is an important core module for an entire category of synthesis.

mind expanding on that comment?

but yeah that is indeed the first metalbox module i want. in fact it was gonna be my very next module bought, but i just can't resist getting a VCO and midi/cv converter right now so i can make the full transition to Modular synthesis.
consumed
wavefolding/multiplication/nonlinear waveshaping is the same thing. you dont typically see it in your bread and butter synths. kurzweil was a remarkable exception.

i was first exposed to waveshaping when i got my k2000rs many many years ago. the k2000's very deep synth section is configurable via algorithms. some of the algorithms contain an option called a SHAPER which always just sounded like really fucked up distortion to me. anyway, i was drawn to it. i used to put an envelope on the shaper amount to create really expressive, screaming growly bass sounds. i used it all over a downtempo track i wrote back in 2000...ill post a link to it soon. that makes me think--i havent tried to set up patches in the analog domain that i used to set up on the k2000.
zerosum
Quote:
i used to put an envelope on the shaper amount to create really expressive, screaming growly bass sounds. i used it all over a downtempo track i wrote back in 2000...ill post a link to it soon. that makes me think--i havent tried to set up patches in the analog domain that i used to set up on the k2000.

I would really like to hear that.
consumed
here's a tune that was released on a label called "subtitles" back in 2001:

http://www.twango.com/media/YouFeel.public/YouFeel.10047

the "shaper" effect can be heard throughout the track, for example at 1:07, 1:15, 1:35, 1:57 etc.
Muff Wiggler
for me the Metalbox Wave Multiplier is near the end of the list of MetalBox modules to pick up - the availability of the excellent Banalogue WVX at a much lower price causes this effect, as both are absolutely exceptional and very useful modules

if you are looking for a good Metalbox module to order first, for me personally it's the Sequential Switch and the Burst Generator!
Kwote
i need to invest in a new 10u skb. i was originally gonna go with with 4 to 6 of the 6u's but i realize 3 10u's is more realistic. i know pretty much exactly what modules i want and how they'll be organized but the biggest thing i'm realizing is sometimes you can't pick up modules in the order you planned so i'll have to deal with organization later.
Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:
for me the Metalbox Wave Multiplier is near the end of the list of MetalBox modules to pick up - the availability of the excellent Banalogue WVX at a much lower price causes this effect, as both are absolutely exceptional and very useful modules

if you are looking for a good Metalbox module to order first, for me personally it's the Sequential Switch and the Burst Generator!

i checked up on the WVX. it's actually only 15 dollars difference. so going with Metalbox's for an extra 15 gets you 3 frac spaces instead of 2, more knobs and i/o's and just an overall cooler look. atleast imo.

the sequential switch and burst generator seem pretty cool though. on the list for sure. i guess now that i'm giving up the mfb for a blacet VCO i'll probably be more inclined towards the sequential since i'll be without the onboard sequencer the mfb provided and I'm starting to really love sequencing.
Muff Wiggler
ah didn't realize the price differential was so close, I thought the MetalBox Wave Multi was like $500 or so..

for $15 the Metalbox definately gives you a lot more!
consumed
i set up a patch with the wave mult and have been playing with it the last two nights. i seem to always use the wave folder only. i dont seem to find much use for the lockhart and the grinder folders. does anyone have favorite uses for these?

alison project had both cgs wave multiplier and the bananalogue wvx, and anded up keeping the wave mult. it would be fun to a/b them but i just dont have the luxury of spending the money to do it.
Muff Wiggler
I actually bought the WVX from The Alison Project! Small world

I don't really use the lockhart component either, sounds a little thin to me. I like the standard wavefolder a LOT though, in particular when feeding it a continuous CV

another great Metalbox module that I have is the 8008 Bass Drum. Loads of fun, and it really dials "that sound".

I had a Digital Noise Metalbox as well, which I didn't care for the noise, but the binary outputs were AWESOME for triggering stuff. I traded it however, to secure the second Dark Star module that I badly wanted to get. I'll get another one some day, just for the binary outs. I may just build the CGS board though
Kwote
consumed wrote:
i set up a patch with the wave mult and have been playing with it the last two nights. i seem to always use the wave folder only.

for some reason i kept thinking as i scrolled through your post, there was an audio file attatched. lol
Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:
another great Metalbox module that I have is the 8008 Bass Drum. Loads of fun, and it really dials "that sound".

i'm desperate for some good drum sounds. do you think with one 8008 and one cynare i'd have enough to get some good beats going?
Muff Wiggler
had to say - haven't tried a cynare, but it looks great and immensely powerful

i think you can only get one percussion sound at a time out of it, so as long as 'bass plus one other drum sound' constitutes 'good beats' for you, yeah you're covered

but i'm guessing you'll want more

personally i'm adding a dual drum, then a dual chime unit to my 8008, then I'll consider the Cynare. At that point I'll have a lot of drums sounds I can trigger within the modular

untill then, my Electribe rocks pretty well for drums, i must say!
Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:
had to say - haven't tried a cynare, but it looks great and immensely powerful

i think you can only get one percussion sound at a time out of it, so as long as 'bass plus one other drum sound' constitutes 'good beats' for you, yeah you're covered

but i'm guessing you'll want more

personally i'm adding a dual drum, then a dual chime unit to my 8008, then I'll consider the Cynare. At that point I'll have a lot of drums sounds I can trigger within the modular

untill then, my Electribe rocks pretty well for drums, i must say!

actually it would. i like my beats ultra stripped down in a mostly hip-hop kinda style. of course i'd like to get the dual chime and dual drum too though. i can't really mess with anything non modular anymore, it just doesn't suit my style of work.

right now i have to manually arrange drum sounds off a record. it's like playing a drum kit but with extremely limited range as it's hard to consistently manipulate a short sequence of kick/hat/snares on the turntable over and over again for 3-5 minutes or more. it's cool though. i like playing the role of a drummer with skratching but sound quality wise it tends to lack compared to some good analog drum modules.
synthetic
Does anyone have sound samples of the Metalbox 8008? Sounds like a cool module for the price. Of course I would have to design a custom MOTM faceplate for it, so it would cost me twice as much. :(
Muff Wiggler
i'll make some samples of it next time i've got the modular hooked up to my PC for recording 8)
synthetic
I emailed Metalbox and they said they would sell me one without a front panel. smile Unfortunately I'm already committed to MOTM modules, but I'll take them up on it in another paycheck or two.
Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:
i'll make some samples of it next time i've got the modular hooked up to my PC for recording 8)

yes. you will. lol
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2