MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Yves Usson Gate Delay patch idea
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Yves Usson Gate Delay patch idea
matt.patey
Just had an idea on how to use this module, but since I don't have one I thought I'd outline my idea here, and maybe someone can try it out or give some feedback:

1) output A of 2410 VCA to GD gate input
2) ensure gate inputs on GD are linked
3) output of first delay goes to say an EG-1, which triggers a sound
4) output of second delay goes to another module and an EG-1 (via a mult., EG-1 used as a delay), whose output goes into input B of the 2410 VCA

My thinking is that you could get some interesting feedback patterns here and possibly get an audio rate signal if the delays and second EG-1 were set fast enough. I guess I'm trying to think of how you can create gate feedback loops like you can with audio. Of course gates can't decay like audio can since a 'decayed' gate would mean no gate at all, but I think it could be interesting to experiment with the timing of the gates in a gate feedback loop.

Comments?
Cat-A-Tonic
I have the modules you mentioned so I'll try it out and get back to you.

I find the 'Slew' outs on the Gate Delay to be incredibly useful as AS envelopes. Opening and closing the STG Wavefolder with one EG and modulating the gain with an EG with different settings is the bee's knees.

The only gripe I have with the Gate Delay is that I haven't figured out how to get long delays out of it yet. The knobs only seem to work for about the first 1/9th of their travel.
Do I need to adjust some trimpots, or use a boosted/buffered gate signal for it to trigger at longer delays?
suitandtieguy
keep in mind the YUGD only delays the _beginning_ of a gate signal, not the end of it.

at full clockwise, you should be able to hold a key and have the delayed v-trig signal fire 12 or 13 seconds into the note.

btw, nice to see people using this stuff. most of the feedback i get is about how pretty it is.
matt.patey
Since I don't have a YUGD (yet) I attempted something similar using a couple Blacet EG-1s instead:

1) EG-1 #2 inverted out to VCA2410 in A
2) VCA2410 out A to EG-1 #1 gate in
3) EG-1 #1 normal out to EG-1 #2 gate in

Set EG-1 #2 set to Sustain/LFO mode, modulate its time base, sustain and decay, and set attack to something above 0. I got interesting results when using either of the EG-1s as FM sources or as FM multipliers (e.g. determining how much a Micro LFO would modulate my VCO) and especially when I incorporated a Noise Ring into the mix...

OK so I'm getting a little off-topic here, but I think you could achieve similar effects using a YUGD. Too bad the delay time on the YUGD isn't CV controllable meh but I'd still love to have one.
Cat-A-Tonic
Quote:
The only gripe I have with the Gate Delay is that I haven't figured out how to get long delays out of it yet. The knobs only seem to work for about the first 1/9th of their travel.

I was overtaxing my power supply and that is why I couldn't get the full range out of the Gate Delay. Now it is fine. Mr. Green
suitandtieguy
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
I was overtaxing my power supply and that is why I couldn't get the full range out of the Gate Delay. Now it is fine. Mr. Green

wow. i had no idea that would happen.

thanks for the field report.
Cat-A-Tonic
Quote:
Just had an idea on how to use this module, but since I don't have one I thought I'd outline my idea here, and maybe someone can try it out or give some feedback:

1) output A of 2410 VCA to GD gate input
2) ensure gate inputs on GD are linked
3) output of first delay goes to say an EG-1, which triggers a sound
4) output of second delay goes to another module and an EG-1 (via a mult., EG-1 used as a delay), whose output goes into input B of the 2410 VCA

Better late than never.... Here is a demo of your patch idea.
...or at least I think this is what you were getting at...
http://share.ovi.com/media/Cat-A-Tonic.public/Cat-A-Tonic.10009
The feedback pattern isn't chaotic at all, but rather very precise and controlable. The EG1 really shines at controlling the VCO here.
Some of these patch details (in italics) regarding modulation could be sliced out and it would still work, but this is what I did.

It goes like this:
Window Comp. inv out to Dual Lin VCA in,
Dual Lin VCA out to Gate Delay in (both channels linked),
GD CH1 delay out to EG1 gate in,
GD CH2 delay out to Window Comp. gate in,

GD Ch1 slew out split to: EG1 decay cv, Wave Folder gain cv, & Improb. Drive S&H cv,
GD Ch2 slew out split to: Murf lfo/sweep cv, & VCO 1v/oct
EG1 inv out to Improb. Drive filter cv,
EG1 out split to: Binary Zone clock in, & VCO +/-oct,
Window Comp. out split to: VCO fm, & Murf rate cv,
Binary Zone out to Miniwave bank select cv,
VCO saw to Miniwave in,
Miniwave out to Wave Folder offset cv,
VCO sine to Wave Folder in,
Wave Folder out to VCA Quad Mix inImprob. Drive S&H out to VCO cv,
Improb. Drive noise mix out to MixProc. ChD to Murf in,
Murf out 1&2 to MixProc. CH.A&B,
MixProc. out to VCA quad mix in,

The only tweaking is the rate of the Gate Delay Channel 2 (through its full range).
It determines the loop point of the whole patch as gated from the Window Comp.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1