MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

259e vs 261e?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author 259e vs 261e?
dkcg
I'm starting with basically a System 1. Should I get one of each of these, two 261e? What are the benefits of the 259 in a system? Hopefully a ZOe will come eventually.
infinite7
dkcg wrote:
I'm starting with basically a System 1. Should I get one of each of these, two 261e? What are the benefits of the 259 in a system? Hopefully a ZOe will come eventually.

if you have a zeroscillator on order i'd hold off and either go with one 261e for now or go two.
if you want the digital alliasing the 259e is fantastic at that, as well it's really nice at percussive sounds as you can morph between the digital noise (hat or snare) to the more traditional waves (kick-ish).
i liked the 259e, but i found the 261e more pleasing in the end. but that is
just my opinion.
dougcl
The 259e allows you to emulate natural sounds by morphing. The 261e is more traditional, but it features a lovely wave shaper. If I had to choose one, I would definitely take the 259e because it is far more sonically flexible. There's really no comparison in the capability. I would however make sure you have either a 291e or 285e in your setup if you have only 259e's so that you can AM the oscillators. A 210e is nice as well to attenuate an LFO audio signal from the mod osc to modulate the mem skew. Get one of each if you are planning on getting two anyway.
cbm
I think that one of each is a good idea. They each have some great capabilities.
dkcg
I think one of each it is. I wasn't sure if the 259e was still available or not, I think i'm making the call this week, sending the check as soon as paypal sends mine.
prototek
Don. I think it really depends on what type of sounds you dig the most. I included 2 x 261e in my order. I did so because it's the more "traditional" of the pair as Doug said. Did you think about getting a 258v from Mark V? I think that plus a 261e would be a powerful combo. Are there any 200e owners in your area? It would make your decision easier.

Regards,
John
amnesia
get one of each. I think I prefer the 259e sound, then add some Verbos VCO's and buy anything Chris Muir makes :-)
dkcg
Well, I do like the aliasing and the artifacts on the HD, which is why I never updated mine. So I don't mind the aliasing one bit (no pun intended). I'm learning towards one of each, just so I have have the widest palette of sound. The morphing on the 259e seems like a really attractive feature, and should go well with the ZO morphing which I really like a lot. If it can do snares and hihat type sounds, I assume it does a nice noise sound. I was worried about noise sources, so 2 birds with one stone on that. I really hope the ZOe gets finished this year and into systems. After I learned more about the differences in voltages and signal paths for the 200e, I can see why it's taking a while.

So I like the Model15 a LOT. Which is based on the 258, which the 258v is a clone of, so is the logic sound (again no pun intended)? Would I like the 258v for the same sort of reasons I like the M15? Is the sync hard, soft or variable? Because a synced M15 is one of my favorite waveforms to start with.
amnesia
I also like the Model 15 but I cant hear any similarities between that and the 258v.
dkcg
amnesia wrote:
I also like the Model 15 but I cant hear any similarities between that and the 258v.

thanks. two less selling decisions for me to make.
prototek
dkcg wrote:
I was worried about noise sources, so 2 birds with one stone on that.

No need to worry about noise, the 266e (Source of Uncertainty) will give you at least your garden-variety palette of that. But to be safe, someone should chime in on that because I have the 266 which is slightly different than the 266e. I do remember hearing some great HH sounds in the three "Buchla drum beat" videos Doug did. I believe his source for the HH noise was the 266e. Doug?
dkcg wrote:

So I like the Model15 a LOT. Which is based on the 258, which the 258v is a clone of, so is the logic sound (again no pun intended)? Would I like the 258v for the same sort of reasons I like the M15?

Tricky question... I like the M15 too. Peter G did claim to have used the 258 core as his model when building the M15. If what you like about the M15 are it's "lush, rich, etc...." waveforms (and sound too), then your logic is sound because the 258v can do that easily.
Also worth considering.... I've been using exclusively pre-1983 synths (with small exception) for a long while. I prefer the sound that that kind of technology creates. And while I'm in absolute awe of both the 259e & 261e, when I hear a 200e user that owns a 258v, it hits the spot. Once again, it's a very personal thing. On the other hand I've never been more excited to get my hands on both of the 261e's I ordered. confused
Minimoog56
both/and versus either/or
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1