MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

SuperHAL-yScatTalkLinguistExponentialVoltage...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author SuperHAL-yScatTalkLinguistExponentialVoltage...
noddyspuncture
Here is my very first attempt at using my new Scat-Talker...
Hope you like it... hihi

Cheers,
Tom

arock
we're not worthy applause thumbs up eek!
sduck
Super! Guinness ftw!
JohnLRice
applause applause applause applause applause applause
Wow! WOW Wow!

Details on how you done did it, please! Great job! we're not worthy This is fun!
kindredlost
Doutious-Ali-Expeistic-Fragicali-Rupous... but that would be going too far. SlayerBadger!
Thalassa
Great !!! It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time!
Eric the Red
Have we started translating our movies so the robot overlords can understand them???

This was a great listen and watch.

-Eric
noddyspuncture
JohnLRice wrote:
Wow! WOW Wow!

Details on how you done did it, please! Great job! we're not worthy This is fun!

Thanks for all the comments guys,

Well John, first I had to get used to the Scat unit. If you remember I found it wasn't behaving predictably, which was really a must if I was to stand any chance with an 'epic' like this was going to be. I have gotten used to the CV2 'spread' control on my Midi>Cv unit - but I really do need to build that little CV compensating circuit like I made for my Modular.

So what I did was to watch that video and decide exactly what I was going to do and add. I definitely wanted to do those Supercali choruses.

I used those files I downloaded - the Excel and also the Phoneme chart and I initially experimented with the long Supercali word. I used my old Atari running Cubase and used the key editor to put in the individual events and also tweak the positions and lengths.

The positions and lengths are really important..!

Once you find a way of working it can be quite a fast process getting them all in. It's moving them around and tweaking them to perfection that's the hard part.

I found that sometimes just using the the numbers suggested in that Excel spread sheet didn't sound quite right and that adding just another Phoneme in between selected suggested ones made a lot of difference. It might be a Phoneme that you just wouldn't thing would fit there... unrelated to the word you are working on. Strange, but it works... almost like "bending" the word another way. And then it really jumps out at you...!

Once I had assembled the short individual phrases and my Cubase 'song' was full of the ones I needed, I then started sampling the audio from the Disney video. I cut that up into short segments/phrases and then triggered them one at a time with a Cubase Midi note... and tried to slide the Scat parts along with it so they fitted time-wise. And there's where the really hard work started.

It's all very fast... and I hadn't taken the speed into account originally. So I had to start resetting all the event lengths and making them closer bunched together to make each word faster. But if the events were too close they cut each other off and it didn't sound right anymore. It was quite critical.

Once the phrases were working time-wise I then added the velocity values to make the pitch follow the tune in the samples. I did these one at a time and when a phrase was right I recorded it onto my DAT machine, and moved on to the next one.

I've been on this for weeks... a bit at a time, because you do get punch-drunk... and need a break to keep your sanity...ha! confused

With the verses I finally decided just to add a simple harmony note. That was the easiest bit.

The "um-diddl-iddl-iddle" bit was the hardest to get in at the speed needed... and it gets faster as the song progresses. Those few parts took me ages.

Finally, when I was happy I had all the parts recorded, I ran the audio from the DAT into my PC and converted them all into mp3's. I then took those mp3's to my Mac and using iMovie I added each segment to the video and adjusted volume levels... making the Scat Talker probably a bit too loud in the mix... but, hey that's the whole point if you want it to be heard... hihi

A labour of love if there ever was one...!? nanners

OK, so who's doing next to do one...? How about "Bohemian Rhapsody"... anyone...?

Cheers,
Tom
ualslosar
Wow...Great Job

Very impressive
Chrutil
OMG that was hysterical!
Now I just want to bail work and go home and make the scat talker sing.
Dave Peck
Yikes! Talking about 'jumping into the deep end'! I would have thought you might have started with something a lot easier, like a slow Gregorian chant or something Mr. Green

Awesome.
defutura
Has anyone made it say "I'm perfect! Are you?" yet?
JohnLRice
defutura wrote:
Has anyone made it say "I'm perfect! Are you?" yet?
Good idea! thumbs up
Bryan B
The amount of work you put into this! applause

I am amazed you could pull off the words, let alone have it in time and pitch along with the video sync. Wow!
dslocum
LMFAO. Great job!
bwhittington
Bryan B wrote:
The amount of work you put into this! applause

No kidding! I'm very impressed with what you guys have done with this module, but if ever there was a module that isn't for me, this one is it. lol I have nowhere near the patience or intrigue to assemble something like this myself. Once my eyes glazed over from staring at a spreadsheet, I'd have to content myself with broken Speak & Spell sounds.

Hats off for the perseverance and fun result!
dslocum
Tom,

Can you repost that please? I can no longer open it. Probably something to do with Flash Player. :-(

Thanks
JohnLRice
dslocum wrote:
Tom,

Can you repost that please? I can no longer open it. Probably something to do with Flash Player. :-(

Thanks
Still working OK for me. (Windows 10, Google Chrome)
sduck
Yes, vimeo has stopped working on some platforms here. Sorry, I'll advise the tech crew, but don't expect any miracles.

Usually if you click on the vimeo name in the bottom right it'll open the video on the vimeo site in a new tab, where it'll work. At least here on my mac in safari that works.
JohnLRice
sduck wrote:
Yes, vimeo has stopped working on some platforms here. Sorry, I'll advise the tech crew, but don't expect any miracles.

Usually if you click on the vimeo name in the bottom right it'll open the video on the vimeo site in a new tab, where it'll work. At least here on my mac in safari that works.
FWIW I noticed a yes/no prompt earlier today that said something like "Allow Muff Wiggler to run Flash plug-in?" I clicked yes and Vimeo videos play fine now.
noddyspuncture
dslocum wrote:
Tom,

Thanks

Hi Doug - I pm'd you the direct link. Let me know if it worked.
By the way here's one I completely forgot about... it's over an year ago now, a synth meet in Huddersfield where I was demoing the ScatTalker.
Sorry about the crappy sound, it was done on a phone camera... but you'll get the idea... hihi

Cheers,
Tom

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1