how are you patching your NLC sloth?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., luketeaford, lisa, Kent

jwm
Veteran Wiggler

how are you patching your NLC sloth?

Post by jwm » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:10 am

so, i've had a super sloth (the 16 min cycle version) for about a month or so, and i haven't really been able find a use for it in a way that compliments what i've wanted to do with euro (slow, evolving) - i get how it works and i know that it takes quite a while for any change to be apparent..maybe i'm just doing it wrong..

anyway, just curious to see how you all might be implementing it in your systems

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:23 am

So far i only use it for Clouds since it sounds terrible if the sound is completely static, the Sloth is perfect for it.

cold_fashioned
Common Wiggler

Post by cold_fashioned » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:50 am

Interesting. I built the ~15 second version, and have recently been thinking about converting it to the ~15 minute version, to get that slower change. I usually use mine as a sort of LFO to modulate the cutoff on a filter. It does some crazy things when used to modulate the rate on the syntrhotek eko delay.

Scatterfold
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Scatterfold » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:02 am

I use it a fair bit patched into my Cold Mac, to create different variants of the same very slow CV, and then route those to all sorts of places: rise and/or fall channels of Maths; shape, angle or fold on the DPO; or influencing clocks, etc.

Creating inverted/folded versions, etc. routed to various places really helps prevent certain elements from being totally static. I.e. this track, where the SuperSloth is behind almost everything in some way:

[bandcamp width=100% height=120 album=3219037243 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false artwork=small]

I set up the patch over an hour or so; then just let it do it's thing out of my control...

jwm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jwm » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:27 am

yeah, filter cutoff is about the only thing i could get a remotely interesting response from. at one point i think i used it as cv control over the sine on the a-147 which pretty much slows it to a crawl, but then once the chaos flips over to the other well (at least i think thats whats happening), it just goes audio rate and seems out of place in the patch

will have to revisit it with clouds and see what can be done there.

Scatterfold - killer track! thats definitely the direction i'd like to head in. perhaps i just need some more time with it.

thanks all-much appreciated, keep it coming :goo:

a773
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by a773 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:17 am

Scatterfold wrote: ...this track, where the SuperSloth is behind almost everything in some way...
Nice track!

smirky
Common Wiggler

Post by smirky » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:23 pm

@Scatterfold: Which version of the sloth is behind this track? I'm very tempted by these but can't decide how slow I want it to be.

Scatterfold
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Scatterfold » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:32 pm

smirky wrote:@Scatterfold: Which version of the sloth is behind this track? I'm very tempted by these but can't decide how slow I want it to be.
It's the middle one (12-16 minute). If I had the room to spare in my case I'd love to have the triple sloth, but don't really have anything I can sacrifice...
Soundcloud

[bandcamp width=400 height=307 album=165726047 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=333333 artwork=small]

smirky
Common Wiggler

Post by smirky » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:58 pm

Scatterfold wrote:It's the middle one (12-16 minute). If I had the room to spare in my case I'd love to have the triple sloth, but don't really have anything I can sacrifice...
Thanks! That's the one I'm leaning toward. Sounds like it moves at a very nice clip for my purposes. :tu:

ldd23
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ldd23 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:03 pm

Yeah, that track is really nice.

sloth713
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sloth713 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:06 pm

smirky look into the triple sloth if you have the space, it is so nice to have options and all three sloths in a nice package

smirky
Common Wiggler

Post by smirky » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:14 pm

sloth713 wrote:smirky look into the triple sloth if you have the space, it is so nice to have options and all three sloths in a nice package
Yeah, I wish I could spare 12HP but I'm not sure that it makes sense in my small set-up. It definitely looks like a great module though.

sloth713
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sloth713 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:23 pm

smirky wrote:
sloth713 wrote:smirky look into the triple sloth if you have the space, it is so nice to have options and all three sloths in a nice package
Yeah, I wish I could spare 12HP but I'm not sure that it makes sense in my small set-up. It definitely looks like a great module though.
If you can only go with one I would recommend the super sloth. I find that i use it the most, for obvious applications like filter cut offs and modulating fx parameters.

On a more on topic note I have a blast sending my sloth through an attenuator then mixing it in with a 1 V/oct signal to make a patch feel more organic.

basicbasic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by basicbasic » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:11 pm

sloth713 wrote:On a more on topic note I have a blast sending my sloth through an attenuator then mixing it in with a 1 V/oct signal to make a patch feel more organic.
I find using the sloth with an attenuator to be almost always necessary for me as I like it for more subtle variations.

One thing that is nice is if you have a sequence with two closely tuned oscillators adding the slightest bit of sloth-mod to one of them yields some nice subtle detuning.

I use the module in every patch and can't recommend it enough.

rampy
Common Wiggler

Post by rampy » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:15 pm

I have the triple sloth and use it in nearly every patch. In addition to what others have said, I've had interesting results using some of the slower outputs to modulate Follow amount of the DPO, various parameters on Metropolis via the Aux cv ins, feedback amount on delay, xy cv on Planar which is modulating several other things, pitch cv on digital noise used for percussion... Tons of fun to be had jamming it with stackcables and routing them all over your system.

hinterlands303
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hinterlands303 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:18 pm

basicbasic wrote:
I find using the sloth with an attenuator to be almost always necessary for me as I like it for more subtle variations.
Same here. Try attenuating the sloth and then using it to modulate the decay of an envelope. It's great for modulating the modulator to breath life into your patch. Run an lfo into a VCA and then send the sloth through an attenuator with positive offset to determine how much of the LFO gets through. Then run the LFO to one of the audible parameters that you want to modulate.

Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:42 pm

hinterlands303 wrote:
basicbasic wrote:
Same here. Try attenuating the sloth and then using it to modulate the decay of an envelope. It's great for modulating the modulator to breath life into your patch. Run an lfo into a VCA and then send the sloth through an attenuator with positive offset to determine how much of the LFO gets through. Then run the LFO to one of the audible parameters that you want to modulate.
I am just building a pair of sloths and it occurred to me that there is enough empty panel space for two long shaft trimmers as attenuators for the cv outputs.

basicbasic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by basicbasic » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:01 am

Jumbuktu wrote:I am just building a pair of sloths and it occurred to me that there is enough empty panel space for two long shaft trimmers as attenuators for the cv outputs.
If you do this could you detail it out for the simpletons amongst us (meaning me)?

far
Wiggling with Experience

Post by far » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:09 am

Can't imagine my modular without the 16min Sloth, would be very static. I also 2nd the attenuator idea and just have a go at throwing it into anything cv. I find adding it to other cv produces interesting 'organic' results ie. a lfo.

bassnode
Wiggling with Experience

Re: how are you patching your NLC sloth?

Post by bassnode » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:26 am

jwm wrote:so, i've had a super sloth (the 16 min cycle version) for about a month or so...
anyway, just curious to see how you all might be implementing it in your systems
I'd check out Severance's Youtube channel. He uses the sloth from time to time and meticulously documents all his patches. Example:
[video][/video]

Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:21 am

basicbasic wrote:
Jumbuktu wrote:I am just building a pair of sloths and it occurred to me that there is enough empty panel space for two long shaft trimmers as attenuators for the cv outputs.
If you do this could you detail it out for the simpletons amongst us (meaning me)?
I had a look tonight. I have a couple of alpha right angle pots lying around. They would bolt on the front panel and easily clear the PCB. All I have to do then is bend up one pin on each socket and wire the pots in between the socket and the PCB. The hardest part will probably be drilling the holes without cracking the Perspex. Will look at it this weekend.

usw
Veteran Wiggler

Post by usw » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:01 am

@Scatterfold thanks for sharing this track !

Scatterfold
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Scatterfold » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:06 am

usw wrote:@Scatterfold thanks for sharing this track !
You're (all) very welcome. Glad you like it. :zen:
Soundcloud

[bandcamp width=400 height=307 album=165726047 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=333333 artwork=small]

colossus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by colossus » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:40 am

This thread has definitely solidified the super sloth as my next build.

taintedsun
Wiggling with Experience

Post by taintedsun » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:56 am

jwm, the sloth is great, you've just got to keep at it until you find its sweet spot in your system. Plug it into something where a normal LFO would be a nightmare... like delay time. I used to pair mine with a Clouds but I recently switched it out and placed it in this small box:

The possible patch points are fairly obvious given the limited nature of the box but filter cutoff and resonance, the mix between filter 1 and 2, the interval on the Telharmonic, they're all great (and, bonus, every input has attenuation).
Ambient/experimental/drone music: Tectorum Tapes, a digital/cassette label. Vol Three & Vol. Four features six Muffs users, 50 limited edition cassettes available here.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”