MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Serge anti whaling vessel...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Serge anti whaling vessel...
jam457
Just saw the new documentary "How to Change the World". A bunch of you have probably seen this before but it had some really cool footage of William E. Jackson with his diy serge synthesizing whale noises to attempt some sort of communication....

This kind of thing is why I got into synthesizers in the first place....so cool...

Hanz
Scans from Synapse magazine - March 1977: http://www.cyndustries.com/synapse/intro.cfm

Borellus
Very cool --but the thought of exposing my Serge to saltwater spray sends a chill down my spine. It would be kind of fun to freak out... er, I mean "communicate with" the whales, though...
jam457
Borellus wrote:
Very cool --but the thought of exposing my Serge to saltwater spray sends a chill down my spine. It would be kind of fun to freak out... er, I mean "communicate with" the whales, though...

most definitely is a bold move! Zodiacs are pretty small too!
jam457
Also this Synapse article is really cool! Would love to see more current writing in this vein on synthesis technology, etc...
Joe.
Well, that finally solves the mystery of the bloop eek!
Edenmononym
Apparently Macbook hard discs can survive.

This makes me want to build a Lunetta.
waveglider
LoFi Junglist wrote:
Well, that finally solves the mystery of the bloop eek!

Yup, sounded Serge to me!!
MatttheKat
I could be mistaken, but That looks like the Serge on the serge fans page that was supposed to be put in a museum. The graphics are pretty out there.
chamomileshark
I think I'd seen this mentioned somewhere - thanks for posting this!
jam457
yea it does look similar to that one for sure...if not the exact one maybe the same builder? That touch controller strip thing on the top right looks really interesting...
Vsyevolod
I met Will at Serge Modular HQ back in 1977. He would drop by periodically over the years. His instrument (as shown in the photos) is said to be the very first Serge produced in the CalArts days. He brought it to the 40th year Serge reunion last year where is was on view but not sounding. It has pin connectors instead of banana jacks.

Will gave a talk at the reunion about his time on board the Greenpeace ship. He said that he was not really wanted on board by the captain as he had no real way to understand him and what he was doing. He had to fight like crazy just to go out in the Zodiac to do his thing with the whales.

Made for great PR though...

One of my favourite albums during that time period was a collaboration that Will did with Stefan Weisser aka Z'ev. Unfortunately not available these days.

Stephen

vgermuse
Some close up photos of Will's Serge from the 40th Reunion for your delectation:

jam457
Vsyevolod wrote:
He said that he was not really wanted on board by the crew as they had no real way to understand him and what he was doing. He had to fight like crazy just to go out in the Zodiac to do his thing with the whales.

The documentary sort of touched on that a bit but not too much, I got the sense when watching that he was really not too welcome sad to hear that was the case...I guess his synth looks pretty bizarre/amazing even by todays standards...

Would love to hear this album you speak of..

Also nice to see those close ups, looks like a really cool system!
Vsyevolod
Just finished watching the documentary, had forgot about it until now. Thanks for mentioning it.

Stephen

Petrichor
Nebulae, Tyme Sefari, Phonogene, Clouds, and the Ginko Sampleslicer all look fun.
Vsyevolod
Here's a picture from the 40th reunion last year. L to R, Will, myself, Serge, unknown, unknown, Todd.

Stephen

Triglav
Longer video:
Hanz
So - this left me wondering... was this actually ‘communication’ or rather one-way broadcasting into the ocean?
ersatzplanet
Back in the day I owned a couple of Synthi AKS and a VCS3. I used to do some sound work for local ad companies doing oddball sound zingers and stuff. I ones did this gig where the studio was doing this poetry record that had the vocals overdubbed on top of some recordings of whale sounds. The hydrophone they used was pretty bad and there was a lot of distortions and noise. I was hired to do synthetic whale sounds that would be added to the real ones to beef them up and mask the worst part of the recordings they had. I spent most of the day jamming to the whale sounds while they recorded everything. I got really good at it. The joysticks on the EMS stuff was the ticket, that and tons of great reverb that the audio had. I never heard the finished product, but apparently that ended up multi tracking the stuff I did and mixing it much hotter in the mix than they originally planned. It ended up mostly synthetic.
notmiserlouagain
Hanz wrote:
So - this left me wondering... was this actually ‘communication’ or rather one-way broadcasting into the ocean?

Haven´t seen the documentary yet, but that would be an interesting point!
dkcg
Hanz wrote:

My guess is wasn't really communication, but it could be a conversation in as much as two musicians playing off each other can be a conversation.

I think some sort of linguist running it as an experiment with a hypothesis or some sort of basic "vocabulary" and a more scientific method of research would have more validity as scientific rather than an experimental music piece.

Cool that he did it, but it's about as scientific as the rocket dude trying to prove the earth is flat.
MindMachine
Will Jackson from Rhythm n Noise (Cellar M)! Rex's old band. Excellent stuff.
ModHiisi
Hanz wrote:

Actual communication would probably warrant some special K usage... A la John C. Lilly.

Not to say that that wasn't the case though...
J3RK
I would just be worried that the sound I played said "come and eat the tasty morsels on deck" in whale.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2